Bubble tracker 2017

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Bubble tracker 2017

Unread post by reef »

If we beat Davidson then lose to VCU I will be pissed if we don't get in

I don't want to be screwed over by the committee

We did what we needed to do in that scenario

Cuse better not make it over us with their 2-11 road record their 86 RPI and their 5 bad losses
All 6 of their top 50 wins were at home
1 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

posted this in the bracketology but can put it here too

Here is where I see it:

the last spot 2 spots in the field are between Kansas State, URI, Syracuse and Illinois St
Kansas St is probably the safest of those 4
That leaves URI, Syracuse and Illinois St for the last spot

This could all change if:
-Middle Tennessee doesn't win the CUSA Final tomorrow
-SMU or Cincy doesn't win the AAC championship
- URI or VCU doesn't win the A10 championship
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Joe lunardi doesn't pick the field.

He also is far from the best at being accurate on selection Sunday.

Either way we are the best team left in this tournament and can prove it.

If we can't beat Davidson in this situation today, we don't deserve to dance.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yup.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote:If we beat Davidson then lose to VCU I will be pissed if we don't get in

Cuse better not make it over us with their 2-11 road record their 86 RPI and their 5 bad losses
Fret not, reef, they're going to win the whole thing here. Then there will be several board exchanges about how they would/would not have made it if they hadn't won it all. Looking forward to that. :lol:
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Actually I don't think UConn is the biggest threat to steal a bid......UCF might be.

Watched some of the 2nd half of the ECU/SMU game.......SMU started choking big time.....ECU started making 3's from NBA range....58 2nd half points....SMU could be very vulnerable today.....

But Cincy should get it done.....hard to see them losing to UConn....and they just might remember their loss to UConn in that 3 OT game.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote:If we beat Davidson then lose to VCU I will be pissed if we don't get in

You can make some valid arguments about the selection process. However, most of the blame should be placed on the Rhody program for falling short. If they had only closed out the Dayton home game (4 pt lead with less than 30 seconds), not lost at home to Fordham, or come away with at least one win vs Valpo/PC/UH, they would not be sweating it out. A team from a non power conference should never put its fate in the hands of the selection committee as they will usually not get fair treatment in such a rigged process.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I do believe that a win against Davidson today does it...but if you get to Sunday you might as well win. No excuses.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RF1 wrote:

You can make some valid arguments about the selection process. However, most of the blame should be placed on the Rhody program for falling short. If they had only closed out the Dayton home game (4 pt lead with less than 30 seconds), not lost at home to Fordham, or come away with at least one win vs Valpo/PC/UH, they would not be sweating it out. A team from a non power conference should never put its fate in the hands of the selection committee as they will usually not get fair treatment in such a rigged process.
While this is all true and fair, now is not the time to dwell on it. If we end up needing to do a post-mortem on why we failed, then we can look back at this stuff. For now, the opportunity is in front of us.

Anyways, I think the flip side of that coin is that you can credit this team for, as you point out, suffering so many setbacks and having been left for dead so many times and yet they are still standing and maybe one win against a team they've beat twice already from overcoming all those setbacks. It's pretty impressive resiliency.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
RF1 wrote:

While this is all true and fair, now is not the time to dwell on it. If we end up needing to do a post-mortem on why we failed, then we can look back at this stuff. For now, the opportunity is in front of us.

Anyways, I think the flip side of that coin is that you can credit this team for, as you point out, suffering so many setbacks and having been left for dead so many times and yet they are still standing and maybe one win against a team they've beat twice already from overcoming all those setbacks. It's pretty impressive resiliency.
Go back to the Fordham game thread and this team and especially the HC and staff were dead and buried by 99+%.
Yet,as TP said, they are still standing.
Many said there was no possible way they would win out after Fordham and yet here we are with our longest winning streak of the season and counting.

No need to redo the blame game again because it already happened - just reread Fordham.

Just need to look forward. And check plane tickets to Dayton or whatever other city we might be playing in.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Hopefully it will all be moot, but for whatever it's worth the front page tracker is updated through today's games with only the Middle Tennessee game yet to be played (that's the one we want to stay green).

Peripherally, Nevada is in control over Colorado St. at halftime of the MWC final (need them to win); Cincy is up comfortably on UConn just into the second half of the AAC semi (need them to win); SMU took care of the other potential bid stealer in that conference, UCF, earlier today. Likewise, Kentucky put an end to Alabama's bid to crash the party (and pop the bubble). Maybe RR02 can check my work here, but I don't think there are any more bid-stealers alive after Colorado St., UConn and Marshall. The only team that is still playing that is not definitely in the field but could win a league by beating a team that is definitely in the field is URI.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Here come UCONN, they have cut it to 5 with 12 minutes left

down to needing Cincy (or SMU tomorrow) and Middle Tennessee to win

I don't see Nevada stealing a bid if they lose
Last edited by twisted3829 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I agree but we've been monitoring them.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

You guys jumped up to #40 on the Dance Card...sure looks you are in at this point, and that #40 rank only reflects the win over SBU...your win over Davidson is not yet accounted for.

Congratulations!

http://www.unf.edu/~jcoleman/dance.htm
Last edited by daytonflyerfan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Shout out DFF with a solid 84 posts on Keaney Blue. Thats strong KB participation. Showing up during a good time for URI as oppose to some Fryer types.

I wonder if Ace makes an appearance tmrw?
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

dff - thank you. We appreciate your graciousness. Hopefully most of the league is rooting for us tomorrow because it's good for the A10 to get at least 3 teams in, but best case we get 3 in either way.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Thanks DFF! Always a class act....read the Flyer board occasionally.....you guys know your stuff......

Dayton looks like an 8 seed......maybe a 9.....no worries.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

URI is on the cover of ESPN.com right now with the headline "How safe is Rhode Island?"

Just scroll down a bit.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Cincy is gonna hold on and knock out UConn

1 game left to sweat out, Middle Tennessee tonight at 8:30 on CBSSN
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Cincy wins, Nevada wins.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Nice job Cincy. A legit marquee neutral site win if ever there was.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Palm has us 2nd-to-last in
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

That dance card DFF posted loves us. So I love it.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, if we win tomorrow I think we jump a few teams, although things are probably pretty well set by now, with only one other game affecting who gets in....the ETSU game at 9:30.

Lose and we'll be in Dayton...against PC? Haha.....

Win, and we'll be a 10 seed imo.
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Middle Tennessee up 11 with 6 minutes to go in the first half. Hopefully they keep it up
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Are we in right now even with a VCU loss ??

Or will the committee pull down our pants and stick it to us ???
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ATPTourFan wrote:Nice job Cincy. A legit marquee neutral site win if ever there was.
lol remember when some people were saying Cinci was just OK and it didn't really count as a good win.

ROFLLFOFFLFLFLFLFLFLLFLFLFL
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Losing is not an option......I don't care if we win by 1 or 10......just win....

At this point, who gives a shit about style points......

In most of our wins this year [and of course losses too] we have looked ugly at times.....

However something has changed in this tournament......whatever it is, just keep doing it.

They are finally playing with confidence.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Not that they'll lose, but if so one thing in our advantage is the committee seems less and less inclined to change the bracket well into Sunday afternoon.

The committee's ideal scenario would be to have all the team's decided with maybe moving team's up or down a seed based on Sunday results.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes I hope that's the case but nobody knows for sure what the committee is thinking

We pass the eye test now and we are meeting all the criteria

I guess we just have to trust the committee we don't get hosed in case we fall short tomorrow
2 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

rambone 78 wrote:Losing is not an option......I don't care if we win by 1 or 10......just win....

In most of our wins this year [and of course losses too] we have looked ugly at times.....

However something has changed in this tournament......whatever it is, just keep doing it.

IMO the change is in EC. He finally trust his leg. It happened during the second half of the Davidson game at the Ryan Center
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

reef wrote:Yes I hope that's the case but nobody knows for sure what the committee is thinking

We pass the eye test now and we are meeting all the criteria

I guess we just have to trust the committee we don't get hosed in case we fall short tomorrow
As I've said for months now...the biggest thing for me is the marquee win. We finally have one. We haven't had one since 1998.

That is the difference maker.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

urirx wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Losing is not an option......I don't care if we win by 1 or 10......just win....

IMO the change is in EC. He finally trust his leg. It happened during the second half of the Davidson game at the Ryan Center
Not only that but it's how he's played. Since that 2nd half he's passed up risky outside shots, made the extra pass, and gone inside to the rim to score and get to the line.

This EC is the one we've needed and he's showing up at the right time.

19 points on NINE shots. NINE. That's efficiency.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Joe wrote:Middle Tennessee up 11 with 6 minutes to go in the first half. Hopefully they keep it up
That female announcer from our game yesterday was about a billion times easier to listen to than Pete Gilles on this middle Tennessee game. Sorry
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Loving EC game right now great to see that 3 point shot falling

He is ytrusting that knee now getting some explosion back

Also getting on a roll from the line
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

EC has his confidence back and above all he's playing within himself and playing smarter basketball....he doesn't need to be the alpha dog out there with JG back and both he and JD playing well.....

Tomorrow Terrell could be key since things will get physical out there......we have options...and guys are playing together and complementing each other, instead of everyone going off and trying to play hero ball which nobody is very good at.

This team BB thing is relatively new here....haha but it's what they needed to become a good TEAM.....

Somewhere a light bulb came on......
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The bubble tracker is complete. End of the day, every team on here finished in the red except Rhody and Middle Tennessee which is exactly what we needed. The only thing on the bubble tracker that really didn't go out way is K-State getting big wins to jump us into the field. Would have also been nice to see USC get knocked out by Washington, but all in all it could have been much worse.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bottom line is only the committee knows right now if we are in or not but at least we control our destiny that's all we can ask for I guess
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe they will call Thorr and let him know if we're in no matter what but keep it a secret.....just messing with y'all.........
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Re USC - their last win over a top 100 team was back on January 25th. Since then, they went 6-5 having only beaten the dregs of the Pac 10 - Washington 3x, Wash St 2x, and Oregon State.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

FWIW, Dance Card was 36 for 36 picking the at large bids this year. 100% accurate. Not a single miss.

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Thanks for the info, DFF.

BTW, you guys getting a 7 seemed high, but your draw wasn't as good as ours imo.....
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

And congrats on your A10T title. Beat Creighton.
5 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

rambone 78 wrote:Thanks for the info, DFF.

BTW, you guys getting a 7 seemed high, but your draw wasn't as good as ours imo.....
No problem.

A 7 seed seemed fair IMO. Indy is close by. I am sure that Wichita State will be tough, but everybody in the NCAAT is tough. There are no easy games.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And beat Wichita State....but why does the committee pit mid majors against each other, when there are so few selected?

Actually we know the answer to that one.....zero respect
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don't really get the 7 seed either they usually screw over the a10 with seeding
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

daytonflyerfan wrote:And congrats on your A10T title. Beat Creighton.
Thanks. And welcome back.
Good luck to Dayton, also. We'll be cheering for them.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

daytonflyerfan wrote:FWIW, Dance Card was 36 for 36 picking the at large bids this year. 100% accurate. Not a single miss.

Good luck to your Flyers. I have huge respect for your program and your fanbase.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wasn't that hard to pick the at larges this year . I think most had Cuse out anyway
0 x