The 2017-2018 Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: The 2017-2018 Season

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

STC wrote:URI is winning that tournament.

Things are setting up nicely for URI this coming season with Dayton and VCU changing coaches and some of the other movement in the A10.
Yea. If we get enough from the front court.

That NIT is at Madison Square Garden?

If so..... :D :D :D :D
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Preseason NIT is at Barclays.
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We will be the preseason favorite for sure....but without additional frontcourt help, anybody who thinks we'll just sail right through to the A10T as the one seed, is a tad too sure of themselves. It won't be easy. We haven't done it yet since we joined the league.

If we get Juiston, then yes we win the league as long as we stay relatively healthy.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not sure we get through 2 wins v Vandy UVA and SH those are decent teams
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Next season's OOC games might be even more important than last season's when it comes to at large bids from the A10......

The dearth of top 50 opportunities in conference will make that so.

We must have at least a couple of top 50 wins in the early season. Or else we might have to do what we did last season....win the A10T....especially if for some reason we don't win the regular season crown.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Big news from UMass....Jarreau and Gresham both leaving.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It feels like UMass is dead in the water right now. Firing Kellogg was the right move, but it's been all down hill fast from there. First hiring a coach that backed out before the press conference. Then hiring McCall, who I'm not high on. He's been a head coach for two years. The first year he went to the tournament with Wade's players, great. Second year it sounds like there might have been a team mutiny. Now the biggest reasons for optimism are out the door. They had a chance to be mid pack, now they might be last. If they misfired on the coaching hire you're looking at about a decade wasted between the end of Kellogg's tenure and McCall.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I came here today to say wow Umass. They set themselves back years.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This means that UMass will continue to be an RPI anchor for the near future as Rhody always plays them twice/season.

I fear the A-10 is heading in the wrong direction. There have been many transfers, recruits backing out, and coaching changes around the league this spring. It does not bode well for the near term. URI will probably have even less opportunities in conference play for quality wins to help pad an at large resume.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RF1, correct. But there will be plenty of land mines.

Like I've said, we will have to do some damage OOC....we can't repeat what happened last season with too many close losses to the better teams we played...except for Cincy of course.

I also think Dan is very aware of the problem with the A10 right now...that's why he wants to play the top teams twice each.....but that's not likely to happen all the time.

To add, he has to get at least a couple more games, either home or away, against top 50's OOC if at all possible. Not going to be easy to do that.

Not going to be ANY top 50's in the A10 this season [except us, we hope] unless someone overachieves, as things stand right now. The A10 will have quite a few teams in the 75-125 range, like last season. But that's it.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Say it ain't so UMass Minutemen
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Seeing what is transpiring at UMass, Duquense, VCU, and Dayton this spring makes me fear the day when Hurley moves on. It is now a given you will see many recruit decommits and transfers setting you back for few years. It is also not always a smooth process when hiring a new coach as UMass and Duquesne highlight.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:Seeing what is transpiring at UMass, Duquense, VCU, and Dayton this spring makes me fear the day when Hurley moves on. It is now a given you will see many recruit decommits and transfers setting you back for few years. It is also not always a smooth process when hiring a new coach as UMass and Duquesne highlight.
If your program is in a strong position, the "step back" won't be as pronounced. Dayton and VCU both hired coaches familiar with their programs, they will be OK and be just as strong as they were very soon imo.....

Look at Xavier...every time there's a coaching change it seems like the transition is seamless and they keep winning.....

As for us, we have 2 strong candidates already when Dan decides to move on....Cox, who by all accounts could be a good replacement, and Preston, who knows the program as well as anyone.....
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mo Alie Cox could play against the Patriots

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday ... 100707372/
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He always seemed like a football player
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Just because Allie Cox signed does not mean he is actually going to ever play a game in the NFL. It's amazingly hard to make it in the NFL without playing any college ball.

Stephen Neal was one of the greatest collegiate HW wrestlers of all time and even won the HW World Championship a couple months out of college. He had about 10x the physical talent as Mo and played in a sport that's far more physical yet he basically redshirt his first 2 years in the league and did not become a starter until he was in year 4.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

EGram, did you know Neal beat Brock Lesner wrestling in college?
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI basketball played another college basketball player that went on to have a great NFL career - Chargers Tight End Antonio Gates (Kent State beat URI in Kingston in Dec/2002).
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

EGram wrote:Just because Allie Cox signed does not mean he is actually going to ever play a game in the NFL. It's amazingly hard to make it in the NFL without playing any college ball.

Stephen Neal was one of the greatest collegiate HW wrestlers of all time and even won the HW World Championship a couple months out of college. He had about 10x the physical talent as Mo and played in a sport that's far more physical yet he basically redshirt his first 2 years in the league and did not become a starter until he was in year 4.
Cox is on his way to playing Basketball Professionally overseas, then this offer popped up so he might as well give it a try. Certainly signing does not mean he will ever play a game.

A few things going in favor of Cox having a chance at football:
- Indianapolis has a history of giving College Basketball Players an opportunity. Tight end Erik Swoope and recently retired lineman Joe Reitz were collegiate basketball players before playing in the NFL
- The guy expected to be the #2 Tight End, Dwayne Allen, went to the Patriots
- Cox is a bull of a guy, with good hands. 74% Free Throw shooter his last 2 years at VCU - very good coordination
- Cox is a determined individual, majored in Criminal Justice and is currently pursuing his Masters in Criminal Justice. He is going to be a very successful individual:
•Completed an internship with the Virginia General Assembly in 2016.
•Completed an internship at Richmond law firm McGuireWoods during the 2015-16 fall semester.
- At 6'7" 255 pounds he has the size to be a tight end in the NFL
- Since Cox was eligible last season, unlike other College Seniors, he was able to go to pre-draft workouts last year and could have signed then. Cox had every team in the NFL attend his public workout except for two teams. He visited several teams as well and the Colts signed him. Doesn't mean he makes the team but it helps

Will he make it? Who knows......but I would not bet against this guy
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Here's another mid major madness feature two Rhody folks. :p
http://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/4/2 ... -rothstein
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote:
EGram wrote:Just because Allie Cox signed does not mean he is actually going to ever play a game in the NFL. It's amazingly hard to make it in the NFL without playing any college ball.

Cox is on his way to playing Basketball Professionally overseas, then this offer popped up so he might as well give it a try. Certainly signing does not mean he will ever play a game.

A few things going in favor of Cox having a chance at football:
- Indianapolis has a history of giving College Basketball Players an opportunity. Tight end Erik Swoope and recently retired lineman Joe Reitz were collegiate basketball players before playing in the NFL
- The guy expected to be the #2 Tight End, Dwayne Allen, went to the Patriots
- Cox is a bull of a guy, with good hands. 74% Free Throw shooter his last 2 years at VCU - very good coordination
- Cox is a determined individual, majored in Criminal Justice and is currently pursuing his Masters in Criminal Justice. He is going to be a very successful individual:
•Completed an internship with the Virginia General Assembly in 2016.
•Completed an internship at Richmond law firm McGuireWoods during the 2015-16 fall semester.
- At 6'7" 255 pounds he has the size to be a tight end in the NFL
- Since Cox was eligible last season, unlike other College Seniors, he was able to go to pre-draft workouts last year and could have signed then. Cox had every team in the NFL attend his public workout except for two teams. He visited several teams as well and the Colts signed him. Doesn't mean he makes the team but it helps

Will he make it? Who knows......but I would not bet against this guy
He's also played football before and he said it was his first love.
I certainly wouldn't be too surprised if he makes it. Hes a beast. It may take a little while for him to get the route running down but he has all the intangibles.
However, being a Titans fan I'm not thrilled that he's signing with the colts...
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Once upon a time Pitt was a member of the Eastern 8, and they had a 6-6, 250-pound center named Sam Clancy who, IIRC, played several seasons in the NFL.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:Once upon a time Pitt was a member of the Eastern 8, and they had a 6-6, 250-pound center named Sam Clancy who, IIRC, played several seasons in the NFL.
Correct RI Red,

Here is an article about Cox from the A10 Website and an excerpt from the article.......

If he makes the Colts' roster, he would be the third Atlantic 10 men's basketball player to make the transition from college basketball to the NFL in the league's 41-year history. Sam Clancy (Pittsburgh) played for the Seattle Seahawks, Cleveland Browns and Colts from 1983-1993. James Harris (Temple) had an NFL career from 1993-98 where he played for the Minnesota Vikings, St. Louis Rams and Oakland Raiders.

http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.d ... =211568790
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

A little off target but I remember when Jimmy Walker was drafted by the Saints to play defensive back. He actually considered it for a short while.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Nice local article on Robinson and Dowtin, also references the summer trip-

COUNTY NATIVES HELP RHODE ISLAND EARN NCAA TOURNEY WIN
http://www.thesentinel.com/pgs/sports/i ... ourney-win
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Summer trip to France nice
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:Nice local article on Robinson and Dowtin, also references the summer trip-

I forgot that Robinson went to Findlay Prep. Isn't that where Poyser went too?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ace wrote:Nice local article on Robinson and Dowtin, also references the summer trip-

yes, for one year
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI at the Vatican
URI at the Vatican
reef wrote:Summer trip to France nice
Makes sense. Overseas trips are only permitted every four years. Rhode Island went to Italy back in 2013. This is the first summer that they can do so again.

Foreign trips 'a huge advantage' for college basketball teams
If there is anything miraculous inherent in a college basketball team taking an international tour, it likely exists in a player’s first glance at the Eiffel Tower, or walk through St. Peter’s Basilica

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... lege-teams
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

yes, for one year
So, they weren't teammates then.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

EC will have gotten two great trips to Europe in his time here - Rome and Italy in 2013 and Paris and France in 2017. Not bad college trips.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Last week, Jim Harbaugh took the entire Michigan football team to
Italy.
They actually got to meet the Pope and present him with some
Michigan items.
ESPN actually sent someone to Italy to cover the trip.
Harbaugh's and the player's remarks on camera,
were mainly that they were awestruck by the
experience.
Imagine the cost of taking a football team touring?
Deep pockets in P5 schools.
That said, trips like this are mind expanding for those
involved.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

and a nice recruiting tool
Whoever ends up filling the 13th Scholarship would get to go on a nice summer trip, meet his new teammates and get to play some overseas basketball games - a pretty nice welcome to the team perk
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:and a nice recruiting tool
Whoever ends up filling the 13th Scholarship would get to go on a nice summer trip, meet his new teammates and get to play some overseas basketball games - a pretty nice welcome to the team perk
Maybe that's why none of our players have transferred.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Do the walkons get to go?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote:Do the walkons get to go?
Yeah it looks like the walk ons like youncofski are in that Italy picture.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PeterRamTime wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:Do the walkons get to go?
Yeah it looks like the walk ons like youncofski are in that Italy picture.

Providence and Classical HS's own Will Leviton gets a trip to Paris.

This is great for all the guys. The players in 2013 really seemed to enjoy visits to Rome, Venice, and Lake Como. Cox taped some of their visits in 2013. they can be found in the early August-2013 press releases per this link:
http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2013-14/news
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I watched some of the footage of Michigan in Rome that is incredible they can take a whole football team over there

Yes Findlay Prep here in Vegas is a factory of talent
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

So who starts at the 4 next year?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

steveystuds06 wrote:So who starts at the 4 next year?
EC
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote:
steveystuds06 wrote:So who starts at the 4 next year?
EC
No way against Top 100 teams or against A10. EC isnt strong enough to defend and rebound against a true D1 4 player.
It will either be Akele, Berry, one of the Fr bigs or a yet to be signed 5th grad/JUCO.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just joking. But maybe not. So Akele or Berry is going to start next year?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

theblueram wrote:Just joking. But maybe not. So Akele or Berry is going to start next year?
It must be Akele right now. Hopefully he can make a big jump
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I don't see Berry, Layssard or Tertsea defending a 4 either.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I don't want Akele to see the floor ( I know that's impossible). He's too slow, robotic, and just not real athletic. He's rarely shown he's capable of being an A10 player.
1 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not really excited about Akele starting either but right now looks like he will be our stretch 4
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I think the "4" next year will be played a lot by Terrell and CT. I think CT has the length to defend and I would put Terrell on anybody and not worry too much. We have three guards over 6'4" and Terrell is 6'3" - I am not too worried we can play 4 guards and do really well. Put the best players on the floor, which happens to be our guards both offensively and defensively.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Akele needs some confidence. The kid can be good, but when he gets the ball, inside or out, hes already looking to pass it. I would start Berry over him.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Where are the rebounds going to come from, especially against bigger teams?

If playing more uptempo is the plan, you have to be able to get the ball off the glass to do so.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Need Akele to put on weight and strength and shoot the three more consistently. That and some confidence and he will be fine.
Play like he did at UMass.
Be confident in his abilities and he can make an impact.
He and the rest of the front court guy's will have to step up biiiiig time if we can't get any juco's or grads.
Still think we will dominate the A-10 with our small ball, but things will get dicey with teams who have good bigs obviously.
0 x