March 20th 2012

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

March 20th 2012

Unread post by Blue Man »

I feel like we would be remiss if we didn't recognize today. Dan Hurley was officially hired 5 years ago.

Now that his 5th year has finally concluded, we can actually offer a fair assessment on who he is as a coach, and what he's accomplished here. I think it's fair to say he was the best hire we could've ever asked for.

When you think of where this program is now, versus where it was, think of the following:
Ryan Center - pubs, LED boards, reduction of obstructed views, upgrades
Workout facilities - the joke they were versus the top of the conference, first rate they are now
Basketball offices.
Locker room renovations.
Drawing interest from/being managed by Nelligan/Learfield.
Corporate sponsors.
Donor increases.
National publicity.
Preseason rankings.
Ranked wins - all zero that we had for 18 years.
Playing tough schedules
Being invited to big OOC tournaments.
Off the court issues.
Think of the recruits Dan was left with and how we look for next year...
oh yeah...
and those 2 banners we're going to be raising in November.

For everyone comparing us to PC at every turn, Dan Hurley has been further in the tournament than Ed Cooley, and has the same number of NCAA wins.

With how big the bandwagon got this weekend, Dan Hurley did the heavy lifting of bringing our fan base back from the dead.

He has grown as a coach, and the last month and a half was the best on court coaching we've seen here in almost 2 decades.

It's amazing to not just love this program, but to have pride in it once again. What a run this year. Can't wait to see what we do in the offseason and next year. Thank you Dan, I hope you love it here as much as we love you leading this program.
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
18 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: March 20th 2012

Unread post by section(105) »

......raising a glass or two, three at the next coach's show for this exact thoughts.....
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Blue Man wrote: For everyone comparing us to PC at every turn, Dan Hurley has been further in the tournament than Ed Cooley, and has the same number of NCAA wins.
Small correction. Cooley's team last year as a #9 seed beat USC in their first game 70-69 and lost their next game to #1 seed UNC 85-66 missing the opportunity to advance to the Sweet-16. Both coaches have therefore got to the same point in the tournament.

Ed Cooley
4 NCAA Appearances
Record 1-4

Dan Hurley
1 NCAA Appearance
Record 1-1
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RF1 wrote:
Blue Man wrote: For everyone comparing us to PC at every turn, Dan Hurley has been further in the tournament than Ed Cooley, and has the same number of NCAA wins.
Small correction. Cooley's team last year as a #9 seed beat USC in their first game 70-69 and lost their next game to #1 seed UNC 85-66 missing the opportunity to advance to the Sweet-16. Both coaches have therefore got to the same point in the tournament.

Ed Cooley
4 NCAA Appearances
Record 1-4

Dan Hurley
1 NCAA Appearance
Record 1-1
My bad - I thought last year was a first four win as well. Either way. They're on equal footing as far as tournament success goes.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Great post
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Blue Man wrote:
RF1 wrote:

Ed Cooley
4 NCAA Appearances
Record 1-4

Dan Hurley
1 NCAA Appearance
Record 1-1
My bad - I thought last year was a first four win as well. Either way. They're on equal footing as far as tournament success goes.
Except Dan got his win without needing a lottery pick on the roster ;)

(kidding)
(kind of)
3 x
ramswin
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ramswin »

USC had 5 turnovers in the final 5 possessions of that game. They also left a man wide open under the basket while PC was inbounding the ball with seconds remaining. That was a very unimpressive win for the Friars. USC handed them that game on a silver platter. Total choke job. PC showed next to nothing in the 2nd round game against UNC.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Let's try to keep this thread from degenerating into more PC chatter. Focus on Hurley's 5 years.
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Happy anniversary coach

I was thrilled when we hired him after CFL

We were on point after year 3 with the NIT

I was a bit down the last couple of years but after the recent run we had he exceeded expectations and I hope he stays for a long time
1 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

I'm sure I could dig it up, but can one of you guys summarize for me quickly what Dan's package currently looks like?

Assuming he's going to see a nice bump with this year's success, but I don't know specifics on apparel revenue (%), ticket sales (%), any tournament (A10 / NCAA) bonuses?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

"summarize for me quickly what Dan's package currently looks like? "
Wow! That's getting pretty personal! LOL!
6 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

rodfromcranston wrote:"summarize for me quickly what Dan's package currently looks like? "
Ha, fair.

How about, will Dan get a decent boost from our recent success?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rodfromcranston wrote:"summarize for me quickly what Dan's package currently looks like? "
"this real big, veiny, triumphant bastard," Superbad
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Keatgsr07 wrote:I'm sure I could dig it up, but can one of you guys summarize for me quickly what Dan's package currently looks like?

Assuming he's going to see a nice bump with this year's success, but I don't know specifics on apparel revenue (%), ticket sales (%), any tournament (A10 / NCAA) bonuses?

I actually saved the Projo articles and url's relating to the 2015 and 2016 extensions figuring we would want them later:

Contract currently runs through 2021-22 season
Guaranteed Portion of Hurley Contract:
Base Salary: $300,000
Gate Receipts Bonus: $590,000 in 2016-17 / $640,000 from the 2017-18 to 2021-22 seasons

Non Guaranteed:
Buy Game: up to $65,000
Radio/TV Appearances: $25,000
Performance Bonuses:
$5,000/NIT Game
$20,000/NCAA Game (25k per game beyond round of 32)

Buyout if he left URI for another job: 2016-17 one-time payment of $1 million / one-time payment of $1.2 million between the 2017-18 and 2019-20 seasons

Other-Program commitments
Funding four charter flights per season, providing a salary pool of $400,000 for assistant coaches and basketball staff and arranging for on-site meals after practices and games at the Ryan Center. $25,000 bonus pool to allocate to his assistant coaches and basketball staff as he sees fit.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... -extension

http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... /150409924
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It would seem from the contract details above that Dan will minimally receive at least $955,000 for this past season.

Base: $300,000.00
Gate: $590,000.00
Radio/TV: $25,000.00
NCAA (2) $40,000.00
TOTAL: $955,000.00
0 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

I knew someone had that knowledge on hand, nice work RF1
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That 640K guarantee per year for gate receipts is mind boggling.

That's got to be at least a third of all gate receipts for the season........
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:That 640K guarantee per year for gate receipts is mind boggling.

It is probably actually between 1/3 and 1/2 of all gate receipts.

URI has played anywhere from 15 to 17 regular season home games the past three seasons averaging over 5,000/game. Assuming an average of 1,000 students/game that do not pay, and you would have an approximate average of 4,000 paying customers per game. A sixteen home game average would then translate into 64,000 paid tickets which would require $10.00 per every ticket sold going to Hurley to cover the $640,000 gate receipt guarantee. The average ticket price is probably somewhere in the $20 dollar range/game.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rambone 78 wrote:That 640K guarantee per year for gate receipts is mind boggling.

I am sure the thought was that last year would be this year, and that this run would've sparked attendance to off set that. I'm sure next year's attendance will be even greater. That's the cost of doing business in D1 basketball though. You have to get near that 1m mark. You want a coach like Hurley, you pay him. Now that said coach is bringing in big NCAA money and everything that's coming with it? Money well spent and well earned.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I don't think URI can offer much more than that out of ticket revenue, if they decide to bump Dan's overall pay again.

Even with say an increase to 6000 [5000 paying] customers a game next season......

My guess is, URI will make good on some program enhancements that they've held off on, since we've made the NCAAT. And increase the assistants' pool some more.

I mean, right now Dan's guaranteed pay is 4.7 million over the next 5 years.....that's crazy for a school like URI.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:I don't think URI can offer much more than that out of ticket revenue, if they decide to bump Dan's overall pay again.

Even with say an increase to 6000 [5000 paying] customers a game next season......

My guess is, URI will make good on some program enhancements that they've held off on, since we've made the NCAAT. And increase the assistants' pool some more.

I mean, right now Dan's guaranteed pay is 4.7 million over the next 5 years.....that's crazy for a school like URI.
URI will however now have some additional $300-400K/season the next six years from the NCAA units earned this past weekend.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RF1 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:I don't think URI can offer much more than that out of ticket revenue, if they decide to bump Dan's overall pay again.

URI will however now have some additional $300-400K/season the next six years from the NCAA units earned this past weekend.

thought i saw somewhere this years tourney is good for $246k net per credit to the school
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

But it's NOT crazy. We have to stop thinking like that if we enjoy seasons like the one that ended last night.

The sooner the fan base comes to peace with this new reality, the sooner our favorite basketball team will be able to be a perennial contender for the A10 tournament and NCAA bid, ya know, like VCU/Dayton.

Compare, if you would, price for season tix at VCU which require minimum giving to the program on-top of ticket face value. Then remember that they are going on 3+ years with their season sold-out.

If you have season tickets for Rhody, compare where you sit to where you might be at VCU and look at the seat license fees. We can't just turn on seat licenses like that, but there has to be some middle ground if we're to sustain this level of performance and go further.

First obvious step is to increase season tix, mini plans, general paid attendance to the point where demand is increased. It's ON US, the Rhody Fans.

Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:thought i saw somewhere this years tourney is good for $246k net per credit to the school
Nobody has an exact number, but the A10 takes money off the top then takes another quarter of the money to distribute to the other schools who didn't earn the credit. It's generally estimated that in the A10 a NCAA credit is worth around $200k/yr for six years for the earning school.

This year's Rams earned two crucial credits for this growing program, so we can double that value to $400k/yr.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

ATPTourFan wrote:But it's NOT crazy. We have to stop thinking like that if we enjoy seasons like the one that ended last night.

The sooner the fan base comes to peace with this new reality, the sooner our favorite basketball team will be able to be a perennial contender for the A10 tournament and NCAA bid, ya know, like VCU/Dayton.

Compare, if you would, price for season tix at VCU which require minimum giving to the program on-top of ticket face value. Then remember that they are going on 3+ years with their season sold-out.

If you have season tickets for Rhody, compare where you sit to where you might be at VCU and look at the seat license fees. We can't just turn on seat licenses like that, but there has to be some middle ground if we're to sustain this level of performance and go further.

First obvious step is to increase season tix, mini plans, general paid attendance to the point where demand is increased. It's ON US, the Rhody Fans.

With those numbers theres no way I could (or would) have season tickets at this point in my life (and I am gainfully employed).
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:thought i saw somewhere this years tourney is good for $246k net per credit to the school
Nobody has an exact number, but the A10 takes money off the top then takes another quarter of the money to distribute to the other schools who didn't earn the credit. It's generally estimated that in the A10 a NCAA credit is worth around $200k/yr for six years for the earning school.

This year's Rams earned two crucial credits for this growing program, so we can double that value to $400k/yr.
Worth noting:

Another thing to consider is that URI's dollar portion of prior A-10 NCAA units that it did not earn will be decreasing in the next few years. The number of units the conference is earning has been going down and the benefit that URI is getting from the units earned by the schools which left (Xavier/Temple/Butler) the league in 2013 will be running out soon.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......the VCU chart is interesting on many levels.....the realization that consideration of additional funding from fannies in the seats for the basketball program in general is probably sooner than later....I can see baby steps coming and would not shocked to see any of the following; slight increase in per game ticket, mini packs, and season plans.....currently the season plan does not require any donation to the URI Foundation/Athletics, but I would not be shocked to see that introduced at some point.....now for any seat licenses on top of that donation that would a tough pill to shallow....these departures from current MO do feel crazy for a school like URI, but this new reality is probably where we will have to become necessary to sustain high level success.....I don't think we can expect the current business as usual to be the new norm.....wonder where other A-10 programs are in those two areas of income; a) seat license b) required donation to purchase tickets......hopefully before these increases are implemented the RC is filled/sold out at current prices for coming seasons.....demonstrate demand exceeding supply....don't see any significant increase from the state government nor student fees.....sorry this got off the initial topic...
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

All of this just makes me realize what a downright BARGAIN my tickets have been for the last couple years and not only will I renew this year, but...if they offered same seats, same price for the year after...would probably pay that now. The quality of basketball, the arena (plus, admittedly my residence location) make this a serious deal. Our daughter graduated last year and went to a few games this year, but last night, recognizing what a great deal it is, she bought a pair of young alum season tix. Get your season tix NOW and GO RHODY!
3 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

big time basketball is pay to play, and even DUQ has realized they need to have a salary of a million or so dollars to try to be competitive in the A10. I think PK has some very reasonable things we should do as a school, working with dan, if we are serious. With that said, it will take the alumni giving to make sure it can happen

Just to make sure it is clear. Student tickets are not "free." Every student at URI pays for athletic tickets as part of their student activities fee, if they choose to use them or not. They also are the guarantee on the Ryan Center bond.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The tickets prices at the RC are a bargain imo.....but that could change soon.

We will need to dance next year at least to see any major changes though.....I doubt people will pony up a huge increase yet....

I've done my part donations wise...I hope that MANY others will do the same.....and I will be going to more games next season if I can get some changes to my work schedule approved. Maybe at least a mini plan.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

We just need to increase our donor base. Sure some more huge donors are welcome but many thousands of smaller donors who make automatic contributions monthly or quarterly in a comfortable denomination is what adds up so fast. And over time those lower level donors find ways to donate more. You just have to start somewhere.

It must happen.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ATP, our fan base is small as we've seen, but a lot of people came out of the closet so to speak the last couple of weeks......

Quite a few of them probably don't donate much if anything....like you said, that has to change.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Everyone needs to step up as much as possible. The ones that came out of the closet need to go to games. The ones going to games need to go to more/get season tickets. The ones with season tickets need to donate and so on. If everyone does a little more it will add up fast and will position us to stay at the top of the conference
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......we can and have dug deep into our Rhody support hearts, the new reality is that the collective we is gonna have to dig deeper into our Rhody support pockets.....some of our fan base and those getting on board recently with the wave this current success probably are content and unfortunately view this success as a temporary flash in the pan that will sustain themselves as fans but perhaps would not pony up much more pocket help to sustain the program long term success......this I fear will be the undoing of the substance needed to be that Zaga of the east and to keep awake the formerly sleeping giant....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

105, it's always going to be tough......I've said I don't think we could ever reach a Gonzaga level here, and I'll stand by that even though some here will get on my case for saying it.

We are a public school that gets squat from our state...50th out of 50 in state support, and like I've said elsewhere, our fan base just isn't big enough and we don't have enough big time boosters...not enough Tom Ryan size anyway.

I've seen the donor lists in the annual report......and compared to UConn, we are small potatoes. And UConn gets 30% of their budget from their state.

Sorry to be negative on this one....but them's the facts jack.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah, comparing to UConn is really constructive. :roll: Rather than doing that and feeling defeatist and saying it can't or won't happen, look at the next incremental step.

Everyone says Gonzaga of the East, but you BUILD towards that. Gonzaga has a several decade head start since they haven't dropped the ball like our administration did in the late 90s despite getting the Ryan Center built.

The fans who want more sustained winning need to look themselves in the mirror and ask what they can do. We either want to be with VCU/Dayton or we don't.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ATP, we can and should get to VCU/Dayton level....I'm just saying Gonzaga might be a bridge too far, that's all.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rambone 78 wrote:ATP, we can and should get to VCU/Dayton level....I'm just saying Gonzaga might be a bridge too far, that's all.
I disagree. Had Shaka stayed at VCU they would be on their way to being Gonzaga. Building that brand takes time. We are 4-5 years of sustained success and a few 2nd weekend tourney appearances from becoming what VCU was with Shaka. VCU with Shaka was still probably 4-5 years away from becoming Gonzaga. If we continue to commit to Dan and the program (and by that point have broken ground on a basketball-only facility), then we could start an ascent to the Gonzaga level.

As far as I'm concerned we have 3 years (by the time Dan's youngest graduates high school) to get things right to the point where Dan gets comfortable and can focus on coaching and winning. He wants to run this conference and he wants the school to support him with everything he needs to make that happen.

The more we win the more Dan will ask for, and rightfully so. The second that we are winning and competing at a high level consistently into March, and we deny him an ask? That's when we'll have issues.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ATP and BM, if Dan stays then maybe that could happen......that's the key....and the commitment has to work both ways.

Just not sure that Dan will be here long enough to see that thru.....we will see. The fact that he almost left for Rutgers last year makes you wonder if URI can keep up their end of the deal.

How successful we'll be over the next few years will largely be determined by the 2018-19 class of recruits....this fall's commits will be huge.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Yeah, comparing to UConn is really constructive. :roll: Rather than doing that and feeling defeatist and saying it can't or won't happen, look at the next incremental step.

Everyone says Gonzaga of the East, but you BUILD towards that. Gonzaga has a several decade head start since they haven't dropped the ball like our administration did in the late 90s despite getting the Ryan Center built.

The fans who want more sustained winning need to look themselves in the mirror and ask what they can do. We either want to be with VCU/Dayton or we don't.
Agreed, there is absolutely no reason that with the right commitment URI can't compete for an A10 title every year. Before VCU was in the league and before Dayton became a perennial title contender, I used to say there was no reason URI couldn't be like Temple (at the time) or Xavier. This still holds true. I know Rod has voiced similar aspirations in the past as well. Gonzaga or Wichita St of the east is not too lofty of a goal, though it would take time and commitment. Remember, Gonzaga's first Elite 8 run was in 1999 - the last year URI was in the tourney. Dan Monson was head coach and was hired away by Minnesota. Mark Few took over and has been there ever since without missing a beat. Xavier keeps losing coach after coach, but the program remains strong. Wichita State is able to hold onto Marshall. VCU is still strong with several coaching changes. The idea is to have the strong program/commitment in place, hopefully keep your coach, but if you do lose him, then replace him with a good hire that will keep the program moving. Something we didn't do in 1999 but I have faith Thorr will do if he has to if Hurley were to move on.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Great thread. I think Dan's priority is getting Cox a raise to keep him. Calling him the best assistant coach in the country was sending a message to Thor.
I'd also like to thank Thor for his effort in hiring Dan. Skipped the search committee and went out and got the right guy. Nice job.
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rambone 78 wrote:ATP and BM, if Dan stays then maybe that could happen......that's the key....and the commitment has to work both ways.

Just not sure that Dan will be here long enough to see that thru.....we will see. The fact that he almost left for Rutgers last year makes you wonder if URI can keep up their end of the deal.

How successful we'll be over the next few years will largely be determined by the 2018-19 class of recruits....this fall's commits will be huge.
While Dan "considered" it, 3 dumpster fires in 7 years is a lot to ask, no matter the money they're throwing at you. As for money, 2 mil in Jersey is 1 mil in RI. Cost of living there is absurd. Last year was also a lost season and Dan wants to win. It was almost another year of not winning and that weighs on him more than anything.

Winning here was as good for all of us as it was for him. That's all he wants. Of course now it is now our move as fans, and on the athletic department to support the program at this level.

The last 2 weeks of basketball significantly changed our prospects in a lot of ways, but especially on the recruiting trail. Now Dan doesn't have to go out and sell a dream like he did to EC, Hass, and Jared. His second era of recruiting can begin with the story of promises kept, and not "you can help build something special here," but "you can play championship and NCAA tournament basketball here."

It's much easier to get those 4 and 5 star players with the 2nd story rather than the first.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah, it's clear how Dan and his agent works these situations where schools come for him. He always listens so he can see what his market value is. Each time, he takes that offer (official or otherwise), and turns it over to Thorr/Dooley and applies necessary pressure to enhance his situation here at Rhode Island.

There wasn't any way Dan was going to take another rebuild. That first season made him ill and even with Bobby here Dan had tons of difficulty with the heavy dose of losing.

He and his family seem to appreciate the benefits of being rich (As he is now) AND not miserable at the same time.

Thank goodness he and the team achieved their goals this year so things will progress even further. More resources to help keep his key staff and enhance weak areas of the program are just what the doctor ordered. The huge monkey off everyone's back and expected return of the fans should help keep this train rolling.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ATPTourFan wrote:Yeah, it's clear how Dan and his agent works these situations where schools come for him. He always listens so he can see what his market value is. Each time, he takes that offer (official or otherwise), and turns it over to Thorr/Dooley and applies necessary pressure to enhance his situation here at Rhode Island.

There wasn't any way Dan was going to take another rebuild. That first season made him ill and even with Bobby here Dan had tons of difficulty with the heavy dose of losing.

He and his family seem to appreciate the benefits of being rich (As he is now) AND not miserable at the same time.

Thank goodness he and the team achieved their goals this year so things will progress even further. More resources to help keep his key staff and enhance weak areas of the program are just what the doctor ordered. The huge monkey off everyone's back and expected return of the fans should help keep this train rolling.
While I certainly don't begin to assume other people's values as they pertain to wealth, Dan seemed happy to live his life in his father's footsteps and be a pillar of his community at St Benedicts. You don't do anything for 9 years if you're not happy doing it. He saw his purpose to mold young men through basketball and was content living his life on that salary because he believed in what he was doing. People really underestimate his character. Thankfully he's happy molding young men here, and is being compensated significantly better for it. His brother saw NBA money and then horses and was used to that lifestyle. His paycheck may matter just a bit more to him than Dan.

Not to say that money isn't a motivator for anyone, including Dan, but I just don't believe it to be the highest priority of his like it is for a lot of coaches.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Iggy1979 wrote:Great thread. I think Dan's priority is getting Cox a raise to keep him. Calling him the best assistant coach in the country was sending a message to Thor.
I'd also like to thank Thor for his effort in hiring Dan. Skipped the search committee and went out and got the right guy. Nice job.
While I'd love to see us be able to retain Coach Cox I think it will be difficult. The guy is deserving of a D1 coaching gig. I think he has a very bright future ahead of him.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

From what I've heard (and maybe Ace or others know if this is true), Dan and his kids are happy living in RI but if his wife had her druthers they'd be living in NJ. That's what made the Rutgers offer scary. Now, I think his next move will be closer to home nor farther away.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

RoadyJay wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Great thread. I think Dan's priority is getting Cox a raise to keep him. Calling him the best assistant coach in the country was sending a message to Thor.
While I'd love to see us be able to retain Coach Cox I think it will be difficult. The guy is deserving of a D1 coaching gig. I think he has a very bright future ahead of him.
I think it's much more likely that he'd be in line for a better assistant's job, unless he's willing to be a head coach at a lower level D1 program.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Again, P5 schools can lure assistants with big money.
In football, Harbaugh has two assistants making over
one million dollars!
Cox is no kid, so, if he's going to be a head coach, he
needs to act sooner than later.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

If you don't have other schools interested in your assistants then you have a crappy staff. Preston left. Murray left. Money played a role in both.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hopefully the pool for the assistants will rise to about 500K per year, with Cox getting half of that.

They might need to raise him to that level to keep him. If he's offered more to go somewhere else, than it depends how much more I guess.
0 x