THANK YOU Coach Hurley!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

THANK YOU Coach Hurley!

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I know there's a lot of threads upon today's historic victory, but I just hope everyone that doubted Hurley as a coach (me being one) really appreciates how he helped get this team on the right track and then some. So I'm sorry Coach, you proved us wrong (and right) since that loss to Fordham where we literally thought the URI basketball world was ending. We had a right to be wicked pissed, but we shouldn't have given up on you, and now your name is in a special place in the URI books forever So again, thank you Coach Hurley, please don't take another job in the future. GO RAMS.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
8 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Coach Hurley

Unread post by section(105) »

......yeah, he is a keeper...
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

We can look forward to more "will he stay or will he go" talk.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody74 wrote:We can look forward to more "will he stay or will he go" talk.
The hallmark of any successful coach/program
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Blue Man wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:We can look forward to more "will he stay or will he go" talk.
The hallmark of any successful coach/program
The hallmark of any mid major program.........
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

My feeling is that nobody owes an apology or anything, but I hope now that the monkey is off our backs we can just be a little less tightly wound and deal with losses a little better. This year was a lesson for me: this team was dead and buried like 7 or 8 different times this season, starting all the way back in early December. I held out and kept saying "hey it's not over yet, there's still a path" all the way to the Fordham game, and then even I threw the towel in. And they STILL ended up doing enough that didn't even need to win today.

I don't want us to lose our edge or our energy, but maybe we can just express our frustrations (and there will be some, even this weekend) in a way that is a little more grounded and shows a little more perspective.
10 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

TruePoint wrote:My feeling is that nobody owes an apology or anything, but I hope now that the monkey is off our backs we can just be a little less tightly wound and deal with losses a little better. This year was a lesson for me: this team was dead and buried like 7 or 8 different times this season, starting all the way back in early December. I held out and kept saying "hey it's not over yet, there's still a path" all the way to the Fordham game, and then even I threw the towel in. And they STILL ended up doing enough that didn't even need to win today.

I don't want us to lose our edge or our energy, but maybe we can just express our frustrations (and there will be some, even this weekend) in a way that is a little more grounded and shows a little more perspective.
A very simple...Yeah we were done in 2017 too...would suffice
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

TP, if Dan didn't dance this year in year 5 the off season would have been brutal. And rightly so. We were on a lot of bubbles, both coaching and tournament. The team and coach came through. It ended up well for everyone.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's amazing the transformation in just a few weeks.......from a bunch of guys that looked like strangers to each other and a coach that looked lost to this.......this team had the talent and showed it....and the coach stepped it up big time and showed that he had what it takes too.....
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Kind of interesting that the two most criticized people in the URI 2016-17 Basketball Program were Dan Hurley and EC Mathews and then Dan produces an NCAA Bid (without any play in game) plus he wins the A10 Tournament and on top of that EC Mathews is MVP of the A10 Tournament
7 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, rambone is no longer doombone....that person has left the building......

I think brady will be happy, among others....hell, I'm happy!
2 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Now that he's going to be interviewed all week, I really wish he would limit the "you knows"
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:ramster, rambone is no longer doombone....that person has left the building......

I think brady will be happy, among others....hell, I'm happy!
Good to hear. I remember how nice you were to me after that Fordham loss, but isn't it simply amazing what has happened since Fordham?
Some of us never gave up and could be referred to as blind optimists, pom-pom wavers, etc. but the team had injuries, some tough luck playing PC, Valpo, Houston all on the road in close losses, two very close games with Dayton, loss to Duke but we were in most all games. LaSalle at home was a tough loss, Fordham obviously tough after the Dayton defeat, but here we are.
Hate to see anyone get hurt as our tough as nails Jarvis Garrett did, but Dowtin got a chance he would not have gotten this season, Robinson got more minutes, and now with everyone back from the injury list we have players who have been able to prove themselves. Sometimes we have 3 point guards in the game at once in Dowtin, Robinson and Garrett.
Martin also got hurt giving Akele and Langevine much more playing time than they would have gotten otherwise and now look at our depth!!!
Hurley has done a masterful job of allocating the minutes, keeping all the players engaged and on task, getting the team to be and to stay "Locked In"
Maybe the best is yet to come "said the optimist" :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

For those of you that will worry that Dan will leave if we do damage in this tourney....I don't think he will.....I think he's found his happy place if he's really serious about retiring from coaching within 5-6 years.

I'm a greedy bastard....now that we've been to one NCAAT with him, let's do it a few more times.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rambone,
That would be great. This success is certain to give a bump to our recruiting performance as well. Nothing like the NCAA Tournament to attract attention.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we get another experienced solid big to help Cyril we could be back next year.......and of course the 2018 class will be huge, literally and figuratively.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Those of us who dared to ask the tough questions were reading a narrative written in quality w's/l's, coach changed that narrative, we sit at 3 and 1 vs top 25 rpi, 3 and 3 vs top 50 rpi, 9 and 7 vs top 100 rpi, 14 and 8 vs top 150 rpi, with exactly one "bad" loss. That's a good season tally for any team and puts us at an RPI of 31. Nice work DH!
3 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DH is a hot name again after what we have done to get to the dance

If he gets to the sweet 16 of course teams will come calling that's what happens
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

For what it's worth tonight he was talking about our reign at the top of the conference and a new era...sounded like a guy who just likes winning and will stay where he can do so.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would love it if he can stay and build a Gonzaga of the east type program

That would be a lot of fun
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

If you haven't already, find a way to contribute to this championship program by getting season tickets and donating what you can. That's the gap remaining between Dayton/VCU and us.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

You should've seen the look Dan gave the crowd after they called his name during the award ceremony. It was absolutely a "close that Jim Baron 2.0 thread" look. Too funny.
Last edited by Ram1019 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ATPTourFan wrote:If you haven't already, find a way to contribute to this championship program by getting season tickets and donating what you can. That's the gap remaining between Dayton/VCU and us.
Already committed to a doubling.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Renewing those season tix and donating for the first time. This program deserves it after this run (not that it didn't before)
1 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Re: THANK YOU Coach Hurley!

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

Each November I've been more excited for this program than the year prior, then subsequently, and consistently I've joined the league of doomsayer's. That attitude is in the past, here's to looking forward. Cheers to the Rams!

On the monetary support front, purchasing gear doesn't hurt either...
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Ram1019 wrote:You should've seen the look Dan gave the crowd after they called his name during the award ceremony. It was absolutely a "close that Jim Baron 2.0 thread" look. Too funny.
I thought that was more of a FU look as to say and you guys doubted me.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

thatRamBand wrote:Renewing those season tix and donating for the first time. This program deserves it after this run (not that it didn't before)
Just made my first donation as well. I think the timing of the rise in donations will speak volumes.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Compare and contrast.

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ATPTourFan wrote:Compare and contrast.

Disagree at the bottom.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Werd.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Ha that's weird.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I'll take the door on the right, please.
0 x