The 2017-2018 Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: The 2017-2018 Season

Unread post by ace »

Not sure I did, either. I was looking to see how similar Akele's stats through two season are to Iverson's at Memphis (kind of similar, actually) and noticed it.

And, not to state the obvious, but if Garrett can shoot threes like he did during the "mask year," that's going to be a huge help. I don't know how the minutes are going to be distributed, but none of the other guards have ever shot 42%.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Akele's stroke is so minimal and pure. I have always thought he was a shooter.

Valpo he knocked down the first open look unconscious and then the next one he started to think.

His thing is he is a deadly 3 point shooter that is tall with a minimal stroke(quick release). Tough closeout when the big sags off or leaves him open. When he isn't doing that he is hurting the team because he doesn't do anything else to that level. Goes for any player that they need to contribute however they can out there and if not it is hurting. Some players like Hass Martin can effect the game multiple ways and if something isn't working then they can pick it up in other areas. Akele hasn't shown he does anything on the level of his shooting to me.

Same goes for Iverson. He could pick it up in other areas giving his shot or whatever was slacking a breather. Akele must become a stronger defender/rebounder. Which obviously should come with age. But he needs to always have maximum confidence in his shot.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote:Without looking, do you know who led the team in free throw and three-point percentage last year?

Small sample size, I know, but I'm not sure I would have guessed that. They knew Akele was a project when they signed him. Maybe this is the season it comes together a little bit more for him. He'll likely never be a physical force, but he is getting stronger and has the height to help with spacing.
Without looking, Akeke led the team in 3 point shooting, I think 44 percent. I'm not sure on FTs but I'll guess Akeke again at 82 percent
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

It was 40.7% and 78,3% FT.
Only 2.9 rebounds per game.
A finess player, not a banger.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

re: Akele, I think those numbers might be skewed by the fact that he was probably shooting almost all of the open or wide open, vs. contested shots for the team's main creators (EC, Terrell, Martin). Still, good that he's hitting them when open, vs. not hitting them at all.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That's what Akele needs to do just stand by the 3 point line and he will get open 3s when our guards penetrate
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Be sweet if Cyril can avg 10 rebs a game
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Another Langevine stat- as a freshman, he averaged 13.5 rebounds/40 minutes, which ranks 10th among returning players.
5 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

adam914 wrote:

His rebounding has been great. It has been his offense which was the problem as he had issues finishing around the basket. This issue was made worse with poor ft shooting. He did however appear to get better with scoring later in the season. I am hoping this upward trajectory continues. One must remember he was just a freshman.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Please save me the "not mid major" angst. The site has been very clear about why they cover who they cover. Anyway, what's interesting to me is how they have the top A10 teams ranked- Rhode Island, VCU, Dayton, St. Bonaventure, Saint Louis, Davidson, Saint Joseph's

http://www.midmajormadness.com/platform ... and-canyon
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RF1 wrote:
adam914 wrote:

His rebounding has been great. It has been his offense which was the problem as he had issues finishing around the basket. This issue was made worse with poor ft shooting. He did however appear to get better with scoring later in the season. I am hoping this upward trajectory continues. One must remember he was just a freshman.
yup, in fact its a little eerie how close Cyril's #s match up to Hassan's freshman numbers (not saying he's the next Hassan).

Cyril...............Hassan

13.2 min/g.......25.8min/g
3.3 ppg............6.3 ppg
4.5 rpg............5.7 rpg

per 40:

Cyril..............Hassan

9.9 ppg...........9.9 ppg
13.5 rpg..........8.8 rpg
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ace wrote:Please save me the "not mid major" angst. The site has been very clear about why they cover who they cover. Anyway, what's interesting to me is how they have the top A10 teams ranked- Rhode Island, VCU, Dayton, St. Bonaventure, Saint Louis, Davidson, Saint Joseph's

That feels pretty accurate. I can see St. Bonaventure anywhere from 2-4. VCU and Dayton are pretty similar to each other but I'd give the edge to VCU right now. I can see La Salle ahead of Davidson and St. Joe's.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

It's a guards league. If you have an established front court star then you have a leg up. Otherwise you are like everyone else wondering if your guards are the best and if your front court will develop. That's the A10.
Last edited by Seawrightspostgame 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Fairly significant news for VCU, I think- Philly native Samir Doughty is transferring out. He originally was a St. John's recruit, then signed at VCU with Wade but sat out his first year. There has to be a fairly significant reason to transfer, as he's likely giving up a year of eligibility. I imagine it will happen eventually, but it's kind of nice to think about URI's upcoming rosters each season without having to worry about transfers. Doughty averaged 9 points a game in 23 minutes as a freshman.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Get that mid-major bs off this site. That crap kills our perception and recruiting ability. That isn't an opinion, that's a fact.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
ace wrote:Please save me the "not mid major" angst. The site has been very clear about why they cover who they cover. Anyway, what's interesting to me is how they have the top A10 teams ranked- Rhode Island, VCU, Dayton, St. Bonaventure, Saint Louis, Davidson, Saint Joseph's

That feels pretty accurate. I can see St. Bonaventure anywhere from 2-4. VCU and Dayton are pretty similar to each other but I'd give the edge to VCU right now. I can see La Salle ahead of Davidson and St. Joe's.
St. Joe's has so many guys coming back from injury that I find them hard to project. I'd expect Newkirk back for conference play. La Salle loses Price but still has Johnson and Powell.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Mid major bs can't stand it

Gonzaga and St Mary's are pretty good Wichita State too it's all perception
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

CT Rhody wrote:Get that mid-major bs off this site. That crap kills our perception and recruiting ability. That isn't an opinion, that's a fact.
This is ridiculous. That site posts pretty decent articles about URI all the time, and they are pretty clear with how they define the teams that they cover.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Today is June 1st. When will we hear about a coaching change?
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ace wrote:Fairly significant news for VCU, I think- Philly native Samir Doughty is transferring out. He originally was a St. John's recruit, then signed at VCU with Wade but sat out his first year. There has to be a fairly significant reason to transfer, as he's likely giving up a year of eligibility. I imagine it will happen eventually, but it's kind of nice to think about URI's upcoming rosters each season without having to worry about transfers. Doughty averaged 9 points a game in 23 minutes as a freshman.
Looks like it was most likely academics or he got kicked off the team for another reason, I don't think it was his choice.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

CT Rhody wrote:Get that mid-major bs off this site. That crap kills our perception and recruiting ability. That isn't an opinion, that's a fact.
Do you have any names of recruits we lost out on because a website called us mid-major? Would be interesting to hear.
6 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The designation of Mid-Major would be more accurate and meaningful if they (not this site) actually didn't lump pretty much every conference/team that is not BCS or New BE in it. To me, if they insist on this terminology, the non BCS/New BE conferences and teams that are in the Top 10-12 conferences should be Mid-Major and everyone else (11+~) should be Low-Major. Pick your cut off...but, if you have High and Mid, you should have Low...
Last edited by RIFan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

It's tough to determine, but to me it's the big 5 plus BE. The AAC is interesting in that it's not listed but right now like it or not UConn Cinci and Memphis are mid majors. Tough pill to swallow for those Huskies
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

He's got a point. I wouldn't surprised if BCS folk consider any team with the "mid-major" tag to read similar to "triple A" or "d-league". It's not the same thing, but along the lines of "not legit". For example on the top 25 mid majors list, Whichita St. was removed because they joined the American, but Gonzaga remains? It's all BS but, to some people, it sticks around.
1 x
GO RAMS
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Does anyone know if there is anywhere I can watch Last years NCAA tourney games or any URI conference games online. All I have seen is the VCU and Duke games..

I switched from Verizon back to Cox a couple months ago so al my DVR stuff is gone. I generally like to rewatch games over the summer as I tend to get caught up watching live and notice much more later.
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

I've always felt the A-10, AAC, and WCC are above the rest of the mid-majors (MVC was with them before the loss of Creighton and Wichita St.). They're more like mid-high majors. There are about 8-10 true mid majors beneath them, and the rest are low majors.

I also suspect there will be more shuffling among these conferences over the next few years.
Last edited by Bigsnoop 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

EGram wrote:Does anyone know if there is anywhere I can watch Last years NCAA tourney games or any URI conference games online. All I have seen is the VCU and Duke games..

I switched from Verizon back to Cox a couple months ago so al my DVR stuff is gone. I generally like to rewatch games over the summer as I tend to get caught up watching live and notice much more later.
I can't help you, sorry, but I'll add my complaint that the Cincinnati game is no longer available. Those games used to stick around for a long time. I have most of the conference wins and the wins in the tournaments saved to watch again, but that second half of the Cincinnati game was one of my favorites of the season.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We are somewhere below the P5 and above the mid majors so whatever
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

the team, minus Stan and Daron...

1 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Good to see Preston with the team already
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yeah, Daron was busy last night and added another award to his many this year....Prom King.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Man I really hope Tertsea can help out this year. Dude is huge!

Love that they always volunteer at the Special Olympics to.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Daron's prom suit was one for the ages.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote:Daron's prom suit was one for the ages.

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Not pictured are the loafers with spikes coming out of them that he was rocking
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rothstein has us at 25. No mention of our new JUCO ...
https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/rothst ... y-edition/
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Preston looks shorter than I thought. Hope it's just the picture.
1 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

True he looks a couple inches shorter than Akele

Way to represent Fatts
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Preston looks the height I expected. Watching game tape he looked right around 6'6 maybe 6'7.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

same as hassan it looks, who was also shorter than akele
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Weird not seeing Hass, and Akele is def taller than 6'7
Last edited by Rhodymob05 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Tertsea definitely bulked up
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There's no doubt we have size.....but how good are they? Other than Cyril of course.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Does Tertsea have any skills ??
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

He must. He led his HS team in a tough league.

I wouldn't be surprised if this front court was dominant by the end if they all stick to the program.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Is it November yet? Sure feels like it.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Hopefully one of those ten days of practice before Europe will be open to the public, give all of us a chance to scratch the itch.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines