The 2017-2018 Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: The 2017-2018 Season

Unread post by RF1 »

CT Rhody wrote:If things get rolling early, especially on the road ie Neveda and Bama, then the confidence will be drastically different from last year.

I would be careful not to get too far ahead. Rhody was the favorite at Providence, Valpo, and Houston last season. Did not even come away from these games with a single win.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Fultz was last year's star and #1 pick. His team couldn't beat anybody. Look at Newman at Miss. State. Ben Simmons on LSU.

These top guys don't do so hot away from the blue bloods.

It would be an upset for URI with a senior group like we have, with their experience. To go down to Bama and lose.

Nevada? Give me a break.
With all due respect, I think you are underestimating Nevada. They were ranked #29 last year in RPI. Here is Rothstein's write up of the Mountain West just released today.

The 6'7" Martin Twins - Caleb and Cody - played 2 years at NC State and transferred to Nevada, eligible this year.
Kendall Stephens played at Purdue
Jordan Caroline could be player of the year in the Mountain West
They will start 4 players 6'7" and a guard 6'4"
Nevada played the same 10 day practice schedule as URI this summer and just played in Costa Rica so they got the same preseason experience as URI this summer
I don't see Nevada as a "gimme a break game" at all
I will gladly take 1-1 between Alabama and Nevada

2. Can Nevada repeat?
Yes. Transfers have been a way of life for a long time in the Mountain West Conference and Eric Musselman adds three high-level imports in Caleb and Cody Martin (N.C. State) as well as Kendall Stephens (Purdue). Those three players all averaged double-figure minutes when they were in the ACC and Big Ten, respectively, and Caleb Martin will seamlessly be one of the better players in the Mountain West in 2017-18. Add that trio to Mountain West Player of the Year candidate Jordan Caroline (15.0 points, 9.0 rebounds last season) and veteran point guard Lindsey Drew and you’ve got more than enough to get back to the NCAA Tournament.

https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/rothst ... -notebook/
2 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I think this board is underestimating the returning Rhody Rams.

There are several reasons our back court will be much improved from last year's OOC performance. I imagine Cyril does just fine as the lead dog in the front court.
Langevine led the team last year in fouls per minute played, do you think that's going to magically change next year especially now that he is our best big man?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

"Magically"? No.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I expect the guys above and all others not pictured to be better than they were last year. That includes the staff.

We can play Oregon to a minute within the Sweet Sixteen with Martin on the bench but we have to hope we get 1 win against two middle of the road programs. WITH most of a returning roster that won its league and an NCAA game thousands of miles away from home.

This isn't 2014. '10, '15. Entering 2017 with a really good team.

I expect Matthews to have a Jordan Sibert type effect on our success.

I get that other people play basketball too, but I dislike building them up.

When you return most of your program intact AND that goes for coaches too. People want and expect the team to take a step forward. Not hope they can resemble and match their previous year.

It is also college basketball and college sports where they replace ppl every year. The teams that return the most usually do better. That happens to be URI this year. It is normal to replace. It is not normal to return those six faces up there. That means we are a step above.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Winning road games is never easy. If you don't think we should lose to either Alabama or Nevada than I guess you are going to pick us going 28-2 or something to that effect. Because on paper, and according to Vegas, those will likely be two of the toughest games we play all season. NIT and PC on next tier due to neutral or home courts and similar level opponents. FWIW many are picking Alabama as a Top 25 team, so not sure where that middle of the road mention comes from.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

bigappleram wrote:Winning road games is never easy. If you don't think we should lose to either Alabama or Nevada than I guess you are going to pick us going 28-2 or something to that effect. Because on paper, and according to Vegas, those will likely be two of the toughest games we play all season. NIT and PC on next tier due to neutral or home courts and similar level opponents. FWIW many are picking Alabama as a Top 25 team, so not sure where that middle of the road mention comes from.
Agreed, road games are extremely tough! Top 40 road games are even tougher! Both of these teams will be top 40 (if not higher) caliber. going .500 against those type of teams is always a good accomplishment. It's funny that Jordan Sibert was brought up, his senior year they were undefeated at home. Yet they had a losing record in true road games and 5-3 in neutral site games.

It's easy to remember the great run we made at the end of the season but how many of those games do we win without Hassan Martin? We will be a better version of the team that lost to Houston next year. And even a better version of that team can still lose to any of Alabama, Nevada, Seton Hall, and PC. IMO going 2-2 in those games is as possible as going 1-3 or 3-1. And just like last year these games will probably come down to a few late possessions.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

BAR you're correct. I do think that Seton Hall and URI are the best two in the NIT.

We don't have a Duke or top 5 Maryland team on our schedule this year.

I see the recent Bama hype. I saw it when they had Anthony Grant. Middle of the Road is what their program has been. I would imagine people on this board would know results don't necessarily immediately follow the hype. Took us learning and gaining the experience to break through.

I just think the national attention SEC teams get when they sign kids with lots of stars is something I have seen before to be false. Not the Florida's, Kentucky's, or I guess South Carolina now. But like I said in my earlier post, these SEC teams underachive when they have hype. Usually it is the top 2 and then some team with 4 year players that end up good out of the SEC.

I still think URI should have beat Houston and Valpo last year. They were good basketball teams but URI was a great one.

Again we have as much experience/talent you will find, but the big kicker to me is Dan Hurley. I don't think he wants to lose to a Valpo or Houston. Slight calibrations and we can win those games. I think he figured some things out as much as the team got healthy last year. Not big things, but subtle changes in your leadership style and how you craft the culture of the team.

28-2? I don't know. I will predict less than 5-6 losses before the end of season tournaments start. It comes with the territory. Not only did these guys get as far as they did last year, but many of the people they had to beat or got beat by are now gone. The #1 team in the A10 for a long time has been a Sweet Sixteen team.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am in with the people who say we split those 2 roadies

Tough to win in the non conf early in season against quality foes
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Oh wow is this part of the allowable workouts in the offseason ??
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Fatts' vertical was measured at 43 inches....holy crap.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Whaaa?!
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

St Joseph's Might be tough this season with news like this and recovery from injuries last season....
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein?lang=es

– The biggest surprise this writer saw after watching Saint Joseph’s workout last week was 6-10 freshman Anthony Longpre. Think an Atlantic 10 version of Kevin Pittsnogle. Don’t be shocked if Longpre finds his way into Phil Martelli’s starting lineup.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

5 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We didn't have a film room? What did they do before, rent the library?
2 x
GO RAMS
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhodymob05 wrote:We didn't have a film room? What did they do before, rent the library?
They upgraded to DVD technology (blu-ray is after the season if they make the tournament).

I think this film room (the former "interview room" in the RC) is going to really be state of the art with DVR capabilities and a computer control panelto allow them to really break down game tape.
1 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

In my experience we used the lounge area in the locker room for film study.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Ted Cruz has been using Twitter.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This was 1 of the 2-3 things Dan said he was looking to get done in off season...some asbestos removal (can't believe i have to type that) and there was 1 other improvement he cared most about. He did not care about a practice facility, fwiw.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote:This was 1 of the 2-3 things Dan said he was looking to get done in off season...some asbestos removal (can't believe i have to type that) and there was 1 other improvement he cared most about. He did not care about a practice facility, fwiw.
Thankfully, the grandstands at Meade are older than asbestos, or there would probably be some there, too...(they are, right?) :lol: :lol:
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Film room is key thats where the good coaches break down the game and show the guys how they want to do things and disect the opponents tendency
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote:This was 1 of the 2-3 things Dan said he was looking to get done in off season...some asbestos removal (can't believe i have to type that) and there was 1 other improvement he cared most about. He did not care about a practice facility, fwiw.
He certainly cares about a practice facility. There is a roadmap to try and get there in athletics, but the film room was one of the "basic" things that we didn't have that needed to take priority.

The current setup was in the front part of the locker room when you walk in - 2 couches that could fit a few senior players, and everyone else on the time out stools you see brought on the court.

Try to focus on learning from tape while your ass goes numb sitting for a long time on those flimsy things.

The media room will be the full-time film room on practice days, but they'll set up chairs and a podium in the front section on game nights so that they can still conduct interviews from there.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Using that old media room as film room preserves the sanctity of the players' space within the locker room.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

ATPTourFan wrote:Using that old media room as film room preserves the sanctity of the players' space within the locker room.
Another reason why DH found it imperative to get the chalk talk sessions/tape breakdowns out of the players "home"; guys need to know they have a place to just get away from all the noise, that includes their duties as student athletes. Everyone should see what the players lounge at PC has looked like for the past 10 years wayyyy before Cooley got there.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

fwiw

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:fwiw

Are you trying to make me puke ?
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

no, but the looks of that floor would make one want to :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

ramster wrote:no, but the looks of that floor would make one want to :lol: :lol: :lol:
Who cares what that floor looks like when they're moving into that brand new space that's purely for hoops, I think they're calling it the Ruane Center... not sure if it's pronounced ru-an or Ryan...
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We don't care about them. We get our chance to get revenge Dec 2 and we will take them down
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Just popped in my head.

Still cant believe the game against joes when they took out Iverson and Jarvis.

We owe so many teams so much.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

That floor will be the site of a Friar Men's basketball game this season due to a lack of open November dates at the DDC. Alumni currently only holds 1,854 which means many Friar season ticket holders will be shut out.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Wasn't sure where to put this... but WOW Ryan Preston can get up there! Russell too for a little guy!

2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow looking forward to exciting above the rim hoop
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Preseason 144 Madness now listing up to team ranking 55 with 54 teams still to be named. 9 A10 teams listed in the Top 144.

9th - Lasalle ranked 125
8th - George Mason 108
7th - Davidson 84
6th - St Joseph's 72
5th - VCU 65
4th - Saint Louis 58
3rd
2nd
1st

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/men ... 4-previews
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

St. Louis 58? I know they will be better and have a very good recruiting class coming in, but that's a little too ambitious I think.

Still, good to see the A10 will have 7 teams in their top 100. The middle of the league will be solid.

Dayton will be 3rd, Bonnies 2nd, and you know who will be 1st.
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

I honestly think Davidson will be the biggest conference challenge for Rhody. They have a good mix of freshmen and veterans that plays solid team basketball, and has arguably the best X's and O's coach the Rams will face in the conference. Dayton and VCU are taking a step back, and I don't see Bonny as being in Rhode Island's class.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

What's interesting about this "Best Guards" article...to me anyway...is Dowtin's name isn't even in it...
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
What's interesting about this "Best Guards" article...to me anyway...is Dowtin's name isn't even in it...
I think Zags focus was how many seniors we have; Doubt Zags is sleeping on JD11
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Also surprised at STL ranked 58 does seem high
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

But yea some other fans of teams in the A10 don't think we have the best backcourt in the conference.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Go Rhody
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote:But yea some other fans of teams in the A10 don't think we have the best backcourt in the conference.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was thinking that too the whole time reading it.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote:But yea some other fans of teams in the A10 don't think we have the best backcourt in the conference.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some of them apparently also think that the best players #1-#4 are all on the SBU squad.

One can argue some about the best two guard TANDEM in the league. There is however in my humble opinion no argument about which team has the best GROUP of guards.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Which makes us harder to guard, when you have several good guards, versus just one or two......

With the Bonnies, shut down one of them, and they are very beatable. Which is what we do.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote:Which makes us harder to guard, when you have several good guards, versus just one or two......

With the Bonnies, shut down one of them, and they are very beatable. Which is what we do.
Yup, Mobley did absolutely nothing against us last year. Zilch, nadda, nothing, zero.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Rhody15 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Which makes us harder to guard, when you have several good guards, versus just one or two......

Yup, Mobley did absolutely nothing against us last year. Zilch, nadda, nothing, zero.
2 games in a row too.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

It isn't a forgone conclusion Adams is better than EC.

Jared T too is leaps and bounds beyond Mobley.

It matters how well your team does. It is harder to score the points when the lights are brighter and the competition is better.

EC and Jared also defend and rebound at a high level. lol like HIGHHHH.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Many of our guards are also very good defensive players. Do they take that into consideration?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote:Preseason 144 Madness now listing up to team ranking 55 with 54 teams still to be named. 9 A10 teams listed in the Top 144.

9th - Lasalle ranked 125
8th - George Mason 108
7th - Davidson 84
6th - St Joseph's 72
5th - VCU 65
4th - Saint Louis 58
3rd - Dayton 53
2nd
1st

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/men ... 4-previews
Dayton comes in at #53

Projected Starting Five: