What Are Your Gameday Routines?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
mstyles22
Kenny Green

What Are Your Gameday Routines?

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Some people might say, "Huh? I just watch." And that's fine. But since many of us are spread around the county, I'm just interested to hear how everyone cheers on the Rams. Those who attend games and especially the superstitious natives like me, haha.

In addition to being on the west coast I'm also a "cord-cutter", so watching the games on TV isn't always easy. But I do have Sling TV via my Roku and am able to watch all NBCSN games. And I take full advantage of the Internet for streaming capabilities.

As for the game day itself, I will bust my ass all day to make sure all of my work is done by 4:00 PM PST for weekday games. I work from home, so as far as my wife knows I'm still "sending emails" while listening to Steve and Don call the game and watching a stream.

For big games and for weekend games, my 16-month old daughter Rosalie has been good luck for the Rams this year. She'll quietly sit on my lap and watch at least 20 minutes before she gets restless. I went on a work trip during the Dayton/Fordham losses and immediately blamed myself for not FaceTiming with her during the game, haha.

Interesting to note: Her birthday is 11/13/15. I still remember laying in the hospital cot, my newborn sleeping with my wife in the bed and me getting some quiet time to watch Rhody open up a much anticipated season. We all know what happened 10 minutes later...

Anyway, every halftime I post my observations on here if I can. Then post-game it's either a celebratory or despondent walk with the dog, who couldn't care less.

On Friday, my friends, family, boss, co-workers, pregnant wife, everyone knows where I'll be with Rosalie (and her URI onsie and blanket) at 11:30 AM PST. On the couch, Dad in his EC Matthews jersey and an ice cold Narragansett Autocrat coffee milk stout (shipped by a good buddy). TV muted with Steve and Don on the call.

Go Rhody!
Last edited by mstyles22 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Re: What Are Your Gameday Routines?

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

lets see...for big games its have no appetite, have nerves like im getting results of a cancer screening, and wear the same jeans and faded/torn rhody shirt
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I have a sweater that has grown to be part of a superstition so I'll be wearing that with a 20oz coors light.
0 x
GO RAMS
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

I could use some of the zen that your post is written with. I'm usually a ball of nerves on the big games, Friday I'll be useless.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I used to have routines...sit in the same place, don't talk about certain things or outcomes, etc...until the Sox won in '04...that's when I suddenly realized...I had no impact on the outcome whatsoever. Although... rudder, 104 and I made sure we wore the same stuff and sat in the same seats all 3 days in Pittsburgh... The only real preparation superstition I have now is to make sure the fridge is stocked with my favorite cold ones...but that's pretty much an 'every day' superstition, not necessarily specific to Rhody hoops... :lol:
3 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I wear one of my 3 million Rhody gear hoodies.
My daughter thinks I'm nuts because I yell at the TV
during games. "Dad, they can't hear you. You realize that, right?"
(I am nuts, but not because of that)
Hell, Elvis used to shoot his TVs. I wanted to do that a
few times this year.
4 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I'm extremely superstitious. I've resorted to the same kind of gummy worms before games and in crunch time, as our coach is big on eating m&m's before big games I figured I'd do my part with the candy angle.

Also my living room coach has become sacred and i will not watch any games anywhere else (unless we wind up at a closer tourney site), but I've justified that in my head with the idea I'll be wearing the same clothes and bringing the gummy worms.

Most importantly though - Hass jersey has been big down the stretch. I make sure to have the same pair of boxers clean for game day. Same socks. Same Keaney Blue shoes. Same jeans.

I think I get very OCD too. I try to retrace steps, if I blink once I blink twice. If I was standing when something good happens ill stay, if something bad happens i sit and stand again to reset it. I'm a literal mess.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

mstyles22 wrote:Some people might say, "Huh? I just watch." And that's fine. But since many of us are spread around the county, I'm just interested to hear how everyone cheers on the Rams. Those who attend games and especially the superstitious natives like me, haha.

In addition to being on the west coast I'm also a "cord-cutter", so watching the games on TV isn't always easy. But I do have Sling TV via my Roku and am able to watch all NBCSN games. And I take full advantage of the Internet for streaming capabilities.

As for the game day itself, I will bust my ass all day to make sure all of my work is done by 4:00 PM PST for weekday games. I work from home, so as far as my wife knows I'm still "sending emails" while listening to Steve and Don call the game and watching a stream.

For big games and for weekend games, my 16-month old daughter Rosalie has been good luck for the Rams this year. She'll quietly sit on my lap and watch at least 20 minutes before she gets restless. I went on a work trip during the Dayton/Fordham losses and immediately blamed myself for not FaceTiming with her during the game, haha.

Interesting to note: Her birthday is 11/13/15. I still remember laying in the hospital cot, my newborn sleeping with my wife in the bed and me getting some quiet time to watch Rhody open up a much anticipated season. We all know what happened 10 minutes later...

Anyway, every halftime I post my observations on here if I can. Then post-game it's either a celebratory or despondent walk with the dog, who couldn't care less.

On Friday, my friends, family, boss, co-workers, pregnant wife, everyone knows where I'll be with Rosalie (and her URI onsie and blanket) at 11:30 AM PST. On the couch, Dad in his EC Matthews jersey and an ice cold Narragansett Autocrat coffee milk stout (shipped by a good buddy). TV muted with Steve and Don on the call.

Go Rhody!
Congrats! Your daughter is one month and 4 days older than mine. I remember bringing my laptop to the hospital just so I could watch Rhody play Iona game while my wife and new born slept.

I don't really have a ritual. I used to only wear one of the same two shirts, but luck ran out with Fordham and I was in Cancun for the A10 Q final wearing my previously "unlucky" # 12 dark blue jersey, so all bets are off now. I essentially pace like a madmen around my house if I'm home for a big game.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I used to have routines...sit in the same place, don't talk about certain things or outcomes, etc...until the Sox won in '04...that's when I suddenly realized...I had no impact on the outcome whatsoever. Although... rudder, 104 and I made sure we wore the same stuff and sat in the same seats all 3 days in Pittsburgh... The only real preparation superstition I have now is to make sure the fridge is stocked with my favorite cold ones...but that's pretty much an 'every day' superstition, not necessarily specific to Rhody hoops... :lol:

"The only real preparation superstition I have now is to make sure the fridge is stocked with my favorite cold ones"

That's not superstition....that's being awesome!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote:I'm extremely superstitious. I've resorted to the same kind of gummy worms before games and in crunch time, as our coach is big on eating m&m's before big games I figured I'd do my part with the candy angle.

Also my living room coach has become sacred and i will not watch any games anywhere else (unless we wind up at a closer tourney site), but I've justified that in my head with the idea I'll be wearing the same clothes and bringing the gummy worms.

Most importantly though - Hass jersey has been big down the stretch. I make sure to have the same pair of boxers clean for game day. Same socks. Same Keaney Blue shoes. Same jeans.

I think I get very OCD too. I try to retrace steps, if I blink once I blink twice. If I was standing when something good happens ill stay, if something bad happens i sit and stand again to reset it. I'm a literal mess.
BM, I've been there and done that on the OCD thing for many years...like I'm jinxing them if I do or don't move. So I definitely get you. But as they say, it's only weird if it DOESN'T work!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

rodfromcranston wrote:I wear one of my 3 million Rhody gear hoodies.
My daughter thinks I'm nuts because I yell at the TV
during games. "Dad, they can't hear you. You realize that, right?"
(I am nuts, but not because of that)
Hell, Elvis used to shoot his TVs. I wanted to do that a
few times this year.
Come on-- everyone yells at the TV! :lol: 8-)
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Given that we're in the middle of a long winning streak (one of the longest in many years), the superstitions people are presently running with must be good ones!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Great stuff from everyone.

I too pace around. And yell. When Stan had the block to send the Davidson game I fell to my knees and scared my wife. I also yelled "Oh shit!" very loudly following the EC dunk and I'm pretty sure the neighbors heard.

My wife (a UNLV alum) is a converted Rhody fan for this run we're on. When EC made the huge bank shot runner on Sunday my wife yelled, "Hey! They pushed him!" Haha. They certainly did.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steviep123 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I used to have routines...sit in the same place, don't talk about certain things or outcomes, etc...until the Sox won in '04...that's when I suddenly realized...I had no impact on the outcome whatsoever. Although... rudder, 104 and I made sure we wore the same stuff and sat in the same seats all 3 days in Pittsburgh... The only real preparation superstition I have now is to make sure the fridge is stocked with my favorite cold ones...but that's pretty much an 'every day' superstition, not necessarily specific to Rhody hoops... :lol:

"The only real preparation superstition I have now is to make sure the fridge is stocked with my favorite cold ones"

That's not superstition....that's being awesome!
Well...it's like the saying goes: "Nothing goes better with beer than everything"
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If they're on a winning streak like they're on now, my wife and I wear the same clothes that we wore when it started. While we watch on the TV, we both scream, pray (especially on our free throws) and scare our beloved Lab. When it gets really tight, I find something to do to distract me (fold laundry, empty the dishwasher, etc.) as long as I'm within earshot of the TV.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

When I go to the RC, I try and get to campus 75 minutes before game time. I park in the exact same spot every game. I get in the lobby exactly 5 minutes before the gates open. I go upstairs, get my large diet coke and watch warmups. I'm not usually clothes superstitious, but after the VCU game, I wore the same t-shirt that they gave out over the same sweatshirt, same underwear, socks, jeans and hat to the Davidson game. When I'm home I tell my wife in the morning if there's anything she needs me to do, tell me now because it has to be done by (30 minutes before game time). I try to keep busy and peek onto Keaney Blue and Twitter every once in a while. It always seems to be a very long day waiting for the game.
Last edited by Billyboy78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I usually try not to wear any Rhody gear when I watch them.

Although I wore a long sleeve Rhody shirt Sunday afternoon cause I had confiendence in our MEN.

I think I'll still try to not wear Rhody gear though.
Last edited by PeterRamTime 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I'm in the basement by myself yelling just as loud as if I
was in Kingston. Will not let young grandchildren close to the TV at anytime. A couple of years ago my grand daughter asked me why I scream for three teams. When I told her I root for just one, she said "three, rhody, rams, and a team called defense".
5 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

I wear the same clothes each game until they lose, then I switch it up. That being said, I don't plan on switching things up any time soon! Also, just like Rhody74, if the games really close I have to find something to do to keep me busy, whether that's folding laundry or unloading the dishwasher, but I'm always within listening-distance.

During the VCU game with about 2 minutes left my Fiancée grabbed my wrist and checked my fitbit and it read 133 BPM. I can run 5 miles without my HR getting that high. Obviously I get really into it, to the point where I have sweat dripping down my forehead even though I'm barely moving.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

The only superstitions I've ever believed in are to ALWAYS put the right shoe on first (Something someone told me in college and I still do), and, hold the remote a certain way on my lap.
I feel the second one was the main reason the Pats won the Super Bowl. Yet, I probably won't even get a ring.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Always watch tv games on mute
Watch by myself, even if the game is on somewhere else in the house
DVR every game, rewatch wins and immediately delete losses

I am like this for no other sport or team I follow. Last year I wore a URI hoodie for every game I watched at home, but last season kind of sucked, so that's been retired on game days (is still acceptable on other days).
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I avoid wearing the colors of the opposing team all day. Bad juju if you do.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

We are all nuts.
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Another thing I forgot is that I have a tendency to only wear one article of clothing for the team (this goes for whatever team) at a time. So I won't wear both a Rhody t-shirt and a hat. I'll typically do just the shirt. However, on Sunday, I had a long sleeve URI T over a short sleeve URI T, not on purpose. I put the long sleeve on earlier in the morning because I was cold and then forgot I had the other one under it until after the game. Phew! I almost squandered the whole thing lol!

Like R74 said, we're all nuts!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

the entire a10 tourney i wore gray dress pants and a fleece. even put it on on sunday with no work
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I have directv so I will DVR all games that are televised and I think every game was on except for Fordham

In the non conf I watch on my phone if the game is streamed and this board is great for where to find the game streamed

I just watch the games at home and root like hell for URI. It's so much fun these last few weeks as we are playing up to our potential

Let's enjoy this as it's been so long since we played in the dance
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......gotta say that I don't really have anything specific routines, being fortunate to be on this side of the grass, I just each day as it comes, but now that we are dancing, I think I am gonna start some sorta routine for dance game day.....gonna start with three all the way around noon at Weiny O Rama.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Keaney_Blue
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Keaney_Blue »

If I'm not at the game I'm watching it at my house with only select family members. Not at a restaurant, bar, or a friend's house. I also found over the years wearing game jerseys never worked for me.......
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Keaney_Blue wrote:If I'm not at the game I'm watching it at my house with only select family members. Not at a restaurant, bar, or a friend's house. I also found over the years wearing game jerseys never worked for me.......
Yeah keep the old ones away for this run maybe :-)

If you have any '98 gear that would be preferable.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I was thinking my navy Hassan jersey was unlucky, especially after Fordham, but without thinking about how unlucky it was I wore it for Senior Night along with a URI Keaney long sleeve. Been wearing both for every game since.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Brought my girlfriend who isn't a huge fan of basketball to the LaSalle viewing party...and they won.
So then she came with us to VCU...and they won.
Watched the St. Joes game, and she attended the Davidson game too.
Watched every game with me in the A10 tourney.
Needless to say we're buying her a season ticket for next year. Keep the good (luck) times rolling!
2 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Don't let her go!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Just got my A10 Championship and March Madness t shirts in the mail!!!! My wardrobe is complete for the game!!!
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

gray work pants and blue fleece now 4-0, will wear it sunday despite not working
1 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Just saying I took a bottle to the face and we haven't lost since...
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Blue man, you really stepped up. Care to do it again, just to make sure??
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

74, I'm sure he would if it meant we go to the Final Four.......but ouch......
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

well, I know my wardrobe for Sunday...
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

For most of this season, my dad would walk out of the room during close games with around 5 minutes to go. He would explain that this is the point where URI would choke the game away; and he was usually right.

Those times are over!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

So true now we are expecting to win those close games

I love this team
2 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

I have been nude since the opening tip off against the Bluejays and will continue this tradition until Sunday night except I will wear a pair of RHODY socks if it gets chilly.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Sunday lunch.....three all the way.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Wearing he same shirt since st bonnies without washing it and then sitting in the same spot on the couch and drinking the same booze lol
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Carry on, everyone!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

theblueram wrote:I avoid wearing the colors of the opposing team all day. Bad juju if you do.
Yellow is an easy color to avoid. Yesterday must have tough, though...lol
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramfan85 wrote:
theblueram wrote:I avoid wearing the colors of the opposing team all day. Bad juju if you do.
Yellow is an easy color to avoid. Yesterday must have tough, though...lol
Ha, yeah. I wore lots of black, my URI March Madness T and my ragged old Keaney Blue fleece pullover.
1 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

I wear a pink ballerina tutu, and perform a perfect pirouette every time the Rams have the ball. Then I plie when they score.

What, you guys don't do that?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I hardly do anything or say anything about a game that is coming because I don't want to jinx anything.

Even in game I have said watch for this or they should do that during a game and even when it happens I'm kicking myself for saying it out loud.

Go Rhody!
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

Standard game day routine: dry with a keaney blue towel after showering, keaney blue under ware, sox. Navy blue URI tee shirt covered by a Keaney blue sweater or sweat shirt....
Nerves all day followed by watching the recorded game two or three times...
0 x
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Gray pants on, blue fleece on, ready to go
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE