Dan Hurley is a Pretty Decent Basketball Coach

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Re: Dan Hurley is a Pretty Decent Basketball Coach

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

I never imagined that my initial post would cause so much anger. I thought the thread was a little disingenuous as every member of this board probably had serious doubts after the Fordham game. The awesome run saved not only last year, but the future. I never said we were lucky and gave credit to Hurley for coaching his best when the pressure was at its highest. One loss in that span would have changed everything, that's the truth.

I never insulted Hurley or the team. I just think you can have a really good year without a signature win. It's not a must. My example was pointing out you can win important games without it being "signature". Most casual fans remember tournament victories over the Cuse and Kansas, not Missouri and Murray St. And I believe while this team won every game they needed to in March, none were signatures, they beat lesser or comparable teams. The A-10 was down last year, so VCU and even Dayton weren't signature teams last year. That doesn't mean you don't deserve a championship any less, you play the teams on your schedule.

And you're right. Rhody gets very few chances at those signature wins and may have a year when we don't get a chance at even one. The Duke, AZ, Maryland, Ohio St and Kansas games are the signature games in recent years.

The DNP season confused me. Hurley treated it like a DNP season, but do you think teams playing us got the true credit for beating us without EC? I think that Creighton wasn't NCAA worthy at the end, but they were so good with Watson they got in because of all their initial success with him in the lineup. I think they were 2-7 without him.
1 x
'No Mercy.'
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

You just picked the wrong place to say "it was good, but not that good"... that's all...
0 x
bmat07
Abdul Fox

Unread post by bmat07 »

10 coaches on the rise entering 2017-18 CBB season
https://www.fanragsports.com/10-coaches ... bb-season/

Dan Hurley, Rhode Island: Much as Gregg Marshall made Wichita State the flagship program in the Missouri Valley, Hurley is on the verge of doing the same in the Atlantic 10 with the Rams. After nearly reaching the Sweet 16 last March, Rhode Island returns several key pieces from last season, which should keep it in the top 25 for the majority of the upcoming year. Hurley will always have interest from power five programs when positions become available, but it will take an awfully good situation for him to leave his current setup in Kingston. With the transitions in place at both Dayton and VCU, the Atlantic 10 is set to go through Rhode Island for the foreseeable future.
7 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Good ol Jon Rothstein!
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Gotta love Rothstein, squarely in Dan's pocket. But pretty spot on with his take, and to think there are still some fans who aren't 100% there yet on Dan. :)
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

There are standard Kool Aid drinkers, there are people like Blue Man and I, and then there's someone like Rothstein who's all Kool Aid all the time.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Everything is going according to plan hopefully no set backs
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

In my opinion, one of the largest factors in determining whether someone is good or great at what they do is consistency.
Rhody had a great run at the 11th hour of the season last year. It was awesome! It was magical...but...I'm also not going to forget how things were going up until the last game of the season. I love Dan's enthusiasm and determination to build a strong program. Now all I am hoping to see is some consistency. I'm hoping that this year will be a great year and will be a continuation of the great run the team made at the very end of last year. The team is deep and has talent. Now that talent needs to be utilized properly. Time will tell just how good Dan and the team really are.
I hold out hope that they can be great...consistently.
[cough] foul shooting [cough] & [cough] game winning shot plays [cough] would be a good places to start.
4 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That's my hope too Dude......Winning the close ones against the better teams is something that has to happen more often for sure.

Should be no reason why not.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:There are standard Kool Aid drinkers, there are people like Blue Man and I, and then there's someone like Rothstein who's all Kool Aid all the time.
I actually run Keaney Blue kool aid through my plumbing so I can shower in it daily.

Doing laundry is a bitch, but I don’t care.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:There are standard Kool Aid drinkers, there are people like Blue Man and I, and then there's someone like Rothstein who's all Kool Aid all the time.
I actually run Keaney Blue kool aid through my plumbing so I can shower in it daily.

Yeah, Keaney Blue underwear isn't very manly, but we do what we have to do.
1 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Blue Man wrote:

come on you know you don't do the laundry
2 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE