PROUD TO BE A RAM FAN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

PROUD TO BE A RAM FAN

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Thank you thank you thank you to Dan Hurley and this entire team for giving us our Rhody Pride back!!!

Hassan and Kuron good luck wherever your journey takes you

RHODY RHODY RHODY
15 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: PROUD TO BE A RAM FAN

Unread post by twisted3829 »

absolutely, not the ending we wanted but they played a hell of a game

Thank you Dan hurley, Hassan Martin, Kuran Iverson, all the rest of the players, all the coaches.

It was one hell of a season and couldn't be more proud of this team
8 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Thank you Hassan and Kuran. Good luck with your future.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That hurts. No way around it. But that team had balls and guts in spades, and it fought its ass off. I couldn't be prouder to be a Ram. That's a title contender that we just boxed into the 15th round. I hate losing. I want to puke right now. But there is no way I can be mad at these guys. Fam for life. This team will be talked about for years and years. Nothing can take away what they did - what they gave us - for the last two months.
9 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I thought we had this....Sweet 16 I thought was our ceiling [after the A10's that is]........came THIS close......

Didn't make the plays at the end and got no bounces or breaks from the refs......

Would rather we lose by a lot than like this......
1 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

All college basketball teams want to be in the ncaa tournament. 67 teams get their wish, but lose their last game of a successful season. I am glad uri finally made it back to being one of those teams, and made the nation take notice.

Great job 2016-2017 rams. We have two new banners to hang in the Ryan center because of you.
Last edited by urirx 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....YES...please no blame the refs in this topic....K
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Love our guys.
LOVE HASS AND KURAN.
Wish I could hug them.

We will be back.
5 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Great season from the Rams, they absolutely saved the best basketball for last! If this game was played in December of January, maybe it would be a 20-30 point loss? Teamwork and dedication to always keep improving were hallmarks ever since that Fordham loss. Couldn't be prouder of the "grit n balls" as KG would say...
1 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Such a tough way to end it, especially for Hass. He deserved better. Unfortunately life is not always fair. Hassan and Kuran are both still warriors and I could not be more proud to Rhody Ram today. Thanks for the run, boys! Here's to the future.
3 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

This late season run was what we've expected and finally happened.
It was great.
I hope it showed the Rhody followers, post 1999, what the passion
for getting to the NCAAs is all about.
The hoopla, the excitement, the national exposure, is unbeatable.
This team and the coaching staff put it together when it counted.
They deserve our thanks and admiration for a job well done.
12 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

100% agree, Rod.

I think this is the start of a sustainable run by this program......
0 x
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Unread post by class of 86 »

I knew it was going to be a dramatic late shot.......j uu st like the Duke game back in 78......just like the steal on Mobley in 99.I hate losing to the big bux......especially basketball/football big bux.But hey we may have lost the pc game but we had a much superior season than they did....(let us count the ways).and that is also a barometer on the season.......plus 2 million bucks.
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

Tough way to end it, it'll take a little bit to recover. So proud of this team, and it's about more than just the end of season run, URI has players that care about each other, the university and our state. Our guys aren't on the news for any scandals such as existed during the Baron tenure, or things that are currently happening at other universities. They're easy to root for, which makes it so tough when they lose.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I can't sleep tonight :(

Thanks for bringing the pride back RHODY rams
4 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

I really need to a find a video game or something to take my mind off this game.

500+ games on PS NOW must be something decent to try but I can't think right now and don't wanna play a tense game like xcom or dark souls.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Thanks Rams.

Very proud and blown away by the past 4-5 weeks of just awesome basketball.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Pc fans are salty and the Projo had uri dominate the front pages. What a season boys, very proud Ram fan and wow did the Rhody fans come out for this run. Across the country our fan base arose from the dead. Huge year for this team and school, Hass and Iverson will be missed but will always be remembered. Go Rhody!
3 x
GO RAMS
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

What a ride this team has taken us on this past month. I have never been more proud to be a fan of this team and cannot wait for next season.

The best part about all of this was watching my 10 year old son become completely immersed and obsessed with the team and individual players. I have always brought him to games but his love of sports really took off the past year or two. He was there with me in 207 when EC went down with the knee injury. I told him if EC can come back healthy than next season could be special.

We went to late night madness this year and got down onto the court after the show. He took pictures with all of the players and got to play some 1 on 1 with Hassan. A die hard Rhody fan was born that night.

A few weeks later we saw them beat Cinncinatti and walked out of Mohegan Son chanting URI and feeling on top of the world.

Living in Boston made it tough to get to a lot of games this year with him, but we made it to a few games after that. That includes the game at the Dunk which he told me that the building "smelled like pee" and then proceeded to chant "PC SMELLS LIKE PEE" from his seat for the next two hours.

We watched the A10 tourney finals at the Muse (he was NOT impressed by the lack of TV'S and sound) and then spent the day today with family and watched them ultimately lose a heartbreaker.

He cried the entire ride home. First time I've seen that from him after a sporting event. It was gut wrenching, but also a part of being a fan of this team. Told him they will be back even stronger next season and that losses like this make you appreciate the wins even more. The rest of us know that all too well.

So besides the obvious gratitude on display for the effort on the court, I thank this team for giving my son and I something to bond over now and in the future. Next season can't come fast enough.
Last edited by Micheal_Phelps_22 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
13 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What a run it has been since the Fordham loss .

It was great to get that excitement back that we had way back in the day

How about Cyril growing up right before our eyes ?? If he works hard the sky is the limit for him

How about Stan scoring 21 after only averaging 6 over the season. He was carrying us

How about Jared hitting those nice shots ? He was our heart and soul out there

Next year should be fun hopefully we dance again if we can get a compliment to Cyril as we definitely have enough guards
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Those are beautiful memories you've created, MP22. I can only imagine how much of a thrill it was for your son to play with Hass. And it reinforces what a fine person he is. Great role model.

Not only is your son a great fan, he has the makings of a great comedian. I wish him and you many laughs and smiles in the years to come.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

MP22, what an awesome post and what a cool thing to experience with your son.

We had some people over tonight and now that everyone's trickled out I'm kind of bumming over here.... however, can't believe how far this team went and I'm super proud of what Dan has done with this program. Also not to be too sentimental but glad there's a place on the ol' internet with other Rhody obsessives like me where I can turn when I'm feeling down after a big loss. Can't wait for next season but until then, got a group of buddies and since URI finally built some decent stands we're gonna try to make going to the baseball games with a few 'Gansetts a thing this spring. Hope I can coax a few of you gentle souls to join at some point. Go Rhody.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes this board is a great place to come to when things are going great and also when we are struggling to vent

We sure have turned the corner and hopefully we can keep this thing going to be a staple at the NCAA Tourney
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Puck Frovidence wrote:MP22, what an awesome post and what a cool thing to experience with your son.

We had some people over tonight and now that everyone's trickled out I'm kind of bumming over here.... however, can't believe how far this team went and I'm super proud of what Dan has done with this program. Also not to be too sentimental but glad there's a place on the ol' internet with other Rhody obsessives like me where I can turn when I'm feeling down after a big loss. Can't wait for next season but until then, got a group of buddies and since URI finally built some decent stands we're gonna try to make going to the baseball games with a few 'Gansetts a thing this spring. Hope I can coax a few of you gentle souls to join at some point. Go Rhody.
Live in WK and am definitely down for baseball and brew-hoffers. PM me any time you're ready to go and I'll try to meet you there. Looking forward to the weather and seeing an All American pitch in person. Go Rhody!
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Puck Frovidence wrote:MP22, what an awesome post and what a cool thing to experience with your son.

Not to rain on your parade, but I was on campus Friday and didn't see much, if any, progress being made on seating. If I get back on campus or hear more I'll keep you posted in one of the baseball threads
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....and a big shout out and thanks to all the behind the scenes folks, athletic department staff, and feel great for Thorr to have his vision get played out, thanks to Steve and Don for their work on the air, look forward to the banner game next year and EZ Buckets last season.....anything I missed?.....Go Rhody......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

MP2, I agree with your son. The Dunkin Donuts Center really does smell like pee.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Ram1019 wrote:MP2, I agree with your son. The Dunkin Donuts Center really does smell like pee.

From the General Assembly.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Dan had lots of people to thank on the plane ride home.

3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Keaney_Blue
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Keaney_Blue »

I will sum up this season with a quote from one of Garth Brooks songs ironically called "The Dance". "Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain but I'd have had to miss the dance". This team has had it's ups and downs winning some big games and losing some heartbreakers along the way. When the Rams were considered all but dead they went on a historical run. Yes, I am hurting today, as I did last night, but it feels good to be here again. The past 2 weeks has erased so many "Just Missed" seasons and filled our hearts with an A-10 Championship and a win in the NCAAs.

I'll sign up for another one next year! Thank you coach Hurley and all the Rhody Rams.
11 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Not to rain on your parade, but I was on campus Friday and didn't see much, if any, progress being made on seating. If I get back on campus or hear more I'll keep you posted in one of the baseball threads
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Micheal_Phelps_22 wrote:That includes the game at the Dunk which he told me that the building "smelled like pee" and then proceeded to chant "PC SMELLS LIKE PEE" from his seat for the next two hours.
Your son is my new favorite Rams fan. Seriously though, great post, very cool to be able to share this run with your son.
4 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

This URI run was just an incredible experience for my 10 year old daughter and I. From the celebration of the A10 championship to the excitement of the NCAA drought being over. She pushed me to go to the airport to cheer the team's return from Pittsburgh and I couldn't say no after she made a poster sign for it. She was so excited to meet the players and get autographs. Then, EC asked if he could keep her sign which had the RI logo and the names of every player. He has no idea how happy he made that little girl!

Then, she asked so many times to go to Sacramento that finally, Wendnesday night I caved in. Flew out Friday morning from Boston to arrive just in time for the game. Spent 3 incredible days there hanging out with her and cheering on our beloved Rams. Wore my Rhody apparel with pride and got many compliments about our team. Got a chance to meet and speak to other Rhody fans at the St. Patrick's Day parade in Old Sacramento.

Because of all this, I am ready to become a season ticket holder again, after a 1 year hiatus for the birth of my son. And now, I have a partner in crime.

We are both "PROUD TO BE RAMS FANS"
13 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm jealous of everyone that got to experience this run with their young children who had never lived through a successful NCAA tournament season for URI. My father brought me up around the program - I was a ball boy, I went to the basketball camps in the summer, we had season tickets in Keaney. All these years later, we have our tickets together at the Ryan and it gives us an excuse to get together on Saturday for a game and dinner, and road games give us an excuse to talk on the phone late on a weeknight.

One of my best memories from my childhood is my dad surprising me by pulling me out of school one day when I was in the third grade to take me to Winston-Salem for URI's NCAA tournament games against Glenn Robinson and Purdue (and unfortunately Eric Montross's UNC Tar Heals). I wish my son was a little older so I could have given him that same experience, but hopefully URI starts making this a pretty regular occurrence and I can take him when he's old enough. I may not have been able to really experience this run with TP Jr. because he's only 20 months old, but I at least got him to add "Go Rhody" to his growing list go-to phrases, so it wasn't a total missed parenting opportunity.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I was also able to enjoy the run from Senior Night through the win over Creighton with my son in kindergarten. We watched all those games together and celebrated great plays by me tossing him into the pillows on the couch.

He understands that this year was a special season so hopefully this memory of watching with his dad and cheering for the Rams will stick with him.
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I am pumped because I finally got to experience this when I can appreciate it. One of my earliest URI memories is watching my parents go nuts as Lamar Odom hit the shot, then the next week our Music teacher for my Kindergarten class rolled a TV in to our class (I went to Narragansett) and we watched the URI-Charlotte game during school.

I have always wished I was older for that to really remember it.. And now I definitely wont forget.
1 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

I was lucky enough to be in Saint Louis in 1998 as an 11 year old boy and it remains one of the greatest experiences of my life. To share it with my parents was even sweeter and solidified our mutual love of Rhody basketball.

I also luckily had the opportunity to be in Sacramento this weekend and it was yet again an experience I'll never forget. Beyond the games themselves, I loved meeting and chatting with Rhody fans/alumni from across the country including a bunch of guys from the board including Iggy, Red, Neil, Frogman, Rhody83 and countless others (sorry if I forgot anyone, I had a lot to celebrate :lol: )

It also was great to see Rhody Jay and a few other families who were able to bring their young kids along on the trip. I met one boy in the hotel lobby after he had just met every player and coach who all stopped to sign his jersey. That magical look in his eye was so damn cool to see.

Long story short; I love this program and all of our fans and was so happy that we all got to collectively experience that magic again after 18 long years. I pray that sustained success is just around the corner and thousands of other fans young & old who were not able to join us in Sacramento will have plenty of other opportunities to experience the NCAA tournament atmosphere and build memories and bonds with Rhody basketball that will last forever.
Last edited by EZBuckets 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
5 x