The 2017-2018 Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Re: The 2017-2018 Season

Unread post by rhodylaw »

The game is moving to small ball - if our shooting percentages continue to increase we will be very good next year. Big guards like we have can rebound, rebounding is the result of mentality more than physicality.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Yup! Those tiny teams from UNC and Gonzaga,
along with Oregon and USC.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don't think the game is going in either direction...different strokes for different folks.
I'm sure DH would like a Jordan Bell right now, but who wouldn't.
I am not seeing Akele as a starter on next year's team.
Regardless, DH mentioned that he was going to speak to his friend Jay Wright, I'm ok with that.
2 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

rhodylaw wrote:The game is moving to small ball - if our shooting percentages continue to increase we will be very good next year. Big guards like we have can rebound, rebounding is the result of mentality more than physicality.

There's nothing extraordinary about the height of our guards. EC is the tallest at 6-5 and while he's become a pretty good rebounder, especially at the end of last season, he'll have match-up problems on defense playing forwards. The same for Robinson and Thompson at just 6-4. Strong guards such as Terrell might be able to occasionally defend a 6-7, 6-8 forward on a switch, but not for an entire game.

We may beat teams like Brown and Holy Cross playing 4 guards and Langevine but I don't think we're going to beat prospective NCAA teams like Virginia, Vanderbilt, Seton Hall or Alabama playing small ball with 4 guards and a relatively small (6-8) and somewhat foul prone big man.

We've got to get meaningful contributions from some combination of Berry, Akele, Layssard and Tertsea to win Top-100 rpi games both OOC and in the A10 to get back to the tournament
Last edited by reckless jake 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

EC is not 6'5, Stan and Thompson aren't 6'4.
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe Laysard or Tertsea will come on strong ??
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Yup! Those tiny teams from UNC and Gonzaga,
Since when did we become a final four contender? Lots of teams go pretty far in the tourney without great bigs, or a lot of bigs, hey some even win it playing with four guards (Nova). Rebounding is not a priority in today's game, shot making is. Increase shooting percentages by having good shooters on the floor and we will do very well next year. Play guys because they fit a "traditional mode" but aren't the best player and we will not go as far.

I have more confidence this year that DH will play the matchups appropriately as he seemed to grow as a coach last year.
1 x
reckless jake
ARD

rhodylaw wrote:
Since when did we become a final four contender? Lots of teams go pretty far in the tourney without great bigs, or a lot of bigs, hey some even win it playing with four guards (Nova). Rebounding is not a priority in today's game, shot making is. Increase shooting percentages by having good shooters on the floor and we will do very well next year. Play guys because they fit a "traditional mode" but aren't the best player and we will not go as far.

I have more confidence this year that DH will play the matchups appropriately as he seemed to grow as a coach last year.

Good points on shooting percentages; there's no question a hot-shooting team can be difficult to beat on the nights they're "on". But games are typically won or lost on front court.match-ups. It may be "traditional mode" basketball, but you have to be able to rebound the ball to win.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote:

Did you just say rebounding is not a priority?

Try telling that to Dan Hurley and ask him about rebounding when we let Oregon get two offensive rebounds on back to back missed shots, which led to Dorsey's first dagger three.

Then, ask Dana Altman about rebounding when UNC missed FOUR straight free throws at the end of the game, only to get the offensive rebounds.

Yea, rebounding isn't a priority...
3 x
Go Rhody
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's not like we have Steph Curry and Klay Thompson shooting 3's.
We don't have any guards over 43% FG or 35% from 3.
Those missed shots mean rebounds.
Akele at the 4? Langevine is foul prone.
So, Hurley's going to play 5 guards at times?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rodfromcranston wrote:It's not like we have Steph Curry and Klay Thompson shooting 3's.
We don't have any guards over 43% FG or 35% from 3.
Those missed shots mean rebounds.
Akele at the 4? Langevine is foul prone.
So, Hurley's going to play 5 guards at times?
Don't worry Rod CT can start at the 5 and we don't have to stress about rebounding.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

How anybody can think we don't need another big who can play........imo it could make the difference between another NCAAT bid or not.
3 x
reckless jake
ARD

rambone 78 wrote:How anybody can think we don't need another big who can play........imo it could make the difference between another NCAAT bid or not.
Definitely agree. Based on last season's performance of our 5 frontcourt returnees we need an impact big who can step-in and contribute immediately, especially rebounding and physical presence around the rim, if we are going to return to the NCAA's.

But, is there anyone left out there who fits that profile? I'm not sure there is at this late date.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The staff was hoping to get a visit yesterday from a 5th year big.....don't know if it happened or not.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

What about that big guy from Europe that we were recruiting? I think he was from Italy? And I'm not talking about the invisible guy either. I think this one was real.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote:rebounding is the result of mentality more than physicality.
Can we start a quote wall and make this the first quote.
My thoughts about how ridiculous this comment is:
At 6-8 I know (mentally) that I can outrebound a 6-4 guard.
How many Sweet 16 teams started at least two players 6-7 or taller?
How many A10 teams started four guards?
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote:
hey some even win it playing with four guards (Nova). Rebounding is not a priority in today's game.
Villanova started two forwards and three guards. Their starting line up
6-9 F
6-6 F Kris Jenkins
6-7 G
6-6 G
6-3 G
Jenkins weighs 235 - not a guard.

Your proposed URI line up
6-8 Langevine
6-5 EC
6-4 Robinson
6-3 Terrell
6-0 Garrett or 6-3 Dowtin (170 lbs wet)

And on our bench will be 6-10, 6-8, 6-8, 6-8.
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Rebounding can be crushing.

Iverson and Martin were at times exceptional on the boards.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote:
rhodylaw wrote:
hey some even win it playing with four guards (Nova). Rebounding is not a priority in today's game.
Villanova started two forwards and three guards. Their starting line up
6-9 F
6-6 F Kris Jenkins
6-7 G
6-6 G
6-3 G
Jenkins weighs 235 - not a guard.

Your proposed URI line up
6-8 Langevine
6-5 EC
6-4 Robinson
6-3 Terrell
6-0 Garrett or 6-3 Dowtin (170 lbs wet)

And on our bench will be 6-10, 6-8, 6-8, 6-8.
1. Show me a better lineup with the guys on the team now, unless one of the bigs step up.

2. Show me a lineup in the A10 that could stop that starting 5 - not to mention you have Fatts and Dowtin coming off the bench.

3. You don't need to believe me that rebounding is significantly de-emphasized in today's game, you can just listen to Danny Ainge every time he talks on the subject. If it isn't working in a particular game, or points in a game you can sub in some height from the bench.

It would have been great to add an Iverson like player to our team, but absent that we don't need a guy to fill space and grab boards to win games. We need our guards to shoot better. We went 6-22 on threes against Oregon. 2 more threes go down for a modest shooting percentage and we win that game. I for one would love to have a bunch of 6'7" to 7" guys on the team that can shoot, score and rebound but we don't. All I am saying is we should play to the strength of the team which is clearly the guards.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

EC is not 6'5 and Stan is not 6'4. I don't understand how many times that needs to be said.
1 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Their listed heights are "sneaker" height......barefoot they are between 1 and 2 inches shorter.....happens everywhere.

I'm 6'3' barefoot and 6'4 and a half in sneakers...and standing next to EC I'm almost exactly as tall.

My vertical is a little less though.......
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

The staff said, getting another wing or big was a priority this off-season so let's stop pretending that we don't need one anymore. It's important and rebounding is important.

Nova had a 6'9" center and a 6'6" 4 who was huge and played much bigger than that. EC and JT are guards and play like guards.

I'm all for 4 guard lineups sometimes, but it can't be our only option. I'm sure we will be fine in a very down A10 but I'd love to win two games in the NCAA tournament this year. At this point I don't think we are landing anyone so I'm just hoping ML or MT breakout. We need it
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhody83 wrote:
rhodylaw wrote:rebounding is the result of mentality more than physicality.
How many Sweet 16 teams started at least two players 6-7 or taller?
15 out of 16.
The lone exception was Xavier.
They went 6'4-6'5-6'6-6'6-6'9.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sorry, but the idea that rebounds are insignificant in today's game,
is positively ludicrous.
The idea of playing 4 guards, none of whom is a knock down
shooter, and expecting to do anything OOC or in the NCAAs,
is also preposterous.
Guess you didn't watch the Celtics get destroyed on the boards
the last two games, against the might Wizards?
Guess what? No rebounding, no winning. Period.
5 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Some people just don't get it, Rod. They will find out soon enough if we don't get another big to help next season, or if MT and ML aren't much help.

Berry also. Dan said recently that Berry and ML will play a lot more next season...they have to....since MT still isn't ready.

If those 2 have improved, we might be OK....but how confident are we of that?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Another thing that will hurt us, is if we have no inside scoring threats, opponents will pressure the perimeter more, making it harder to get open looks from outside.......and we will get a lot of one and dones [meaning less offensive rebounds due to lack of size]

And if we don't have good enough interior D [other than Cyril] opponents will take it inside on us all night. Berry and Layssard are not exactly good defenders.

Now having said this, we aren't exactly chopped liver of course....but teams that have big and skilled frontcourts will tap dance all over us as things stand now....not in the A10 but OOC and post season......Dan and the staff seemed to have whiffed on 2 of the 3 bigs they brought in last season.....maybe ML will become good but he needs to be good THIS coming season, which may be asking too much too soon.
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

If we play Berry and/or Layssard at the 4 I think we will be playing a lot of zone to cover their lack of quickness
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

If we play Berry and/or Layssard at the 4 I think we will be playing a lot of zone to cover their lack of quickness
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cyril will be a glass eater for us. I definitely think he can lead the conf in boards
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Some people just don't get it, Rod. They will find out soon enough if we don't get another big to help next season, or if MT and ML aren't much help.
Berry also. Dan said recently that Berry and ML will play a lot more next season...they have to....since MT still isn't ready.
Can't understate the value of Big Men on the 17-18 team:
This past year URI ranked 3rd in blocked shots per game with our NCAA opponent Oregon ranked 2nd - this out of 351 teams
In % of Shots Blocked URI Ranked #1 of 351 teams with 11.0% of shots taken by the opponent blocked. Oregon was ranked 3rd.
Opponent Effective FG% URI ranked 9th @ 45.1%
Opponent 3PFG% URI ranked 5th @ 29.5%
So consider we blocked a Nation Leading 11.0% of opponents shots and then even when they did get the shot off the opponents shot poorly to boot at only 45.1% for 9th defensively in the nation then those are tough statistics to match - a great goal for 2017-18 though

Have to wonder how much the play of Martin, Iverson and Langevine helped the Guards to take more chances defensively, play out to the 3 pt line aggressively knowing if their man got by them we had one of the best shot blocking tandems in the Nation waiting for them.

When it is said Langevine can fill in for Martin - which are huge shoes to fill, we still have two key Big Men slots to fill. Of course Iverson but also we need to fill Langevine's spot being the 1st big man off the bench. Langevine played a lot of minutes due to injuries to Martin and Iverson at times but also whenever they got into foul trouble.

Iverson improved as the season progressed and played a huge role in the Cincinnati win and many wins in Conference League and Tournament play and in the NCAA Tournament games.
But I remember some saying they thought Iverson should not be in the starting line up in the first half of the season. They thought he should come off the bench. Point is Iverson exceeded the expectations of many.
Between Berry, Layssard, Tertsea and Akekel someone needs to step up and grab the 2nd Big Man role and someone needs to grab the 1st Big Man off the bench role.

Unknowns for sure, but Iverson and Langevine were somewhat of unknowns at this time a year ago too.
2 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ramster wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Some people just don't get it, Rod. They will find out soon enough if we don't get another big to help next season, or if MT and ML aren't much help.
Iverson improved as the season progressed and played a huge role in the Cincinnati win and many wins in Conference League and Tournament play and in the NCAA Tournament games.
But I remember some saying they thought Iverson should not be in the starting line up in the first half of the season. They thought he should come off the bench. Point is Iverson exceeded the expectations of many.
Between Berry, Layssard, Tertsea and Akekel someone needs to step up and grab the 2nd Big Man role and someone needs to grab the 1st Big Man off the bench role.

Unknowns for sure, but Iverson and Langevine were somewhat of unknowns at this time a year ago too.
Don't forget about Akele's minutes off the bench as well, if he ends up starting as our second big man then someone will need to replace his minutes from last year. Akele and Langevine combined for just under 26 minutes a game. It's not likely only one big man off the bench will replace all those minutes.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

How do you figure Langevine lacks quickness?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree with Ramster's great post, 100%!
Floor balance and interior offense and defense
is vital to winning basketball on any level.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:
ramster wrote:

Don't forget about Akele's minutes off the bench as well, if he ends up starting as our second big man then someone will need to replace his minutes from last year. Akele and Langevine combined for just under 26 minutes a game. It's not likely only one big man off the bench will replace all those minutes.
For sure. I think all agree that Langevine will be in one starting spot. With Iverson gone and Martin gone then it's all trickle down:

Last Year we had 6 Big Men with 2 Starters and the other 4 in order of Playing Time:
Starter - Iverson
Starter - Martin
3- Langevine
4- Akele
5- Berry
6- Layssard

This Year we have 5 Big Men with 1 consensus Starter and the other 4 in a battle for the other Starting Spot plus an upcoming battle for Playing time. The summer games in Paris and London will be an ideal opportunity for sorting this out. Of course there will be guards battling for Playing time and they may have something to say about the open Big Man Starting spot and playing time. Personally I don't like the idea of playing 4 guards, 3 is plenty.
Starter - Langevine
2 - Akele
3 - Berry
4 - Layssard
5 - Tertsea
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I still think either the 5th starter or the 1st big off the bench isn't on the team yet.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I kind of hope you are right Billyboy because that would mean they added a player better than they have now. I think
if akele can add some strength over the summer he could be what is needed in the front court as a starter. I don't
think he has yet shown what type of scorer he can be with some weight added and the confidence to look for his shot more often.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Barring any last minute changes, here's the 17-18 roster by class:

Andre Berry
Jarvis Garrett
E.C. Matthews
Stanford Robinson
Jared Terrell

Nicola Akele
Ryan Preston
Christion Thompson

Jeff Dowtin
Cyril Langevine
Mike Layssard

Daron Russell
Michael Tertsea
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If Andre wants to play, I would hope he would consider going to a Division 2 school. I think he could thrive there. If he did, we could maybe sign Toppin too. That would also balance off the classes to 4-3-3-3. We would then have 5 C/F types coming back next year and could really hone in on recruiting impact guards for the '18 class. That being said, I don't want anybody to leave unless they want to.
1 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

THE CBS PRESEASON BASKETBALL POLL LISTS ARIZONA & KANSAS AS 1-2;RHODY IS LISTED AS # 26
1 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

So I went back to watching our final games of the season and a few things stuck out for me.

We need a guy with decent length and shooting ability to pop up to the foul line to defeat zones. Perhaps Kurans biggest asset was his ability to excel in this role down the stretch after zones had often vexed us for years. In the A-10 title game they came out in a 1-3-1 zone and abandoned it within the first 5 minutes since Kuran just shredded it.

Who will take up this role next year? personally I think Akele is the most likely player and I expect him to have a bigger role than most people. Preston and Layssard would also seem to be options and if none of the big guys are proficient I think Robison could be an option.

Expect to see more pick and role and offensive sets built around Cyrils screens. When Cyril came in towards the end of the first half vs VCU we ran 5 consecutive high pick and rolls between him and Dowtin or EC. Hassan is a Rhody legend but his ability to set screen was mediocre. His positioning could be off and at times he lacked aggressiveness. Hurley clearly felt the same way as the percent of Pick and Rolls go way up when Cyril came in for Hassan. I counted the first ten offensive possessions vs VCU with Cyril on the court and the offense ran through a Langevine screen in all but one of them.

Personally I think this has the potential to really unlock our offense as having a high quality screening big man who excels at crashing towards the hoop creates space and generally gives our scorers more freedom to move around.
Last edited by EGram 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Good ideas/insight
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Good stuff Egram
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I wonder how much EC, JT, and Robinson push each other in workouts because they are all similar. They can really get physical with each other.

I hope/expect them to really take a huge step forward.
Last edited by Seawrightspostgame 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I wonder how much EC, JT, and Robinson push each other in workouts because they are all similar. They can really get physical with each other.

At least when I looked at it a couple years ago, it was actually kind of rare for players to take a big jump from their junior to senior season. It happens, but it's less likely than you'd expect because they've usually already been making incremental gains for a couple years. EC might defy that, because he basically missed a year of development with his injury, but I'd expect Dotwin and Cyril to improve the most from 16-17 to 17-18.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Saw several members of the team out for what appeared to be a jog on Tuesday. They were in the fields along Plains Road west of the softball field.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Do we know when their trip is yet?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

SGreenwell wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:I wonder how much EC, JT, and Robinson push each other in workouts because they are all similar. They can really get physical with each other.

At least when I looked at it a couple years ago, it was actually kind of rare for players to take a big jump from their junior to senior season. It happens, but it's less likely than you'd expect because they've usually already been making incremental gains for a couple years. EC might defy that, because he basically missed a year of development with his injury, but I'd expect Dotwin and Cyril to improve the most from 16-17 to 17-18.
Yeah I suppose big jump must be defined. Just looking at EC coming back from the injury and Stan coming off of his first year back from transferring I assumed the rust is dusted off. And maybe not anything new but more of what we saw from them at the end of the year. Jared's offensive game to me was much better than his sophomore year during this past year. He can really settle into that rhythm. I don't think the year of seasoning will translate individually in statistics except for maybe percentages being higher, but in WINS. I expect them to be more in control of the games more often than last year (less Valpos/Houstons).

I understand looking for comps, but I can think of several players that came back markedly better than their junior years.

Absolutely expect big things from Dowtin and Cyril.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:Do we know when their trip is yet?
August 7-16
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Without looking, do you know who led the team in free throw and three-point percentage last year?

Small sample size, I know, but I'm not sure I would have guessed that. They knew Akele was a project when they signed him. Maybe this is the season it comes together a little bit more for him. He'll likely never be a physical force, but he is getting stronger and has the height to help with spacing.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I honestly wouldn't have known that, especially on threes. My recollection was always being annoyed when he'd shoot a three. They prototypical "no, no, no, yes" type thing.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines