From a Friar Fan

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

From a Friar Fan

Unread post by PCFriars »

I hate URI basketball. With a venomous passion. And I think that’s the best compliment I can pay to your basketball program.

I am a poster from the PC board that generally doesn’t have many nice things to say about Rhody. I’ll freely admit that I was rooting for you to lose and I was happy when you finally did.

That being said, the fact that I even cared, shows the steps forward that your program has made. As a Friar fan, I can tell you that I always looked at you in the same way that UConn looked at us. When we would beat them, they would say “ha that’s cute.” And we hate them for that.

Anyways, I digress. What I signed up here for was simply to say that I admit to actually enjoying watching your team play basketball in this last month. Offensively, I think your game against Davidson in the A-10 tourney was as close to perfect as you can play. It was great to see Matthews regain his form as I think he is undoubtedly the most talented guard in the A-10. When he wants to, he can literally just take over games like really only the elite guards in the country can do. I think you have assembled a really nice group of kids who was a joy to watch. I’m also glad to see that your coach seems to be learning on the job and maturing. I remember the first time I saw him at the Dunk 5 years ago or whatever it was, he acted like a petulant child. It’s going to take some time for him to outgrow that reputation, but he seems to be a different guy now than he was back then.

I’m not one of these people who think it’s good for the state to have multiple programs good at the same time (maybe because I'm not a native Rhode Islander). The people who think that are the people who don’t think our two programs are on the same level. Maybe we’re not just based on conference affiliation alone, but it’s clear your program is on the rise.

As a Red Sox fan, you’re not going to see me root for the Yankees and as a Friar fan, the Rams. It’s a rivalry. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. I think it’s a healthy hatred. i didn't have that hatred pre-Hurley. He's given your program an identity, and one that you should be very proud of.

You deserve this run that you’ve had this year. I lurk on this board from time to time and can sense the passion that you have. Enjoy it. Congrats.

See you at the Ryan Center in December.
9 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: From a Friar Fan

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thx for taking the time to share your fairly unique perspective.

That said, the Rams better win in December when the Friars come to visit. Not sure I can handle another consecutive loss.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Thanks for the perspective dude!

Maybe both teams will be ranked by December...
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

A fair and honest post by the Friar Fan.
Only thing I find odd is, CFL beat PC many times,
and was undefeated at the Ryan Center until
his last year.
Why no "hatred" then, and only now?
Maybe making the NCAA changed the perspective?
3 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Classy post
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Well said, honest yet respectful, Thanks Friar fan. The healthy hatred is good for basketball in this state, and it's great to see both teams battling it out and competing on a national level. That said, I hope we demolish you guys next December, but as usual, it'll be a blood bath, can't wait.
1 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Very fair post Friar fan. Can I ask if you are a PC graduate?
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I'll jump in here as well.

Sorry for the late response -- my fiance was in the ER Thursday night (nothing serious). I had all the Thursday games on the DVR, so I've been spending all weekend trying to catch up and still haven't but living in RI it's kinda tough to avoid without going completely off the grid (tried and failed).

As a Friar fan born in 1989, I haven't had very much to celebrate until the last few years. From basically the time I was 7 years old until the time I was 26, I never saw a tournament win. My friends in school they didn't understand why I would care for such a team. They thought it was hysterical, barely ever in the tournament, getting crushed time after time in big games, they'd start to come along when PC played well, only to say, "Look at your Friars," when they choked, which was often.

So when PC landed Cooley and subsequently brought meaningful, valuable basketball to the DDC for just about the first time in my life, I can't even explain the way it made me feel. So watching people I knew growing up on Facebook who were true URI fans, I could totally relate to the way they felt during the bad, and now the good. I'm so happy for them they finally got to taste that success as well.

Basketball is not the world. The ball is tipped and 2 hours later the game ends. But for us, basketball is a passion. The ball is tipped, but 6 hours before (or sometimes longer -- maybe days depending on the game), there is an anxiousness that not many can understand. And after the game, there is a euphoria or anger that no one can understand. If you have those feelings (which I'm assuming most here do), I'm happy for you, congratulations! I now look forward to an offseason of discussion about how PC and the Big East is better, but I can give you your due as well :lol: :lol: :lol:
7 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice job Friar fans
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Rod, it's a good question. I think it's because we were in a different place with our program at the time. We were in a conference where we were trying to compete with giants (usually poorly), and our energy was focused on disliking those teams. In this current iteration of the Big East, there really aren't bitter rivals, at least at this point. Not to mention that our conferences are a lot closer to comparable at this point. I'm just guessing here... not sure I have a perfect answer.

Blueman, I am not an alum. I grew up in southeastern Mass and went to my first PC game when I was 8 (I'm 31 now). My dad and I have had season tickets together for the last 18 years. That's why I have the passion for it that I do, because watching games with him is something that I truly cherish and enjoy.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

PCFriars wrote:Rod, it's a good question. I think it's because we were in a different place with our program at the time. We were in a conference where we were trying to compete with giants (usually poorly), and our energy was focused on disliking those teams. In this current iteration of the Big East, there really aren't bitter rivals, at least at this point. Not to mention that our conferences are a lot closer to comparable at this point. I'm just guessing here... not sure I have a perfect answer.

Blueman, I am not an alum. I grew up in southeastern Mass and went to my first PC game when I was 8 (I'm 31 now). My dad and I have had season tickets together for the last 18 years. That's why I have the passion for it that I do, because watching games with him is something that I truly cherish and enjoy.
That actually goes completely against my preconceived notions. Usually the lot of the great unwashed that didn't go to PC come on here with cave man clubs and we get to watch them fight a losing battle against both syntax and the english language. As well as common sense.

You prove to be an exception to that rule leaving an extremely rational and well thought out post. It helps that it seems you got a college education, also at odds with a fair chunk of your fanbase :-)

Welcome aboard though. Love that the rivalry is back on It's Always Sunny style, would happily talk basketball with you any day.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL