Who is the most improved player on this team?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Hassan Martin
7%
Kuran Iverson
37%
EC Matthews
8%
Jared Terrell
3%
Jarvis Garrett
No votes
Stanford Robinson
3%
Nikola Akele
No votes
Christian Thompson
No votes
Jeff Dowtin
27%
Cyril Langevine
14%

Total votes: 59

Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Take this question however you want, I think there are a lot of ways to look at it, but I am thinking just in this season:

For certain players I guess you could compare them to the expectations levied on them based on past play, but I'm thinking from November 11 to today.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Who is the most improved player on this team?

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I said Dowtin. I think he exceeded everyone's expectations, including his coaches. Early in the season it was like he was playing in slow-motion. He was overwhelmed by the speed of the game. Once he got used to the speed of the game he really came on strong quickly.

Tell me the Freshman PGs in the country that have been better than him?

He really stabilized this team when Jarvis went down. If it weren't for him the season would have been a total loss.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Agreed, Dowtin here for me to. The change in his play from November to today has been a difference maker.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I was undecided between the two freshmen. I picked Cyril only because while Dowtin struggled at the beginning, he already showed some of the skills that came to fruition when Jarvis went down. Cyril went from the "deer in headlights" who had more fouls than anything else in his first couple of games to becoming a fierce rebounder and better finisher. If he has the same work ethic and dedication as Hass, I can see him becoming a worthy successfor to him.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I think a lot of players have improved TREMENDOUSLY. Jeff being pressed into a starting role, Cyril looking like he'll be ready to fill very big shoes voided by #12 graduating, Nik has come on strong with great defensive work on wings. KI has developed into our X factor. Hass has been Hass but boy since he got healthy is he a nightmare for other teams. Jared has been a steady defensive presence. Jarvis had to battle that injury and has become so reliable from the line and as a key off the bench. Stan has made so many winning plays it's tough to count.

For me I'm going with EC. I criticized him for taking too many difficult shots earlier this year and not relying on his NBA-caliber ability to drive to the rim and score. I also said he wasn't clutch. Did I mention I say things that area really dumb sometimes?

Holy hell was I wrong. From the Davidson OT on, he looks like a player who could play in the NBA. That's not hyperbole. Not only is he playing within himself, leaning on his driving ability, making the extra pass, making players around him better...he's hitting those shots he was missing. Mainly because his shot selection has improved immensely. He's also been C-L-U-T-C-H clutch. Every time we've needed a big shot for the last week it's been him. Deep 3. Big drive. Big free throws. Holy hell this kid looks like what everyone said he was going to be 2 years ago.

I haven't seen a wild step-back when there were other options. Nothing rushed early in the clock. Just heady, smart basketball with flawless execution.

It very obviously was the injury. I think it's fair to say that now. That dunk in OT changed his outlook. That is a bad man, and if he plays like this we will ride him to a very memorable March.
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I was between Langevine and Dowtin, but went with Jeff.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I went with Kuran. He is much more reliable now on both ends of the floor and is able to play more productive minutes.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Pretty great that there's a real discussion to be had about this because so many guys contributed and came into their own. Dowtin's been good individually, but I also think he represents a roster and program depth that hasn't been there in the last five seasons.

But overall, I don't think they're where they're at without Kuran. Dan's talked a lot about how proud he is of KI and how he's developed as a player and as a young man. It's one of his favorite things about coaching, to see a guy figure it out like he has. Kuran's been equally complimentary about how his coach and this program has helped him. You need your veterans to lead, and Kuran has stepped up, transformed how he sees his role, and done whatever was needed to get wins. Seeing him in tears at the end of that championship game was really moving. And if he still takes the occasional ill-advised 3, it's all just part of his charm!
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......can make a case for KI, however went with Jeff....actually do not wanna think what would have become of us without him when Jarvis went out...
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

I went with Jeff as well. PG is such a key position and he handled himself incredibly well for a Freshman. He's really good at using his size and length to create spacing on mid-range jumpers and drives.

A day will come when the Rams will look to Jeff to be the #2 or #3 scoring option and I think he's up to the task.

My favorite Jeff moment from this season so far? While the first Davidson game was great, how he handled himself against a physical, veteran VCU team on a big stage was terrific. Watch the game again and look at him take the ball up in the 2nd half: He's slapping the shit out of the VCU players trying to reach and harass him. Not intimidated or passive one bit.

It was a money game and he was more than up to the task. Are you telling me that Jarvis and Jeff or Jeff and Fats on the floor at the same time won't create tons of quality looks for JT and EC next year? Please.
Last edited by mstyles22 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

I went with Cyril as he has started to develop a little bit of an offensive game. How many layups do we miss as a team but I am pretty confident now that he can grab a rebound and put it in off the back board. Now I can see him on that end to be a double digit scorer by his junior year. Plus he has improved his free throw shooting since the start of the year and has cut down on fouling so much while still playing aggressively.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think arguments could be made - for very different reasons - for EC, Dowtin and Langevine, but I went with Iverson. I just think back to people questioning whether he should even see the court anymore towards the end of OOC and how invaluable he was during conference play. The switch really came fast and out of nowhere. You can't say he was the most valuable player during conference play, but he was definitely the X factor and we couldn't have made this run without his contributions. My favorite part of it is that what made him so valuable was that he played a game completely different than the game that made him a five star recruit going to Memphis. He basically became a Tommy point machine - rebounding, defending, passing, and only looking to score when it came to him. Total transformation from the player that arrived here.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I didn't vote because they ALL improved. Just couldn't pick one over the others.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Dan getting KI to sacrifice himself for the team is one of the bigger stories of the year. And no small feat.
I would have never thought he would be considered one of our more consistent players, but especially in conference games he brought 110% night in and night out.
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Last year to this year, it's Iverson. He was a completely different player this year. Max effort, max hustle, doing the dirty work. He was a force.

Within just this year it's Dowtin. He went from a baby deer stumbling around to being a key piece. The job he did stepping in for Garrett can't be overstated. He went against the best players in the conference and matched them every time out. Kid is gonna be special
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Exeter ram
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Exeter ram »

Hassan Martin
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I think Cyril...for many of the reasons already stated. But it was hard, because as also already stated, many players made important improvements during this season and their career here. Kudos to the players and coaching staff.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think this team got better at a time in the season and came together in a way that we have not seen around here in some time.

You see how they all play together and how everything has come together and you think wow this is really the first season together for these guys and you see that they have really developed an identity. Things are established now and its a very good basketball team.

They have really bumped up against their potential. The scary/exciting thing is that they just blew the doors off of 3 good basketball teams in as many days. If they take another step forward we could be in for a special season.

Proud of these guys. Ready to renew my tickets.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good question and a lot of interesting responses. How great that we have so many players to choose from and argue for.

Iverson. Earlier in the season I read some thought he should come off the bench and not start. Quite a change there to go from possible bench to 3rd leading rebounder in the A10.

EC Mathews. Also I read some saying he should come off the bench as a 6th man earlier this year. Some doubting he should ever have been an NBA prospect. Now here he is MVP of the A10 Championship that we won for the first time in 20 years. That's a lot of improvement.

Dowtin. You might say he is the most improved but the timeline is key. Improved over what period of time? He is a freshman so just like with Martin, Terrell, Garrett, Mathews........all of them improved a lot their Freshmen years. They started off fighting for a starting position their 1st years just as Dowtin and Langevine have. Agree he has improved a lot.

My vote for improvement from last year to this year would be Iverson BUT I voted for EC because of how he improved from the beginning of this year to the A10 Tournament. Both Iverson and Mathews were mentioned by posters as not starting - that is how they were viewed by some but now both are here leading the team to a long awaited A10 Championship and NCAA Bid. If I could vote for 2 there would be a tie.
Martin has been immense too. That Personal High setting of 18 rebounds vs VCU and 17 vs Davidson in such crucial games - just wow.
Really tough to pick the most improved - what a wonderful "problem" to have :D

Finally,
I have read during the depths of despair that DH does not develop players. Some mention of this with ARD too. But here we are having a big discussion about which player improved the most. Big men and guards both in the discussion. Plus it is hard to decide because there are so many who improved by so much :!: :!:
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Speaking of ARD,
has anyone wondered that Hassan this season
has a ton of low post moves that he
didn't before?
Hassan is the most improved player on
offense.
He's played less minutes per game than any
year but his freshman season.
Yet, he's up 2.1 point per game, shooting 60%
from the field, up 1.4 in rebounds.
I'm going to say our best most impressive
player, Hassan the Great is our most improved player.
3 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rod, good point. I didn't pick Hass, because I already thought he was our MVP last year before he was hurt, but this year he really developed a decent 12 foot jumper. I really hope he gets a shot at the.next level.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
603RunninRams
Jim Eitner

Unread post by 603RunninRams »

I was impressed with Cyril down the stretch. He was monumental in that game on Sunday with HM and KI on the brink of/or in foul trouble. He stepped in and gave great minutes, not only bought us time but provided some timely offensive boards and FINISHED some put backs! Led the team in rebounding (10)! Imagine getting this from him even a few weeks ago, when he was just timid with the ball and going up out of control around the hoop, seemingly never finishing.

Very tough question. Lots of good answers.
1 x
URI '08
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I'd also go with KI. He seems to have found himself both on and off the court. Fearless on defense, and very confident on offense. There is a part of me to cast a vote for Robinson. He has improved and if you think that after Fordham the team turned around, that's is obviously true. But SR's block in the last second against Davidson might have been almost as important.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That is a great point. I thought about Robinson's performance in that critical GMU road game right after Fordham and games after that too, but that blocked shot at the buzzer against Davidson was truly remarkable.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I picked KI - clear winner for me...but, lots of choices...cases could be made for:
--"1/4 of the way into the season EC" vs "3/4s of the season til the end EC". I still see that EC dunk v Davidson over and over and can't really recall him ever making a play like that before...pre- or post-injury. I find myself repeating myself saying, "EC has deceptive ups and hang time..."
--Hass, for just the reasons Rod said...lots of post moves now and a much improved mr jumper
--Cyril..a rebounding stud all year...making great strides up the offensive ladder. Is he an offensive force? No, not at all...but HUGELY improved from even a few weeks ago. (Note to Cyril and Nikola - Please (PLEASE) do not put the ball on the floor)
--Stan...kinda seems like the more he plays, the more helpful he gets
--Dowtin....can't say enough about how he stepped up when the time came...
--Dan...but, the question is...has he really changed? Or, is he the same and things are clicking now?

This looks like a team that is definitely not ready to lose anytime soon...
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

From Nov 11 to now, I picked Langevine, who went from looking lost, to a key contributor in the biggest games. He was huge in the A10 title game with his physicality (is that a word?) But just as easily could have been Dowtin. Robinson was the key in the early Cinci game, IMO it was a matter of getting his minutes. KI was great too; heck they all were. Hard to choose.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I voted for Dowtin

Cases could be made for a bunch of players
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Kuran. Not even close. He started off the season as a mediocre player and then turned a corner during the second half of A10 play. He finally plays with a fire inside and is living up to his potential. Great to see!
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rodfromcranston wrote:Speaking of ARD,
has anyone wondered that Hassan this season
has a ton of low post moves that he
didn't before?
Hassan is the most improved player on
offense.
He's played less minutes per game than any
year but his freshman season.
Yet, he's up 2.1 point per game, shooting 60%
from the field, up 1.4 in rebounds.
I'm going to say our best most impressive
player, Hassan the Great is our most improved player.

ARD is why Im the most excited to see what Langevine can do next year. Give ARD an off season to work with him and teach him some offensive moves and how to go up strong in traffic, and watch out. Doesnt have to be Kevin McHale on the block, just some basic things.
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......CL.....a noticeable improvement already seen is on the offensive boards put backs with the elimination of the dribble to no where, he gets the ball up so that it can not be easily batted away.....and some better hands....all nice to see this year...
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I won't disagree with anyone's choice since this whole team improved, but I chose JT. He went from a player with potential and one that only showed glimpse of his talent to a player that really helped carry the team to the A10 tourney Finals game. At times he was our best player when Has and EC were hurt/off. Next to Martin, he was our most important player this season.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
GO RAMS
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

If we are talking in season improvement I go with Langevine. he couldn't even make an uncontested put back
earlier in the season. Now he sure can and he is a monster under the boards. It is a close call with Dowtin in
running as a very very close second. If you are talking about since last season then it would have to be Iverson.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I was torn between KI and Dowtin, but picked JD.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”