Koch on URI BB Commitment

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Koch on URI BB Commitment

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Schools like Wichita St. and Illinois St. would be nice.

After beating Cincy at Mohegan, I doubt we'll get P5's to even go there to play us.

Since we will probably be a top 50 team next season.....hopefully someone or two will take the bait. How could it hurt them?
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote:Schools like Wichita St. and Illinois St. would be nice.

After beating Cincy at Mohegan, I doubt we'll get P5's to even go there to play us.

Since we will probably be a top 50 team next season.....hopefully someone or two will take the bait. How could it hurt them?
While that's a good point to think about, I always though the reason we were a tough schedule is because we were so inconsistent. We have always been "dangerous" even during the Baron years. Capable of beating anyone at anytime...but weaponized inconsistency. The risk of losing to us wasn't the problem, it was the risk that we would melt down late in the year and have the potential to be a bad loss had we beaten a good team. Hopefully this run will end that stigma.

Also, the fact that Syracuse and the P5 teams that didn't make it into the dance this year were hammered for their weak OOC schedules and lack of quality road/neutral site wins gives me hope that some schools will be looking for a higher RPI opponent or two to keep their OOC SOS out of the 150+ range.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Not too many P5 teams are going to play a dangerous mid on the mid's home court.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Not too many P5 teams are going to play a dangerous mid on the mid's home court.
Then I guess we'll just have to take our ball and join the ACC...... :D :lol:
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:
adam914 wrote:So for someone who is interested in donating for the first time, what is the best/easiest way to do that. I've already donated, but for someone who is on the fence and wants to know how to go about it this seems like a good thread to include that info. Anybody with more knowledge on the subject than me care to provide some info for everybody? How does a fan make sure their donation goes to the basketball program for example?
I think the easiest way to start is to make a gift to the URI Foundation here: URI Foundation Donation Page

There are options to direct your gift in a number of ways. The URI RAMS Fund is a general athletics fund that the athletic department directs to its greatest areas of need. You can also direct your donation specifically to the basketball program (Fast Break). They also give you options to make your gift in installments or to make it a recurring gift.

If you don't like doing this kind of thing online, or if you have questions you want answered, or want to structure some sort of tailored gift arrangement to benefit the basketball program, you shouldn't hesitate to reach out directly to the URI Foundation: athletics@foundation.uri.edu / 401.874.7900
Good stuff, thank you.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:There is a commemorative brick plaza outside the Ryan Center, but it doesn't appear to be an ongoing campaign.
Maybe we could sell commemorative bricks for all the critical missed 3's?

I'm sorry, that was mean. :roll:
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Speaking of the ridiculously lopsided marketing for PC ...

I live in North Kingstown and for months there was a billboard on Boston Neck Road for Friartown.

I say we do a little Guerilla Marketing up north!
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

PeteRI wrote:Speaking of the ridiculously lopsided marketing for PC ...

I live in North Kingstown and for months there was a billboard on Boston Neck Road for Friartown.

I say we do a little Guerilla Marketing up north!
......my guess is that the marketing function would respond with they can do all that and more(airport mural etc)......provided they have the money to do these things......this takes us back to getting more revenue from fans, donors, increased ticket sales etc.....I recall back when Dan was hired/press conference etc there was a grass roots effort to donate $19.99 or some other small amount......show them the money....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm still scratching my head that VCU has only made 1 Sweet Sixteen and that was the year they went to the Final Four.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Why? Up until about 10 years ago VCU had zero basketball reputation....first guy that comes to mind is Eric Maynor. They are nouveau riche, and almost all of what you see today is as a result of that 1 magical season and an institutional commitment to double down on the success.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It's amazing that after our Elite 8 run, the construction of a brand new 8,000 seat arena, all the donations that came in after that season ,it took this long to get back to where we were. I think the history of that will make people want to see continued success before this thing takes off.
3 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Well, the hiring and subsequent ineptitude of Jerry D,
sure as hell put a quick end to anything gained by
Skinner and Harrick.
Compounding this was the hiring of CFL, who
was dull, and a safe hire, with no big ambitions.
3 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I just think it's kinda off on Koch to say now we need to step up. The URI community stepped up huge in 98. Millions of dollars poured in. Only to witness years of mediocrity. This Alumni base has showed it will step up. Might take more than a one win tournament appearance though.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Well it's a chicken/egg situation, blueram. If the fan base doesn't step up then who knows how many more tournament wins will come in the near term.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Koch also has bitched about our attendance in the past.
I think he's writing things he's heard Hurley talking about.
Win and win consistently, and everything takes care of itself.
One month of winning and creating excitement, proves
there are fans to be won.
Just keep it going and give them a reason to show up.
4 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I get that TP. And I think the tournament credits should go to cover the Foundation cover and an increase for Dan. Sure, we should all give always. But I don't see any program changing events happening that hasn't already happened. Yes this team should fly charter next year. Dan and staff should get raises. But those credits are covering promises already made.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

theblueram wrote:I just think it's kinda off on Koch to say now we need to step up. The URI community stepped up huge in 98. Millions of dollars poured in. Only to witness years of mediocrity. This Alumni base has showed it will step up. Might take more than a one win tournament appearance though.
I think one answer to question as to how the URI community stepped up in 1998 is to compare the number of donors and the dollar amount they donated to URI Athletics then and how that compares to 2016-17, a period of 19 years. I would believe that the amount should have doubled in that period. Does anyone have some info on where this stands and how it compares to peer schools.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:
theblueram wrote:I just think it's kinda off on Koch to say now we need to step up. The URI community stepped up huge in 98. Millions of dollars poured in. Only to witness years of mediocrity. This Alumni base has showed it will step up. Might take more than a one win tournament appearance though.
I think one answer to question as to how the URI community stepped up in 1998 is to compare the number of donors and the dollar amount they donated to URI Athletics then and how that compares to 2016-17, a period of 19 years. I would believe that the amount should have doubled in that period. Does anyone have some info on where this stands and how it compares to peer schools.

We could still be playing in Keaney Gym without 1998. Gyms like LaSalle and Fordham. That's how donors stepped up.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

If donors are only required to step up once every two decades don't be surprised when you only go to the tournament once every two decades. College athletics is an arms race. You can either compete in it or fall behind.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Blue Man wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Schools like Wichita St. and Illinois St. would be nice.

While that's a good point to think about, I always though the reason we were a tough schedule is because we were so inconsistent. We have always been "dangerous" even during the Baron years. Capable of beating anyone at anytime...but weaponized inconsistency. The risk of losing to us wasn't the problem, it was the risk that we would melt down late in the year and have the potential to be a bad loss had we beaten a good team. Hopefully this run will end that stigma.

Also, the fact that Syracuse and the P5 teams that didn't make it into the dance this year were hammered for their weak OOC schedules and lack of quality road/neutral site wins gives me hope that some schools will be looking for a higher RPI opponent or two to keep their OOC SOS out of the 150+ range.
Syracuse and other similar cartel members aren't going to change their ways just because of one year where they don't get a bid. They know the deck is stacked in their favor and against us riff-raff. And you KNOW the NCAA isn't going to do anything to balance that equation like requiring everyone to play real OOC road games. "Neutral-site" games are a joke; that sure as hell wasn't a neutral site on Sunday.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:If donors are only required to step up once every two decades don't be surprised when you only go to the tournament once every two decades. College athletics is an arms race. You can either compete in it or fall behind.
.....to avoid the catching lightning in a bottle once every one/two decades appearing in the Big Dance; we have to avoid the reactive approach to donors stepping up after lightning and step up proactively.....to keep lightning......
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think it's important [duh] that Dan stays at least a couple more years to keep the hammer down on the administration as to improvements to the program.

If he were to leave now we could lose a little momentum and that would hurt.....on and off the court.

This job isn't finished and won't be for a while. Hiring another good coach is paramount down the road.....but we don't want to be in that position just yet.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

rambone 78 wrote:I think it's important [duh] that Dan stays at least a couple more years to keep the hammer down on the administration as to improvements to the program.

If he were to leave now we could lose a little momentum and that would hurt.....on and off the court.

This job isn't finished and won't be for a while. Hiring another good coach is paramount down the road.....but we don't want to be in that position just yet.
Just a month ago you were begging him to leave.
4 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

You guys are going to kill me for this but I find it really hard to donate to the school until I have paid off my extensive student loans...
9 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

You will be paying those for twenty years prob because of the low interest rate. If you enjoyed this run then I believe we should buck up if it is economically feasible for u
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

As far as commitment goes, tomorrow night could go a long way.

Everyone should show up at the Ryan Center for the trophy and the team. Hass and KI deserve one last Ryan Center ovation, and the team deserves to see what can happen to our fanbase when runs like this happen.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Wish I could go
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Roz wrote:You will be paying those for twenty years prob because of the low interest rate. If you enjoyed this run then I believe we should buck up if it is economically feasible for u
Low interest rate? Its over 7% and you cant refinance! My mortgage is 4...
1 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote:As far as commitment goes, tomorrow night could go a long way.

Everyone should show up at the Ryan Center for the trophy and the team. Hass and KI deserve one last Ryan Center ovation, and the team deserves to see what can happen to our fanbase when runs like this happen.
I'm hoping I can change my work schedule for this one.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This ^^ It's a huge opportunity to put action against the words. Show up Rhody Nation! If nothing else than to show Hassan and KI some more love.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Roz wrote:You will be paying those for twenty years prob because of the low interest rate. If you enjoyed this run then I believe we should buck up if it is economically feasible for u
Unsub student loans are over 6 percent these days. I have season tickets but tbh it would be fiscally irresponsible to donate more while still paying that off
2 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

skwalk47 wrote:
Low interest rate? Its over 7% and you cant refinance! My mortgage is 4...
Wow years ago I consolidated and have under a 3%. I am still paying from 1998
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

TruePoint wrote:Even if we do get on their schedules, the real name brand P5 schools don't play true road games in OOC. We should be able to get creative and get teams in here that people will know whether they are technically P5 or not.
If we need to play the Duke's, Michigans, Syracuses, on the road, so be it.

If we can get home and homes with others such as St. Mary's, Gonzaga, Wichita State, it would be exceptional. We have had a home & home with Arizona in the past, as well as Pittsburgh (when they were good). Rare, but possible.

But at this point, I think we need to develop the "Anyone, anytime, anywhere" attitude and go out and beat them.

Why not a team like Seton Hall? Don't give me the "Big East doesn't want to play us" - we've had home and homes with them in the past.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I agree Stevie. I doubt you will see Gonzaga at the Ryan anytime soon for a variety of reasons, but the other things you said here I agree with. I'm fine with more aggressive scheduling and fine with going on the road in order to schedule games that will give us both national exposure and the potential for important wins.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

skwalk47 wrote:You guys are going to kill me for this but I find it really hard to donate to the school until I have paid off my extensive student loans...
$20/month then? It adds up very quickly when a thousand fans do it.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:

This ^^ It's a huge opportunity to put action against the words. Show up Rhody Nation! If nothing else than to show Hassan and KI some more love.
I'd love to see a huge crowd, but this is
1) Short Notice
2) Weeknight
3) 6pm

Compare to a weekday night game where you have Advance Notice and a 7pm start.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:I agree Stevie. I doubt you will see Gonzaga at the Ryan anytime soon for a variety of reasons, but the other things you said here I agree with. I'm fine with more aggressive scheduling and fine with going on the road in order to schedule games that will give us both national exposure and the potential for important wins.
Gonzaga did a home and home with St. Joe's a few years ago, so why not with Rhody?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

TruePoint wrote:I agree Stevie. I doubt you will see Gonzaga at the Ryan anytime soon for a variety of reasons, but the other things you said here I agree with. I'm fine with more aggressive scheduling and fine with going on the road in order to schedule games that will give us both national exposure and the potential for important wins.
Not that I don't agree with you guys, but didn't Hurley, after his first season here make a comment about our OOC sched and that he wanted to lighten it up? I could be mistaken, but I remember that being one of the things that he wanted to work on for the subsequent seasons.

If true, that may have simply been a bystander of his process and that he was restarting the program and wanted to get the guys some confidence through wins, I don't know? And if that's the case than I'd assume he wouldn't be of that philosophy anymore, with a more mature group and program, under his leadership.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Right. OOC scheduling adapts every year based on the team's prospects.

First few seasons he wanted to get the feeling of winning back, even against lower opponents. Then last few seasons they were strategically scheduling to build RPI-boosting games and resume.
1 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

Figured that was the case, thanks ATP.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I don't know if it's possible nowadays, but I always admired John Chaney's willingness to play anyone anywhere.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

scine20 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:I think it's important [duh] that Dan stays at least a couple more years to keep the hammer down on the administration as to improvements to the program.

I don't know if I was begging him to leave, but things were definitely leaning that way. And I wasn't alone in that regard.

Things changed...I think Dan, while not a finished coaching product, has improved quite a bit in his handling of game strategy.

There are some things left to work on....but what happened the last 2 minutes against Oregon weren't his fault......
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will be surprised if we get over 7k fans on opening night. It's usually a garbage opponent
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:
scine20 wrote:

I don't know if I was begging him to leave, but things were definitely leaning that way. And I wasn't alone in that regard.

Things changed...I think Dan, while not a finished coaching product, has improved quite a bit in his handling of game strategy.

There are some things left to work on....but what happened the last 2 minutes against Oregon weren't his fault......
Bone, don't be so modest. You saw this all coming!
rambone 78 wrote:Good show...had a good talk with DH afterward...then with ATP... all is good....things will be on the uptick in the future......
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steviep123 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Even if we do get on their schedules, the real name brand P5 schools don't play true road games in OOC. We should be able to get creative and get teams in here that people will know whether they are technically P5 or not.

If we can get home and homes with others such as St. Mary's, Gonzaga, Wichita State, it would be exceptional. We have had a home & home with Arizona in the past, as well as Pittsburgh (when they were good). Rare, but possible.

But at this point, I think we need to develop the "Anyone, anytime, anywhere" attitude and go out and beat them.

Why not a team like Seton Hall? Don't give me the "Big East doesn't want to play us" - we've had home and homes with them in the past.
When did we have a home and home with Arizona?
We might play Seton Hall in the NIT tip off next year.. as well as Vandy and UVA.

With the NIT tip off and the PC game we have three marquee games against tournament teams right there.
I'd say we'd need to at least get a couple more for good measure. 5 games against tournament teams would be greaaat. Win 3 of them and your resume is solid.
Hey why don't we play at Kentucky next year? :)
PC did.
Rematch of the 1945 NIT championship! Lets avenge Keaney's gang!
Last edited by PeterRamTime 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Completely agree, PRT. PC plus the matchups in the NIT tip-off is a great start to our OOC schedule.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Not too many P5 teams are going to play a dangerous mid on the mid's home court.
What's the different and or consequence of playing a P5 vs non P5 if both teams are good? There's none. RPI and SOS would still be the same.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
What's the different and or consequence of playing a P5 vs non P5 if both teams are good? There's none. RPI and SOS would still be the same.
If you were a P5 team looking to schedule somebody right now, would you have confidence that URI will be a high RPI team next year? Sure, we had a great run, but that doesn't guarantee anything for next year. That's how a P5 school might look at it.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote:
steviep123 wrote:

We might play Seton Hall in the NIT tip off next year.. as well as Vandy and UVA.

With the NIT tip off and the PC game we have three marquee games against tournament teams right there.
I'd say we'd need to at least get a couple more for good measure. 5 games against tournament teams would be greaaat. Win 3 of them and your resume is solid.
PC did.
We had a home and home with Arizona back in the 90s. Skinner was coach. I don't remember the years, but we went out there one year and the next we played them at the Dunk.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:
steviep123 wrote:

PC did.
We had a home and home with Arizona back in the 90s. Skinner was coach. I don't remember the years, but we went out there one year and the next we played them at the Dunk.
January 2, 1993 we lost 87-79 @ Arizona: 19-11 (8-6 in A10), beat Purdue in NCAA, then lost to UNC 112-67 in Winston Salem
January 7, 1995 we lost 82-67 @ providence civic center: 7-20 (2-14 in A10) Arizona was the 3rd loss in what would be a 13 game losing streak that season
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x