Tournament Money

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Tournament Money

Unread post by Ramrod »

I've always heard about how making the NCAA tourney is so great because your program gets money for it. I know it gets more the more you advance, since I remember reading about how Dayton's run to the elite eight netted them some serious dough.

Does anyone know roughly how much we're talking here? How much does each win matter, for the program financially?
0 x
bpaz11
Steve Chubin

Re: Tournament Money

Unread post by bpaz11 »

Making it and advancing earns the teams units that get paid out over a six year period. Here is a pretty good article from the Washington Post that explains the process and shows the amounts earned for each round.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... caa-money/
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....great info, thx
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

The A10 receives the NCAA unit, paid for each game a team plays. Then it takes some unknown % off the top for Conference administration. Then it distributes the lion share (maybe 2/3 to 3/4) of the unit to the team who earned it. The remainder goes into a general pool paid out evenly among all the teams.

URI will finally have contributed to the A10's NCAA units, rather than simply being on the receiving end.

Maybe twisted can help us with the % teams receive by earning the unit. Pretty sure it's now around $200k per year, per unit.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

I am sorry I can't find the source quick, but each unit this year and next is worth 270000 for the 6 years. I can't remember what the a10 takes but I believe uri gets 75% back based on post from the a10 board
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

That jives with my ~$200k figure in my head after some conversations with people close to the program this year.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Cool, so roughly $200k per year over the next 6 years per game that Rhody appears in.

That means that VCU got ~$1.2m each year from their first four to final four run in 2011... Not too bad.
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

Ramrod wrote:Cool, so roughly $200k per year over the next 6 years per game that Rhody appears in.

That means that VCU got ~$1.2m each year from their first four to final four run in 2011... Not too bad.
The sad part is they didn't because the units are paid to the conference and not the school. When they switched to the A10 they left that money behind. Also the caa could have a different distribution plan, and some far echos in my mind had vcu happy to jump to a10 because this was "better", not just the better conference
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

urirx wrote:
Ramrod wrote:Cool, so roughly $200k per year over the next 6 years per game that Rhody appears in.

The sad part is they didn't because the units are paid to the conference and not the school. When they switched to the A10 they left that money behind. Also the caa could have a different distribution plan, and some far echos in my mind had vcu happy to jump to a10 because this was "better", not just the better conference
Yeah the CAA distribution is pretty much all teams get an equal share of the money. So thats why it wasnt a big deal for VCU to jump becasue they werent getting millions anyways.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

i'm 90% sure the A10 gives 75% to the school that earned the credit and 25% is split among the other teams
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE