The Turnaround

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

The Turnaround

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I don't think there is any doubt that the low point of the season came immediately after a 53-43 devastating loss against Fordham. Many on this board and in the media felt that our at-large hopes were all but dead... And for good reason.

So how did they turn things around so dramatically? How did they win their next five in a row to finish the regular season, including big home wins against VCU and Davidson? How did they march through the A10 Championship and win the title with relative ease? Truly an improbable turnaround.

It reminds me of the 2014 Elite 8 Dayton team that started A10 Conference play with a 1-5 record.... 1-5!! They were 13-8 overall at that point. Who the hell would have thought that they would then win 9 of their next 10 to finish out the regular season and lock up an at-large bid? And then to make it to the Elite 8... Incredible..

So how did we do it?
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Re: The Turnaround

Improved health is certainly what the coaching staff points to most often. I have to admit I grew tired of the injury excuse this season. Not because I didn't believe it was real, but I just didn't want to believe that injuries could keep us from achieving our season's goals.

But there is no question that having Hass back at 100%, Jarvis' back to near full-strength, and EC more confident in his knee has made a huge difference in the turnaround.
4 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Good question, RJ. I guess the obvious answer is "That's why they play the games."
It is amazing how everything just flipped and the shots started falling.

First, the Pats.......Now, the Rams.
My question is "Can't my teams ever do anything the easy way? Lol.
Last edited by ramfan85 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

I think Dan read all the expert advice on the board. Heh heh..

I think it was several things.

1) They played with urgency. They had a very small margin of error being literally on the antithesis of the bubble. You couldn't lose another game and risk the committee's selection.
2) EC Matthews became EC Matthews in the second half of the regular season finale against Davidson and hasn't stopped being that guy. He drove to the basket and finished shots or when fouled, he made the FTs. He shot the 3 in rhythm and didn't force anything.
3) Dan really improved his substitutions and started making good in game decisions like placing Robinson on Gibbs late in the second half and OT of said Davidson game.
4) Hassan appears to be more healthy and is doing it all right now, scoring, rebounding and blocks.
5) Come March, the refs swallow. Their whistles that is. So, defense becomes a premium and that's this team's speciality.
6) Two viable PGs with different skill sets and both effective. Dowtin benefited from valuable playing time when Garrett was out. And now we have 2 PGs we can rely on and that keeps our offensive flow consistent. Much different when JT or EC had to run the point.
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
4 x
'No Mercy.'
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramfan85 wrote:Good question, RJ. I guess the obvious answer is "That's why they play the games."
It is amazing how everything just flipped and the shots started falling.

First, the Pats.......Now, the Rams.
My question is "Can't my teams ever do anything the easy way? Lol.
I'm so happy its not the easy way. They make these wins mean that much more. The feeling I got Sunday was Sox-in-04-esque...but so much more meaningful to me because of the nature of my relationship with this team.

From what I've read it seems like Dan pulled the senior and junior core into his office and they had a come together moment. That along with all of the other aforementioned factors of health and confidence really helped.

Plus...the expectations. I think they weighed heavy on these guys earlier in the year. Didn't know how to handle them. I'd say that came full 180, you could tell they finally believed they were the best team in the conference by the weekend of this tournament. Belief is a powerful thing. Us being the sexy upset pick doesn't scare me because we had a whole year to learn from the pressure and adversity of those kind of expectations.
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

You can't separate out the injuries and the physical factors, and I do think that had the most effect. This is not a mentally weak team. You can't do what they've done if they were. Still, there's a different feeling between trying to maintain and be perfect to meet expectations and accepting that the worst has kind of happened, then saying eff it and just playing anyway.

We'll thankfully never know, but I wonder if that George Mason game- after the game that shall not be mentioned- is at home, do they do this?

The guys out there aren't immune to the fans' feelings and reactions. It's not blaming anyone, it's just the way it is. They got to get away and then, more importantly, come out so strong in that game, only to have to fight to win it at the end. But they did win it, changed the way those games seemed to have gone. Then, they stay on the road and avenge the earlier loss to La Salle. The VCU game answered even more questions, even ones they may have asked about themselves, and the rest is history. Happy, delirious history.
10 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ace wrote:You can't separate out the injuries and the physical factors, and I do think that had the most effect. This is not a mentally weak team. You can't do what they've done if they were. Still, there's a different feeling between trying to maintain and be perfect to meet expectations and accepting that the worst has kind of happened, then saying eff it and just playing anyway.

We'll thankfully never know, but I wonder if that George Mason game- after the game that shall not be mentioned- is at home, do they do this?

The guys out there aren't immune to the fans' feelings and reactions. It's not blaming anyone, it's just the way it is. They got to get away and then, more importantly, come out so strong in that game, only to have to fight to win it at the end. But they did win it, changed the way those games seemed to have gone. Then, they stay on the road and avenge the earlier loss to La Salle. The VCU game answered even more questions, even ones they may have asked about themselves, and the rest is history. Happy, delirious history.
A lot of us, me included, questioned their mental toughness - it was troubling to see tough losses give way to worse ones (valpo - PC, dayton - la salle, dayton - fordham) - but BOY were we wrong. Never been so happy to be proven wrong in my life. Even if they were at one point, they let those losses galvanize them. Those losses and the doubts are probably the reason they are so tough and confident right now.

I think the emotion we play with was a double edged sword - evidenced by those 3 2 game streaks, and then the response at the end of the year. That probably made us so much more dangerous going into Friday. As much as it may have killed us earlier, that emotion is driving our bus to Sacramento right now.

Btw I LOVE that this place has righted the ship so that you can come back :-) warms my heart.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

I think you also have to point out the maturation of Dan Hurley as a Head Coach. Many of us have criticized his stubbornness, unwillingness to play some zone, for example. When was the last time you saw this team play as much zone as we have in the last 8 games? I think this season has shown Dan that he can throw in wrinkles while not abandoning his particular philosophy. I know Dan did mention publicly that he simplified some things on defense but I really think it has been the wrinkles we have thrown at our opponents recently that has really kept our opponents off balance. Wrinkles that have not traditionally been a Hurley signature.
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

For me I think it's a lot of things that made the big change -

The loss to Fordham, obviously

Dowtin coming in as a pass-first PG and bringing consistent play

Dan embracing more game-to-game adjustments (zone, trapping pressure, Cyril and Hass on court together)

But to me the biggest thing is that our best players became our leaders. That's always the ideal scenario and EC, Jared and Hassan put this team on their back in the last month and refused to lose. Everyone else played valuable roles around them, really valuable roles. But for a lot of this season we lacked identity and it showed itself in the worst times - when games got tight, on the road, in the last minute/end of shot clock, etc. In Pittsburgh it was clear, the offense was running through 1 of those 3 guys every time down court, and everyone knew what their role was.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

They finally started playing like we all knew they could.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RoadyJay wrote:I think you also have to point out the maturation of Dan Hurley as a Head Coach. Many of us have criticized his stubbornness, unwillingness to play some zone, for example. When was the last time you saw this team play as much zone as we have in the last 8 games? I think this season has shown Dan that he can throw in wrinkles while not abandoning his particular philosophy. I know Dan did mention publicly that he simplified some things on defense but I really think it has been the wrinkles we have thrown at our opponents recently that has really kept our opponents off balance. Wrinkles that have not traditionally been a Hurley signature.
As the few of us carrying the banner this year did point out...Dan is a young coach. He is still learning. He is also evolving. Games in mid-December and January were not referendums on the entire season, but rather different chapters in a book. The last 8 games and hopefully more, tell a much better picture of who Dan is as a coach to make those adjustments.

His freshman have developed under him extremely well - Dowtin and Langevine have become invaluable guys. His transfers - KI and Stan - have gelled with this team. Those aren't accidents.

A lot of people had a problem with his sideline antics (I personally have always loved the fire), but he toned that down this year as well.

Again, he's been coaching college basketball for now 7 seasons. He's been coaching at this level for 5. He was the best hire we ever could have hoped for and he's still evolving. Let's just hope he wants to keep winning here.

The other aspect of this is player execution. Dan made plenty of changes, but there were still plays that gave us open shots at the end of games that were missed. In the past a lot of complaints came out about inbounds plays. I think a huge change was made there as well...since I don't remember any major issues inbounding the ball down the stretch this year (the bullshit 4 second 5 second call not withstanding). Also - free throws. I don't care what you say, that's not a coaching thing. That's a player thing. Dan legally cannot tell his players to go and shoot in their free time, but the best shooters do (see Baron, Jimmy). Games down the stretch, we hit free throws and closed them out. Both VCU games, both Davidson games. 2nd half of the Bonnies game. Huge points where we needed to shoot well and we finally did.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It was the signs! Seriously for me it was a change in the team when they were down 9 to Davidson late in the 2nd half. I think Hassan realized it first - he started taking over (realizing this is it - his last chance). Then KI stepped up. Then EC realized he needed to do this for his best friend - their last year playing together. For the first time this year they played relaxed. You could see it on offense with the smoothness of their shots. The fans helped in the Davidson game. They pumped the players up on defense leading to many turnovers. EC took over at the end and OT scoring the last 8 points. And of course "the Dunk" - explosive.

Before that the players use to get tight near the end of games or during key points in a game. Now they are playing like they know the shot is going in instead of wishing it in. No more overthinking just playing and their natural talents takes over.

Dan has been much better coach as well. You see it in most facets of the game - better player rotation, better plays out of TOs, using zone some to change it up on the other team, more minutes for his key players if the game warrants it, bringing Hass or KI back early from foul trouble because the game is swinging to the other team.

They all seem more relaxed, more confident and having fun.
They turned the switch with about 5 minutes to go against Davidson and haven't turned it back!
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

ace wrote:The guys out there aren't immune to the fans' feelings and reactions. It's not blaming anyone, it's just the way it is. They got to get away and then, more importantly, come out so strong in that game, only to have to fight to win it at the end. But they did win it, changed the way those games seemed to have gone. Then, they stay on the road and avenge the earlier loss to La Salle. The VCU game answered even more questions, even ones they may have asked about themselves, and the rest is history. Happy, delirious history.
ace, one of the things that has been troubling to me all season is the wedge that was driven between the team and the fans. I think responsibility for this occurring lies on both sides. I get that some "fans" are completely unreasonable with their comments and reactions. But you also can't let it affect you to the point where you are pushing the fans away.

The interesting story here is that I think Dan took the criticism, the doubts, and used it as fuel... as motivation. In turn he used it as motivation with the players.

In the end, this fan base was there for Dan and this team. They showed up against VCU, they showed up against Davidson. After both of those games it was great to see the players come over and embrace the students. That hadn't happen at any other point in the season.

The fans also showed up in Pittsburgh.

Let me put it this way... This team and the fan base were in marriage counseling for a while, but in the end, we realized that we need and love each other.
6 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RoadyJay wrote:
ace wrote:The guys out there aren't immune to the fans' feelings and reactions. It's not blaming anyone, it's just the way it is. They got to get away and then, more importantly, come out so strong in that game, only to have to fight to win it at the end. But they did win it, changed the way those games seemed to have gone. Then, they stay on the road and avenge the earlier loss to La Salle. The VCU game answered even more questions, even ones they may have asked about themselves, and the rest is history. Happy, delirious history.
ace, one of the things that has been troubling to me all season is the wedge that was driven between the team and the fans. I think responsibility for this occurring lies on both sides. I get that some "fans" are completely unreasonable with their comments and reactions. But you also can't let it affect you to the point where you are pushing the fans away.

The interesting story here is that I think Dan took the criticism, the doubts, and used it as fuel... as motivation. In turn he used it as motivation with the players.

In the end, this fan base was there for Dan and this team. They showed up against VCU, they showed up against Davidson. After both of those games it was great to see the players come over and embrace the students. That hadn't happen at any other point in the season.

Let me put it this way... This team and the fan base were in marriage counseling for a while, but in the end, we realized that we need and love each other.
I couldn't say it any better Jay.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RoadyJay wrote:

I'm not assigning fault or blame to anyone on any side or even saying that there's a role for that. It's just the situation. These guys are very aware of what this program has and has not done and their particular place in URI basketball history. They wanted to get it done for themselves and the fans and for what it means to the program going forward.
Last edited by ace 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

To me it was the determination to get Haas an and KI to the tournament. They played with a level of determination that I have not seen, not even at the beginning of the season
3 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RoadyJay wrote:I don't think there is any doubt that the low point of the season came immediately after a 53-43 devastating loss against Fordham. Many on this board and in the media felt that our at-large hopes were all but dead... And for good reason.

So how did they turn things around so dramatically? How did they win their next five in a row to finish the regular season, including big home wins against VCU and Davidson? How did they march through the A10 Championship and win the title with relative ease? Truly an improbable turnaround.

It reminds me of the 2014 Elite 8 Dayton team that started A10 Conference play with a 1-5 record.... 1-5!! They were 13-8 overall at that point. Who the hell would have thought that they would then win 9 of their next 10 to finish out the regular season and lock up an at-large bid? And then to make it to the Elite 8... Incredible..

So how did we do it?
"Why do we fall? So we can get back up" - Alfred in "Batman Begins"

"It's not how you fall, it's how you get up"
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good question, my thoughts of why this happened, not necessarily in order of importance

1. The team was never as bad as many people thought. Valparaiso, Houston, PC, both Dayton Games - were all very close and easily could have gone either way. Not like we were getting blown out or even close to being blown out.

2. Lack of confidence - losing games, even against good opponents on the road, can cause players and coaches to pressure themselves and play not to lose and with less confidence.

3. EC coming off ACL surgery and recovery takes time. Many doubted him but he came on strong and was the deserved MVP of the A10 Championship

4. Martin injury in PC game - it affected his performance vs PC and maybe could have been the difference in a victory there. He missed games and even upon return he was not 100%. By end of season, like EC, he was playing his best of the year and his career. Martin with 17 points and 18 rebounds in the huge 10 point victory over VCU, then 17 rebounds versus Davidson on Senior Night were simply dominating performances

5. Kuran Iverson finished Top 3 in A10 in rebounding. He teamed with Martin to form the best big man combination in the A10. His rebounding, shot blocking, offensive moves, height and enthusiasm were all so important to this team

6. Jarvis Garrett missed 8 A10 Games from Game 4 January 15 vs UMASS. He returned a month later February 15 for the Fordham game. He was not 100% before the UMASS game and we don't know for sure how long before that he was sick and his play was affected. Nor do we know how long after return he was not at 100%. Good news is he is now back. His 12-12 FTs vs VCU were remarkable and clutch. His being able to come in a provide a spark, skill and experience since his return has been important. He has allowed DH to put 2 and even 3 PGs in the game at the same time with teams like Dayton and VCU want to full court pressure.

7. Stanford Robinson received more playing time with the injury to Garrett and to some extent the Martin injury. He tended to fill the roll of 6th man, ie TJ Buchanan. His shooting, defense, energy, enthusiasm, passing, steals and confidence were keys to our run. His 21 point performance with 5-8 FGs, 3-3 on three pointers, 4 rebounds @ George Mason in a very tight 3 point victory, immediately following the Fordham debacle, was huge. If we had lost that GM Game to make it 3 straight losses then question of "How did we do it?" would not exist right now

8. Jeff Dowtin. URI has gone 14-3 since Jeff became a starter. 14-3!!! He had 55 assists and 17 TOs for a A10 Leading 3.2 Assist to TO ratio. Some thought Robinson should be the starter when Garrett went out. Hurley rolled the dice and went with the Freshman at PG. Some games, all of Dowtin's assists went to Martin. I have not seen any player get Martin so involved offensively in his 4 years at URI than Dowtin has. He leads the team, tells players where to go, always directing the floor much like a player/coach. Martin became an offensive force this year but he is dependent upon others getting him the ball in optimum position to score directly or take a dribble to get in position. Early in the season DH said on some calls that Jeff needed to improve defensively. 2nd half of season Jeff slowed down Scoochie Smith, Jaylen Adams, JeQuan Lewis, Joseph Chartouney, Jaren Sina and Jack Gibbs.
During the crucial VCU game and a crucial point in that game, Jeff saw an opportunity, drove in for a layup and was fouled. He displayed little emotion, had both of his hands waving in a downward motion by his waist and was basically telling himself and his teammates to relax, stay cool and composed. This from a freshman. Most players would be pounding their chest and expressing lots of emotion. His teammates feed off of Jeff's coolness and confidence.

9. Jared Terrell defense really picked up in the A10 Tournament. He teamed with EC to create two of the best wing players in the league. Both had and EC can shoot 3's, shoot FTs well, rebound, drive the lane and lead by example. Great that they are back next year.

10. Cyril Langevine was a real spark on the team for a Freshman. He dominated some games with his offensive rebounding skills. He is a relentless workhorse down low and make Martin, Iverson or both leaving a game due to Fouls, injury or just a rest not an issue. He proved to be a more than adequate back up big man, first big off the bench and a likely big man starter next season. A leader by example, similar to Dowtin, and just a freshman

11. Dan Hurley was never as bad as most thought, especially after the Fordham loss. He pulled his team together. He exuded confidence in himself and in his team that they could do this. He maintained control on the sideline all year, almost no Technical Fouls and most importantly he maintained himself during all of the many MUST wins that were required that past month. He made a key decision to go with Jeff Dowtin as the PG when JG went out. He knew and told us prior to the season that Dowtin and Langevine were showing the best in practices. While some doubted his statement on Dowtin and doubted the recruiting class, it certainly rang true as the season progressed. He instilled excellent defense skills in his players and developed them into a league leading 3PG% and 2PFG% defensive team. URI finished 3rd nationally in 3FG% Defense, 29th in FG% Defense and 4th in Blocked Shots per Game.
Dan made an adjustment mid season to reduce the amount of 3 point shots being taken and to drive the ball more to the basket. Even in the A10 Tournament game vs VCU the camera picked him up saying "Drive the Ball". Terrell, EC, Robinson and Dowtin all drive to the basket more for high percentage shots.
The team became much better at driving the lane and dishing back out for open 3's. Team was unselfish and often made the extra pass - not worried about who scored the points.
Dan inserted Dowtin and Garrett together often down the stretch. He also played Robinson with them essentially having 3 PGs together. Teams were unsuccessful against us with the Full Court press when they needed the ball back. Dan managed the substitutions and who was on the floor at the right time well during the Conference Play.

12. Nikola Akele, Andre Berry and Christian Thompson all contributed during the run. If any of them did not contribute in key spots as they did we may not be here today. All players maintained a team attitude and conducted themselves professionally. Mike Layssard watched, listened and was always attentive, always supportive. The entire team and coaches stayed enthusiastic and never gave up.

13. Antonio Reynolds Dean. The impact on this team of having a former URI Player who was part of the 1998-1999 team that last went to the NCAA Tournament might have been bigger than we think. For young players like these guys, it's nice to have a former player as their coach. The performance of Martin, Iverson and Langevine has been above what most expected going into this season, and especially over the past 2 weeks. How much of that is due to ARD? We may never know but my guess is he made a very nice impact.

14. Just as confidence can suffer with close losses, confidence grows on teams as they win. As the winning continued the confidence to hit the 3's grew, driving the lane confidence grew, rebounding and shot blocking confidence grew. This team is on a roll now and their confidence is growing as they go. They are peaking at the perfect time.

15. Scheduling. This could be questioned and has been BUT you could argue that the scheduling made this team tough. If we had gone with 1 or 2 losses in OOC we may not have seen some of the weaknesses that we needed to work on and address. The losses made this team tougher, made them look inside themselves. The road games at PC, Valpo, Houston made this team tough in tough environments. I wouldn't change anything with the schedule - now :D

16. The Cincinnati win. Was huge. Showed the team and the basketball world that this team can play with anyone. And we did it without our starting PG for 3/4ths of the game. The Duke game was good for us too. Anytime you can play a program like Duke and play them to 10 points it's good. Cincinnati was the only Top 25 victory for the A10. URI Players and Coaches now believe they can play with any team in the nation. Tough schedule made a tough team.

17. Fans got more on board as the winning streak continued. Nice crown at the Davidson game and Senior Night and the huge OT win. Proud of the fans who made the trek to Pittsburgh and cheered this team on.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
5 x
603RunninRams
Jim Eitner

Unread post by 603RunninRams »

Hey guys, First time poster but I've been here daily since the ProJo boards. Living in NH, this is my only "source" for good Rhody info, so I thank you for keeping me up to date.

I think something that may be getting overlooked slightly is EC's knee. It takes time to come back from an ACL injury and I know a lot of pro athletes have come back within a year to look like themselves, but everyone heals differently and maybe we jumped the gun expecting EC to beast mode early in the year. We saw flashes sure, but we also saw someone hesitant at times and who wasn't playing their style of hoops that we are used to seeing.

We literally saw him get his confidence back in his physical ability to do what he wants in OT vs Davidson and since he's been the EC we were expecting to see all season. He has said so much himself. Getting back a motivated and healthy top-of-the-conference scorer was HUGE for us the last few weeks. It put all the teams roles back into alignment.

Thanks again for keeping exiled URI fans in the loop!
3 x
URI '08
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Ramster, I agree this team wasn't as bad as it appeared. It really was those 2 heart breaking losses to Dayton that had a snowball effect mentally and physically. You could make an argument that we're 0-4 in the A-10 because of Dayton and 16-1 in all other A-10 games.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

To me, I felt like this was basically who we have been for almost 3 years now, but up until the last month or so, we had a Murphy's Law problem. You could see glimpses of them being this caliber of team, but in the biggest moments something always went wrong - some bounce of the ball, some call, some great play by the other team, some bonehead play or freak mistake at the most inopportune time by one of our guys. I said many times that I expected those things to even out because mathematically they had to, that there was some kind of mental block that was self perpetuating that needed to be broken through and the floodgates would open.

I don't know exactly what it was that flipped the switch, but my best guess is that after the Fordham game all the pressure that was building and compounding and weighing on the team was suddenly completely off, and they got a chance to play without that burden for the first time in a long time. By the time they got back to the point where the pressure was reintroduced, they had learned how it felt to play unburdened and the anxiety was replaced by confidence and the inevitability of failure was replaced by the inevitability of success. They got to the point where they could embrace the pressure and use it rather than shoulder it and suffer under it.

It was a legitimate question whether they'd ever get to this point or if the season would totally get away from them first. Even though I argued repeatedly here that it would turn eventually, I definitely thought we had gotten past the point where we could turn it around after the Fordham game. As it turned out, maybe they needed to hit rock bottom.

The best thing about this to me is that on top of pure unbridled joy of snatching victory from the jaws of defeat over the course of 4 or 5 weeks or whatever it was, on top of getting this opportunity for Iverson and especially Martin before they left school, on top of never having to hear "1999" again after this ride is over, is that the reverberations of this should be felt by this program on into the future. Shaking the monkey off your back and doing it in such dramatic fashion should change the mentality in and around the program in a way that can be carried forward by the guys who return next year and passed on to the guys who come in after them. We won't have to play with that anxiety, that pressure of ending the drought that these players and coaches didn't earn or deserve but that their fans placed on them. That is all vanquished now, like the Curse of the Bambino. Now these guys can just play, like every other team. They can be buoyed by their tradition again and not burdened by past failures.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....whatever took place behind the scenes after the Fordham loss.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938