Game #35: Oregon (NCAA Tournnment Rd of 32) - Sun March 19

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Re: Game #35: Oregon (NCAA Tournnment Rd of 32) - Sun March 19

Unread post by OBRAM »

When we went down by 8 early in 1st half I was saying, maybe we are not on the level of a Pac10 team, but then the ticky tac fouls stopped, we went up , and I said, we belong. That is why it is a hard defeat, because we could have won the game by 5, instead of losing by 3. At this level, you just need to make the clutch plays in the last two minutes, Ducks hit their shots, in1998, Kansas didn't.
1 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

One last comment on the refs from the whole tourney. Assuming all refs make mistakes, isn't it odd that even in this list of the top blown calls (yes URI is in there), every bad call benefits the favored team? Maybe psychologically the refs give those teams the benefit of the doubt? Again, not saying we lost because of the refs, but I feel it's a legit discussion point.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/march-madn ... 05628.html
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

My thoughts, I'm still torn on this. A tough tough loss to get over. But a great great season, that I hope will be the start of something big and our name being called regularly on selection Sunday. Very bittersweet. Martin and Iverson will be tough to replace, but they have a good team coming back. Akele and Langevine will need help down low though. They'll be very guard heavy. Now, how about Stanford Robinson? What a great game from him.

To quote Seth Davis:

"Stanford Robinson averages 6 ppg this season. Of course he has 21 tonight."
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Tough loss......having trouble getting over. Kids performed fantastic. I am not one to complain about refs either, but c'mon, give all teams equal shot. These kids from URI worked their ass's off and deserve better. You can say its not the refs, if we rebounded, hit another shot, whatever, but when officials are so blatantly in favor of the P5 schools, its sickening. It's simply not a level playing field. This always is the case with mid majors vs P5 schools unless you attain Gonzaga or Wichita St status. I am sorry, but deck is stacked against mid majors. You have to literally be 10 or 15 points better to balance off the ref effect. Out of all the P5 teams in tourney, is it a coincidence Dayton has to face a an extremely under seeded Wichita St? VCU has to play St Mary's? With so many questions of how a mid major would fair against the mid level major schools, why not match them up? Why couldn't Dayton play Vandy or Miami? Wich St play Arkansas or Virginia? You hear the argument that if you want to win it all, you have to beat everyone and anyone anyway. For URI, Dayton, VCU, it's fantastic to win a game or 2.Can be a program changer. While its great to dream of a final 4 or even a championship, it may not be very realistic for the mid majors. But a win or 2 is like a championship or badge of honor for the individual team and its fans.

Anyway, very difficult to swallow. One of those games where you wonder if it may have been better to lose by 15 and clearly be the inferior team. In this case we more than proved we belonged and were the better team that simply didn't make a play, get a rebound when it was needed. Sad for Hass. Foul trouble is always a concern. He got the 1st one so early on, Dan took him out and never was able to get in any type of groove, to say the least.
All in all, the teamultimately achieved what many of us had hoped for in Oct and November. It may have been a rocky road at points in the season, but this team and coaching staff never quit and gave us thrills, that we may have wondered if we would ever see again. Tough way to go out, but kids achieved so much and certainly should hold their heads high and be very proud of their accomplishments. All in Ram nation will be talking about this team for some time. Hopefully we can do a repeat performance next year.
4 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

The fact that they were able to almost win this game basically without Hassan speaks volumes. This team is gritty as hell and I can't wait to do it all again next year.
5 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

RhodeIslandRams wrote:One last comment on the refs from the whole tourney. Assuming all refs make mistakes, isn't it odd that even in this list of the top blown calls (yes URI is in there), every bad call benefits the favored team? Maybe psychologically the refs give those teams the benefit of the doubt? Again, not saying we lost because of the refs, but I feel it's a legit discussion point.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/march-madn ... 05628.html

call was atrocious

b/c of the time of the game, the call absolutely killed us

what a shame
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

First a little background on me. I grew up in RI a PC fan...Ernie D, Stacom, Hassett, etal. They were on TV. URI wasn't. Once I became a student at URI, my allegiance changed. I still root for the Friars so long as a Friar win doesn't negatively impact my Rams. Had season tix in 97/98 then moved to Boston. This is my first year back in the area and got season tix again. I saw every minute of every home game in person. I saw the PC game in person. I saw every minute of every other game on TV. When one game ended I would count the hours until the next game started. I hate the winter and lived for URI basketball.

I have been a fan of this board for several years...though this is my first post. I generally enjoy 90% of the posts.. The 10% I don't likely deal with officiating. It seems when URI loses it's because of the refs. When they win it is in spite of the refs. Everyone is out to get us. Every game we lose is fixed. The NCAA obviously wanted the P5 school to win so that's what happened. Oh...one caveat. When we were in the A10 tourney, fans actually believed the officiating would be in our favor because the A10 wanted 3 schools in the tourney. Really???

Let's look at a couple of the calls that it seems are getting the most attention:

1) Robinson's steal and out of bounds. I've watched the play a dozen times. When his foot first hits the floor it is out of bounds and he is touching the ball. There is no question he is out of bounds. 100%! But does it even matter? Oregon inbounded the ball, missed a quick 3 and EC got the rebound and was fouled. The "bad call" had no effect on the game.

2) EC's charge. When it happened I jumped out of my seat and yelled "NO". It was the wrong call. Should have been a block. The block was subtle. I don't think it was a horrendous call. It was just the wrong call at a bad time. I also don't think, as one person posted here, that it was the worse call in NCAA tourney history. I hope that was hyperbole. I honestly haven't seen every tourney game in NCAA history, but doubt that was the worse. Heck, I know a few Northwestern alums that would contend that a no call on a basketball interference just the day before was much more egregious.

The constant complaining on this site about refs is ridiculous (I know...some are going to tell me to not read the posts any more). It reeks of sour grapes and sore losers. The refs didn't lose this game because the NCAA wants P5 teams to advance. The Rams did. They couldn't protect an 11 point lead because they made 1 or 2 too many mistakes on the offensive end. They didn't secure rebounds at crucial moments. They didn't close out or rotate leaving too many wide open 3s. They got beat by a team with great players that made 1 more big shot than we did. No shame in that.

What URI did do is have a hell of a run. At the beginning of the year, I believe most on this board would have thought the Sweet 16 was our ceiling. We came up 2 minutes and a possession or two short. But what a ride. The loss hurts. No doubt. To be that close and lose is a killer, but I'm not blaming the refs. Instead I will think about the great ride. How the team was in elimination mode from the Fordham game on. How they worked hard, made clutch shots and grabbed clutch rebounds. How they showed the nation that URI can play with the best teams on the biggest stage. Awfully proud of this team and all they accomplished...
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I couldn't get to sleep last night, so maybe this is the sleep deprivation talking, but I feel good this morning. Going into this year I hoped they would make the Sweet Sixteen, so they almost accomplished what I hoped they would and they achieved what they had to by going to the tournament and we added our second conference championship as a cherry on the sundae. There's no doubt we handled ourselves well on the big stage with the chance to go to the Sweet Sixteen. Think about how Hurley would have reacted to some of those calls last night if he hadn't improved since the middle of last year, he's growing as a coach. The players played their best basketball when it mattered the most. And now we have about $400,000 a year for the next six years to kick things up another notch.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Hopefully the fanbase can match that $400k a year. It's time for that to happen if it's expected that we hang with VCU and Dayton year after year.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i think we are just upset the call didn't go our way and just was looking for a break on that call

as i said, the more relevant we become, the tougher the losses are to take.

we played our hearts out, that is for sure
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

For every team in the NCAAT, except one, their season ends with a loss.....

Just that ours was extra tough to take [aren't they all?] ......we should have had at least one more game left in us.

We played a top 10 team to the wire and with any breaks at all, we win......and we didn't even have our best player able to contribute due to injury.
0 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:First a little background on me. I grew up in RI a PC fan...Ernie D, Stacom, Hassett, etal. They were on TV. URI wasn't. Once I became a student at URI, my allegiance changed. I still root for the Friars so long as a Friar win doesn't negatively impact my Rams. Had season tix in 97/98 then moved to Boston. This is my first year back in the area and got season tix again. I saw every minute of every home game in person. I saw the PC game in person. I saw every minute of every other game on TV. When one game ended I would count the hours until the next game started. I hate the winter and lived for URI basketball.

I have been a fan of this board for several years...though this is my first post. I generally enjoy 90% of the posts.. The 10% I don't likely deal with officiating. It seems when URI loses it's because of the refs. When they win it is in spite of the refs. Everyone is out to get us. Every game we lose is fixed. The NCAA obviously wanted the P5 school to win so that's what happened. Oh...one caveat. When we were in the A10 tourney, fans actually believed the officiating would be in our favor because the A10 wanted 3 schools in the tourney. Really???

Let's look at a couple of the calls that it seems are getting the most attention:

1) Robinson's steal and out of bounds. I've watched the play a dozen times. When his foot first hits the floor it is out of bounds and he is touching the ball. There is no question he is out of bounds. 100%! But does it even matter? Oregon inbounded the ball, missed a quick 3 and EC got the rebound and was fouled. The "bad call" had no effect on the game.

2) EC's charge. When it happened I jumped out of my seat and yelled "NO". It was the wrong call. Should have been a block. The block was subtle. I don't think it was a horrendous call. It was just the wrong call at a bad time. I also don't think, as one person posted here, that it was the worse call in NCAA tourney history. I hope that was hyperbole. I honestly haven't seen every tourney game in NCAA history, but doubt that was the worse. Heck, I know a few Northwestern alums that would contend that a no call on a basketball interference just the day before was much more egregious.

The constant complaining on this site about refs is ridiculous (I know...some are going to tell me to not read the posts any more). It reeks of sour grapes and sore losers. The refs didn't lose this game because the NCAA wants P5 teams to advance. The Rams did. They couldn't protect an 11 point lead because they made 1 or 2 too many mistakes on the offensive end. They didn't secure rebounds at crucial moments. They didn't close out or rotate leaving too many wide open 3s. They got beat by a team with great players that made 1 more big shot than we did. No shame in that.

What URI did do is have a hell of a run. At the beginning of the year, I believe most on this board would have thought the Sweet 16 was our ceiling. We came up 2 minutes and a possession or two short. But what a ride. The loss hurts. No doubt. To be that close and lose is a killer, but I'm not blaming the refs. Instead I will think about the great ride. How the team was in elimination mode from the Fordham game on. How they worked hard, made clutch shots and grabbed clutch rebounds. How they showed the nation that URI can play with the best teams on the biggest stage. Awfully proud of this team and all they accomplished...
Personally I hate blaming refs, so I'm with you there. I do however have to take some exception to you just wiping out the claim the refs did change the game, and maybe for both teams, but I'm focused on the Rams...

You have to consider the entirety of what a foul does to the game. First all of the fouls add up, so even though the opponent may not score immediately following a foul, it creates a drag on a player's psyche, it can result in a reduction of minutes, it adds to the teams total fouls, which then result in free throws. So right out of the shoot we can't just isolate a single foul to the subsequent play and if it didn't immediately harm the team equate it to a non-event?

Let me dig in on two examples really quick that caused a problem:

00:23 into the game (19:37 mark) - Are you telling me a little jockeying for position between Hassan and Bell is a foul on Hassan? Go back and watch it, they both did exactly the same thing. This foul caused a major issue and set the tone for Hassan and his minutes for the rest of the game.

(FFWD)

16:22 into the second half (3:37 mark) - Terrell literally bumps Dorsey as he drives to the hoop and it's whistled. They don't call that foul between six year old's, let alone at the end of a tie game in which the foul creates a double-bonus, with the Sweet 16 on the line.
Last edited by Keatgsr07 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I'm emotionally hungover today
2 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Sorry, but 27-8 margin in free throws DID impact the entire game.
Yes, we didn't score in the last 2 minutes, which is on us.
However 19 more free throw attempts made it a closer game
and put points on the Oregon side.
We lost by 3 points. Do the math.
This cannot be ignored, no matter how much anyone wants to
seem like a good loser.
We got screwed, period.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
14 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

hear hear
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And Oregon was aggressive on D, just like we were.

The zebras called everything on us, and nothing on them.

These are supposed to be the best refs the NCAA has to offer. Well they do their best to make sure the mid majors get screwed.

We still had chances to make winnings plays/shots at the end though.....and that's the one thing that was an issue earlier this season, and it came back to haunt us again at the worst time.

The long rebounds that hurt us was just bad luck however.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Hate complaining about the refs also, and not even that mad at the FTA disparity...but the charging call on EC was absolute BS. You have to square up the guy, EC went over his right shoulder and grazed him. It's either a no call or a block and at the 1 minute mark in a game that is a difference maker.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Keatgsr07 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:First a little background on me. I grew up in RI a PC fan...Ernie D, Stacom, Hassett, etal. They were on TV. URI wasn't. Once I became a student at URI, my allegiance changed. I still root for the Friars so long as a Friar win doesn't negatively impact my Rams. Had season tix in 97/98 then moved to Boston. This is my first year back in the area and got season tix again. I saw every minute of every home game in person. I saw the PC game in person. I saw every minute of every other game on TV. When one game ended I would count the hours until the next game started. I hate the winter and lived for URI basketball.

Personally I hate blaming refs, so I'm with you there. I do however have to take some exception to you just wiping out the claim the refs did change the game, and maybe for both teams, but I'm focused on the Rams...

You have to consider the entirety of what a foul does to the game. First all of the fouls add up, so even though the opponent may not score immediately following a foul, it creates a drag on a player's psyche, it can result in a reduction of minutes, it adds to the teams total fouls, which then result in free throws. So right out of the shoot we can't just isolate a single foul to the subsequent play and if it didn't immediately harm the team equate it to a non-event?

Let me dig in on two examples really quick that caused a problem:

00:23 into the game (19:37 mark) - Are you telling me a little jockeying for position between Hassan and Bell is a foul on Hassan? Go back and watch it, they both did exactly the same thing. This foul caused a major issue and set the tone for Hassan and his minutes for the rest of the game.

(FFWD)

16:22 into the second half (3:37 mark) - Terrell literally bumps Dorsey as he drives to the hoop and it's whistled. They don't call that foul between six year old's, let alone at the end of a tie game in which the foul creates a double-bonus, with the Sweet 16 on the line.
That foul may have been the worst for me. They didn't even bump. They were running and then boom whistle. 2 shots. 2 points.

Easier to hit the last 3 when you can get comfortable at the line all night.
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

I agree with the Martin foul in the first minute of the game. Probably should have been a no call. And agree it set a tone. I knew Terrell's foul, right or wrong, was going to get called as soon as it happened.

I pretty much agree with everything you said except for the fact that the two examples I brought up had nothing to do with future foul shots. The first one (Stan's out of bounds) actually ended up leading to an Oregon foul. EC's charge was offensive and the Ducks were already in the double bonus anyway.

My overall point is that blaming the officiating for a loss is not a good look and a number of posters on this board thinks URI gets screwed in every game they play in. The fix is always in. If that's the case, why bother watching the games? If they are fixed, the outcome is pre-deterrmined.

I'm just not going to blame the officials when Jarred makes an ill advised pass at the 1 minute market. Or when the team scores 26 points in the second half. Or when a team can't rebound a foul shot or the ensuing missed 3 pointer. Or when Iverson has his one or two brain cramps each game and fouls an off balance 3 point shooter with the shot clock running out. And for anyone who doesn't think that was a shooting foul, you would be screaming if it happened to EC and not called a shooting foul. Even with the disparity in fouls, the game was there for the taking.

Believe me...I'm dying today like the rest of you. All those negatives I mentioned don't offset the incredible game Stan had. Cyril 4-4 from the field and 1-1 from the line. He always had the moves. Now he is finishing! Or the many clutch shots Terrell made with a hand in his face.

Who knows what next year brings? My guess is Thompson is gone. We have 4 plus guards coming back. I think Cyril is going to be much improved (my PC friend who has season tix compared Cyril to a freshman Bentil...I'd sign up for that). We need another big or 2, not easy to get, but if we do, this team will be back next March!
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

how about all those grad transfers exposed to our program on this run and seeing the chance to join this team and go dancing. I am guessing we grab a big that can fill a role.
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Bentil was a real stretch 4, who could shoot from anywhere.
I like Langevine, but they're two very different types
of players.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

I said the same thing about Bentil, but that is apparently not the case when he was a Freshman. Not saying Langevine will turn into that. He doesn't need to stretch the floor like Bentil, but if he could learn to put the ball on the floor for one dribble without having it taken away and can add a 7 foot jumper and little hook shot, I would be very happy.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Maybe we can pick up Ennis from Oregon after this year, he'll only be 26 and in his 7th season. We could used a seasoned geriatric leader like that.
6 x
Mobley was fouled.
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

RI_Bred wrote:Maybe we can pick up Ennis from Oregon after this year, he'll only be 26 and in his 7th season. We could used a seasoned geriatric leader like that.
Talk about upside!

Hurley needs to start recruiting degenerates.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:2) EC's charge. When it happened I jumped out of my seat and yelled "NO". It was the wrong call. Should have been a block. The block was subtle. I don't think it was a horrendous call. It was just the wrong call at a bad time. I also don't think, as one person posted here, that it was the worse call in NCAA tourney history. I hope that was hyperbole. I honestly haven't seen every tourney game in NCAA history, but doubt that was the worse. Heck, I know a few Northwestern alums that would contend that a no call on a basketball interference just the day before was much more egregious.

An article on Yahoo sports called the EC "charge" the fifth worst call of the weekend. That's not being a homer, they got a massive call wrong at the worst part of the game.

Why do you think we had such a difficult time securing rebounds? Could it be because Oregon could go over the back all night and we got called for any and all of our bumping? Makes it hard for us to be aggressive and lets Oregon go all out, which certainly changes how rebounding goes.

I know it's a thing to say the refs didn't have an effect to show how above it all you are. We were called for 6 more fouls. We went to the line 19 fewer times. The refs were a giant factor and anyone that thinks otherwise is an Oregon fan or did as poor a job paying attention last night as the refs.
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Think about this.
The team that's ahead, usually has less fouls called,
because they don't need to be desperate and reach in
trying to get the ball.
Somehow at one point, we had an 11 point lead,
yet it was 10-1 in fouls against us.
It defies logic, and normal basketball.
8 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I didn't have a problem with the Stan foot out of bounds play I thought refs got that right

I do have a problem with the FT disparity 27-8 is a joke

Also have a problem with the EC charge call there is 1 minutes left in the tie game refs better get that right
5 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I hate using fouls as an excuse, but my god it certainly helped the ducks tie the game. One sided officiating.
1 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I had a problem with the fact that the amount of missed calls on Brooks should've taken him out of the game.

Hass got some quick ticky tack calls, but Brooks was given a separate set of rules to play by.

He football tackled Jarvis up the sideline - no call. Block/charge? No call. He was allowed to be as aggressive as he wanted, even after the technical foul.

Again, if we secure one of those 2 rebounds from the free throw line with a 3 point lead we win - that's on us. But the refs had it in for us and did what they could to give Oregon that game.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

yeah, the new foul rules only applied to us.

The refs let Oregon play by the old rules....push off, bump, grab, whatever.......no calls.

If the fouls had been called even close to even, it wouldn't have come down to the last 2 minutes.....we win.

And all of this without anything from Hassan.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:2) EC's charge. When it happened I jumped out of my seat and yelled "NO". It was the wrong call. Should have been a block. The block was subtle. I don't think it was a horrendous call. It was just the wrong call at a bad time. I also don't think, as one person posted here, that it was the worse call in NCAA tourney history. I hope that was hyperbole. I honestly haven't seen every tourney game in NCAA history, but doubt that was the worse. Heck, I know a few Northwestern alums that would contend that a no call on a basketball interference just the day before was much more egregious.

An article on Yahoo sports called the EC "charge" the fifth worst call of the weekend. That's not being a homer, they got a massive call wrong at the worst part of the game.

Why do you think we had such a difficult time securing rebounds? Could it be because Oregon could go over the back all night and we got called for any and all of our bumping? Makes it hard for us to be aggressive and lets Oregon go all out, which certainly changes how rebounding goes.

I know it's a thing to say the refs didn't have an effect to show how above it all you are. We were called for 6 more fouls. We went to the line 19 fewer times. The refs were a giant factor and anyone that thinks otherwise is an Oregon fan or did as poor a job paying attention last night as the refs.

I'm not above it all. And maybe I would feel differently if it wasn't the same griping in every game URI plays. Especially the ones we lose. Go back and look at the threads from previous games and you'll see what I mean. There is no way that I would believe a fix was in as many contend. Oregon isn't Duke or Michigan. They don't have a huge national following. The whole P5 fix is a joke. If people really believe that to be the case...STOP WATCHING! We play a more aggressive defense than anyone I've seen this year (except maybe VCU). We will always have more fouls. I agree there were more calls that didn't go our way last night...especially the EC charge. And that wasn't a blatant block in live action. Even the announcer said ("of course we have the benefit of replay") We were called for 21 fouls. They had 14. I don't find the numbers themselves mind boggling. And perhaps had one or two more gone our way we win. But we still had our chances and didn't make the plays at the end. Everyone wants to blame the refs. Nobody want to blame Kuran for fouling a 3 point shooter when the shot clock is running out. No one wants to blame Jarred for an ill advised pass in the last minute. I don't think the refs had anything to do with those plays. There are a lot of reasons URI lost and a few blown calls were certainly part of it, but they weren't the be all end all. So no, I'm not "above it all"...just prefer to take the high road (which is something I can certainly use work on :)
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I have not blamed the refs once all season.
I sure as hell do for last night's debacle.
Even calls mean whatever happened to Iverson and Terrell at the end,
would not have mattered at all.
Again, just do the math.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There aren't many games where we get outshot by 27-8, no matter how aggressively we play defense.

Oregon played the same way, especially in the second half, and they were behind......but the refs let them get away with it, which should never have happened.

We didn't make the plays at the end yes, but it shouldn't have come down to that. Even with that, Oregon got the breaks on the FT misses...the rebounds were long, and over our heads...we were in position.

P.S. Dillon Brooks should have fouled out......twice over.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Stop crying about the refs. Bad calls happen. It goes both ways. Deal with it. Should've been block call on EC's drive. Well, EC forced the ref to make a bad call by making a bad decision to drive 1-on-2. Dumb play. Earlier in the year on this board some were putting out a "conspiracy theory" that the A-10 office and refs are against URI. Yet URI won the A-10 tourney. How did that happen? (I thought the A-10 wouldn't allow it?) Were people complaining about the refs vs. VCU. Oh only when URI loses.

Just like I expect the Pats to come thru in the clutch by making the plays and being smart down the stretch, I expect URI to do the opposite with 2 minutes left and up 4 points. Sure enough, brain cramps. Crapped it away.

Danny, at the moment, is not known for his great X's and O's. The last few minutes was not one shining moment for Danny.

Happy they played and beat depleted Creighton. Coulda, woulda, shoulda vs. Oregon. (said the same thing about loss vs. Stanford in '98)
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Welcome back, PMMM. :roll:
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: Happy they played and beat depleted Creighton.
Actually, I would be willing to bet you weren't happy about this at all. Had to throw the word "depleted" in there, right?

Be honest with everybody for once, how pissed are you that Dan Hurley was coaching a URI team in the second round of an NCAA Tournament game? The whole 9 game win streak (including an A10 Tournament title) must have been excruciating for you!
10 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

This A-10 and NCAA run, was a time for every true fan to put differences aside,
and root like hell for Rhody.
To disparage their win against Creighton, seems wrong.
This assumes you're a true follower or the program, whatever you may think
of coaches or individual players.
8 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: I'm not above it all. And maybe I would feel differently if it wasn't the same griping in every game URI plays. Especially the ones we lose. Go back and look at the threads from previous games and you'll see what I mean. There is no way that I would believe a fix was in as many contend. Oregon isn't Duke or Michigan. They don't have a huge national following. The whole P5 fix is a joke. If people really believe that to be the case...STOP WATCHING! We play a more aggressive defense than anyone I've seen this year (except maybe VCU). We will always have more fouls. I agree there were more calls that didn't go our way last night...especially the EC charge. And that wasn't a blatant block in live action. Even the announcer said ("of course we have the benefit of replay") We were called for 21 fouls. They had 14. I don't find the numbers themselves mind boggling. And perhaps had one or two more gone our way we win. But we still had our chances and didn't make the plays at the end. Everyone wants to blame the refs. Nobody want to blame Kuran for fouling a 3 point shooter when the shot clock is running out. No one wants to blame Jarred for an ill advised pass in the last minute. I don't think the refs had anything to do with those plays. There are a lot of reasons URI lost and a few blown calls were certainly part of it, but they weren't the be all end all. So no, I'm not "above it all"...just prefer to take the high road (which is something I can certainly use work on :)
I know I am one that complains about the refs a lot. However, I do not think there is any kind of conspiracy against us or anybody else. I just think that, in general, college basketball officials are not very good at their job. Now it is certainly a very difficult job, and of course calls are going to be missed and that is to be expected at times. But there are games all the time where it is clear that certain refs just suck at what they do. There are also other games where it is clear there are refs that are very good. So it's frustrating when you find your team in a game where the refs aren't good at their job. Is it 100% the sole reason why we (or anybody) ever loses a game, no. But it can be a pretty big factor sometimes.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yea I was just thinking about how high that last shot was from EC over bell. I didn't know where it would go.

It makes you forget that EC had 2 three pointers go inside of the hoop, raddle around just to pop out. The commentator even said that the ball was in the hoop enough to get partial points.

Also seeing Iverson open under the basket I had dreams of a two point lead and that being the difference. I think I blacked out because I have no idea how the ball was deflected. I just saw that play as the highlight in a montage celebrating Rhode Island.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The EC charge and the Brooks no call on Garrett were the biggest ones.
To me the Garrett one was the most obvious. He was draped all over him and it was plain as day. Can't believe they didn't call that.
It would've been Brooks' fourth foul with under 10 minutes to play and would've been quite helpful for us.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Anybody who comes on here to disparage this team after their tremendous revival is the sort of person who heckles the eulogy at a funeral.

Congratulations, PMMM. You have won the A-hole of the Year Award. Please feel free to share this award with your family. I'm sure they will appreciate it.
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Stop crying about the refs. Bad calls happen. It goes both ways. Deal with it. Should've been block call on EC's drive. Well, EC forced the ref to make a bad call by making a bad decision to drive 1-on-2. Dumb play. Earlier in the year on this board some were putting out a "conspiracy theory" that the A-10 office and refs are against URI. Yet URI won the A-10 tourney. How did that happen? (I thought the A-10 wouldn't allow it?) Were people complaining about the refs vs. VCU. Oh only when URI loses.

Just like I expect the Pats to come thru in the clutch by making the plays and being smart down the stretch, I expect URI to do the opposite with 2 minutes left and up 4 points. Sure enough, brain cramps. Crapped it away.

Danny, at the moment, is not known for his great X's and O's. The last few minutes was not one shining moment for Danny.

Happy they played and beat depleted Creighton. Coulda, woulda, shoulda vs. Oregon. (said the same thing about loss vs. Stanford in '98)
Oh yeah, get a rebound off a missed FT...don't foul 3-point shooters...don't lob the ball inbounds near midcourt where it gets intercepted and leads to a dunk...don't throw the ball away in traffic on a designed play out of a timeout...and when down 3 points, don't stand around for 30 seconds, watching a guy go nowhere jacking up an unnecessary 3-pointer (go get a quick 2 points, and extend the game by fouling).

All that has nothing to do with the refs.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

PeteRI wrote:Anybody who comes on here to disparage this team after their tremendous revival is the sort of person who heckles the eulogy at a funeral.

Congratulations, PMMM. You have won the A-hole of the Year Award. Please feel free to share this award with your family. I'm sure they will appreciate it.
How did I "disparage the team?" Did I call somebody a name?

I love this board. People come on here and offer facts (Creighton wasn't depleted?) and then get criticized. Yet people come on the board and spout off about an A-10 ref conspiracy or it would've been Joe Lunardi's fault had URI not made tournament and people should tweet nasty things at him? That's legitimate discourse?

I'm happy that URI won the 3-day A10 tournament. I'm on the record as not liking conference tournaments. I still don't like them, despite the fact it worked out in URI's favor this year. If I said I loved conference tournaments now, that would make me hypocritical, right?

Not sure what one has to do to pass the "I'm a legitimate URI fan" test. And who gives the test? If I tell you that I went to games in the late 1970's...went to games at Keaney Gym in the early 80's to watch lousy URI teams with the likes of Tony Tucker, Roland Fiore, Ric Blevins before he transferred to Kent St....went to basketball camps at URI...is that enough?

I mean seriously guys, what's the criteria? I was hoping that they'd beat Oregon but they didn't. The reason they didn't had nothing to do with the effort, intensity, and heart of this team. That is not questioned. And it had nothing to do with the refs stealing it. The reason for losing to the Ducks is that they simply didn't execute nor play well enough late...nor did Danny x-and-o well enough late.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

You realize there is 1 of you on every message board. You are not unique, you are spectacularly common in the worst way possible.
11 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

For all of you who think the officiating had no effect on the game, or wasn't the prime reason we lost that game, GFY. I've been following this team since I was a junior in HS in 1962, and have seen a lot of ups and downs, and a lot of games, and this is in the top 5 of the most poorly officiated PRIME games I've seen. You can call me a homer, but I don't think you can say the same about the announcers and national press.
5 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

RAM67 wrote:For all of you who think the officiating had no effect on the game, or wasn't the prime reason we lost that game, GFY. I've been following this team since I was a junior in HS in 1962, and have seen a lot of ups and downs, and a lot of games, and this is in the top 5 of the most poorly officiated PRIME games I've seen. You can call me a homer, but I don't think you can say the same about the announcers and national press.

While what you say about this game may absolutely be true, it is diluted by the fact that many on this board make the same complaint about every game URI loses. The ref cost us. The fix is in for the P5. If you look at posts prior to the Davidson game there were actually quotes that the fix would go our way so the A10 could get 3 teams to the dance. This is what happens when people cry wolf too much. I am devastated that we lost, but I'm not blaming the refs nor am I GFYing myself. I'm just not quite that talented.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

2 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Congratulations Moten! You finally got your wish. Oregon put a fork in your Rams, about five games later than you thought.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Haven't been able to post since after the game. Proud of the team really getting their act together after the Fordham loss and almost taking us to the Sweet 16. Incredible turn of events. The last month has been some great Rhody hoops. Hopefully this journey gives them the confidence and desire to continue the success next year. A10 Champions and a win in the tournament!!!!
4 x