WATCH PARTY IN NEWPORT WITH MASTA ACE!!!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Puck Frovidence
ARD

WATCH PARTY IN NEWPORT WITH MASTA ACE!!!

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

So... I know there's already a watch party thread, but thought this topic/post might deserve it's own thread.

Hip-hop fans on the forum may be familiar with Masta Ace. He is an underground legend and was a big influence on Eminem. Dude most recently headlined a tour in Europe. He's got a huge following and is responsible for such classics as:

He also happens to be a 1988 graduate of the University of Rhode Island, and a big fan of URI basketball (and strangely, even football! lol)!

So....he's got a show in Newport on Friday and he was tweeting about URI on Sunday during the game, so I jokingly/not jokingly asked where we were watching the game on Friday. He surprisingly tweeted back, and somebody from WRIU (where he was a DJ at URI) saw it and ran with it. Now they've set up a watch party at
Jimmy's Saloon, 37 Memorial Blvd, Newport, RI 02840 at 4 PM

Entrance is free, there's cash bar obviously and I believe food too. I called and the game will be on multi screens with full sound. The concert is later at 9PM and you can buy tickets in advance or at the door if you want to stick around. This should be a great time for the slightly younger skewing KB posters such as my good self - or OGs who love Rhody and hip-hop!
5 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Re: WATCH PARTY IN NEWPORT WITH MASTA ACE!!!

Unread post by Obadiah »

Cool!
0 x
drabez
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by drabez »

Very cool! Stumbled upon this a few months ago:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ball-teams

21. Rhode Island Rams: Masta Ace

Duval Clear, aka "Masta Ace," is a hip-hop pioneer who dropped critical lyrics on the Juice Crew's 1988 hit "The Symphony," one of the greatest hip-hop songs of all time. "A jam strong enough that it can lift your soul/I'm the originator, and my rhymes are made of gold." The Rhode Island graduate influenced other emcees with his delivery. Eminem said, "When I heard Masta Ace, like every time I would listen to him, he would make me wanna rap." -- Medcalf
2 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

"I got a sound I want the whole world to listen to."

This is great. I can't make it but I'll have "Take a Look Around" playing pre-game.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Jimmy's Saloon. The gem of Newport.
2 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Went to school with Ace. A true poet !!!!
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Hope to see some of you guys there today, but good luck wherever you are! GO RHODY!
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Found this on Twitter:

Hell of a show, great time
0 x