Mike Aaman

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Mike Aaman

Unread post by Rhody74 »

still suffering from his concussion, it seems. On Twitter this evening:

Mike Aaman ‏@mike_aaman
Headache.never goes away

Hope he can play Thursday ....
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Mike Aaman

Unread post by reef »

Not good, concussions as we know due to football are very serious, I doubt the docs clear him
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Interesting thing on concussion safety. Football makes a big deal about guys sitting out parts if games Bc of serious blows to the head. MMA has a mandatory 90 sit rule for KOs...even the "flash" variety.

Football is still way behind the curve protecting its players
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

He should sit until he is 100% symptom free, plus a day. I think we are finally starting to really recognize the problems brought on by head injuries, and there is no way athletes should be permitted to subject themselves to serious permanent damage by returning too soon after suffering such an injury and not having the chance to fully heal.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

It's not like football, where there's a 100% chance he'll get hit during a game.
How many head injuries do you see in basketball?
If he can be cleared by the medical staff, he should be able to play.
I've had multiple concussions, and they vary, depending on how seriously you're
hit.
Remember, Mike had a mysterious multiple day stay in the hospital in the fall.
The photos showed some head trauma, so who knows if he was concussed then?
That could add to the lenght of his being out.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Multiple concussions for Rod.....so now we know....just kidding Rod......I have nothing in my head to concuss.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

Hope he can heal up soon and return to our Rams, but defenitely want him to be 100% before he tries to make a return. Get well soon Aaman.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I wonder if he travelled with the team to California?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am sure the docs will have the final say on the matter
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Looks like Mike went home.

Mike Aaman‏@mike_aaman
Tired
from Hazlet, NJ
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I did an MRI on a lady this weekend, former military, tough looking butch broad type in great shape, about 50. She got hit with a pipe in the head in oct, concussion, constant head aches, vertigo, ringing in both ears ever since. She had some edema on her brain in a not so ideal area. She described her injury as 'having her bell rung'.

I've had my bell rung a couple of times playing football, and seemed ok, but I think, from what I have seen in the practice, it's kind of hard to predict how these things are going to go. Sometimes the recovery time can be extensive.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

jcru wrote:I did an MRI on a lady this weekend, former military, tough looking butch broad type in great shape, about 50. She got hit with a pipe in the head in oct, concussion, constant head aches, vertigo, ringing in both ears ever since. She had some edema on her brain in a not so ideal area. She described her injury as 'having her bell rung'.

I've had my bell rung a couple of times playing football, and seemed ok, but I think, from what I have seen in the practice, it's kind of hard to predict how these things are going to go. Sometimes the recovery time can be extensive.
Ouch .... hope Mike gets better soon. He was making fine progress, but I don't want him sacrificing his long-term health by coming back too soon.
Last edited by Rhody74 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

yeah his long term health is more important. of course we could use him for tonight..but our guys are brawlers like their coach.

rather have him 100% in conference games, than risk something tonight or against brown.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Concussions are a big issue these days. I'm sure doctors will be super careful on this.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

It doesn't take much to mess up your brain. I've taken plenty of shots to the head over the years...mostly in soccer (like taking a full force line drive ball to the face). One or two of which were brutal black outs...still conscious but no lights on...just darkness for a bit. It's scary stuff. There are times when I can remember things really clearly, but there are many, many, many times when I hardly remember what I was thinking 5 minutes ago or what I did the day before. I'll walk into a room and instantly forget why I went there. I have absolutely no idea if any of my memory issues are related to concussions. I'm not saying they are. I'm not a doctor. I'm just saying "it wouldn't surprise me", if they are related to all the hits in the head.
I hope Mike Aaman takes his time and doesn't rush his recovery.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

MikeA is a banger inside and draws a lot of contact with his aggressive play. You can't risk sending him out on the court until he's 100%.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Get back soon Mike Aaman !!!
0 x