The 2017-2018 Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
mstyles22
Kenny Green

The 2017-2018 Season

Unread post by mstyles22 »

What?! Haha.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the HELL out of this run. But I'm still curious to know what some of you think about potential line-ups and what the roster might look like next season. If this is way too early to be discussing and you think I'm taking away from the enjoyment of the present, then don't respond and this thread will get buried until a later date.

Anyway, here are some quick thoughts...

- How do we replace the inside play and rebounding of Hass and KI? I know players of their caliber don't grow on trees, but do we potentially change our approach next season and go small? Langevine can certainly rebound and I'm confident that his offensive game will develop, but I don't think we can realistically rely on Tertsea and Layssard contributing much in OOC. I hope I'm wrong.

- Do that same point, does Berry get significant minutes next year or will he still be a deep bench guy?

- Nikola will certainly get minutes but IMO he slots as more of a stretch player than a post player. It suits his game better, but I think he can be that guy in the high post that we run plays through as we saw a little bit this weekend.

- I really like that we have so many guys that can handle the ball well (Dowtin, Jarvis, EC, JT, Stan, Fats) and we can probably get creative a try a few different lineup combos. At the very least, it'll be another deep bench which suit us wonderfully this weekend.

- I've asked this before so humor me again: What happens with CT? I really hope he doesn't transfer but he'll be buried on the bench again. Not that I think he should because his defensive skills and catch and shoot skills are solid. He's also a guy that can probably be penciled in to start his senior year if he sticks around, so I hope he does.

- I'm probably being optimistic, but I think Jarvis comes back next year and has an all A-10 type season.

- If we can get even an Earl Watson-type transfer...I'd be thrilled.

Would love to hear some other thoughts.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The 2017-2018 Season

Unread post by Blue Man »

I think the next week (or hopefully more) will have a great impact on the quality of juco/transfer big that we can get.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote:I think the next week (or hopefully more) will have a great impact on the quality of juco/transfer big that we can get.
This will be the answer to all questions about the lineup next year I think. If we get a juco or transfer big that can play right away then it changes the whole outlook in terms of lineup/rotation.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......great topic......but I will have to wait until the current joyous atmosphere, deservenling so, dies down to read my tea leaves for next year.....
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

My problem with next year is simple.
We have Laysard, who wasted an entire year of
eligibility to play a few garbage time minutes.
You have Tertsea, who red-shirted.
ARD told someone this is a "big summer" for Laysard.
How much will they contribute? Who knows?
Also, if Hurley brings in a juco big, will
that guy play anymore than the guys he
recruited last year?
Akele should step up in a more key role.
He's a finess player, not a power guy,
I'd love to see us get a scoring forward.
We've not had one since Delroy James.
The back-court is set.
I can see Christion Thompson transferring.
He has talent, but will he ever find minutes here?
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

did you say EC can handle the ball well???
Based on what we have now, Nicola stepping in for KI and CL stepping in for Hass is very scary. I like CL but he can not get in foul trouble 10 seconds from the tip off next season.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I'm going to pass on this until the season is over.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Christion would have to get good minutes by the time he's a senior.
I'd feel more comfortable by then if he were still on the team as opposed to a bunch of freshmen.

If we get a juco big then I could see Andre Berry leavingZ

As it is, it's looking like we have the biggest talent differential between the front and backcourt I've ever seen.

With that though, we'd have to look very attractive for some high rated big to come in and play in a starting role since we return so much talent in the backcourt and could use some help in the front court.
Last edited by PeterRamTime 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

I'll keep it simple...

- I feel infinitely better about next years team if we can snag Shakur Julston.
- i think CT stays. Despite Dowtin and Fatts, he knows he'll be a leader post Terrell and EC
- I think Fatts wins A10 ROY. kid just looks like a true steal for us.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

There is definitely a log jam with all the guards

If CT transfers I couldn't really blame him

We are going to need another big guy to play alongside CL
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....OK, now we can kick this around a bit; as posted already are the unknowns of the front court players, and the many backcourt players which all seemed to have demonstrated their claim to major minutes, Fatts coming here to learn the college level game, learning the defense first philosophy, getting minutes to see how quickly he develops; any transfers?.....the OOC schedule will be interesting to see how that gets filled in, would like to see a continuation of a challenging schedule.....I would have liked to have seen even a few more meaningful minutes from Laysard, CL has clearly demonstrated rebounding and some offensive moves, which if further developed will be a major force.....other scoring from the front court is unknown....with all this and more, see Rhody projected to be competing for the Championship of the A-10 again.....team making the biggest jump in conference, trendy pick is The Billikens....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We should be an NCAAT level team again yes. If we can add another player [big] or 2 that can help us right away, then I would say we will be.

A capable stretch 4 would be awesome.

We will have more than a few needs for 2018-19 though. Huge class needed.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

My confidence in the team next season is sky high. We just should've beaten Oregon to make the Sweet 16...without Hass

Big thing is the kids. Cyril and Dowtin progressed this year similar to how EC and Hass did as freshmen. the onions Dowtin has as a freshman, no stage is too big for him and he has that ice cold killer instinct to him.

Cyril already has the body of a senior and became a force on D and the boards. Cant imagine him after ARD gets an offseason to work on offense and he continues to bulk up.

Plus adding what looks to be a recruiting gem in Fatts.

If they can somehow convince Juiston to come here, watch out...that should be a repeat A10 title.
1 x
---
---
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

^ this post touches on it

Certainly losing Hass and KI is going to be tough. BUT I do think there's something to the fact that the majority of this team just had the experience of a lifetime. I imagine come November these guys are going to be even more gritty, hungry, and tough -- I think we're going to see a tenacious team out of the gate next year.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

And less pressure from the weight of 18yrs of frustration and futility. The team knows how to win the big games now. It's gonna be fun. Get your season tix now!
9 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I'm interested in tertsea, a full year to grow and develop with Marshall and ARD. Can see him being this year's Langevine
3 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

twisted3829 wrote:I'm interested in tertsea, a full year to grow and develop with Marshall and ARD. Can see him being this year's Langevine
Agreed, I think people are forgetting about him. Seeing him around the rest of the guys you can tell he is our biggest guy easily. Has had a full year in the program already and I think he'll be able to contribute off the bench next year. He doesn't need to score, just grab some boards and play solid D.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Martyf250
Marc Upshaw

Re: NCAA Tournament Impact on Rhody Men's Basketball Program

Unread post by Martyf250 »

A lot of people are mentioning that we need a big man to replace Hass next year. What is the deal with Tertsea? Any indication he could have an impact?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Personally I'm confident in those 3 being contributors with a really experienced group of senior guards. They just have to execute their roles.

But ideally you would like to add a starter quality big guy that is better than all 3. Teams do it.

I wonder what the story is on Michael Gilmore from VCU that transferred to Miami and was dismissed by Miami. He would have sat out the year and ready to play. Anybody of that skill level or better.

How about Jordan Hare. He must have really grown into his body by now.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Martyf250 wrote:A lot of people are mentioning that we need a big man to replace Hass next year. What is the deal with Tertsea? Any indication he could have an impact?
We need someone at the 4 to replace KI. CL will start at the 5.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:I'm interested in tertsea, a full year to grow and develop with Marshall and ARD. Can see him being this year's Langevine
Agreed, I think people are forgetting about him. Seeing him around the rest of the guys you can tell he is our biggest guy easily. Has had a full year in the program already and I think he'll be able to contribute off the bench next year. He doesn't need to score, just grab some boards and play solid D.
Tertsea also looks like he's been getting bigger as the year goes on.

One good juco big is really all we need.

Cyril, Akele, Mike, Mike and Andre should do the trick because they all will likely be better.

If we do get the Juco big or grad transfer then I think Andre will move on somewhere. Cant see him staying with all that depth and he can't play defense at the level Dan wants.

Would hate to see CT transfer, I think we could really need him for 18/19.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm thinking Berry could leave.....he could get some minutes at a lower level......

CT should stay imo. He can shoot.....and maybe his health was a reason he didn't play much down the stretch.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Berry's going to be a senior, will he really be in a good position to transfer and sit out a year to play a year?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

true, RR2.....
0 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Big questions for the rotation next year. Let's start with the bad news, is one of the potential starters for next year even on the team yet? Can we really go with a combo of Jarvis/Jeff, 3 guards (EC, JT and Stan) and CL? Does Akele slide into that spot simply because he's taller with Stan coming off the bench?

How aggressive (or not) Rhody gets involved in the JUCO game will be a great indicator of how the coaching staff feels about the development of Layssard and Tertsea. I also half expect an attempt to wean Berry into the rotation during some of the early OOC softies.

Now for the good problem: guard depth. EC and JT are locked in as starters. I'm very curious to see how they handle Jarvis and Dowtin. Is Dowtin now the default starter? He's certainly earned it. His ability to play the #2 means we could be seeing them on the court at the same time.

Stan - Is he a super sub? A 25+ minute guy coming off the bench? Or do we go small and he gets the starting nod?

CT - If you're reading this PLEASE stick around for your senior year. Haha
0 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Also, my early bold prediction for next year is for Terrell to be in the A-10 POY conversation as much as, if not more than EC.
2 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

ATPTourFan wrote:And less pressure from the weight of 18yrs of frustration and futility. The team knows how to win the big games now. It's gonna be fun. Get your season tix now!

This.

I think this is the 'X' factor. Dan is looser (for him anyway hehe), the kids will be more confident, and we have crazy-good guards who now have NCAA tourney experience.

They might actually come out and have FUN playing, finally!
2 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

The NCAA average per year for transfers is 2.5

We aren't left out on this projection. Don't forget another guard who happened to be lesser of a player than CT was here... remember Matt Butler? I wouldn't be surprised inf the "illness" CT had as the NCAAs rolled around was the fact he informed DH he'd like to have his release. If I was Berry I would look to move on as well. He's shown that he can play and be serviceable in the paint... say for a NEC or MAAC school. He's never going to have A10 athleticism. This gives us 4 to 5 scholarships for the 2018 class... which in case no one is paying attention has a certain young man with the last name of Martin... also a certain young man with the last name of Swider and others... we need to wrap Hass' little bro up before this summer IMO. Swider will be more difficult.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I've heard Tertsea is already ready to play D at this level, it's his offense that will be a project. I am sure we will try to find a Juco or Grad 4/5 that can come in and contribute right away. The exposure we just got makes us a compelling destination.
2 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

I believe we are 1 "big" away from where we ended up this year. Have to get that big who is ready to contribute from the start and be a starter by A10 season. A wing scorer added would potentially propel us even further than we got this year. That might be harder to fill than the big though.

Transfers - I think CT is gone (mutual decision as he was very disinterested in playing in garbage time there at the end). That wing scorer would come in nicely for that scholarship. What will happen with Jarvis and Jeff? Will a healthy and confident Jarvis want to come off the bench? Hope he stays because if he is healthy and confident he could really help this team as a spark off the bench for 15-20 mins.

Can't wait for the signing period to start.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Several guys that we're recruiting if anybody wants to check them out. I posted this in recruiting, but wanted others to see it if they don't visit the recruiting section much. Most are '18s and some '19s.

0 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Heres an interesting tidbit coming into next year.
Look for EC to move close to the top of the all time scoring list.
He's at 1,509 right now which is 15th all time in Rhody history.

If he scores at least 410 he will be second all time eclipsing Tyson at 1,918

Carlton Owens is tops with 2,114.

Don't see him reaching Silk, but as long as he's healthy he will in all likelyhood leave URI as the second leading all time scorer....
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

PeterRamTime wrote:Heres an interesting tidbit coming into next year.

Don't see him reaching Silk, but as long as he's healthy he will in all likelyhood leave URI as the second leading all time scorer....
some quick math...assuming a 35 game schedule, he needs 17.2 ppg to end up in a tie with Silk.

15ppg next year - 2,034 career
16ppg next year - 2,069 career
17ppg next year - 2,104 career
1 x
---
---
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think the NCAA schools should move from total points, to points per game.
Freshmen didn't play until the mid 70's, and most teams only played
a standard 26 game schedule.
There were no post season conference tournaments, and only 32 teams
made the NCAAs, so there were far less games.
Also, figure in the 3 point rule. as another thing skewing point totals.
Here's a list of our all time points per game players in a career.
Notice none is close to any of the top career point scorers, because
they simply played far fewer games.
Only Sly and Leslie played in the 3 point era.

Career
22.6, Bill Von Weyhe, 1955-57
22.4, John Fultz, 1969-70
21.8, Steve Chubin, 1961-65
21.1, Dennis McGovern, 1963-65
20.9, Sly Williams, 1976-79
20.4, Art Stephenson, 1966-68
20.1, Ronnie Marozzi, 1955-58
19.3, Eric Leslie, 1988-91
18.9, Bill Baird, 1950-53
18.6, Steve Rowell, 1970-73
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Fans should appreciate both and understand the differences.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:Heres an interesting tidbit coming into next year.

some quick math...assuming a 35 game schedule, he needs 17.2 ppg to end up in a tie with Silk.

15ppg next year - 2,034 career
16ppg next year - 2,069 career
17ppg next year - 2,104 career
Well another A10 title and NCAA run could make that a little easier :-D
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"Fans should appreciate both and understand the differences."-TP

I highly doubt most fans do. Especially the younger ones who
don't realize there was a time when freshmen didn't play,
there were no conference tournaments, and no 3 point shot.
I haven't heard one announcer mention career ppg., just career point totals.
I love that Pete Maravich got 3,667 points and 44.2 ppg. in 3 years
and no 3 point shot.
Somebody went back over all his games and figured
he'd have averaged 58 ppg. with the 3 point rule.
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rodfromcranston wrote:"Fans should appreciate both and understand the differences."-TP

and no 3 point shot.
Maybe more ... with his range he probably would've attempted more 3 pointers if he had the opportunity. Pistol Pete was legendary.
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rodfromcranston wrote:"Fans should appreciate both and understand the differences."-TP

and no 3 point shot.
I agree, Rod. Luckily I have my dad who never neglects to bring up Steve Chubin (among others) in any conversation about Ram greats. Luckily the posters here have you and Neil and other unofficial historians of the program to remind and educate. It is important to know the history.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

EC was a third team A-10 player this year. I'm more excited to see him make the jump to a first team A-10 player than move up the scoring list. During this run, we saw the difference it makes when he's healthy and playing at a high level. Next year, we need him to be more of an all around player, not just a scorer. If we play more four guard lineups next year, we'll need him to rebound and be able to defend down low. Plus with iverson gone, we lose a guy with excellent court vision which is an area in which EC can improve.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

If we had a kid averaging 24 points there would be 3/4 of this board complaining that he is selfish and shoots too much.

I personally prefer to see somebody score against all odds over and over again.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

mstyles22 wrote:Now for the good problem: guard depth. EC and JT are locked in as starters. I'm very curious to see how they handle Jarvis and Dowtin. Is Dowtin now the default starter? He's certainly earned it. His ability to play the #2 means we could be seeing them on the court at the same time.

Stan - Is he a super sub? A 25+ minute guy coming off the bench? Or do we go small and he gets the starting nod?

CT - If you're reading this PLEASE stick around for your senior year. Haha
I think people are too quick to anoint Dowtin the default starter. Looking at just A10 play, while Dowtin averaged 7.5 more minutes per game, he only averaged .1 points per game more, .5 rebounds more, .5 assists more, .1 steals more, and .1 blocks more. Garrett had a healthy edge in every shooting percentage category. The difference between the two was microscopic and I bet if you make the minutes even Garrett takes the lead in many categories he trailed in. I think people didn't realize how much better Garrett got in the second half once he regained his health. While Dowtin should improve going into next year, so should Garrett with his health under control. I expect it to be a fierce battle to see who gets more minutes, and as excited as I am about Fatts, I'm not sure where his minutes come from next year if everyone's healthy.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agree on Fatts, people need to temper expectations. He is small, he is a freshman, and we are stacked in the back court. 10-15 minutes a game by the time we get to conference play may be realistic.

In terms of Dowtin not sure the stats comparison is the best way to measure his effectiveness. He has shown a higher IQ on the court than anyone else on the team. His length bothers people on D. And even though he is unorthodox, IMO his best position is PG. With Jarvis back to full strength it will be an awesome 1-2 punch at that position regardless of who starts.
Last edited by bigappleram 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

i would go with Dowtin mainly because his length on defense. Garrett may be just as good as an on ball defender but Dowtin gets through screens easier and is better able to switch on screens. But no reason they both can't be on the floor together.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yea, unless another sickness or injury happens, I don't see Fatts getting much playing time at all.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Dowtin and Garrett can match up defensively with bigger guards and smaller, quicker guards respectively. Nice to have that option. It might be tough to have both Jarvis and Fatts on the floor together though.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Recruitment threads are all I'm interested in now.
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Not sure where to place this but Ryan Fazekas just announced he was leaving PC. Friar fans feel ok about it because they believe its just a matter of time before EC announces he will do his post grad year on beautiful Smith Street.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea I'm sure he's attracted to the gun shots and ambulance sirens at Pc parties.
1 x
GO RAMS