UCONN - URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

UCONN - URI

Unread post by ramster »

UCONN board discusses merits of playing or not playing URI

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/uri-vs-uconn.107999/
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: UCONN - URI

Unread post by SGreenwell »

" If we ever play them, the game will be known as the Eaves-Hazelton Classic. " - I liked that line from a poster there, heh.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I think a home and home with them would be a good schedule move......no?......if true that they would return our calls is disappointing.....and maybe a Temple in there too......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I doubt they'd play home and home. What about one in Hartford/Storrs and one at Mohegan? I'd do that.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

If that was ever scheduled it would be worth any amount of money because it would drive PC fans insane
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Who is the idiot poster A10 fan with no understanding of history that wrote:

Unless there is a long tradition of games, such as the Big 5 in Philly, the top team in a region usually tries to avoid playing the teams right behind them

URI is by far and away the most played opponent ever for UConn as they have met on the hardwood 145 times. This number of games is even more amazing considering the fact they have played just three games in the last 30 years (last meeting in 2000). UConn's has only met its 2nd most played opponent 115 times. It has only played former Big East teams such as PC just 70 games.

I get that UConn doesn't consider URI on its level and doesn't want to play us. Using history and tradition as excuses not to meet is however ignorant and very much off the mark.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Great rivalry when I was in school going back to the Corny Thompson teams.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

haha, they do realize historically we are their #1 rival and ended because Calhoun was a coward and embraced the 'all cupcakes, no road games' plan

145 meetings between the 2 with a 77-68 advantage for them.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Great rivalry when I was in school going back to the Corny Thompson teams.

I was at the ECAC-NE finals at the PCC in 1979 when Thompson led UConn to victory over Rhody. He was a beast.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Home and home or no thanks.

Motivation for accepting any arrangement uConn wants is to piss off PC fans?

How bout we start be beating PC?

Just sayin
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

Whoever the A10 idiot is, is not really an A10 or uri fan. None of the A10 true fans turn down a chance to play an aac team, as they are the conference we fight for bids with.

I am not signing up to make the one post on tradition but uconn/uri was the traditional rival for generations, with a real trophy game in football (ram-nap trophy) and the amount they played in basketball and everything else. Just because uconn took advantage of our second rival creating a new basketball conference doesn't dismiss the history of the two schools being rivals.

Also.. hold it at Mohegan every other year and give it a fancy name, and do what Texas/ou do, make sure fans know the colors and split on tv. Get it played during early February late January so football is off the air, and made for tv time
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

They should schedule us!
Man up Uconn
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

When I was in school, we had two blood feuds -- one with that hideous, disgusting institution that shall not be named, the other with the Storrs Leg-humpers.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

When I began following URI basketball in the early 60's,
UConn was the number one rival.
Twice they had a playoff after the season to go to the NCAAs.
Tom Penders was the most hated player ever, for UConn.
The games were always must wins on the schedule.
UConn has some great players, like Toby Kimball, Wes Baialosuknia,
and Tony Hanson.
One year, John Fultz burned them for 46 points.
In the return game, UConn went to a 4 corners stall game.
UConn won 35-32.
It was a great, hard fought rivalry.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Nothing is a given in keeping a program among the elite.

I think it would benefit Uconn to play URI home and home.

I think it is a manageable win for them if you look at it from their side. Look at PC, they have basically got a top 100 win yearly off of URI since Cooley took over.

Its a tune up that they haven't lost.

Also gives Uconn a team to play in the region. The AAC doesn't give them that. SMU and Houston have done it. Why not the Huskies?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I hate UCONN. If memory serves, they cancelled 2 games back in the 80's that were supposed to be played here. I remember Calhoun saying they couldn't come here, but, we could play them there.
Personally, I don't care if we ever play them again.
I'm sure Rod knows if I'm right or not.
Hate to think that my hatred for that school has effected the facts.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think the last time we played them was 1997 in November.
We lost. Cat had a great game.
Calhoun did cancel the home and home series.
Funny to think, at one time our WBB used to regularly beat
UConn WBB.
Our men's basketball and football programs were equals,
Now they're a major power and history making WBB program
and multi NCAA champs in MBB, and D-1 in football.
Easily the best basketball programs in NE history.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I still think Mohegan every year with half and half seating is the optimal situation.

Almost exactly half way between the two schools.

For URI: You're never getting UConn into the Ryan Center, so this is the next best thing. You get the rub from playing UConn, returning a regional rival to your schedule. Gives a game each year in southeastern Connecticut where we have a fan base, and hopefully the chance to add new fans who live relatively close to the Ryan Center. Makes it more likely people will donate and/or buy season tickets so they can have first crack at our allotment of tickets for the game.

For Mohegan: It gives you another event to market where you have around 10,000 people coming into your arena and looking to spend money before and after. Don't see where this game wouldn't sell out every year. $$$$$

For UConn: You return your most played potential rival to your schedule. The game doesn't really hurt you. If URI is good enough to beat you then either you're having a down year like this year where your RPI doesn't matter or we're both having an up year and our RPI will help you. If we're bad, we're not going to be any worse then the other regional programs you're already playing. It's a neutral site game, which helps the resume. It gives UConn a game to market to their fans in southeastern Connecticut. Most important, Mohegan can kick in the difference between what UConn would make from their ticket allotment and what they'd make from a normal home game, so they don't lose any revenue and Mohegan still makes money with the kickback to UConn.
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I still think Mohegan every year with half and half seating is the optimal situation.

For URI: You're never getting UConn into the Ryan Center, so this is the next best thing. You get the rub from playing UConn, returning a regional rival to your schedule. Gives a game each year in southeastern Connecticut where we have a fan base, and hopefully the chance to add new fans who live relatively close to the Ryan Center. Makes it more likely people will donate and/or buy season tickets so they can have first crack at our allotment of tickets for the game.

For Mohegan: It gives you another event to market where you have around 10,000 people coming into your arena and looking to spend money before and after. Don't see where this game wouldn't sell out every year. $$$$$

For UConn: You return your most played potential rival to your schedule. The game doesn't really hurt you. If URI is good enough to beat you then either you're having a down year like this year where your RPI doesn't matter or we're both having an up year and our RPI will help you. If we're bad, we're not going to be any worse then the other regional programs you're already playing. It's a neutral site game, which helps the resume. It gives UConn a game to market to their fans in southeastern Connecticut. Most important, Mohegan can kick in the difference between what UConn would make from their ticket allotment and what they'd make from a normal home game, so they don't lose any revenue and Mohegan still makes money with the kickback to UConn.
All of that makes so much sense that I know it will never happen based on the history here.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......would the Rhody fan base, season ticket holders, students, causual etc actually go to Mohegan in those numbers....? I have my doubts.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

For UConn, I believe they would. Mohegan will want tickets of their own to comp, so you're probably talking about 4000 tickets once a year at Mohegan to see UConn. And what we wouldn't sell, UConn would sell, giving them a bigger advantage. That game is a sellout.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think we have to get to the tournament a few years in a row if we want them to play us.
Give it some TV value.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

wow, they seem more arrogant than PC fans. Now I see why PC hates em.
0 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhodymob05 wrote:wow, they seem more arrogant than PC fans. Now I see why PC hates em.
My cousin is as big a PC fan as I am a URI fan. His dying wish is to be cremated and have his ashes blown into the eyes of his enemies.

The deal we still have is that I would have to bring his urn to Storrs and blow them in the eyes of the Husky mascot.

The hatred there is real.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Blue Man wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:wow, they seem more arrogant than PC fans. Now I see why PC hates em.
My cousin is as big a PC fan as I am a URI fan. His dying wish is to be cremated and have his ashes blown into the eyes of his enemies.

The deal we still have is that I would have to bring his urn to Storrs and blow them in the eyes of the Husky mascot.

And PC (70) has no where near the history with UConn that URI (145) has. The Friars have played the Huskies some 75 games less. The number of games played in the URI-UConn series is actually MORE than twice that of the PC-UConn series.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think they have a lot more reason to be arrogant
than PC fans.
They've been to the top of the mountain in men's and women's
basketball. PC has won one NCAA game since 1997.
Not on the same planet as UConn, despite what their board thinks.
Not a put down, just fact.
The Huskies been down this year with many injuries.
Not sure how good Kevin Ollie really is.
We'll see if they bounce back to past glory, under him.
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Right, you can be arrogant when you have 11 men's and women's national basketball championships.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:

Family reunions and especially Thanksgiving must be fun
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

Family reunions and especially Thanksgiving must be fun
I'm Italian. What's a family reunion? Those are just weekends.

My dad grew up on Smith Street. He's 1 of 7. Most are PC alums. My uncles married in are PC alums. My grandparents. My cousins. All alums. All of us are very big college basketball fans. You all have no idea of the pain I go through. Why do you think this board is so important to me?

My mom, dad, brother, wife, and in-laws are Rams. That's what keeps me going.

I 100% agree with UCONN being allowed to be arrogant with the level of their program and history. I'm just pointing out that the Friar fans do in fact hate the Huskies.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Blue Man wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:I still think Mohegan every year with half and half seating is the optimal situation.

All of that makes so much sense that I know it will never happen based on the history here.
Love, love, love this idea. Rhowdy you gots to send this to the editorials in the Storrs paper.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

There's really no reason why UConn shouldn't play a home and home versus us. Even if we stunk and beat them, the committee doesn't factor in rpi or bad losses anymore for schools like UConn. Plus the common sense reasons like history, no travel, and better attendance/atmosphere than playing some scrub non-conference team.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Once again, thanks Mr. Gavitt for killing our great rivalry with UConn. That was our #2 rival for many years, with UMass being 3rd.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

rodfromcranston wrote:When I began following URI basketball in the early 60's,
UConn was the number one rival.
Twice they had a playoff after the season to go to the NCAAs.
Tom Penders was the most hated player ever, for UConn.
The games were always must wins on the schedule.
UConn has some great players, like Toby Kimball, Wes Baialosuknia,
and Tony Hanson.
One year, John Fultz burned them for 46 points.
In the return game, UConn went to a 4 corners stall game.
UConn won 35-32.
It was a great, hard fought rivalry.
I've heard stories of more than 6,000 people jamming into Keaney when we played the Leg-humpers -- before renovations cut the seating from 5,000 to 3,800.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I was at most of those games with my dad.....it was SRO every time......maybe not 6000 but somewhere in the 5000's......you couldn't move.

Those playoff games had one lower side full of our students...and the other side their students......it was crazy.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

In terms of degrees of hate, the huskies and Friars are dead even. I absolutely despise both. Living in ct the fans are beyond obnoxious (for the men) Playing PC at Kearney was an experience. They put football bleachers at the north end to increase attendance. I almost got thrown out for screaming at tony Koski. As for the 35-32 ct game, 2 or 3 ct players were suspended for the game, therefore the strategy. Define "pit" in the sixties, see keaney gym!
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yep in there at Keaney many times with full SRO

Building would seriously shake.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Kevin Ollie is not a good coach at all. He got lucky his team went on a roll and got a title . Look at what they have done since. Another couple down years and I bet he lands on the hot seat
0 x