Why Baron 2.0 Thread Should be Locked?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Why Baron 2.0 Thread Should be Locked?

Unread post by ramster »

Last night I went to post on the Baron 2.0 Thread and when I was about to hit submit found it locked

The last post on that thread had been 3 weeks ago by the poster who had started it 3 months ago Da_Process_Survivor
6 Posts went up quickly after the URI win and then it was locked
Puck Providence
Adam914
Blue Man
Da_Process_Survivor
ATP
Twisted3829
ATP

I don't understand locking this thread because:
Posters who had said things earlier among the 23 pages and 1114 posts were not allowed to comment about them after this monumental A10 Championship
The comments have been made that they would have wanted to put in Baron 2.0 but they are now strewn across multiple other threads, sometimes said multiple times instead of only once
My big complaints in Baron 2.0 were:
1) They are not close in comparing the two
2) Some were already saying Hurley had 5 years to fulfill his promise of an NCAA bid - but my point was that Year 5 was not over yet - let the season play out

Credit to Da_Process_Survivor for saying "I AM AN IDIOT AND COULDN'T BE HAPPIER TO SAY THAT.....THREAD IS DEAD". I had many interactions with DPS over the 23 pages about mostly the title of the Thread. His biggest point is DH needed an X's and O's assistant coach with experience. A reasonable point even though I disagreed. I'd be interested in his honest thoughts now given where we are.

Credit to others who commented about what they had said in Baron 2.0 but have had to do it in other threads since Baron 2.0 is closed for business

Threads like "DAN HURLEY IS YOUR GOD....." have been created possibly because of Baron 2.0 being closed down. Many, many other comments that would have been in Baron 2.0 are spread all over.

PMMM was questioned by a Moderator as to where he has been, or thought he was dead......but PMMM should have been given the opportunity to have come on Baron 2.0 and said something if he wanted to. Or not said anything, his choice. Some will still not think highly of DH, that is ok, their right.

But we can all rejoice in victory now, or not rejoice if some chose not to.

But I don't see how you can keep Baron 2.0 open for business for 3 months, 23 pages and 1100 posts then just close it when someone has determined that it is no longer relevant? I am not even sure what the reason is to close it.

Maybe I am missing something but what is the reason or reasons to close it now versus 3 days ago or 3 weeks ago?
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Why Baron 2.0 Thread Should be Locked IMHO

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

i said from day 1 in that thread that nothing would make me happier than to be proven wrong, and i was.

I'm a fanatic and take Rhody basketball personally. I remember watching the 98 run with the gym teachers in middle school...I remember not missing a single game as a student in the 03 to 06 seasons. Seeing the out of nowhere NIT season in 03 to the disasterous 6 win season in 05. Was at nearly every home game for the soul crushing 08 and 10 seasons, and had my will beaten by all the close but no cigar big game losses (Steve Mello from the corner against #1 St Joes is still the worst one! Saw that one from halfway down the stairs in the 100s ready to hit the court). Can count on 1 hand the games i havent seen, watched or heard. And before yesterday, the highlight of the Ryan Center days was watching PC get run off the court in 04

I still think he could benefit from an Xs and Os assistant on offense, but there's something to be said for being a motivator and toughness.

Never doubted Hurley's toughness or the toughness of guys like Hass and Terrell. Wondered if it wasnt enough to elevate the team. After all, we've had tough players in the drought that couldnt elevate the team (Will, Seawright, Delroy, Ulmer...none were tougher than Dawan). But after Fordham, something changed with this group. It slapped them in the face and woke them up. Since then they have been a machine and had a sense of urgency we havent had before. They are executing, they believe they will win and they are the bully pushing teams around and taking it. Most importantly they are a TEAM and a family who will go to war for each other.

all the credit goes to Dan and the leaders on this team for that.

and again, yes I was wrong...and I love it
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I locked it. It's staying locked. Executive decision based on the proof we presently have in-hand that it was/is wrong.

It's not like the thread is deleted, stricken from the record. It will remain read-only (at your own risk). I don't want anyone to visit this site and see that ridiculous "Baron 2.0" on our homepage.

In "only" 5 years (half the time Baron was here), Hurley has delivered an A10 Championship, NCAA At-Large quality team and established a perennial A10 contender here with players we love to support. This all done with many well-documented challenges (land-mines) along the way.

Our focus should now be on the PRESENT and our bright FUTURE. We are no longer subject to the disappointment, pain and suffering since 99. Our gravitation to and fixation on that long drought is holding us back as a fanbase.

We now must press the big RESET button as Rhody fans and support our Championship men's basketball program.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 6 times in total.
8 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Everything ATP said +10000000

I love that the thread is locked. It is deserved to be buried. Just that title is an eyesore.

I'm glad there are posts all over this board decrying the negativity. I'm glad there are thread titles thanking dan and calling him a god. It's well deserved after the cesspool this board became in December and January.

Locking that thread is a statement just like that win.

Also DPS - I'm still not convinced that Dan "needs" and X's and O's guy. When you look back on this season and start to rewatch some things...you have to start to think about the player execution versus coaching angle.

The biggest difference in the last 8 games in my opinion is player execution. Listening to Dan's message. Hitting open shots. Driving to the lane more. Getting to the line more. Playing defense-first oriented basketball.

If the players had executed earlier in the year, the cesspool never would've developed.

Honestly though, I'm happy that happened. We're rolling into the tournament battle hardened because we've been playing "must win" basketball for 8 straight games over 4 weeks. I'd be shitting my pants if I were creighton who's 2 star players are freshmen going against a couple of MEN wearing keaney blue.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster just give it a rest. If you don't like how the board is run, start another board. Honestly man, this is some tiring nonsense. Why not focus on the fact that the basketball team just rallied for a fantastic end of the season, accomplishing a tournament championship and a trip to the NCAAs for the first time in almost two decades, rather than on your ability to call up posts from 4 months ago so you can criticize them?

Also, there is a typo in your thread title.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I like Ramster's thread title. I intentionally did NOT fix it for him.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

I think I may have unitentionally initiated that because whatever good points were made, so much of that thread was sewage and I really hated that goddamn name. So after I got done losing my shit yesterday my first thought was to get my computer and say "FUCK THIS THREAD" because fuck that thread. Which is what bumped it and quickly caused ATP to drop the hammer like the almighty Thor.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:ramster just give it a rest. If you don't like how the board is run, start another board. Honestly man, this is some tiring nonsense. Why not focus on the fact that the basketball team just rallied for a fantastic end of the season, accomplishing a tournament championship and a trip to the NCAAs for the first time in almost two decades, rather than on your ability to call up posts from 4 months ago so you can criticize them?

Also, there is a typo in your thread title.
Baron 2.0 title was embarrassing and early on I asked it to be changed. Ok, I get it, it's freedom of speech. But now you admit it and locking it is the solution I guess. I just wanted to understand why it was licked, the rational. It was proven wrong. But if Hurley goes 5-31 next year is it proven again right? Couldn't it just be a timing thing?

Again TP,
I brought up your thread calling the season over and saying Hurley was not the guy because you critiqued PMMM for not having been on the board and admitting he was wrong ( I assume) when you yourself had thrown in the towel and created a thread highlighting that. If you threw in the towel after the PC loss, fine, just remember when you are critiquing others you were right there with them, even if it was a weak moment or 3 months ago.
I never threw in the towel but the posters who critiqued the HC, players on the team , etc have every right to do it, I'll defend their right to do that.
Just like I can say I was right to wait until the entire 5 years are up before saying thousands of times that Hurley has failed to achieve his promise of an NCAA bid in 5 years. That was the point was to let the 5 years fully expire.

My biggest reason for not locking the GBO 2.0 thread was to allow people to reflect back on their earlier beliefs. To admit that they were wrong, or underestimated Hurley or certain players, to let their post A10 opinions be known, even if they had still not changed.

Locking it just to me seems in your face, this thread was idiotic and so were the posters who populated it. Maybe they were, but I think it was shut down too fast. Again the opinions and the I Told You So's are all over the place anyway.

We don't need to agree, it's a message board. And telling me to start a new board is stupid. What you say is what you say, whether it was 3 months ago, 5 minutes ago, or two years ago. Everyone can change their mind, some do, some don't.

I have been against locking threads in the past, so my response to locking should be no surprise.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Why Baron 2.0 Thread Should be Locked?

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Ramster must think a blizzard of words make him right.
Ramster and Blueman have been all over the board with
childish taunting of anyone who didn't think their way.
As I said, Hassan Martin said last night,
"We lost hope there for awhile."
If your best player is saying that, nuff said about
where things were going post Fordham.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

OK, now back to our regularly scheduled programming.... please.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster, you've been on this board every day for years. I assume you read it while you're here. If you think I gave up on the season after the PC game then you didn't read much of what I wrote all year. There are not many people on this board who held out hope for this team or expressed more willingness to be patient than I did. Did that mean I was never critical or never had a pull-my-hair out moment? No, obviously not.

You can go back and find a couple places where I expressed frustration during a game or just after. I'm human, I get caught up in the moment. Highlighting those couple examples and ignoring the hundreds of others where I clearly expressed my view doesn't serve any purpose other than to misrepresent where I stood throughout the year. You can even find posts of mine within a few hours of that "the dream is dead" post that more clearly stated where I was at once I calmed down. I won't run from anything I said here, all I can do is offer an explanation when I was wrong.

That has nothing to do with PMMM who is only here to irritate other people, has no actual viewpoint only an objective, is a punk and a coward and comes here to try to kick people when they are down and but does not ever show up to express any joy or satisfaction when good things happen. I don't understand your weird obsession with trying to play message board politics in light of what else is going on. Save it for the offseason and I will debate you until your heart is content in private messages or out where everyone can see it. It's stupid to clog the board with this crap right now.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

! Message from: ATPTourFan
So, let's stop clogging it.

Moving along....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ok TP. I agree.
I just got pissed that I had a post already to post on Baron 2.0 and when I went to send it was locked. You have been a supporter of the team and Hurley, and you tend to speak logically along the way.
I was devastated after the Dayton, and the Fordham loss. My confidence was shaken too.
As I said I have said some negative things in game threads that I found I'll advised later as it's in the heat of the moment.
The Fordham was the heat of the moment for many so I can understand.
My bad in getting riled up with the GBO 2.0 thread. I still stand by it being the dumbest thread ever, so may it Rest In Peace.
Again I know you went to the dark side for a short time and I should have at least noted that, rather than what I might have insinuated.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rodfromcranston wrote:Ramster must think a blizzard of words make him right.
Ramster and Blueman have been all over the board with
childish taunting of anyone who didn't think their way.
As I said, Hassan Martin said last night,
"We lost hope there for awhile."
If your best player is saying that, nuff said about
where things were going post Fordham.
HELL YES I HAVE.

To be given shit for an entire year by holding onto the belief that Dan could get this done, I am going to be childish and happy because the last time I had this feeling I was literally a child. I was 12. You're damn right I'm victory lapping all over this board like an asshole because that vindication is an unreal feeling.

Childish taunting. Adult taunting. So much taunting.

To be fair it's tough to come off in a joking way through internet text, and there is a lot of sarcasm and levity behind a lot of my posts, but I just don't care right now. Way too good of a feeling to worry about feelings of internet posters after I certainly wasn't given the same courtesy months ago.

Sure I could be the bigger person, but where's the fun in that?
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

For sure the players lost hope there for a while, how could they not with all the injuries and the close losses. We all did to varying degrees, but that is what makes this achievement so much more remarkable. They never gave up on themselves or the coaching staff.

But the giving up before Conference Play had even started was just simply too early. I always said let the Conference Play begin and let the season play out before calling Hurley a failure for not having delivered an NCAA bid in 5 years. 5 years obviously wasn't up.

And here we are :D :D
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

OK. Sounds Good. Now back to our other threads.....
0 x