Game #35: Oregon (NCAA Tournnment Rd of 32) - Sun March 19

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
neil
Art Stephenson

Re: Game #35: Oregon (NCAA Tournnment Rd of 32) - Sun March 19

Unread post by neil »

In Dallas half way home. What an experience! Kudos to the fans in 121 on Friday and 119 on Sunday. I have never been in a more supportive enthusiastic fans in 50 years of attending ram games. As for the game, bone said it best about how physical it was for both teams. A technical point (pun included) we had 2 foul shots because of the tech, so there were only 6 shots from action on the court. Something wrong somewhere. Proud to be a ram fan an will continue to dream for dancing in the future.
4 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Just watched the game again (we still lost ;( . While I agree there were definitely questionable fouls in the second half, I'm still not willing to go so far as to say the refs cost us the game. What I did see the 2nd time however, and it was not once pointed out by the announcers is that Hass was noticeably hobbled. I didn't pick it up last night, but you could see every move he made from the time he came back in the game after his first foul, he was limping. I'd almost go as far as to say he hardly jumped at all for a rebound, but I may have missed a couple. To me Hass' injury (even as well as Cyril played) was by far the bigger reason URI did not win this game.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:Just watched the game again (we still lost ;( . While I agree there were definitely questionable fouls in the second half, I'm still not willing to go so far as to say the refs cost us the game. What I did see the 2nd time however, and it was not once pointed out by the announcers is that Hass was noticeably hobbled. I didn't pick it up last night, but you could see every move he made from the time he came back in the game after his first foul, he was limping. I'd almost go as far as to say he hardly jumped at all for a rebound, but I may have missed a couple. To me Hass' injury (even as well as Cyril played) was by far the bigger reason URI did not win this game.
I went back and watched it today to, because I like to punish myself I guess, and noticed something interesting on the EC block/charge call. I noticed on the replay from the other angle that right as EC went up it looked like an Oregon player ran by and may have blocked the view of the official under the basket that made the call. So he may not have seen very clearly where EC made contact with Brooks and that he wasn't squared up. Now that doesn't mean it makes a good call of course. Would have been nice for another official to step in if they had a better view of it or go with a no call if you don't have a clear view. But anyway, just something I hadn't noticed yesterday.
Last edited by adam914 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I agree totally, 86. That we came as close as we did to winning makes it even tougher to deal with.

Gotta get the breaks all the way around to win these types of games. We never seem to, in the NCAAT anyway.

Adam, Brooks just plain flopped.....the contact between them was minimal. Another ref should have stepped in....if the guy was screened from seeing it clearly then there at least should have been no call.
2 x
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

Just got back with a quick stop in DT today. Best Rhody event I ever attended, 121 and 119 were loud.

Where can I rewatch this horror again, lot of people are saying they jumped the lane early on rebound off the missed free throw?

Also what are the backgrounds of the refs, the Projo podcast jokes they are from Oregon?
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Got back home this morning.... Like everyone has already mentioned it was a really special few days in Sacramento. Met dozens of great Rhody fans and spent some quality time with my son.

Best of all.... We were loud!!!

I was really proud of the Rhody fans that made the trip. Everyone was regularly up out of their seats and cheering and chanting during nearly every possession. We gave our guys a huge boost, no doubt about it. They were loving and feeding off our energy.

Can't wait to do it all again next year.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

And I got to have some beers with Roady Jay!
3 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

RAM67 wrote:For all of you who think the officiating had no effect on the game, or wasn't the prime reason we lost that game, GFY. I've been following this team since I was a junior in HS in 1962, and have seen a lot of ups and downs, and a lot of games, and this is in the top 5 of the most poorly officiated PRIME games I've seen. You can call me a homer, but I don't think you can say the same about the announcers and national press.
Homer...Simpson. It was not the prime reason why URI lost. This is world we live in...people make excuses, people don't accept responsibility and look in the mirror.

"Johnny, it's not your fault you got a C-. The professor was bad."
"Johnny, it's not your fault you can't get it job. It's those damn foreigners stealing the jobs."
"Johnny, it's not your fault you didn't rebound or hit enough shots. It was the refs' fault."

It's much easier to blame others than accept reality. Bottom line, URI lost to Oregon. Could've and possibly should've won the game. It hurts. That's the reality. Must deal with it rather than deny it.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

RhodyRam86 wrote:
RAM67 wrote:For all of you who think the officiating had no effect on the game, or wasn't the prime reason we lost that game, GFY. I've been following this team since I was a junior in HS in 1962, and have seen a lot of ups and downs, and a lot of games, and this is in the top 5 of the most poorly officiated PRIME games I've seen. You can call me a homer, but I don't think you can say the same about the announcers and national press.

While what you say about this game may absolutely be true, it is diluted by the fact that many on this board make the same complaint about every game URI loses. The ref cost us. The fix is in for the P5. If you look at posts prior to the Davidson game there were actually quotes that the fix would go our way so the A10 could get 3 teams to the dance. This is what happens when people cry wolf too much. I am devastated that we lost, but I'm not blaming the refs nor am I GFYing myself. I'm just not quite that talented.
Rhody Ram...this is extremely well articulated. I agree with you 100%.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Hey PMMM, while I don't wish you had died, I do wish you'd get your head out of your ass!

Our guys put it all out there for each other, made an epic late season run into the second round of the NCAA tourney slicing through the A10 tourney on the way, lost by one possession to a 3 seed basically without Martin and while getting royally screwed by poor officiating, take that in and if you can't appreciate this team and aren't grateful for their effort now, then you truly are not a fan. I'd suggest you find a hobby you actually like, you'll be happier, we'll be happier, win win.
3 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

10 fouls before 2 fouls, that's just ridiculous. 27 trips to the line to 9 trips to the line, as Rod said do your math. And whether or not you believe the refs changed the outcome of the game, you have to admit Rhody is one of the best teams in the nation, they just proved it.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86 wrote:First a little background on me. I grew up in RI a PC fan...Ernie D, Stacom, Hassett, etal. They were on TV. URI wasn't. Once I became a student at URI, my allegiance changed. I still root for the Friars so long as a Friar win doesn't negatively impact my Rams. Had season tix in 97/98 then moved to Boston. This is my first year back in the area and got season tix again. I saw every minute of every home game in person. I saw the PC game in person. I saw every minute of every other game on TV. When one game ended I would count the hours until the next game started. I hate the winter and lived for URI basketball.

I have been a fan of this board for several years...though this is my first post. I generally enjoy 90% of the posts.. The 10% I don't likely deal with officiating. It seems when URI loses it's because of the refs. When they win it is in spite of the refs. Everyone is out to get us. Every game we lose is fixed. The NCAA obviously wanted the P5 school to win so that's what happened. Oh...one caveat. When we were in the A10 tourney, fans actually believed the officiating would be in our favor because the A10 wanted 3 schools in the tourney. Really???

Let's look at a couple of the calls that it seems are getting the most attention:

1) Robinson's steal and out of bounds. I've watched the play a dozen times. When his foot first hits the floor it is out of bounds and he is touching the ball. There is no question he is out of bounds. 100%! But does it even matter? Oregon inbounded the ball, missed a quick 3 and EC got the rebound and was fouled. The "bad call" had no effect on the game.

2) EC's charge. When it happened I jumped out of my seat and yelled "NO". It was the wrong call. Should have been a block. The block was subtle. I don't think it was a horrendous call. It was just the wrong call at a bad time. I also don't think, as one person posted here, that it was the worse call in NCAA tourney history. I hope that was hyperbole. I honestly haven't seen every tourney game in NCAA history, but doubt that was the worse. Heck, I know a few Northwestern alums that would contend that a no call on a basketball interference just the day before was much more egregious.

The constant complaining on this site about refs is ridiculous (I know...some are going to tell me to It reeks of sour grapes and sore losers. The refs didn't lose this game because the NCAA wants P5 teams to advance. The Rams did. They couldn't protect an 11 point lead because they made 1 or 2 too many mistakes on the offensive end. They didn't secure rebounds at crucial moments. They didn't close out or rotate leaving too many wide open 3s. They got beat by a team with great players that made 1 more big shot than we did. No shame in that.

What URI did do is have a hell of a run. At the beginning of the year, I believe most on this board would have thought the Sweet 16 was our ceiling. We came up 2 minutes and a possession or two short. But what a ride. The loss hurts. No doubt. To be that close and lose is a killer, but I'm not blaming the refs. Instead I will think about the great ride. How the team was in elimination mode from the Fordham game on. How they worked hard, made clutch shots and grabbed clutch rebounds. How they showed the nation that URI can play with the best teams on the biggest stage. Awfully proud of this team and all they accomplished...
not read the posts any more).

RR86,
Welcome to the Board.
I agree with you on:
- Refs are not out to get URI
- Refs do not have a conspiracy with the NCAA to enable the P5 Teams to advance (they may have other ways of favoring P5 teams but not through corrupting Ref behavior
- Refs were not directed by the A10 to enable 3 teams to make the NCAAs

I know Referees in HS and College and they would say that this is simply not possible and I agree with them

Where I disagree:
That this board always blames the losses on the Refs and says when we win it is in spite of the Refs
Whenever we have lost this season most of the blame goes to the Head Coach - not very often to the Refs. Go back and review the Game Day Threads for all of our losses and I believe it will be clear where the majority of blame is aimed, and generally not at Referee Calls

The Oregon Game Itself:
First of all, I have not seen the game on TV yet. Once I am back home I will re-watch and replay some of the calls I questioned when live. My opinions may change.
I do not think that this particular group of Refs had a good game. Refs have good games, average games and bad games too - they are human.

3 Examples that are unlike any other game to me:
- URI did not write the tweets and articles about the Mathews charge call being bad. It was even listed as one of the Top 5 worst calls in the Tournament to date - and it was crucial in it's timing against URI. I think they missed this call. It is too bad they can't do replays of Charges in the last two minutes as they do other calls. What makes these different?

- Replays on the Giant Screen above the court at Golden One Arena. This is a brand new beautiful arena, opened just 6 months ago for the Sacramento Kings. The screen is huge facing both sides of the court. Biggest screen I have ever seen at a basketball game. You can even find yourself watching the screen and not the game itself it is so large. On many of the foul call replays the fans groaned and booed and these were not just the URI fans. Some fouls or other calls were deemed questionable by the crowd's reaction.

- In the second half I began to hear "6 to 1", "6 to 1", "6 to 1".......and I was befuddled, but it was actually our URI fan group who started this and this was the number of Team Fouls for URI vs Oregon in the 2nd half. Then it went to a "7 to 1", then "8 to 1" , then "9 to 1" was the chant getting even louder still. The arena was hearing it, the Refs had to hear it. URI and Oregon are the top 2 Shot Blocking Teams in the Nation. Both teams play very, very tough, hard nosed defense. We had a good sized lead. We were not in the position to have to create turnovers as much as Oregon was, yet the Team Foul numbers were way out of whack or balance. Was this inept Refereeing? Corrupt Refereeing? Don't know, but there was a gap large enough that a chant began - have never seen this happen in my life.

Jim Harrick said right after the game "we outplayed them"

These are observations, not meant to be excuses.

But to say that Refereeing did not have an outcome on the result of this game I think would be untrue.

Foul calls directly led to Martin and Dowtin playing fewer minutes than they would normally play. The touch foul on Martin in the first minute was very tough to take.

You like to say at the end of a basketball, football or baseball game that you didn't even think about the officiating, it was as if it was an afterthought and you can't even remember it. This game was not one of those and I think the majority of the fans at the game "live" would agree that the Refs were very noticeable.

It's over, let's move on, but it was a tough loss, especially for all of us witnessing it first hand.

I would encourage you, as a URI fan, to save up money and save up vacation time to go to next year's NCAA Tournament and view the game and the officiating LIVE! There is absolutely nothing like the experience - NOTHING!

5. Dillon Brooks’ charge
With 1:38 remaining in Sunday’s second-round matchup, Rhode Island and Oregon were tied at 72. The underdog Rams had the ball. E.C. Matthews drove from the left wing, where Dillon Brooks was waiting. Matthews elevated, but didn’t go straight into Brooks. He slid toward the baseline, but made contact with Brooks because Brooks slid underneath him. Brooks leaned in with his right shoulder, hit Matthews’ right hip, and fell to the floor. The refs whistled Matthews for the offensive foul:

As is the case with all of these calls, block/charge decisions are extremely difficult to make in real time. This one was wrong, though, and was costly for the Rams. Two possessions later, Tyler Dorsey won the game for Oregon with a 3-pointer.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/march-madn ... 05628.html
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
4 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Told all my friends that if the refs let us play we will be in the sweet 16 - if they call Ticky tack shit we will lose. It's that simple. Turbs out we could have won if they just called it evenly on the ticky tack fouls, but whatever.

Big picture - the NCAA has to do something with officiating in general. This was quite possibly the least enjoyable season for me in a long time in terms of the actual games because refs are calling fouls at a rediculous rate. i know they want to get rid of handchecking but they have gone to far. College basketball used to be the better product to me because it had more flow. Tell the refs to swallow the f'ing whistles and let the kids play!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

rhodylaw, they let Oregon play in the 2nd half......but called everything on us....

10-1 foul disparity against the LEADING team.......amazing

That crew imo should be suspended from reffing any more games for a while.

Does anybody know if that crew was from the west coast? If so, that's on the NCAA.....
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Running Ram wrote:10 fouls before 2 fouls, that's just ridiculous. 27 trips to the line to 9 trips to the line, as Rod said do your math. And whether or not you believe the refs changed the outcome of the game, you have to admit Rhody is one of the best teams in the nation, they just proved it.
And one of those trips to the line was a technical foul, not a foul called on a play.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Well said Ramster and agree with Rhodylaw as well. I said the same thing, I hope the refs let them play. As it turns out, Martin was taken out of the game early. I just watched the replay, as difficult as this one was, and if anyone thinks this was a well officiated game, I have to strongly disagree with that. They did call quite a few ticky tack fouls, but the majority were on URI, not Oregon. Oregon isn't a passive team that plays passive defense. They are physical,and have a very aggressive style. Look at the #'s, they don't lie. URI still could have won the game if they made a couple more plays, that can be said of any 2 or 3 point game. They could also have won if they had gotten the benefit of a couple of calls for them or against Oregon. I don't think there was some conspiracy for Oregon or P5 schools either. As Ramster says, these guys are human and like us all, have good days, not so good days and bad days. But to believe that the refs are not cognizant of a guy like Dillon Brooks and a top 5 or 10 team all year long and potentially don't have subconscious leans towards teams and players of higher notoriety , wouldn't be accurate either Its been that way for years. EC gets calls typically on the benefit of his reputation and status. I see comments about refs effecting games. That's only natural. Not sure if I see a lot of posts totally blaming losses on referees. Listen to comments of CBS guys who are clearly neutral. They questioned quite a few calls, as much as they can in their position and be objective. Our kids played their tails off and didn't get a fair shake. That's all any player would ask for is equally called both ways, whether tight or liberal. It's over, we lost,maybe not because of refs, but we certainly didn't get any favors from them either. Give the team their due and we'll move on to next year.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Ramster wrote:RR86,
Welcome to the Board.
I agree with you on:
- Refs are not out to get URI
- Refs do not have a conspiracy with the NCAA to enable the P5 Teams to advance (they may have other ways of favoring P5 teams but not through corrupting Ref behavior
- Refs were not directed by the A10 to enable 3 teams to make the NCAAs

I know Referees in HS and College and they would say that this is simply not possible and I agree with them

Where I disagree:
That this board always blames the losses on the Refs and says when we win it is in spite of the Refs
Whenever we have lost this season most of the blame goes to the Head Coach - not very often to the Refs. Go back and review the Game Day Threads for all of our losses and I believe it will be clear where the majority of blame is aimed, and generally not at Referee Calls

The Oregon Game Itself:
First of all, I have not seen the game on TV yet. Once I am back home I will re-watch and replay some of the calls I questioned when live. My opinions may change.
I do not think that this particular group of Refs had a good game. Refs have good games, average games and bad games too - they are human.

3 Examples that are unlike any other game to me:
- URI did not write the tweets and articles about the Mathews charge call being bad. It was even listed as one of the Top 5 worst calls in the Tournament to date - and it was crucial in it's timing against URI. I think they missed this call. It is too bad they can't do replays of Charges in the last two minutes as they do other calls. What makes these different?

- Replays on the Giant Screen above the court at Golden One Arena. This is a brand new beautiful arena, opened just 6 months ago for the Sacramento Kings. The screen is huge facing both sides of the court. Biggest screen I have ever seen at a basketball game. You can even find yourself watching the screen and not the game itself it is so large. On many of the foul call replays the fans groaned and booed and these were not just the URI fans. Some fouls or other calls were deemed questionable by the crowd's reaction.

- In the second half I began to hear "6 to 1", "6 to 1", "6 to 1".......and I was befuddled, but it was actually our URI fan group who started this and this was the number of Team Fouls for URI vs Oregon in the 2nd half. Then it went to a "7 to 1", then "8 to 1" , then "9 to 1" was the chant getting even louder still. The arena was hearing it, the Refs had to hear it. URI and Oregon are the top 2 Shot Blocking Teams in the Nation. Both teams play very, very tough, hard nosed defense. We had a good sized lead. We were not in the position to have to create turnovers as much as Oregon was, yet the Team Foul numbers were way out of whack or balance. Was this inept Refereeing? Corrupt Refereeing? Don't know, but there was a gap large enough that a chant began - have never seen this happen in my life.

Jim Harrick said right after the game "we outplayed them"

These are observations, not meant to be excuses.

But to say that Refereeing did not have an outcome on the result of this game I think would be untrue.

Foul calls directly led to Martin and Dowtin playing fewer minutes than they would normally play. The touch foul on Martin in the first minute was very tough to take.

You like to say at the end of a basketball, football or baseball game that you didn't even think about the officiating, it was as if it was an afterthought and you can't even remember it. This game was not one of those and I think the majority of the fans at the game "live" would agree that the Refs were very noticeable.

It's over, let's move on, but it was a tough loss, especially for all of us witnessing it first hand.

I would encourage you, as a URI fan, to save up money and save up vacation time to go to next year's NCAA Tournament and view the game and the officiating LIVE! There is absolutely nothing like the experience - NOTHING!

5. Dillon Brooks’ charge
With 1:38 remaining in Sunday’s second-round matchup, Rhode Island and Oregon were tied at 72. The underdog Rams had the ball. E.C. Matthews drove from the left wing, where Dillon Brooks was waiting. Matthews elevated, but didn’t go straight into Brooks. He slid toward the baseline, but made contact with Brooks because Brooks slid underneath him. Brooks leaned in with his right shoulder, hit Matthews’ right hip, and fell to the floor. The refs whistled Matthews for the offensive foul:

As is the case with all of these calls, block/charge decisions are extremely difficult to make in real time. This one was wrong, though, and was costly for the Rams. Two possessions later, Tyler Dorsey won the game for Oregon with a 3-pointer.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/march-madn ... 05628.html

Thanks for the well thought out reply Ramster. I never said the officiating for the game was good. I do the same thing as you are about to do. I go to the games and then come home to watch the tape...always looking out for calls that drew the ire of the crowd just to see who is right. There were definitely ticky tack fouls called against URI in the 2nd half. I agree that EC's charge was the wrong call. I thought it as the play happened and it was confirmed by replay. However, like I said previously, it wasn't a blatantly bad call. Like you said, refs are human. The movement on the block was subtle. It was the wrong call at a very bad time of the game. Even the announcer on CBS commented that "we have the benefit of replay".

I just believe there were many factors that led to the loss. Was the way the game being officiated a contributing factor? Of course, but I'm not willing to go that extra leap to say the refs cost us the game. We didn't make plays in the last 3 minutes and they did.

The biggest thing that jumped out to me when I watched the game a second time...and what I now believe was the biggest factor in us losing the game...was Hass being hurt. I didn't notice it on the live telecast and not once did the announcers ever comment on it. From the time Hass reentered the game after his first foul, he was hobbled the rest of the way. He limped from one end of the floor to the other. I don't think he ever leaped for a rebound. He ended up with 3 fouls. He did not finish the game. While the foul (definitely questionable), got him out of the game early, I believe his ineffectiveness had much more to do with the injury than with foul trouble. I'd love to hear your thoughts on that once you've had a chance to view the game on tape.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rhodylaw wrote:Told all my friends that if the refs let us play we will be in the sweet 16 - if they call Ticky tack shit we will lose. It's that simple. Turbs out we could have won if they just called it evenly on the ticky tack fouls, but whatever.

Big picture - the NCAA has to do something with officiating in general. This was quite possibly the least enjoyable season for me in a long time in terms of the actual games because refs are calling fouls at a rediculous rate. i know they want to get rid of handchecking but they have gone to far. College basketball used to be the better product to me because it had more flow. Tell the refs to swallow the f'ing whistles and let the kids play!
I brought three friends to the VCU home game who go to at most one game a year. They were absolutely disgusted by the pace of play in the first half and couldn't believe I spend money on season tickets for that product
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well we play physical defense and always will as long as Dan is here.........and VCU plays the same way.....so that's what you got when those teams play each other.....hard to see the refs just "letting then play" in that scenario.
0 x
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

anyone know where a link is to see the game again?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I never rewatch a game that we lose.......just makes me madder especially after what went down in this one.

The sting goes away some if left alone....but never completely....hell I still see Nelson missing that shot against Duke and us collapsing in the final minute against Stanford.

Those memories are seared in my mind forever...as long as I still have a mind.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Yea he we play physical defense - that does not mean everything is a foul. So yes, they should let them play.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I brought three friends to the VCU home game who go to at most one game a year. They were absolutely disgusted by the pace of play in the first half and couldn't believe I spend money on season tickets for that product
The foul situation for that game was way out of the norm for games at the Ryan Center.

What was your response to your friends when they told you that?
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Like you said, I told them it was out of the norm. It got slightly better in the second half and seeing a big, exciting win certainly helped to smooth things over. And the A10 championship/tournament run got them excited. Hopefully they'll be in for mini plans this year, but they're the type of fans I was talking about in another thread that will never be season ticket holders but we still need to find ways to engage. One is someone who went to URI and played on the football team in the early 90's but lives in Boston now, one lives close to Gillette, and one went to URI, lives in northern RI, owns his own business in MA and doesn't have the time to go to many more games.

The good news is it looks like I'll be more than doubling the seats on my season ticket account and will be bumping up in price level.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Running Ram wrote:Hey PMMM, while I don't wish you had died, I do wish you'd get your head out of your ass!

Our guys put it all out there for each other, made an epic late season run into the second round of the NCAA tourney slicing through the A10 tourney on the way, lost by one possession to a 3 seed basically without Martin and while getting royally screwed by poor officiating, take that in and if you can't appreciate this team and aren't grateful for their effort now, then you truly are not a fan. I'd suggest you find a hobby you actually like, you'll be happier, we'll be happier, win win.
Can you find me a post where I criticized anybody's effort or heart? Instead, actually read and process information. Please tell me where what I stated was inaccurate.

1) Failed to get a rebound on a missed FT.
2) Fouled a 3-point shooter.
3) Threw away an inbounds pass near the mid-court stripe.
4) Forced a ball inside to be intercepted after coming out of a timeout.
5) Stood around and watched a 1-on-1 fiddle and diddle with 30 seconds left instead of either executing an actual diagrammed play or simply going for a quick 2 point basket and then fouling.

These are all observational basketball facts and failures of execution by the URI team. There is no disputing them. You can check the play-by-play sheet. If I'm wrong, hey I'll be the first to admit so.

This has nothing to do with "not being grateful for their effort." Can you please objectively look at the Oregon game? (That's the only thing I'm referring to.) The answer is you clearly cannot. Again, please tell me where I have posted something inaccurate.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It's as much what you haven't said as what you have. Where were you praising the team after their A10 championship? Where were you praising them after the Creighton win? It's amazing that you have so much extra time to post when things go bad but no time to post when things are going well.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
Homer...Simpson. It was not the prime reason why URI lost. This is world we live in...people make excuses, people don't accept responsibility and look in the mirror.

"Johnny, it's not your fault you got a C-. The professor was bad."
"Johnny, it's not your fault you can't get it job. It's those damn foreigners stealing the jobs."
"Johnny, it's not your fault you didn't rebound or hit enough shots. It was the refs' fault."

It's much easier to blame others than accept reality. Bottom line, URI lost to Oregon. Could've and possibly should've won the game. It hurts. That's the reality. Must deal with it rather than deny it.

Homer here.

I am dealing with the loss as are most others on here, and around the country who agree on what I've said. I didn't say that every loss was the ref's fault nor did I blame any losses on poor Johnny. What I did say is that they had an extraordinary effect on this particular game, as was nicely summed up by Ramster. Another way to look at your assertion that Oregon made the plays when it counted, is to say they may not have had those chances without the calls and especially the non calls by the refs.
I don't remember ever commenting on your posts, but this I do know from observation: you do have plenty to say after a loss, and you do have a problem with Dan Hurley.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

As big a URI fan as there is, I root for us to win every single game just because I am fan.

I will be rooting for an undefeated season next year so that PMMM has to find another message board to bitch on.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Good one, Blue Man. Even I'm not in the same ballpark.......

Hey, we are one more good big away from being the odds on favorite to win the A10 next year...well maybe VCU is with us if they keep their recruits...that's some serious size they have coming in if it holds. Young or not.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rambone 78 wrote:Good one, Blue Man. Even I'm not in the same ballpark.......

Hey, we are one more good big away from being the odds on favorite to win the A10 next year...well maybe VCU is with us if they keep their recruits...that's some serious size they have coming in if it holds. Young or not.
Bone. You have seen a lot and been through a lot as a fan. We may butt heads on certain things (I am an excitable latin and will butt heads with anyone) but you are here win or lose. The board and fanbase need more people engaged period. But I must say winning real games for the first time in almost 20 years took doombone to boombone (name under construction but your positivity is inspiring).

PMMM is a troll's troll - but not even trolling. He believes everything he says and goes out of his way to point out only the negative. Someone could hand him a bar of gold and he'd sit there and point out that he'd seen gold bars with better polish on them, even if this was his first time seeing gold.

Showing up only in bad times to pick out things to whine about...but we're not even in bad times! We're basking in the afterglow of the best 4 weeks and postseason in the last 20 years. It's almost an artform to pick out the bad in a situation that's the furthest from it. He could be a superhero with this ability if you could get a cape to stay on a soft turd that is sitting in a bowl of punch.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Damn straight BM......things aren't perfect of course but they are looking up, way up.....Dan is still a work in progress but he's come a long way in a fairly short time.....he has really dedicated himself to improving as a bench coach...and he should get even better as time goes on.....
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Me and rambone right now:

3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

lol
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Hey, BM, those two guys are Italian.
Poffo and Bollea.
You may have to make Rambone an
honorary Italian.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Amici, Rod and Blue Man!
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Are you kidding?
Blue Man is like a family member I never knew I had,
until I met him.
Even my daughter says,"He's like one of ours."
He's a little more hyper and more patso than me, but all the same.......
I would have considered adopting him if he was an orphan.
3 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

OK one last chime in.

We had multiple opportunities in this game to take the game away from the refs. Shame on us, it happens.

However understanding the rules of basketball as I do (while acknowledging that the charge call is perhaps the most difficult call an official has to make) the O Foul call on Matthews was not even close. The call should have been overruled. Crystal clear, not a question.

Further, Brooks should not have been in the game. He fouled out multiple times. He should have been ejected for a 2nd technical. Multiple observed examples of taunting among other NCAA sportsmanship violations.

Atrocious.

Rhode Island won that game.

That's it talk to y'all later!

Go Rhody!
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Haven't posted since the game (not that anyone particularly cares), but the one thing that stood out to me is that we were just as good as those guys. It was no fluke that the game went down to the wire. We can play with almost anyone. Certainly with those guys. Maybe Boucher plays and it's different, but we basically played without Martin. And we were just as good as them. Maybe better. Just as athletic for sure. I had knowledgable family members from out of state (Big 10 country) that were highly impressed, specifically with the athleticism we play with. They kept texting me. A real bad charge call, plus we lost our composure a little bit at the end, and we lost. Sucks. But man, were these last few weeks great to watch!!! One good grad transfer power forward and we should be a force to be reckoned with next year. We'll be good even with the guys we got. Plenty to look forward to!
Last edited by UCH21377 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Just saw a replay of the EC charge call. Not only did Brooks lean into him he took quite a flop. He is 6'7" and weighs 225 and acted like he was hit by Refrigerator Perry.

Also, I think I had a beer or two or three with BAR.........
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

A couple Oregon players also appeared to be taunting the URI fans right after the game...bunch of punks.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

eli#10 wrote:Just saw a replay of the EC charge call. Not only did Brooks lean into him he took quite a flop. He is 6'7" and weighs 225 and acted like he was hit by Refrigerator Perry.

Also, I think I had a beer or two or three with BAR.........
Mine were O'Doul's
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Blue Man wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Good one, Blue Man. Even I'm not in the same ballpark.......

Bone. You have seen a lot and been through a lot as a fan. We may butt heads on certain things (I am an excitable latin and will butt heads with anyone) but you are here win or lose. The board and fanbase need more people engaged period. But I must say winning real games for the first time in almost 20 years took doombone to boombone (name under construction but your positivity is inspiring).

PMMM is a troll's troll - but not even trolling. He believes everything he says and goes out of his way to point out only the negative. Someone could hand him a bar of gold and he'd sit there and point out that he'd seen gold bars with better polish on them, even if this was his first time seeing gold.

Showing up only in bad times to pick out things to whine about...but we're not even in bad times! We're basking in the afterglow of the best 4 weeks and postseason in the last 20 years. It's almost an artform to pick out the bad in a situation that's the furthest from it. He could be a superhero with this ability if you could get a cape to stay on a soft turd that is sitting in a bowl of punch.
1) All URI fans should bask in the afterglow. It's been a long time. Congratulations to the players, coaches and staff. They should be extremely proud and it will sink in more 10 and 20 years down the road, when they're old like me. Sorry I didn't post about this immediately after the game or during a game. I'm not on my computer 24/7. I was busy with my kids. You know, a life outside of URI basketball games. (I know, I'm an awful dad. My kids hate me.)
2) Not sure why I would be labeled a "troll." I have yet to read a post that has debunked any of the facts or observations I offered following the Oregon game. One can be critical of the late game collapse and still be a fan, right? We're not allowed to critique the game because folks are simply grateful that they went to the NCAA tourney for the first time in forever? I'm sorry, I didn't see that rule written in the message board rule book.
3) I do not engage in name calling of players or fellow posters. I'll leave that to the rest of you to insult and name call behind the anonymity of a message board. Very easy to do and very common to do. And those that do it are why some folks think those who post on message boards are delusional and the worst type of fan.
4) Folks should go back and read EVERYBODY"s posts following the Fordham game. Go back to the end of the Dayton game where the Flyers scored a corner 3 and URI butchered the baseline out of bounds plays. Where was all the loving posts then? The issues with Dan's x's and o's and stagnant offense did not disappear just because URI made it to the round of 32.
5) Can somebody publish the requirements to get an official "FAN OF URI" identification card? This accusatory tone of who's a real fan and who's not is ridiculous. Does it really matter if somebody went to URI, lives in SK, lives in Johnston, simply roots for URI because their favorite color is blue, etc. It's all irrelevant. If you're on the board, then you're a fan.
4 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

I hope those punks Oregon get run out of the gym tonight against Michigan, granted i'm still salty but Brooks came off as such a D-bag. Matter of fact F the entire Pac 12
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Your wish didn't come true.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Seeing Oregon pretty much handle Kansas pretty easily makes me feel better about how good we were this year. We gave Oregon everything they could handle.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

PMMM, I wouldn't go so far as to call you a troll, you obviously watch the games and you bring up valid points. yeah, far be it from me to decide who's a fan and who is not. I just think you should have gotten a little more joy from this season than you seem to have and if I'm incorrect in thinking you didn't get any joy from the season, that would be because you never post anything to counter point your disappointment. Bring up the Fordham game, the three early season road losses, whatever, those were times we should have been disappointed and there were plenty of things to be disappointed about along the ride to the final 32, but there were also many things this team (coaches and players) did on the way back to relevance that should be praised and honored with our acknowledgement, something you don't really ever do, that's, I believe, why some feel you troll the board. You're quick to analyze and critique, your tone is always harsh, you never provide praise or even seem satisfied. I was irritated, my bad, with your analysis of this game because it's the last of the season and of a successful run that brought myself and my family and many of my friends great joy and extremely pleasant entertainment. I think the program and the players especially deserve to feel our love and appreciation at this time. Even if you have the need to provide criticism, you could at least slide a compliment or two in your posts, show some appreciation, some support. Again, the team deserves at least that much from a fan.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It isn't just the criticism of the team. It's gratuitously shitting on anyone who dares to say anything positive, complimentary or hopeful about the team; mocking people for rooting for the team; and taking the posture of harsh critic without demonstrating any of the requisite subject-matter expertise - in all of the chirping and attempts to undermine other posters, I haven't seen any evidence that the guy actually knows anything about basketball. He's just taking advantage of the fact that being critical can give off the impression that you know what you're talking about.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Unread post by class of 86 »

I wouldn't mind if Oregon won and it was said later that URI was their toughest game.In spite of injuries to top players on both teams.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting article on Chris Silva of South Carolina

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/03/who-is- ... bon-africa
0 x