A10 Teams and Game Times in NCAA NIT and CBI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

A10 Teams and Game Times in NCAA NIT and CBI

Unread post by ramster »

NCAA
Thursday 7:20pm EDT TBS in Salt Lake City: VCU 10 Seed (26-8) vs St Mary's 7 Seed (28-4) Odds: VCU +4.5 on TBS
Friday 4:30pm EDT TBS in Sacramento: URI 11 Seed (24-9) vs Creighton 6 Seed (25-9) : Odds URI +1 on TBS
Friday 7:10pm EDT CBS in Indianapolis: Dayton 7 Seed (24-7) vs 10 Seed Wichita State (30-4) Odds: Dayton +6 on CBS

NIT
Tuesday 9:15pm EDT ESPN2 @ University of Alabama: Richmond 6 Seed (26-10) vs Alabama 3 Seed (19-14) Odds: Richmond +7.5

CBI
Wednesday 7:00pm EDT Loyola Maryland @ George Mason Odds: George Mason -12
Wednesday 7:00pm EDT Toledo @ George Washington Odds: George Washington -5.5
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: A10 Teams and Game Times in NCAA NIT and CBI

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thx Ramster. I added the networks too.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

UNLESS THEY DECLINED,I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE OMISSION OF DAVIDSON AND THE BONNIES FROM A TOURNAMENT
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I believe they declined the CBI (not that uncommon)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

twisted3829 wrote:I believe they declined the CBI (not that uncommon)

Both Davidson and SBU were ahead of GW and GMU in the RPI ratings so I think it is a safe assumption that they declined. Both GMU and GW have coaches in their first year at each school. Any type of tournament is a good start for them.

Many schools turn down invites to the tournaments outside the NCAA and NIT. I am sure URI could have been in one of these last season if they wanted to. These tournaments really have no real prestige. Home games are basically pay to play. They both also have no issue inviting teams with losing records. Many schools choose to decline participating unless circumstances dictate it (like not having been in a tournament for many years or having a very young inexperienced squad).
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

ramster wrote:NCAA
Thursday 7:20pm EDT TBS in Salt Lake City: VCU 10 Seed (26-8) vs St Mary's 7 Seed (28-4) Odds: VCU +4.5 on TBS
Friday 4:30pm EDT TBS in Sacramento: URI 11 Seed (24-9) vs Creighton 6 Seed (25-9) : Odds URI +1 on TBS
Friday 7:10pm EDT CBS in Indianapolis: Dayton 7 Seed (24-7) vs 10 Seed Wichita State (30-4) Odds: Dayton +6 on CBS

NIT
Tuesday 9:15pm EDT ESPN2 @ University of Alabama: Richmond 6 Seed (26-10) vs Alabama 3 Seed (19-14) Odds: Richmond +7.5

CBI
Wednesday 7:00pm EDT Loyola Maryland @ George Mason Odds: George Mason -12
Thursday 7:00pm EDT Toledo @ George Washington Odds: George Washington -5.5

Good job, ramster

Thank you for this.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

All year I have heard how weak the A10 is this year and how they might get 2 and maybe even 1 team in the NCAA.

Tonight Richmond goes to play at Alabama as +7.5 point underdogs and they defeat P5 SEC Alabama 71-64. :D

Richmond will now play Oakland which was an upset winner AT Clemson after being down by 20 in the 2nd half. Clemson a short time ago was being talked about for NCAA

Let the Mid Majors show 'em :!:
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Eh, I don't like the idea of judging how teams are based on these lesser tournaments. Too many teams don't bother to get up for the game and often times they play a team that's excited to be in any tournament and to be getting a shot against a team they couldn't normally schedule.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I hated how the post game analyst kept referring to Richmond as a mid major and acted as if they were a DII team, I can't stand the ignorance. Especially versus the SEC, give me a break guy.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That's a nice road win for the Richmond Spiders and the a 10

Bama gave Kentucky all they could handle a few days ago
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

#6 seed Richmond will now get a home game as the #2 seed Clemson blew a 20 point lead losing at home to #7 seed Oakland of the Horizon League.

Fellow Horizon member Valpo, without Peters, got crushed at Illinois tonight.

2 of the 3 ACC teams that played tonight lost as Wake lost the NCAA play in game to Kansas State. Only Ga Tech in the NIT advances with a home win over Indiana.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote:I hated how the post game analyst kept referring to Richmond as a mid major and acted as if they were a DII team, I can't stand the ignorance. Especially versus the SEC, give me a break guy.
Doesn't say much for the competitive nature of the P5 Teams then does it? Maybe they should just decline the invitations if they are not going to play hard.
I think it has more to do with the fact that there is not as wide of a gap between A10 Teams and the P5 Teams than most prognosticators think.

I watched the entire game and I never thought Alabama was giving less than 100% or just going through the motions. The crowd was quite vocal as well in support of Alabama. I simply thought Richmond was the better team defensively, offensively and was better coached.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

8-Seed Cal State Bakerfield destroying 1-Seed P5 Bubble Team California 44-19 at the half.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

The top of the a10 can play with the middle to high middle of most major conferences. It is just the bottom of the A10 is much much worse then the p5 bottom. Make the A10 a 10 or maybe 12 team conference, and cut out duq and Fordham, then maybe lasalle and st. B/st joes. mainly the last three die because of facilities, not as much competition level for them.

It is one of the smart things the new Big East did when it "formed" in keeping it small with a true round robin
Last edited by urirx 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The A10 had 5 teams with 20+ wins before the post season with 3 NCAA bids all seeded better than the first four in a "down year". Not too shabby.
0 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

twisted3829 wrote:I believe they declined the CBI (not that uncommon)
Generally, I'd encourage URI to decline playing in these types of tournaments. It is costly and there is no prestige to winning it, never mind playing in it. But in some circumstances I would make an exception. If they'd been invited in one of Hurley's first two seasons here I would be OK with it. It is somewhat similar to an elite football program accepting a bid to a lousy bowl game after a bad season - the game itself may not actually matter, but getting those extra practices and game reps in can be valuable to teams at certain points in their life cycle. Obviously money is an issue, but if you can afford to do it, there are situations where it makes sense.
RF1 wrote:2 of the 3 ACC teams that played tonight lost as Wake lost the NCAA play in game to Kansas State. Only Ga Tech in the NIT advances with a home win over Indiana.
Interesting thing about that Indiana/GT game - maybe or maybe not related to the above - Indiana was the higher seed and declined the home game. Could be that their thinking was that they would not desecrate Assembly Hall for a lowly NIT game (the administration said something about students being on break, which is dumb). The attitude of the Hoosier team seemed to support the idea that the school didn't take the tournament seriously. I wonder if Crean could be in trouble - if the team has tuned him out. Hard to explain the second half of their season.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhodymob05 wrote:I hated how the post game analyst kept referring to Richmond as a mid major and acted as if they were a DII team, I can't stand the ignorance. Especially versus the SEC, give me a break guy.
If you're not in the cartel or the Bigheaded East, you're a mid-major and you should be grateful for the chance to play anywhere in anything this time of year.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It was said on TV for the Indiana - Georgia Tech Game that 3- seed Indiana turned down the home game vs 6-seed Georgia Tech due to something already scheduled AR Assembly Hall. But several articles said the Indiana AD did not want the game on TV to show a small home crowd due to apathetic and unhappy Indiana fans would be televised and students were on spring break. They did not want fans booing Crean. So Indiana spent big money to give up the home game and the revenue that would have come with it plus the travel costs estimated at a total loss of $250k to Indiana tax payers. Some at Indiana want AD Glass gone asap, they are not happy with Indiana basketball.

http://albersangle.com/on-indiana-decli ... home-game/

Some on Cal massage board call him Gonzo Martin. His loss to Rod Barnes and Cal State Bakersfield was embarrassing especially when he is rumored to be going to Illinois or Missouri - this loss is not going to help his efforts to land those jobs. Losing to Cal Bakersfield and an 8th seed was not a good look even if Ivan Rabb sat out injured. Not a happy Cal crowd at the game. They were first four out and got one of the 4 automatic 1-seeds in the NIT.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

C'mon Ramster, do you really believe many senior-led/NCAA-bound players care about the NIT?
The NIT can be great as a stepping stone tournament, or something special if you didn't think you would even make that in January, but that is the goal for just about none of the teams playing.
So for Richmond, who probably wasn't even thinking about the NIT, forget the NCAA, heading into conference, it's an accomplishment to get there, but who else feels that way?
I watched portions of the Clemson/Oakland game before hitting the DVR for the NCAA games, night and day from an intensity standpoint. Looked like down the stretch they were basically forcing Clemson to stay on the court. I didn't watch the Cal game but I'm sure it was very much the same way. Does anyone think Rabb really cared about an NIT title before going pro? I'm sure he just wanted the games to end so he could start his draft prep.
Every year it's like this, of the top teams in the NIT, only a few ever seem to go deep.
There is always some small schools that stick out for huge upsets ... Off the top of my head, Ed Cooley's Fairfield team went to Colorado and won before he left for Providence. Kentucky got wacked at Robert Morris in a 1-8 game played on the RMU campus. SJU lost a few years ago to Robert Morris. as a 1 seed. St. Bonaventure lost to Wagner last year as a 1 seed.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:C'mon Ramster, do you really believe many senior-led/NCAA-bound players care about the NIT?
The NIT can be great as a stepping stone tournament, or something special if you didn't think you would even make that in January, but that is the goal for just about none of the teams playing.
So for Richmond, who probably wasn't even thinking about the NIT, forget the NCAA, heading into conference, it's an accomplishment to get there, but who else feels that way?
I watched portions of the Clemson/Oakland game before hitting the DVR for the NCAA games, night and day from an intensity standpoint. Looked like down the stretch they were basically forcing Clemson to stay on the court. I didn't watch the Cal game but I'm sure it was very much the same way. Does anyone think Rabb really cared about an NIT title before going pro? I'm sure he just wanted the games to end so he could start his draft prep.
Every year it's like this, of the top teams in the NIT, only a few ever seem to go deep.
There is always some small schools that stick out for huge upsets ... Off the top of my head, Ed Cooley's Fairfield team went to Colorado and won before he left for Providence. Kentucky got wacked at Robert Morris in a 1-8 game played on the RMU campus. SJU lost a few years ago to Robert Morris. as a 1 seed. St. Bonaventure lost to Wagner last year as a 1 seed.
RJ,
California -10.5 points over Cal Bakersfield playing at home - lost by 5
Alabama was -7 points over Richmond playing at home - lost by 7
Clemson was -10.5 points over Oakland playing at home - lost by 12

You can say the Majors don't care and the Mid Majors do so that is an excuse or reason to say the gap between the Majors and Mid Majors is still huge as the Point Spreads would indicate. Problem is the points spreads got destroyed.

If what you are saying is true, and these results do not surprise you, then Vegas Oddsmakers don't share your belief in their point spread settings, nor does the betting public that sets the point spreads. Sounds like you have the opportunity to make a ton of money.

You should bet the house tonight on:
- Belmont +6.5 at Georgia
- Akron +8.5 at Houston
- UNC Greensboro +12 @ Syracuse (whenever they play due to weather)
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Ramster, what's the excuse? When they put these point spreads together, there is no way to compensate for intensity and want. Some teams will show up, other's wont. It's the NIT. It's a second-rate tournament, you nor I know who values it versus who doesn't. But history shows that many top teams/their players don't value it. If I had to bet, NIT games aren't heavily bet as a result of this. They still have to put out spreads, but better confidence won't heavily shift spreads. The difference between you and I is that I am not going to extraopolate NIT data as some sort of indictment on the P5. NCAA performance may help do that.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Pouring water on the NIT is de facto objective of many sour grapes posters enroute to purported superior knowledge. The code word and dog whistle they use all the time is intensity. I put lots of emphasis on original thinking, not parroting a party line. To say some players are just going through the motions as a justification for losing is an insult to the hard working players on the teams that won despite being on an opponents' home court. Also, how can one say you don't know the values and then quickly state that "history shows that many top teams/their players don't value it". That is arrogance at its best. Keeping an open mind might help and it starts with a deeper understanding of the axiom "correlation doesn't imply causation".
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

This year’s NIT will also serve as a testing ground for some new NCAA basketball rules in attempt to speed up the game. The tournament will put the following changes in place — and if they’re deemed successful, they could be a part of the game in 2017-18 and beyond.

* Each half will be broken into two 10-minute segments.

* Team fouls reset at the end of each 10-minute segment.

* Teams can accrue four fouls per segment before going into the bonus. Each additional foul will result in the double bonus (two free throws).

* In overtime, the foul limit drops from four to three.

* When a dead-ball stoppage results in an inbound play from the possessing team’s front court, the shot clock will be reduced from 30 to 20 seconds.

If these experiments are adopted, it means the end of one and one foul shooting!
Last edited by Obadiah 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Ramster, what's the excuse? When they put these point spreads together, there is no way to compensate for intensity and want. Some teams will show up, other's wont. It's the NIT. It's a second-rate tournament, you nor I know who values it versus who doesn't. But history shows that many top teams/their players don't value it. If I had to bet, NIT games aren't heavily bet as a result of this. They still have to put out spreads, but better confidence won't heavily shift spreads. The difference between you and I is that I am not going to extraopolate NIT data as some sort of indictment on the P5. NCAA performance may help do that.
Of course NCAA performance matters more this week is the greatest week of the year with the play in, first round and second round NCAA games plus the NIT

I simply feel good about A10 member Richmond going to P5 SEC Alabama as 7 points dogs and beating them by 7

So much whining by California, Syracuse about not getting in plus Valvano's nonsense, plus being an A10 fan makes me want to see the P5 teams lose to mid majors.

I don't really care why, just see them lose.

I'm going to bet against the P5s a lot more because your view makes sense to me.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Obadiah wrote:Pouring water on the NIT is de facto objective of many sour grapes posters enroute to purported superior knowledge. The code word and dog whistle they use all the time is intensity. I put lots of emphasis on original thinking, not parroting a party line. To say some players are just going through the motions as a justification for losing is an insult to the hard working players on the teams that won despite being on an opponents' home court. Also, how can one say you don't know the values and then quickly state that "history shows that many top teams/their players don't value it". That is arrogance at its best. Keeping an open mind might help and it starts with a deeper understanding of the axiom "correlation doesn't imply causation".
Obadiah, some of what you say is true. But the reality is that in the NIT, there is always a few big upsets on a yearly basis, usually there is always one or two "automatic" 8-seed NIT qualifiers who pull the "big" upset and beat the #1 seed on their homecourt. But as a result, we may be excited for the team that won without trying to paint a bigger picture. I.E. - Kentucky played at Robert Morris in 2013, a game played at Robert Morris because Kentucky's home court was occupied. Robert Morris won a thrilling game, and many people were happy that they pulled said upset against a power team. But no one throught that Robert Morris was as good as Kentucky, or that the NEC was competitive with the SEC, just like last year, St. Bonaventure lost to Wagner in an 1-8 matchup, but no one was celebrating that Wagner and the NEC was competitive with the A10. There is a history there, where teams who feel like they should have made the tournament feel disrespected and fizzle out in the NIT, or they are seniors who didn't achieve their goal and simply fizzle in the NIT. You have to know that some of these teams just don't want to be there. It's not arrogance, just reality. It doesn't always mean that every team or every player doesn't want to be there, but it does make it hard to extrapolate data or comparisons. I can still be excited for the kids of Oakland while still acknowledging the accomplishment for what it was.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Obadiah wrote:This year’s NIT will also serve as a testing ground for some new NCAA basketball rules in attempt to speed up the game. The tournament will put the following changes in place — and if they’re deemed successful, they could be a part of the game in 2017-18 and beyond.

* Each half will be broken into two 10-minute segments.

* Team fouls reset at the end of each 10-minute segment.

* Teams can accrue four fouls per segment before going into the bonus. Each additional foul will result in the double bonus (two free throws).

* In overtime, the foul limit drops from four to three.

* When a dead-ball stoppage results in an inbound play from the possessing team’s front court, the shot clock will be reduced from 30 to 20 seconds.

If these experiments are adopted, it means the end of one and one foul shooting!
there is no hard stoppage at the 10 minute mark, it's at the first whistle under 10 minutes. From what I heard the biggest opponent to quarters is figuring out where the missing media time out would go. Right now you have U16, U12, U8, U4 but quarters would most likely be U5, End 1, U5
Last edited by twisted3829 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Two A10 Teams in action with home games Wednesday night in CBI:

George Mason was favored by 12 over Loyola Maryland (16-16) but lost by 15 points 73-58. Marquise Moore had no points on 0-7 FGs

George Washington was favored by 5.5 over Toledo and won by 4 points 73-69
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Would be cool for GW to win the CBI after winning the NIT last year.

They're getting good tournament practice.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

These NIT and CBI games are like some of those bad college football bowl games

You don't know which teams are motivated to be there
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Final 4 of NIT at MSG Tonight. No 1,2 or 3 seeds made it to the Final 4. California State @ Bakersfield is the first 8-Seed ever to make the Final 4.

First Game @ 7pm ESPN:
Georgia Tech was a 6-Seed. They defeated in order:
- 3-Seed Indiana
- 7-Seed Belmont (who upset 2-Seed Georgia at Georgia)
- 6-Seed Mississippi (who had upset 1-Seed Syracuse).

California State @ Bakersfield was a 8-Seed and is Coached by Rod Barnes. They defeated in order:
- 1-Seed California
- 4-Seed Colorado State
- 6-Seed University of Texas @ Arlington.

Second game @ 9pm ESPN:
University of Central Florida was a 4-Seed. They defeated in order:
- 6-Seed Colorado
- 1 Seed Illinois State
- 2 Seed Illinois

TCU was a 4 Seed. They defeated in order:
- 6-Seed Fresno State
- 1-Seed Iowa
- 6-Seed Richmond

Championship is Thursday Night @ 8 PM ESPN
0 x