NCAA Tournament - General Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NCAA Tournament - General Discussion

Unread post by TruePoint »

On the eve of the tournament and with PC involved in the play-in game tonight, figured we could have a spot for general tournament discussion. So have at it.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: NCAA Tournament - General Discussion

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Go USC....that's all.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

So. Many. Commercials.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

I can see why USC is intriguing with their length and athleticism, but wow they play some bad basketball. A bunch of misses around the rim early and now they've taken to launching up bad 3's against PC's zone.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PC started to put on a clinic at the end there.
Great ball movement.

USC is not looking sharp.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Pac12 is overrated. Hopefully we'll get a chance to prove that
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Blue Man wrote:Pac12 is overrated. Hopefully we'll get a chance to prove that
I know a coach who can help with that scout, if it comes to that.
2 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

ace wrote:
Blue Man wrote:Pac12 is overrated. Hopefully we'll get a chance to prove that
I know a coach who can help with that scout, if it comes to that.
So in true Rhode Island fashion...."you know a guy." haha. :-P
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PC looked really good in that first half
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Here come the USC Trojans
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

Meltdown in the second half. USC has come back to lead with 5:51 left
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

2 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

Man. Clock management. If you are going to foul.. foul when you cross midcourt
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

7th largest comeback in NCAA history. Buh bye fryizz
2 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

There can be only one...highlander!
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Well, PC overachieved this year and return everyone next year. Nothing to be ashamed of. Now we have the stage to ourselves. Let's take advantage.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Bye PC.
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We haven't won a game yet in this years tourney so I'm not going to crap on PC (yet) but wow Matt Ryan.
2 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The Friyaz had no counnahpunch

Good season for them.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:We haven't won a game yet in this years tourney so I'm not going to crap on PC (yet) but wow Matt Ryan.
We made it further than them / put them in a play in game by winning the A10.

I'll take it.
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Go Rhody
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Rhody15 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:We haven't won a game yet in this years tourney so I'm not going to crap on PC (yet) but wow Matt Ryan.
We made it further than them / put them in a play in game by winning the A10.

I'll take it.
Not the goal as far as I'm concerned, I hate the fryizz, but we need to take care of business on Friday. We can't get small time over here, the first four is still in the tourney.
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

USC made their comeback by going with three guys
up front, 6'11",6'11", and 6'10".
That's where the game is going, outside the A-10.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Pc made some terrible decisions down the stretch. Cartwright doing his best Mike Powell impersonation a lot in the 2nd half.

For a team picked 9th in the big east...not bad to get to your 4th tourney in a row. They don't lose anyone and reload with a good class next year.

Congrats to them, awful collapse at the end but an overachievement of a season all the same.

TP said it though...we have every opportunity to take top billing now, let's seize it.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Friars looked like a sweet 16 team in the first half

You got to play 40 minutes however nice comeback Trojans
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

rodfromcranston wrote:USC made their comeback by going with three guys
up front, 6'11",6'11", and 6'10".
That's where the game is going, outside the A-10.
Yea bigs are making a comeback in basketball, chuck up as many threes as you want, I'll take a and 1 layup every time. Pc went cold and USC went inside, game set match.
3 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

See ya...
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I dozed off on the couch with Providence up by 10. I woke up with them down 3. I'm not sure what happened, but it was looking like it was going to be a blow out at halftime. Of course, you're going to want to win, so it's probably little solace to Friar fans, but this was a good season for a young team like them to get to the show. Probably Cooley's best season coaching them. They lose no one from this team. They'll be back.

Now it's our turn. Take care of business tomorrow against Creighton!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

TruePoint wrote:Well, PC overachieved this year and return everyone next year. Nothing to be ashamed of. Now we have the stage to ourselves. Let's take advantage.
Ashamed, maybe not, but gagging away a 17 point lead in the 2nd half of an NCAA tournament game is a tough pill to swallow, not the way I'd want my team to head into the off season. PC got some unfortunate whistles, but I was not impressed with how Cooley managed his team in the 2nd half. They will be tough next year for sure, they desperately need a perimeter shooter and another big, Holt was impressive.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Pee-C-ing ya . . .
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Friars loss means that a crazy scene across RI, especially in the bars, will now not occur. Imagine what it would have been like to have both PC and URI tipping off within 90 minutes of each other on an NCAA Tournament Friday afternoon which also happened to be St Patricks Day.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

I'd like to know how many URI alums also pull for PC?

I'm wondering if me having no love (AT ALL - it's actually dislike) for PC is common or not for URI alum?
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Keatgsr07 wrote:I'd like to know how many URI alums also pull for PC?

I'm wondering if me having no love (AT ALL - it's actually dislike) for PC is common or not for URI alum?
pure hatred from this URI alum. they can go 0-30 every year from here to eternity.

99% of the fan base is wanna be goombas who dont know their ass from their elbow and only root for them because its part of the requirement of being an eye-talian in Prawvuhdence. I'm willing to bet they dont know where the campus even is.
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Paleoguy »

I went to URI for both undergraduate and graduate school. Beginning in 1965. But, my dad went to PC when he got back from the Pacific Theater of WWII, and he and my mom had season tickets, beginning in the old Alumni Hall days. So I grew up in a household where we listened to Chris Clark call the games on the radio. I grew up in a PC household, and as a PC fan. In my freshman year at Rhody, me and my friends went to the Holiday Festival at MSG, the day after Xmas, and cheered as Jimmy Walker scored 50 points on BC.

I have a great deal of pride in my home, Rhode Island. Everything about it, except for our piss poor roads, lol. Years ago, when the NY Times described RI as "a blur on the road to Cape Cod", it pissed me off. I cheer whenever any of our teams make noise nationally. Because it's a matter of pride to me as a Rhode Islander. So I do pull for both PC and URI to do just that in college basketball. If Rhody makes it to the Sweet 16 this year, no matter what happens at that point, we will be in the Top 25 when the final rankings are released. Which will make me very proud. I admit, it's always been about state pride to me, and both schools have provided that over the years.

Now, half my family lived in the Providence area, and half in South County. And believe me, the equanimity I feel toward both schools was not shared throughout my family. It has been very interesting for me to see first hand the division in this state between metro Providence and South County. I've lived the divisiveness in my own family. Considering we are the tiniest state in the union, it is quite a unique history, this URI-PC rivalry for the affection of Rhode Islanders.....
Last edited by Paleoguy 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:

pure hatred from this URI alum. they can go 0-30 every year from here to eternity.

99% of the fan base is wanna be goombas who dont know their ass from their elbow and only root for them because its part of the requirement of being an eye-talian in Prawvuhdence. I'm willing to bet they dont know where the campus even is.

Yes. You hit the nail on the head. My Facebook news feed this morning was FILLED with disgruntled PC fans (none of whom are alums). They all fit the profile you mention above. Friiyizz. Gotta go have some dinnuh at Twin Oaks.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ever since I was a student sitting on a bus sitting outside of the Civic Center with fans of PC throwing rocks at our bus and trying to tip the bus over, and our bus driver refusing to let us get off the bus and defend ourselves, it's been pure hatred. That's something I'll never forget. Yeah, I know, kids being stupid, but the hate was intense on both sides. The rivalry was brutal in those days...fights on the court, fights in the stands, fights outside the arena. That was in '75 or '76. And then there was all the bullshit with Dave Gavitt, who tried his best to ruin our program. That just added to it. I don't root for them ever and I don't care if a PC win somehow benefits us. I hate everything about that team and that school.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

My family and I are from Providence/North Providence so I "could" have been be a PC fan. Luckily my parents, brother and sister and myself are all Rhody Alum so I grew up a Rams fan. There's constant URI PC arguments and battles within my extended family and friends but I wouldn't have it any other way. Also, Twin Oaks is a gem!
1 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Before I came to URI I think I was like many RIers who wanted both teams to make the tournament every year.

Things have changed since coming to URI and especially going to road games at the Dunk. I still try to cheer for them for RPI purposes and just as a general it's good for RI if both teams are good thing, but their fan base makes it so difficult.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I gotta be honest, I only hate them when the play URI. I have always thought it would be great for the state to have 2 top 75 teams in the mix for the dance every year. At least PC has held up their part of the bargain. Hopefully we're entering a new era. Having a vibrant rivalry with 2 good teams generates a lot more buzz and helps everything with both programs.

I obviously wasn't around for the 70s so I come from a different place.

Yes they have a ton of shit head fans, most of which didn't even go to the school. We have plenty of problems with our own fan base so I won't cast stones at them. I've had far more issues with UMass fans than anyone else. Dayton had the biggest dickhead fan I've ever met sitting in front of me at the Ryan Center as well.

I don't have a problem with what Dave Gavitt did, instead I wish URI had a visionary like him who would have put our interests first. Again, I wasn't there to witness it first hand so I'm sure Rod and everyone with 70-something in their name will aggressively disagree, which is totally fine. I'm sure I'd have a different perspective having seen the ECAC days.

I pulled for them last night. Awful collapse, I wish they'd have stop relying on outside shots once they cooled off. Cooley really seems to struggle in tourney games, but at least he got his team there 4 consecutive years, this one, most impressively, in a rebuilding year.

I also don't want the bad juju rooting against a local team, and hopefully their fans get behind us now.
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

"99% of the fan base is wanna be goombas who dont know their ass from their elbow and only root for them because its part of the requirement of being an eye-talian in Prawvuhdence."
This is offensive to me, and others, who are Italian and have roots on Federal Hill.
Goombas is a word used by morons who don't know the word is compare (companion).
This board should be free of racially ignorant comments like this.
Some of our best boosters are Italian and have roots in Providence.

---
6 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:

I gotta be honest, I only hate them when the play URI. I have always thought it would be great for the state to have 2 top 75 teams in the mix for the dance every year. At least PC has held up their part of the bargain. Hopefully we're entering a new era. Having a vibrant rivalry with 2 good teams generates a lot more buzz and helps everything with both programs.

I obviously wasn't around for the 70s so I come from a different place.

Yes they have a ton of shit head fans, most of which didn't even go to the school. We have plenty of problems with our own fan base so I won't cast stones at them. I've had far more issues with UMass fans than anyone else. Dayton had the biggest dickhead fan I've ever met sitting in front of me at the Ryan Center as well.

I don't have a problem with what Dave Gavitt did, instead I wish URI had a visionary like him who would have put our interests first. Again, I wasn't there to witness it first hand so I'm sure Rod and everyone with 70-something in their name will aggressively disagree, which is totally fine. I'm sure I'd have a different perspective having seen the ECAC days.

I pulled for them last night. Awful collapse, I wish they'd have stop relying on outside shots once they cooled off. Cooley really seems to struggle in tourney games, but at least he got his team there 4 consecutive years, this one, most impressively, in a rebuilding year.

I also don't want the bad juju rooting against a local team, and hopefully their fans get behind us now.
I wish I could let it go. Maybe someday.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I grew up watching Jimmy Walker and Chris Clark on TV. But then I went to URI, learned to hate Ernie D. And Marvin and never looked back. When my daughters were applying to college I only forbid one school from their lists.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:"99% of the fan base is wanna be goombas who dont know their ass from their elbow and only root for them because its part of the requirement of being an eye-talian in Prawvuhdence."
This is offensive to me, and others, who are Italian and have roots on Federal Hill.
Goombas is a word used by morons who don't know the word is compare (companion).

---
Thank you, Rod. I know what type of fan he was getting at, and that type of fan annoys me, too. But let's leave the ethnic slurs out of it. Not that it should even matter, but some of URI's best supporters are of Italian ancestry, and some of us even have family ties back to Federal Hill and Silver Lake and other historically Italian neighborhoods, which we are proud of - believe it or not. Bagging on fans for not knowing the sport, not having any connection to the school or team they have adopted, etc., is all fair game but let's leave the race, ethnicity, religion, etc. out of it.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

100% ginny with family in the old country.

The words never bother me, but again, I'm from a different time.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

TruePoint wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:"99% of the fan base is wanna be goombas who dont know their ass from their elbow and only root for them because its part of the requirement of being an eye-talian in Prawvuhdence."

---
Thank you, Rod. I know what type of fan he was getting at, and that type of fan annoys me, too. But let's leave the ethnic slurs out of it. Not that it should even matter, but some of URI's best supporters are of Italian ancestry, and some of us even have family ties back to Federal Hill and Silver Lake and other historically Italian neighborhoods, which we are proud of - believe it or not. Bagging on fans for not knowing the sport, not having any connection to the school or team they have adopted, etc., is all fair game but let's leave the race, ethnicity, religion, etc. out of it.
re-read what i said. i didnt call anyone any type of slur. by and large, the type of PC fan i was referring to is that. they like to give the impression of 'i know a guy'. I grew up and still live 5min from downtown in EP, i dont need the Providence/RI history lesson.

We all know the type of fan i was describing, and describing those fans has ZERO to do with anyone who doesnt fit the description.

Same way that as a Quebecois by heritage I couldn't give 2 sh*ts about someone making a hockey playing, maple syrup chugging, 'sorry' saying Canadian stereotype.

they're just words
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

OK, we are getting off-topic here. Just going forward, be more descriptive and rely less on words like "goomba" to make your point.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

TruePoint beat me to it, but if we made SOME EFFORT to stick to the topic of the NCAA Tournament games -- not fanbases, experiences in Providence 40 years ago, etc etc -- nobody would have been insulted and I wouldn't have had to just read through this crap.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:TruePoint beat me to it, but if we made SOME EFFORT to stick to the topic of the NCAA Tournament games -- not fanbases, experiences in Providence 40 years ago, etc etc -- nobody would have been insulted and I wouldn't have had to just read through this crap.
Sorry about my story from 40 years ago. Just block me and you won't have to read any of my 'crap'.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We used to have a Providence College Thread for subjects like this. Helps to keep threads on track.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Not the point, Billy. You guys are a cantankerous bunch.

I need Notre Dame to put this game away sooner rather than later or my bracket on The Dude's ESPN pool is over before it starts.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:TruePoint beat me to it, but if we made SOME EFFORT to stick to the topic of the NCAA Tournament games -- not fanbases, experiences in Providence 40 years ago, etc etc -- nobody would have been insulted and I wouldn't have had to just read through this crap.
Sorry about my story from 40 years ago. Just block me and you won't have to read any of my 'crap'.
Chill out. Crap was the off-topic mess that always reverts back to how everyone hates PC and why, no matter what thread we're in. Also, the crap included comments that some found offensive and would have been totally avoided if people had some self-control.
2 x