Game #35: Oregon (NCAA Tournnment Rd of 32) - Sun March 19

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #35: Oregon (NCAA Tournnment Rd of 32) - Sun March 19

Unread post by reef »

I understand Hass had a bad game but you have to have him in the game for defense and rebounding at the end
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

It would not surprise me to find out the refs were in on it. Phil Knight has more money and influence than God.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PeteRI wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:Lots of horrible no calls and calls.
Brooks reached in on Garrett BIG TIME
Stan got that steal and they said he was out of bounds when he wasn't touching the ball.
Brooks pushed off constantly.

EC still a 0 on buzzer beaters.

That was ours and we choked it away. Too many dumb plays at the end.

Go Michigan.
Can't blame EC. He got us to the Dance.

Between the charge on EC and the phantom out of bounds call on Stan, we could have had this.

But we let them get too many rebounds and open 3s.
Not blaming EC.
Just saying he's still 0fer on buzzer beaters....
I'm just a sour puss right now though.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Oregon must be the most disciplined team in D1, 5 fouls in the half I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it. :roll:
What a shame, our guys deserved a fair shake and didn't get one. I'm not blaming the refs, we had our chances to put this one away.
Still, no shame in the way Rhody played tonight. I'm heart broken for the players, but I'm thrilled about this magical ride they took us on this last month.
Thank you Rhode Island Rams men's basketball team, coaches, players, everybody, just, thank you!
11 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

reef wrote:The key sequence when we up 4 they call timeout and we still come out with small lineup. We foul and DH doesn't bring in Hass in case of a miss free throw and sure enough they get the rebound off the miss and hit the 3 to tie it
You can't have Jared on the block expecting to rebound a miss FT against their bigs
Yup... I was screaming at the tv put in Hass put in Hass..what the hell was he thinking? I'm heartbroken.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I am sorry - we are allowed to "blame the refs" in a three point game where they are that putrid that TBS broadcasters are talking about it after the game.
4 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Look, I hate blaming the refs, but we got royally screwed by them
in this game.
21 fouls to 14, 8 FT attempts to 27! Are you kidding me?
Martin picked a fine time to have his worst game ever.
0 points, 0 rebounds.
If he did anything at all, we win.
Bell came up with so many key offensive rebounds.
He had 6, our entire team had 9.
Matthews, 4-14, 1-6 from 3.
His final shot was an air-ball. 3 second half points.
Dowtin had zero assists.
Robinson was unreal. Langevine was at his best, 9 and 9.
Terrell, 7-11, 6 assists, 4 steals.
Just a really tough game to lose, as all our NCAA losses have been,
except for UNC, over the years.
I guess the NCAA is forced to invite mid-majors,
but the refs seem to favor the big boys.
Sour grapes? You bet!
12 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Most of our kids left it all on the floor.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We didn't score a point the last 2+ minutes......that will get you beat every time.

Just like against Stanford, the bounces and the calls didn't go our way.

If the calls had been even, we would have won. Even with the mistakes that were made. Simple as that.

Wonder if Hassan was sick? That was a strange time to have a bad game. I mean really bad game.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I have a feeling we r going to find out hass was not 100%.. Sick hurt whatever.. He did not look right Still should have put him or Cyril in on FTS up 4.. Still think tonight was gravy but sure would have liked some more
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

rodfromcranston wrote:Look, I hate blaming the refs, but we got royally screwed by them
in this game.
21 fouls to 14, 8 FT attempts to 27! Are you kidding me?
Martin picked a fine time to have his worst game ever.
0 points, 0 rebounds.
If he did anything at all, we win.
Bell came up with so many key offensive rebounds.
He had 6, our entire team had 9.
Matthews, 4-14, 1-6 from 3.
His final shot was an air-ball. 3 second half points.
Dowtin had zero assists.
Robinson was unreal. Langevine was at his best, 9 and 9.
Terrell, 7-11, 6 assists, 4 steals.
Just a really tough game to lose, as all our NCAA losses have been,
except for UNC, over the years.
I guess the NCAA is forced to invite mid-majors,
but the refs seem to favor the big boys.
Sour grapes? You bet!
Felt the same way about Martin. Even the last hook shot he forced, wish he just passed the ball. They tried to force him and his offense back in the game. Then late they didn't get ready to rebound.

Tough pill to swallow this one.
Last edited by Seawrightspostgame 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

The no charge was bad. And Brooks got the Jordan/LeBron treatment all game. I mean the guy is going to be cashing large NBA checks one day but it was Dorsey that beat us. Kid hit some huge shots.

Honestly, it sucks BIG time but America got an education on Rhody hoops. I'm in San Antonio for a conference and 100% of the casual fans at the bar I was in were pulling for Rhody. People talking to me asking which players will be back next year. Obviously they were all impressed with Stan but also Terrell. This was a huge year for the program that we should always look back on fondly. I think we all knew we'd eventually have our hearts broken but this team deserved a deeper run. Plus I think we would've handled Michigan.

We had our chances, despite the 4-point sequence and the charge call, the Terrell turnover was crushing. So was some of the empty Hass trips.

Bottom line this team played their ass off and I'm proud to be a Rhody alum.

Now EC, don't do anything stupid like leave.
11 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We get another good big from the transfer, JC, or grad route and we could very well be back next year......
2 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

Refs sucked, yes. Hass was out of it, yes. Bad bounces that got them a big three near the end as ALWAYS, yes. But to be ahead and playing with such confidence the whole game and lose at the end this way? Tough. Would rather have won this and got crushed by 30 next game. (I say that now ha)
Last edited by RhodeIslandRams 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

So sick of all the Duck-gloating on Oregon Live that I registered and posted this:

Enjoy the win, but don't break your arm patting yourself on the back. The blown call on EC Matthew's charge and Stan Robinson's phantom out of bounds call are just two of the egregious calls the refs made. The officiating was so bad the announcers on the TBS postgame show called them on it. 8 trips to the foul line vs. 27? That was the game right there.

Feel free to register and post here:

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... l#comments
1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Bogus foul calls when URI on defense and few foul calls when URI on offense. Akele stuffed...Brooks(or Ennis...one of the two). He palmed the ball and a foul was called. Akele got called for a second foul on the opposite side of the basket with hands straight up in the air AND his right hand, where the ball handler forced contact, was on the ball again.
EC with an ill-advised charge. It was him and two ducks. Hero-ball is not how to win a game.

In the end, I have to give Oregon credit for making that 3pt shot, but they really had NO business even being in the game at the end if the guys in stripes weren't kissing some serious duck ass. The PAC-10 is overrated and soft for what is considered to be a bigger conference talent/power-wise. I hope the duck fans see this too. It's the truth and their team is going to be annihilated in their next game. It won't even be close.

In all honesty, these guys performed down the stretch and really fought hard to the end. Stan-the-man was on fire and I give these guys a TON of credit for taking the fight to their opponents towards the very end of the season. Iverson, Terrel, Stan, and Dowtin showed they have ice in their viens and balls of steel. I'm excited to see what this year's freshman have to offer as sophomores next year. This squad will still be dangerous.
Last edited by The Dude 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
3 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Consolation? We apparently have a few good players for next year!

EC IS staying, right? If he becomes an outside and last second threat it could be crazy. His 'head' will be 100% next year I'd guess.
Last edited by RhodeIslandRams 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Brian568787
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Brian568787 »

Are we still calling guys out now? After that run they had over the last 9 games and playing Oregon down to the last few minutes in a second round game? I get being upset about below-average performances out of EC and Hass but to put that loss on them is crazy. This team played out of its mind for the past few weeks and left everything on the floor. If you can not be proud of this team now, I am not sure you ever will be. I am looking forward to this team being here again next year.

-Go Rhody
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rambone 78 wrote:We get another good big from the transfer, JC, or grad route and we could very well be back next year......
We need another big to balance the roster but I would not be surprised if we get a decent performance from some of the bigs that are already on the roster. We are loaded at the guard position.
1 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Def should be back next year. just need somebody to step up or a grad transfer to replace martin. I really feel like Langevine will be a good a10 big... His offense was much better late in the year and I think it was really just confidence.

I feel like a dick for saying this and I know people on here love Kuran but I don't see him as much of a loss. His awful 3 point shooting and boneheaded plays will not be missed.
2 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

One thing you can always bet on....NO ONE misses key shots against us in the tournament.
2 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Did no one else notice the Oregon player touched the ball out of bounds with a few seconds left? It should have been reviewed even if our chances were pretty slim.
2 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

ramfan85 wrote:One thing you can always bet on....NO ONE misses key shots against us in the tournament.

People don't like when I point this out, but c'mon. This time they kicked it out for a three and it missed, and I yelled 'wow they actually missed a key 3-pointer'..and they grabbed the board, kicked it out again and SWISH.

Also, the nice three they hit with 38 seconds left. Is that really the shot you take in that spot? I was happy he shot it until it went in, I expected them to work the ball around.....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

88, Cyril has shown recently that he will be damn good these next few years.

But he will need help inside. We will be strong in conference due to the A10 not having many good big men, but as we see in the NCAAT, you need a few good bigs to counter some of the teams we would play.

Of course if Hassan was himself tonight and at least rebounded anywhere near like he usually does, we win. When we needed him the most, he just wasn't with it for some reason. Terrible timing.
2 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I hate going the ref route as well, but if we switched jerseys with your average P5 team that would have been a comfortable win for us, no?
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Watch the replay of the final Matthews' shot.
He had Terrell to his right, all alone.
Instead, he tossed up an air-ball.
As for Iverson, we would not have been anywhere close to the NCAAs without him.
He was our best rebounder, and at the latter part of the season,
our best shot blocker.
The good outweighed the bad.
Akele tonight, had the same amount of points and rebounds as I did.
Hassan only played 14 minutes. He had 3 fouls.
If he wasn't ill, he should have played more down the stretch.
All those offensive rebounds by Oregon were killers.
2 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Hurley said during the post game press conference that Hassan was playing with a knee injury which affected his play tonight.
Last edited by RhodyRams12 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Common sense is not common.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rod, as usual you're spot on. Ordinarily Hass would have stopped many of those uncontested drives. That more than anything cost us the game.
2 x
Rhodygirl2
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodygirl2 »

Still sitting in the seats here in Sacramento stewing over what could have been but so proud of our guys and our fans. Very excited for next year.

Hass didn't seem like himself and we had a few sparks from KI but not enough. Doesn't diminish the fact that down the stretch they put it all out there and we will miss them.

I can not believe what punks Oregon were, thought we'd see a fight out there. Not only taunting our players but our fans a few times as well. Glad it didn't come to that.

The way we were playing at the end of the season we would have had a chance to beat any team on any given day. That's about all you can ask for.

Let's do it again next year - as much as it hurts right now - this was a fun ride!
6 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Refs handed the game to Oregon.

Hurley mismanaged the second half a bit. He coached every pass and movement in the first 10 minutes of the second half.

Martin gave one of his patented no shows. I thought he put them behind him a month ago.

Great year. Sour ending.
When we had an 11 point lead? Hurley coached a great game. If we rebounded off 2 misses we win. They got a 3 and that was the difference.

There is nothing but pride coming from me. We stole some shine back from PC. We have 2 banners going up in the Ryan Center. We have a team to be proud of again.

Can't wait to see how far we to next year.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I have always wondered why we always seem to get the shaft from the refs in close NCAA games.

It's actually easy.....the powers that be want the P5's and their ilk to win. Mid majors are always going to get fucked when push comes to shove.

Unfortunately we're a mid major, and always will be. It's just that much harder to win games in the dance because of that.

Rod, there's the reason we lost. That sucked for us, and for Hassan. His last game, and that had to happen.

With him at 100% or close to it, Oregon doesn't get some of those boards, and we win.
1 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Bone, if you look at all of the obvious bad calls in the tourney, and then look at whether the calls went against the higher seeds or the lower seeds, it seems clear :)

Having said that, I think after a few bad breaks with a minute left, the pressure started getting to our guys. EC seemed afraid to shoot at the end, then took forever to shoot a bad shot. But look at Stan and the play we've been getting from unlikely sources. Great team to root for!!
1 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

So proud of our team.... it hurts so bad being so close to the sweet 16 but the goals were accomplished for this team. I could taste the W. We will all recover and have the RC rockin next year! Love being a Rhody fan! Thank you Rams!!!
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Post game press conference.

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Cmon Rod Iverson made some good blocks and grabbed some good rebounds but Martin and often langevine when he played were better at it.

Iverson had a whopping 16 rebounds over the past 4 games.

Martin had 19 more despite not grabbing a single rebound vs Oregon

Langevine grabbed 30 despite playing way less time than Iverson..
Last edited by EGram 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

When you outscore a team 66-57 from the field, you should probably win. Even if one team is more aggressive offensively, 27 free throws compared to 8 free throws is ridiculous. Yet, even with the one-sided calls, we still should have won.
3 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It seems our fate so far, to lose heartbreakers in NCAAs.
1978-John Nelson, a fine shooter, misses two point blank layups and Duke wins by 1.
1988 - Danny Ferry is allowed to run roughshod over Kenny Green and Bonzie Colson. URI loses to Duke by 1.
1997-URI ahead by 3 points, when ARD fails to come out to guard Brian Cardinal, who hits a 3. Rams lose in OT to Purdue.
1998-Stanford. Nuff said.
1999-URI loses to UNCC in overtime.
Now this killer loss today.....

EGran, don't recall Martin or Langevine or anyone since Art Stephanson getting 23 rebounds in a game.
Hassan averaged 7.1 rpg, Iverson 7.6 rpg.
In A-10 play, Martin averages 6.6 rpg, Iverson 8.8 rpg.
Hassan 2.1 blocks per game, Iverson 1.8 blocks per games.
The numbers don't lie.
4 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Tough, tough loss. This one will sting for a bit. Incredibly proud of this team and program for what it ultimately accomplished, especially after how bleak things looked only a short month ago. Pretty much all of my thougts and feelings have been stated already, but damn if the officiating wasn't total horsesh*t. On the flip side, it doesn't help when you can't grab a board up 4 pts at a crucial moment, more than once, which leads to a tie game. Terrell, balsy ass pass at a critical moment, ouch. But you also hit some solid jumpers down the stretch. Hurley, I get that EC is THE guy at the end of games, but he wasn't the one with the hot hand tonight. Stan was, he was literally unstoppable in the first half, why did he sit for that stretch in the second half? And why wasn't he the one with the ball in his hands at the end? But damn, you coached your ass off the last month and put together one hell of a run. And we're now back on the map, and the future looks bright. Hass, man do I hurt for you having to go out like that. You deserved better, such a shame. I think he needed to see the floor earlier than he did. Never got a chance to get in a rhythm. I guess we'll find out if something was going on with him. EC, air ball on the game tying attempt? Ouch. But you also dropped some tough shots tonight. So many questions, frustrations, head scratchers...but also so much pride in this team, so glad to have gotten to experience this run, so excited for the future. Wish Hass and Kuran much success in their futures and thank them so much for helping to make this a special year.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Iverson was not a banger....more of a 3 than a 4.......he was asked to do more inside than he normally would have.

Tall and thin, it's really not his game.

Hass and Cyril are big bodies who can rebound big time.....and they did....unfortunately Hassan's knee injury cost him and us big time tonight.

Billyboy.....Hassan's problem lead to Dan's trying to protect the lead...and going small at the end because of that, meant we couldn't get any defensive rebounds which killed us.

That and the refs calling everything on us, and nothing on them in the 2nd half. Like we were playing in Hawk Hill.

And when the game got close at the end, we gave the refs a chance to steal it from us...and they did.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Blue Man wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Refs handed the game to Oregon.

Hurley mismanaged the second half a bit. He coached every pass and movement in the first 10 minutes of the second half.

Martin gave one of his patented no shows. I thought he put them behind him a month ago.

Great year. Sour ending.
When we had an 11 point lead? Hurley coached a great game. If we rebounded off 2 misses we win. They got a 3 and that was the difference.

There is nothing but pride coming from me. We stole some shine back from PC. We have 2 banners going up in the Ryan Center. We have a team to be proud of again.

Can't wait to see how far we to next year.
I get it. They just made a major run and won the A10 title. Im somebody that values the regular season title and the tournament title as much as NCAA tourney success. So great job getting the A10 hardware.

But obviously we dont get many chances like we had today. 11 point lead. 3 point loss with chances to win.

Sweet Sixteen on the line against a team in Michigan that isn't going to roll out multiple 1st rounders. Athletically we literally had a path all the way to the elite 8 before we would see the kind of talent that is just beyond us(Kansas).

I'm excited about next year. Will renew tickets and proud of the run. But I do think URI should have won the game even with the refs calling the game the way that they called it.
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I am 100% convinced that if Hassan was healthy, we would have been ahead by enough that the refs wouldn't have been able to screw us over.

Bad luck bites us in the ass at the worst possible time.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Apparently Hass was very injured.
Wow.
At least by the way Dan was talking about it.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Wonder when it happened? Against Creighton? Or in practice yesterday?

Again, cost us the game, although we still should have won it.

It was a sign when Dan took him out early with only 1 foul. And at the end when he would have been out there when Oregon was shooting those FT's.
1 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Was anyone else hoping JT took a shot instead of passing there? To me, that was the game. The ball with a tie game under a minute and we gave it away.

College hoops is suuuuuuuch a grind. There are so many twists and turns. It's both exhilarating and infuriating. History will look back kindly on this season for Rhody. IMO it's a program building type season. Saying the we can become the Gonzaga of the northeast still seems too lofty for now, but in the short term becoming a San Diego State circa 2010-2015 type team is completely realistic.

Get in the dance and see what happens.
5 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

rambone 78 wrote:Wonder when it happened? Against Creighton? Or in practice yesterday?

Again, cost us the game, although we still should have won it.

It was a sign when Dan took him out early with only 1 foul. And at the end when he would have been out there when Oregon was shooting those FT's.
sounds like his knee has been bothering him since the A10 tourney, with treatment he was good to play but with no recovery time he really couldn't do much
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

One of my pet peeves with URI has always been not getting defensive rebounds off of free throw misses. This has always killed URI and today it probably cost us a chance at the Sweet 16

I can understand Hass was injured but you should have Cyril on the low block with KI not Jared. Just do frustrating as if we can grab a damn rebound maybe we would have won

It's not every day around here that we play for a chance at a sweet 16
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ATPTourFan wrote:Post game press conference.

Dan handled himself like the pro he is. Had some wonderful, heartfelt compliments about Hass and Kuran, as well as the rest of the team and the program. Jared was really the only player who talked, and he was composed and articulate, especially given the circumstances.

Thanks to everyone for an incredible year. And thanks to all you knuckleheads for rekindling my passion for college hoops.
3 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Great weekend in Sac- I'll post more thoughts later, but I will say that Oregon fans were great and even made sure to find me on my way out and say they thought we got hosed by the refs.

Stanford and JT were great today. Cyril was a man in the first half. Our freshmen are promising.

Thanks for the memories, Rhody!
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

reef, yeah Cyril should have been out there.....that was a mistake by Dan.

But you know it's all about the bounces.....they didn't go our way, they almost never do in these types of games in the NCAAT.

If we keep the lead there then Oregon could have been forced to foul and then who knows what happens?

And if even the other team's fans are saying we got jobbed by the refs, then you know it was bad.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i am still saddened.. the thing is when we get to the level of being relevant.. the losses hurt even more

we played extremely well.. just had 2 close calls go against us, and Oregon getting the rebounds in that sequence

our team played very well and represented URI very well

i thank them for that, but also saddened as i thought we played good enough to win

going to take awhile to get over this loss.
2 x