Bill Walton...

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Bill Walton...

Unread post by Ramtastico »

...just called us a Truck Stop in response to J Lunardi saying USC's bid is dependent upon what Rhode Island does tomorrow. BW said "no more Truck stops, USC must get in from the league of champions ". I hope we get a Pac12 team in the first round!
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Bill Walton...

Unread post by TruePoint »

I know people find Bill Walton endearing but I find him to be an embarrassment and a dumbfuck. The combination of him being really, really high on live TV and not knowing anything about college basketball outside of Los Angeles make his opinion not worth anything. But if he was smarter he would know that talking without knowing what he is talking about is bad.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

If they're in a conference of champions why does USC have 3 less top 100 wins than us? Why did they play 20 games outside of the top 100?
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He is a goof, only knows about PAC 12 not the rest of country
He thinks winner of PAC 12 should be a 1 seed also both USC and Cal getting at larges
He has no clue
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

He thinks UCLA, Oregon and Arizona should all be #1 seeds. He's a caricature of a homer. My dad loves Bill Walton and the only person he likes that I love making fun of to him more is John Stockton.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

So Lunardi thinks that if we lose, USC gets in and we don't...of course he also assumes Syracuse gets in.

What a fucktard.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Haha, I must be the only one who doesn't mind him. I think the key is to just never take anything he says seriously. I find him entertaining. Maybe I am biased because I see him riding his bike around town in San Diego all the time. Always comes across as a nice guy.
Last edited by adam914 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Take it as a good sign. USC must be in trouble if Walton is pimping them.

As I wrote in another thread re USC - their last win over a top 100 team was back on January 25th. Since then, they went 6-5 having only beaten the dregs of the Pac 10 - Washington 3x, Wash St 2x, and Oregon State. Their average RPI win is considerably higher than URI. They have just 2 wins top 50 RPI like URI but have less overall games and a worse record vs the top 100 RPI at 5-8 (URI even with a loss tomorrow would be 8-8).
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

adam914 wrote:Haha, I must be the only one who doesn't mind him. I think the key is to just never take anything he says seriously. I find him entertaining. Maybe I am biased because I see him riding his bike around town in San Diego all the time. Always comes across as a nice guy.
Exactly. It's the banter w/ the play-by-play guy who keeps him in check that makes it funny. He doesn't take himself seriously. Why should we? Life is too short.
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I like Walton, too...'dead head...funny...doesn't take himself seriously...great contributor to the C's when he played for them and as good as he was in his own right...still idolizes Larry.... Wish I got to hear him more often...
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Walton is like the Johnny Most of the Pac 12 a very jaded view of things calls it the league of Champions. When was the last time one of them won Bill ? Without looking it up I am thinking Arizona in 97 . Thank God no one takes him seriously.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Right, but I don't think he really believes anything he is saying either. It's an act.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

You have to take Walton as seriously as he takes himself -- not very. Shooting off his mouth is part of his shtick.

Would you believe that once upon a time he almost never spoke in public? http://www.billwalton.com/espn-column-a ... stuttering
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I like Walton in smaller samples than listening to him for the whole
Pac12 tournament.
He's funny, but he goes to the well too often, with his
faux arguments with Pasch.
Dismissing the Big 12 as "truckstop", and any other conference
is absurd.
I still like him better than the obnoxious Doug Gottleib.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.