Congratulations to PC on their 4 Straight NCAA Tournament

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Congratulations to PC on their 4 Straight NCAA Tournament

Unread post by ramster »

Many nice comments about our team in 4 full pages about URI in the NCAA Tournament on the PC Scout Board
Darth and SeanMc chimed in for our team as well. Thank you.

Have to say that losing "X" Number (I just can't say the number) of consecutive games to them maybe helped us this year to toughen up and helped us to put together this phenomenal 8 game winning streak and winning 12 of our last 14 games. Could be that the intense competition between the two Schools, Teams and Fan Bases makes both Teams Stronger in the end. Even more important, possibly makes us both better able to handle the adversity and the challenges that lie ahead later this week with Creighton, USC and beyond. PC was not thought to be NCAA Caliber to begin the season and URI was thought to have little or no chance after the Fordham game - so both Teams have shown a lot of toughness and skill.
Best of luck in the Tournament!

Good to have 2 Teams from the Smallest but Greatest State in the Union among the 68 participants.
It was mentioned in the PC thread that every single poster here wanted DH fired a couple of weeks ago, but for sure that was not the case then and certainly is not now. Never did I want him fired and I know most others didn't either.

I think there was no mention here Congratulating PC, up to now, because everyone has been so wrapped up in the moment plus we have become accustomed to PC making the Dance, to be honest. For us it was last century :( So yes, we are pretty happy and not totally thinking straight yet :lol: :lol:

http://www.scout.com/college/providence ... 425&page=1
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Congratulations to PC on their 4 Straight NCAA Tournament

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

nope, fuck the Friars
7 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ramster wrote:Many nice comments about our team in 4 full pages about URI in the NCAA Tournament on the PC Scout Board
Darth and SeanMc chimed in for our team as well. Thank you.

Have to say that losing "X" Number (I just can't say the number) of consecutive games to them maybe helped us this year to toughen up and helped us to put together this phenomenal 8 game winning streak and winning 12 of our last 14 games. Could be that the intense competition between the two Schools, Teams and Fan Bases makes both Teams Stronger in the end. Even more important, possibly makes us both better able to handle the adversity and the challenges that lie ahead later this week with Creighton, USC and beyond. PC was not thought to be NCAA Caliber to begin the season and URI was thought to have little or no chance after the Fordham game - so both Teams have shown a lot of toughness and skill.
Best of luck in the Tournament!

Good to have 2 Teams from the Smallest but Greatest State in the Union among the 68 participants.
It was mentioned in the PC thread that every single poster here wanted DH fired a couple of weeks ago, but for sure that was not the case then and certainly is not now. Never did I want him fired and I know most others didn't either.

I think there was no mention here Congratulating PC, up to now, because everyone has been so wrapped up in the moment plus we have become accustomed to PC making the Dance, to be honest. For us it was last century :( So yes, we are pretty happy and not totally thinking straight yet :lol: :lol:

http://www.scout.com/college/providence ... 425&page=1
I agree. Cooley did a great job getting them to the tourney this year. I think the forecast for them was NIT at best. They deserve all the credit in the world. I personally met Darth Friar a few times several years ago. Really good guy in person, so I'm happy for him and other PC fans I know.

Ramster, thanks for sharing.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

I hate the Friars, but Cooley is a great coach and making it 4 years in a row is quite an accomplishment.
Last edited by Justns11 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

He still pisses me off at times with some if his comments but I have started to gain respect for Cooley. He gets the job done.

It is no easy feat to reach the NCAA for smaller non P5 schools, let alone do it four straight years. It is a great accomplishment. Congratulations to the Friars.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Great job by Cooley in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year.
Four straight NCAAs is a real accomplishment.
He's got everyone back next year, so PC
should make it five in a row.
5 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

4 consecutive NCAA appearances is an excellent achievement -- something we can aspire to for our program. Congratulations are in order for the Friars.

Let's make an effort here to keep this thread classy. If you hate the Friars, that's OK, but just don't remind us all of that over here.
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Plenty of states with A LOT more D-1 institutions than little Rhody have 0 teams in the Dance. RI has two. Good for the hoops climate in the state.

Also, I believe four straight NCAAs is a record for PC. Not 100% sure on that.
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Plenty of states with A LOT more D-1 institutions than little Rhody have 0 teams in the Dance. RI has two.

Three straight NCAA appearances was their record which was also the case with URI.
1 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

l (unfortunately) have a ton of friends and family who are PC fans who took their time to reach out over the past few days to send well wishes & props to Rhody. So I might as well return the favor and congratulate the Friars on their 4th straight NCAA appearance. Their late emergence this year after being picked 9th was very impressive.

Cooley has done an amazing job turning their program around and is great coach/guy. Having both teams in the tourney is great for our state.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Are we making nice with PC?........gag!!
2 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

Not so much congratulating them, as showing appreciation for filling the hole we left in the first 4 after we won the a10. I also appreciate that strong college ball in RI helps all boats float higher
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I know it's a technicality but, let's hold the congrats until they officially make it...they are in the play in game. If those gamess were actually part of the tournament it wouldn't be called a Play-in. Need to win to get in.

I only say this because I am not a fan, and I fully concede if the roles were reversed I would say we were in too. :D
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I am rooting for a URI/PC national championship game, with a 75-64 URI win.

Looking to exorcise ALL of the demons this year.

What's Ron Petro doing these days?
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Plenty of states with A LOT more D-1 institutions than little Rhody have 0 teams in the Dance. RI has two. Good for the hoops climate in the state.

Growing up and still living in Northern RI I always rooted for both teams with a slight lean to PC until I enrolled at URI. Been harder to root for them the last 7 years but I am very glad that RI has the 2 teams in the dance so congrats to the Friars. I hope they beat USC so the state can have both teams tipping off an hour and a half apart. Will be a great st pats day for the state and I am looking forward to experiencing the atmosphere at whichever bar I am at.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree - its a remarkable job by Cooley. 4 years in a row is no small feat for anyone, let alone PC. He gets the most out of his talent and PC should name the Dunk after him.
Last edited by bigappleram 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:nope, fuck the Friars

this made me laugh out loud at my desk.

My opinion is I'm so f'ing happy that we're in the dance, why not throw some kudos toward Cooley and PC? If we were not in the tourney, I probably would not be as nice.

GO RHODY!!!!!
2 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I definitely give them credit, as everyone has said they deserve it for 4 straight as that is not easy to do. Now with that said, I hope USC wins by 1000.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Put me in the 'Cooley is a tremendous coach' camp. Really has the ability to coach players up to their true talents and potential. Congrats to the friyiz.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

While I would never root for PC, I am rooting for another school in the tourney. My daughter is currently a student at UVM, holder of the nation's longest current winning streak of 21 games.
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

[quote="RIFan"]I know it's a technicality but, let's hold the congrats until they officially make it...they are in the play in game. If those gamess were actually part of the tournament it wouldn't be called a Play-in. Need to win to get in.

It's not a technicality, it's incorrect. The term play-in is a media creation. The correct term is First Four, and the FF teams receive the same payouts as everyone else. It's a great accomplishment for both RI schools to overcome all they did to get here.
4 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

A rose by any other color...its still a play in. Travel Ban...temporary suspension...whats the difference?

You know they call it the first four because it just sounds better and goes with the final four theme. The media calls it a play-in, so that those who don't follow close understand what it is. It's a nice thing that they pay the same. This could also be another case of fake news, calling it a play-in...

I agree that it's a great accomplishment for both teams.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 11 times in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Billyboy78 wrote:While I would never root for PC, I am rooting for another school in the tourney. My daughter is currently a student at UVM, holder of the nation's longest current winning streak of 21 games.
Go Cats!!!!!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I must admit all my friends/acquaintances who are primarily PC fans have congratulated me and thrown a lot of kudos Rhody's way so I can't complain. However from past experience a lot of PC fans I see on the street are just straight asshats.

Either way, I respect the teams Cooley has assembled in his time there and wish PC luck. Good thing they were eliminated so early last week since they'll need 3 wins in 5 days this week!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

As a sports fan and a friend and family member to PC fans, I respect what they have done and they have a hell of a coach, but I'm a rhody fan baby, PC can kick rocks.
1 x
GO RAMS
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Like others have said, 4 tourneys in a row is a very impressive accomplishment, so kudos to our city cousins. And I agree it's equally impressive that the smallest state has more teams in than bigger states.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ATPTourFan wrote:4 consecutive NCAA appearances is an excellent achievement -- something we can aspire to for our program. Congratulations are in order for the Friars.

Let's make an effort here to keep this thread classy. If you hate the Friars, that's OK, but just don't remind us all of that over here.
Trying . . . really . . . hard . . .
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree with most here Cooley has done a great job with that team getting them to dance
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Proud of you, RI Red!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund