Whats a good enough season?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Whats a good enough season?

Unread post by KillSteenKill »

For many years this day of URI being in the Final 68 seemed like it would never come. A lot of late season flops have occurred and we have all felt the sting of that. Obviously we all have had the streak of not being in since 1999 affecting this thought process. My question is what result to you would make you consider the season a success...
an A10 championship and noncompetitive loss in the round of 64
A10 finalists and a win in the first four to fall in the round of 64

What is your baseline scenario for this season to be a success? I get that its not black and white and I will share my answer but I am curious to hear some of yours...
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Whats a good enough season?

Unread post by Rhody74 »

At the beginning of the year, I was h o ping fir sweet 16. Now, I will be content with a competitive game in the 1st round
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I just want to hear our name called tomorrow then I consider the season a success
5 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I want more....we are playing well enough right now to make it to the Sweet 16......

But yup, we need to make it first....so close
2 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

The Goal of any season at URI is to end the season playing in the NCAA. Winning the A10 regular season, and Tourney are a rolling 4 year goal and check point. I fully acknowledge we have one tournament and never the regular season in 30 years, But I was asked what the goal was
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This season will be a success if we make the tournament.

I never went for the 6 seed and top 20 ranked hype before this season.....thought we could be an NCAAT tourney team though and with the right matchups reach the Sweet 16.....

It's all there for us with a win tomorrow. It hasn't been pretty getting there, but all of that will largely be forgotten if we make it.....

Funny thing is, we're playing like a 6 seed and top 20 team....right now. Just keep it up...and if we lose to a better team at some point just tip our cap and say we did our best......

Maybe we can even win a game with a buzzer beater now....who knows.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It's great we are finally living up to the pre season hype, took awhile but it is a very fun team to watch
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

2 NCAA Credits please. Pretty sure the program could use $500k a year for six years coming from two game appearances in this year's Tournament.

But sure would be nice to get two banners raised in the Ryan Center next Fall.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ATPTourFan wrote:2 NCAA Credits please. Pretty sure the program could use $500k a year for six years coming from two game appearances in this year's Tournament.

But sure would be nice to get two banners raised in the Ryan Center next Fall.
It would be nice to rest up and just make a deep run into March...we can get plenty of credits that way!
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I expect to hear URI's name called tomorrow.
With the way the team has performed, I expect a win in the first round.
Just being there is nice, but......
THINK BIG!
5 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I'd like to meet PC again and even the season series.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That would be beyond amazing.....
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Possibly if we lose tomorrow may be the only way we play them in a play in game
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

true reef, let's not lose......but if we do, I'd take that game.

Just get in.....whoever we would play....it's winnable.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Lunardi just said on ESPN he has USC out but that could change if URI loses

Lunardi is a boob
0 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Interesting question because the answer changes every year, but for this year and the way this team has played, anything less than an NCAA bid would be a crime.

And if I'm allowed a personal stamp, I enrolled at URI in the Fall of '99 which means I've never seen our beloved Rams dance. Close so many times, but never handling business the way they have this year.

Hass is my all-time favorite Ram (remember, we're talking '99-'00 and beyond) and I want so badly for him to keep shining on a national stage.

We're so close as a program to making that next step. It is not "da process" it's about going and getting it. We have great, likeable players that work hard. They play their asses off and when they're firing like they are now, it's a 100% unselfish bunch. These guys love to see their fellow teammates thrive. Basically, the kind of team you love as a fan and hate to play as an opponent. That is the '17 Rams at their best.

We're in a competitive conference, we play in a terrific building, shit, even our color scheme is beautiful. This team and program deserves the attention of being in the tournament because they've earned it. A win tomorrow will only hammer that point further, so why not? Let's introduce the rest of the county to Rhody hoops and really build something!

Short answer: An NCAA berth is a good season, haha.
7 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes indeed this team deserves to play in a NCAA game
Let's hope our dreams are realized tomorrow
0 x
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by KillSteenKill »

Great hearing the range of answers. For me this season is now a success regardless if they win another game. We are 4-0 atm this March. It is an amazing thing to see. Even if the worst case occurs with them losing tomorrow and then getting screwed out of an at large bid I would still consider the season a success. I do not see us missing out on an at large bid and I am positive we may be the most likely team to win an NCAA game or two. Go Rhody
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The team's goal for this year was to win the A10 and be in the NCAA Tournament this season. That's mine too.
2 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

mstyles22 wrote:Interesting question because the answer changes every year, but for this year and the way this team has played, anything less than an NCAA bid would be a crime.

And if I'm allowed a personal stamp, I enrolled at URI in the Fall of '99 which means I've never seen our beloved Rams dance. Close so many times, but never handling business the way they have this year.

I do wonder how many on this board are freshmen in fall of 99 cause I know of at least a couple others with us that show up on here.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

urirx wrote:
mstyles22 wrote:Interesting question because the answer changes every year, but for this year and the way this team has played, anything less than an NCAA bid would be a crime.

I do wonder how many on this board are freshmen in fall of 99 cause I know of at least a couple others with us that show up on here.
Another one here, freshman in fall of '99.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

I remember my junior year of high school thinking I might want to go to Rhody (grew up in north Jersey, far enough but close enough from home) and watching Tyson Wheeler ruin everyone's favorite Cinderella team Valpo in the Sweet 16. Then I remember after already being accepted watching Odom...

Then came Jerry D and a lot of bad basketball before a gleam of light senior year. Did you guys storm the court with me when we beat Seton Hall in the NIT game? What a fun night.

Dawan Robinson, Brian Woodward, Parfit Bitee, JBJ, Seawright, Will Daniels, Cothran, Ulmer, Delroy, Munford...a lot a really solid players who play basketball for a living. Marquis Jones, Will Martell, TJ...great guys that grew up in the program. All came close to dancing but something always went wrong along the way.
0 x
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

mstyles22 wrote: Then came Jerry D and a lot of bad basketball before a gleam of light senior year. Did you guys storm the court with me when we beat Seton Hall in the NIT game? What a fun night.
Besides the 1998 tourney run and Lamar''s game winner in 1999, this night is probobly my fondest memory as a URI fan. My father was a police officer and was on the sideline for that game. I went down to say hi in the 2nd half and stayed there from the remainder of the night, right under the basket where Rhody stormed back from being down double digits in the 2nd half to Dawan hitting that pull up game winning 3. The rest is a blur but I've gotten to relive that thanks to ATP hooking it up with the game replay on dvd. Kind of sad that it was only an NIT game but life as a URI fan has produced more heartbreak than anything else so there's not a ton of options to choose from.

Tomorrow can change all of that. Going into the season I enjoyed reading all of the hype but at the end of the day the goal for the past decade + has been getting back to the NCAA tournament. I'd consider the season a successful one if we do that, but with the way this team is playing right now we could very well make some noise during the first weekend.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Making the tournament is what matters. No way we will play in the first round.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

A successful season for me is whenever the team plays 100% of their schedule to their full potential. If they play their best, and lose every single game then that is all any of us can ask of students representing the University.

I only get mad when I see them play poorly, under-achieve, throw away games. There was only one game all year that I thought to myself, 'we are out-matched'. All other 8 losses they could have won if they played like they have the past two in the A-10 tourney. Turn-overs, mental mistakes, sloppy passes, poor FT's, disinterested (Fordham). For me, every game, sans Duke was in their hands to win or lose.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rhody72 wrote:Making the tournament is what matters. No way we will play in the first round.
So there's no way they win today and secure the auto bid? That would bypass Dayton and First Four.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......dancing.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

mstyles22 wrote: Then came Jerry D and a lot of bad basketball before a gleam of light senior year. Did you guys storm the court with me when we beat Seton Hall in the NIT game? What a fun night.
I sure did, although I got a talking to afterwards. I was working as a student intern in the athletic media relations office and was working the scorers table for that game tracking substitutions. I got so caught up in the moment when Dawan hit that shot that I totally forgot I was working and supposed to be impartial and I hopped over the scorers table and stormed the court. It did not go over well with my bosses. I'd do it again every single time.
Last edited by adam914 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

Of course I stormed the court. Who in their right as a student wouldn't at that point? And the wait to see if we beat USC as the opening of the Ryan center. How long that review was as the entire crowd just went silent waiting and then seeing the uri player... can't remember which one, jump out of the refs huddle to start the celebration.

Now that that memory came forward, today feels a little like USC or uri with the refs in the huddle. Hope to se the uri player step out and celebrate again!
2 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

DanInAZ wrote:A successful season for me is whenever the team plays 100% of their schedule to their full potential. If they play their best, and lose every single game then that is all any of us can ask of students representing the University.

I only get mad when I see them play poorly, under-achieve, throw away games. There was only one game all year that I thought to myself, 'we are out-matched'. All other 8 losses they could have won if they played like they have the past two in the A-10 tourney. Turn-overs, mental mistakes, sloppy passes, poor FT's, disinterested (Fordham). For me, every game, sans Duke was in their hands to win or lose.

I was going to post the same thing. You beat me to it, Dan.
It's been a very long season. We've definitely had our share of ups and downs.
Last night I spent a lot of time reflecting on this program. We've seen everything this year. We've seen a team with high expectations coming in play well and not so well. We've seen one of our biggest wins in years and one of our worst losses, as well.

What sticks out in my mind right now is how this team has finally come together. It would have been easy to throw in the towel after that Fordham game. But, somehow, the coaches and players have found a way to stay focussed and turn things around. We've seen this program mature right before our eyes. Hopefully, it isn't too late.

No one knows what's going to happen today. We could win and put all doubt to rest, or we could lose and end up in the NIT.

I've been as critical as anyone when things have gone South. But, as long as I see a team giving it all they have today, whether we win or lose, I'll be satisfied. Teams can play hard and still lose. It happens often.

It's going to awfully hard to duplicate what we saw yesterday. But, as long as the same effort is there, I'll be satisfied.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good stories guys

Let's get this win and end this long drought
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Good enough right now!!! But can be even better!!!
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

User avatarMongo
Lamar Odom
Re: Jim Baron 2.0
Postby Mongo » 3 months ago

I know this may be unpopular, but could we ace this thread? Lots of emotions here tonight, but this clearly is an overreaction.

We lost to 2 good teams in hustle environments. The Valpo loss was on us, I think we were sleepwalking that game. PeeC was more about them hitting shots when it counted and we didn't. There was no question this game was going to come down to the wire and they earned the victory, it sucks, but we played with much more fire today. We are not a top 25 team, not yet, we saw that in the Brown game. We have every opportunity to become that team this year. We need a leader first and foremost, we need someone like T.J. Buch to emerge, a vocal/emotional boost. No one has taken that role yet. I think Dan should shake up the lineup, basketball IQ is an issue with KI, play Akele more. I think EC should be playing about 20 mins a game until his confidence comes back, and I disagree with some of you, he is a top notch scorer and will click at some point this season.

Please don't compare D Hurley to this Bafoon, the best thing CFL ever did was Jimmy... Boy he was fun to watch.

Let's let this play out before we start getting too crazy.

Go Rhody!!!
7 x

Hate to tell you I TOLD YOU SO.. I was pretty right on here on that stupid Thread.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote:The team's goal for this year was to win the A10 and be in the NCAA Tournament this season. That's mine too.
Accomplished

Now to really create some noise in the NCAA Tournament :D :D
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

KillSteenKill wrote:For many years this day of URI being in the Final 68 seemed like it would never come. A lot of late season flops have occurred and we have all felt the sting of that. Obviously we all have had the streak of not being in since 1999 affecting this thought process. My question is what result to you would make you consider the season a success...
an A10 championship and noncompetitive loss in the round of 64
A10 finalists and a win in the first four to fall in the round of 64

What is your baseline scenario for this season to be a success? I get that its not black and white and I will share my answer but I am curious to hear some of yours...
Winning the 2017 Atlantic 10 Championship will do nicely!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I really think we can beat Creighton.....hopefully Preston doesn't remember too much haha......Oregon might be another story.

But right now I don't care.....we have 4 great days to enjoy this ride....I will be in AC and avoid this storm until Thursday, but will read and enjoy this board while I'm there.
3 x
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Paleoguy »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /99118524/

Number 11 seed Rhode Island will go to the Sweet 16:

"One of the benefits of playing with your back against the wall as a bubble team during the better part of February and early March is that mentality carries over into the NCAA tournament. That's what coach Dan Hurley's team will bring to the table — a killer edge that helped it win the Atlantic 10 tournament. More than anything, the Rams are healthy, on an eight-game winning streak and hitting their stride at the right time.

They have explosive offensive weapons in E.C. Matthews and Hassan Martin, but it's on defense where the Rams turned it up in the last month, rising to No. 32 in the country in KenPom defensive efficiency. They also have a nice pathway to get to the Sweet 16 via key injuries to their opponents. No. 6 seed Creighton lost its starting point guard Maurice Watson Jr. to a knee injury in the middle of the season, and Oregon lost one of its best players in versatile forward Chris Boucher, who tore his ACL in the Pac-12 tournament."
1 x