2017 Atlantic 10 Champions

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Re: A10 Champions

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Anyone know if we will get some A10 championship swag at Dick's, Bob's Stores, etc even URI bookstore before Thursday? I clicked the social media online ordering link but that said the t-shirt wouldn't be in stock until Thursday, so it would probably be week after next by the time it is shipped.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

LETS BUILD ANOTHER RYAN CENTER! jk but this is gonna boost our program immensely in so many ways.
3 x
GO RAMS
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well done, Rhody! Well done. 18 years. Hurley might own the worst loss in school history, but redemption is more important than that.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:LETS BUILD ANOTHER RYAN CENTER! jk but this is gonna boost our program immensely in so many ways.

This NCAA appearance should help on a multitude of levels:

Help recruiting
Help scheduling
Increased Donations
Increase future ticket sales
More exposure and fan enthusism
3 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

giovanni wrote:
Is that TJ in the background?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rhodyruckus wrote:Anyone know if we will get some A10 championship swag at Dick's, Bob's Stores, etc even URI bookstore before Thursday? I clicked the social media online ordering link but that said the t-shirt wouldn't be in stock until Thursday, so it would probably be week after next by the time it is shipped.
Stuff up on goRhody.com shop already
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

hrstrat57 wrote:
rhodyruckus wrote:Anyone know if we will get some A10 championship swag at Dick's, Bob's Stores, etc even URI bookstore before Thursday? I clicked the social media online ordering link but that said the t-shirt wouldn't be in stock until Thursday, so it would probably be week after next by the time it is shipped.
Yes I saw that earlier, it just says "Expected to arrive in store by Thursday 3/16/17" so I was hoping for an earlier possibility. I know some of those companies are fairly local so I was hoping for a 1-2 day turnaround to show up in sporting goods stores.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just bought 2 t shirts. Are you kidding me???? A10 CHAMPS!!!!!!!!
1 x
Gunboat
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Gunboat »

Hurley = Moses

He has brought us to the promised land. The exodus is over.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I want the shirts that the guys had on. Where are those???
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

hrstrat57 wrote:

URI was quick on this (merchandise) sending out an email at 2:47pm right after the game.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

You know, Jared Terrell has become my favorite player. I love that guy. He is a beast!!!!!
3 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

A-10 Tournament Champions.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

when the wife and I landed in Pittsburgh we pulled up to the gate I looked out my window and saw a work truck parked... on the side of the truck were the numbers 4 0 1. At that very moment, I knew the 'ship was in the bag.
Attachments
401.jpg
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

wgracie99 wrote:in all 3 games they trailed for a total of less then 1 minute. Unbelievable - Dan had them ready to play from second 1.
It was truly amazing how they dominated these three games. Total focus, max effort, we were just on another level. Amazing how ready they were
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:LETS BUILD ANOTHER RYAN CENTER! jk but this is gonna boost our program immensely in so many ways.
Let's get that sweet, sweet NCAA cash. I hope we invest it wisely so that we can be like a Dayton, like a VCU and just stay at the top of the conference
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

By the way, I love the addition to the top of our page, well done!
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Adam is quick!!

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Winning the A10 tournament and getting into the NCAAs and winning 8 straight to end it means that this was a successful season.

But, it is hard to imagine that a team with so much talent had to accomplish so much at the end to get an automatic 11 seed. Was it injuries to Hassan and EC, poor coaching or waiting for freshman to develop that held this team back? Undoubtedly all three. The season had become a major disappointment until it turned around after the embarrassing home loss to Fordham which followed being blown out by LaSalle at home.

A 90% healthy Hassan was only 50% effective. EC had lost a step, couldn't elevate and was inconsistent for most of the season. Then, Hassan fully recovered and EC gained confidence in his knee. Christian Thompson started the season as the sixth man bur then never became much of a factor following an injury. Jarvis Garrett's illness made it difficult for the team to play consistently.

There are many aspects to being a successful head coach. Dan Hurley can recruit, get players to gel as a team and play tough defense. But he is deficient at coaching offense and imparting end-game strategy which was extremely costly to this team. His pedigree didn't make up for not spending more time as an assistant. He is in need of mentoring by someone at the college level to accelerate his development as a well rounded head coach.

In the end it was the improvement of freshmen Langevine and Dowtin aided by OJT following Martin's and Garrett's injuries that gave this team the ability to reach new heights when Hassan and EC returned to form. Langevine became an inside force and Jeff Dowtin gave URI a real point guard with some size for now and the future. What a different a true point guard adds in making everyone better and minimizing unforced errors. Garrett is not a true point guard.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Justns11 wrote:
giovanni wrote:

Most likely. It looks like Buchanan and the Projo had a blurb on him being at the tournament in their notes section on Sunday (see link below).

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... ty=ar02802
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

RF1 wrote:
Justns11 wrote:
giovanni wrote:

Most likely. It looks like Buchanan and the Projo had a blurb on him being at the tournament in their notes section on Sunday (see link below).

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... ty=ar02802
TJ was there the entire weekend. It looked like he enjoyed the win on Sunday as much as the players. He was a huge part of changing the culture in Kingston.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote:Winning the A10 tournament and getting into the NCAAs and winning 8 straight to end it means that this was a successful season.

But, it is hard to imagine that a team with so much talent had to accomplish so much at the end to get an automatic 11 seed. Was it injuries to Hassan and EC, poor coaching or waiting for freshman to develop that held this team back? Undoubtedly all three. The season had become a major disappointment until it turned around after the embarrassing home loss to Fordham which followed being blown out by LaSalle at home.

A 90% healthy Hassan was only 50% effective. EC had lost a step, couldn't elevate and was inconsistent for most of the season. Then, Hassan fully recovered and EC gained confidence in his knee. Christian Thompson started the season as the sixth man bur then never became much of a factor following an injury. Jarvis Garrett's illness made it difficult for the team to play consistently.

There are many aspects to being a successful head coach. Dan Hurley can recruit, get players to gel as a team and play tough defense. But he is deficient at coaching offense and imparting end-game strategy which was extremely costly to this team. His pedigree didn't make up for not spending more time as an assistant. He is in need of mentoring by someone at the college level to accelerate his development as a well rounded head coach.

In the end it was the improvement of freshmen Langevine and Dowtin aided by OJT following Martin's and Garrett's injuries that gave this team the ability to reach new heights when Hassan and EC returned to form. Langevine became an inside force and Jeff Dowtin gave URI a real point guard with some size for now and the future. What a different a true point guard adds in making everyone better and minimizing unforced errors. Garrett is not a true point guard.
So according to you does the coach who was a point guard himself get any credit for weathering that storm of losing 2 starters and his true freshman point guard developing throughout the year?
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Last edited by Rhodyhooopz 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

I woke up this morning and still can't believe what happened. What a weekend for our program & fans. Savoring every single moment.

Also; the A10 put up some fantastic pictures on their Facebook page. A few favorites:

2 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

theblueram wrote:I want the shirts that the guys had on. Where are those???

They sold them in the arena. I asked the vendor and they said they only made 150. I bought 5 for the whole family.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Blue Man wrote:
Rhody72 wrote:Winning the A10 tournament and getting into the NCAAs and winning 8 straight to end it means that this was a successful season.

So according to you does the coach who was a point guard himself get any credit for weathering that storm of losing 2 starters and his true freshman point guard developing throughout the year?
'72, class still half empty, I guess....
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Amazing, since NCAAs or Bust was '72's motto from way back on the Projo boards.

I'm convinced it's an attention seeking thing, being so contrarian.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

To Section(105): The first line of my last post labeled this as a successful season. I try to realistically appraise OUR team rather than being a zealous fan who overrates our performance when we win and slam the team when we lose. If trying to stay realistic through the good and bad is being a contrarian, then I plead guilty. But, you are wrong if you are implying that i am always negative. I see the good and post it.

To Blue Man: If Jarvis hadn't gotten sick, Dan would never had made Jeff his starting PG. Do you remember Dan having Jarvis (the shortest player on the team) inbound the ball from the sidelines with 9 seconds left in regulation against Davidson with URI up 3.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

Rhody72 wrote:To Section(105): The first line of my last post labeled this as a successful season. I try to realistically appraise OUR team rather than being a zealous fan who overrates our performance when we win and slam the team when we lose. If trying to stay realistic through the good and bad is being a contrarian, then I plead guilty. But, you are wrong if you are implying that i am always negative. I see the good and post it.

To Blue Man: If Jarvis hadn't gotten sick, Dan would never had made Jeff his starting PG. Do you remember Dan having Jarvis (the shortest player on the team) inbound the ball from the sidelines with 9 seconds left in regulation against Davidson with URI up 3.
This team could win a national championship and you'd still be bitching. Get a life.
2 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

"Garrett is not a true point guard."- '72
This is pure unadulterated BULLSHIT!
Jarvis certainly IS a pure PG, and has been
since he got here.
It's no coincidence that the team began it's hot streak
when he returned and was getting more minutes.
Hurley has said as much.
3 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Associate Head Coach, David Cox:

And kind words from Coach Ed Cooley:

Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rodfromcranston wrote:"Garrett is not a true point guard."- '72
This is pure unadulterated BULLSHIT!
Jarvis certainly IS a pure PG, and has been
since he got here.
It's no coincidence that the team began it's hot streak
when he returned and was getting more minutes.
Hurley has said as much.
I really don't understand this all or nothing thing with Jarvis/Jeff?

Jarvis is a stud battling a crippling illness. Jarvis and Jeff both bring different skillsets to the table. They both play at the same time in some rotations.

Jarvis is most definitely one of the best point guards in the A10. That is undeniable. Just because there is another player who could develop into being better, or offers different skill sets, doesn't make him any less valuable.

He won us the VCU game with his free throws this year. He has been an invaluable resource coming off the bench...do you understand how fortunate we are to have 2 starting caliber point guards on our team?

WHY ARE PEOPLE FINDING THINGS TO BE UNHAPPY ABOUT THE WEEK BEFORE OUR FIRST NCAA GAME IN SINCE BEFORE NAPSTER WAS RELEASED!?!?!
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Re: 2017 Atlantic 10 Champions

Unread post by The Dude »

UMMMM....YEAH...SO...I missed all of it.
Yup.
ALL.
OF.
IT.
I missed every game Rhody played in the tournament. Shaking my head.
Why? Work...worked right through Friday and the weekend...sigh. Feels like Endless Summer...."you should've been here yesterday"...oh well. Go Rhody! Give'm hell!
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If Jarvis isn't a pure Pg what is he ?? Not a shooting guard

I don't know what more you want out of him he is tough as nails sets up the offense and shoots the open jumper when he has it
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

The Dude wrote:UMMMM....YEAH...SO...I missed all of it.
Yup.
ALL.
OF.
IT.
I missed every game Rhody played in the tournament. Shaking my head.
Why? Work...worked right through Friday and the weekend...sigh. Feels like Endless Summer...."you should've been here yesterday"...oh well. Go Rhody! Give'm hell!
Luckily someone captured the final and dubbed over it with Steve and Don. See this: http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6719
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I am just so impressed. Impressed by the two transfers that are all in on the team. Impressed by the freshmen that make play after play.

I am also very impressed with the usual suspects, but really the newcomers I am particularly impressed by them.

Should there be an A10 Champs added to the headline banner of KeaneyBlue? Or some memorialization of the accomplishment?
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

There already is and it's glorious!
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

When I read "Jarvis isn't a true point guard" I think to myself, "you should check out this game called basketball, sounds like you've never seen it before"

Because I've been a dick this season about calling out people who attack others personally for stating their opinion I'm going to be careful to say, 72, that might be the dumbest take of the season, I'm not calling you dumb, but a statement like that is sooooo off the wall, it really does make me want to put it in the imortal words of Redd Foxx
sanford and son.jpg
and I completely agree with ATP, you're being a contrarian for some reason. Also saying something that foolish takes credit away from the rest of the things you might wax about.

This team is playing awesome basketball, coaches and players have responded and raised every aspect of play, if you're not proud of them and overjoyed for them now, I don't know what you're waiting for or what it's going to take.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Running Ram,
I think '72 was parroting that obnoxious
Doug Gottleib.
Gottlieb said a few times that Jarvis
was not a pure point guard.
I blasted him on Twitter and told him to
do some research.
Clown!
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Running Ram,
I think '72 was parroting that obnoxious
Doug Gottleib.
Gottlieb said a few times that Jarvis
was not a pure point guard.
I blasted him on Twitter and told him to
do some research.
Clown!
good for you, Rod. I'm not really a big Gottleib fan.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

72 is always like that

He once questioned Jimmy Barons form at the line
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

reef wrote:72 is always like that

I think I remember this.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Rod, glad you blasted Gottleib, I heard that, what a clown.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

reef wrote:72 is always like that

true story
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I've had the same signature for years now, but with the A10 win I'm really loving it now!
1 x