If we get to the A-10 Final and lose, are we in?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

If we get to the A-10 Final and lose, are we in?

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Ok, I'm gonna be that guy. Coming off the great Davidson win, if we get to the A-10 Final game, and lose, are we in the NCAA tourney?

I say we are.

What say you?
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Re: If we get to the A-10 Final and lose, are we in?

Unread post by KillSteenKill »

100%. Thread closed
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yes. This was a bad question. Should have asked if one win was enough in Pittsburgh.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

100% no question
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RamZone72
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamZone72 »

It depends who the opponent we lose to is. If it is someone other than Dayton/VCU we would probably not get in. The A-10 isnt getting 4 teams.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

It's hard to say if they're some bubble teams stealing automatic bids and some mid-majors with a solid NCAA resume lose in their conference tournament.
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I don't think it's a bad question, which is why I posted it. If any team other than VCU-Dayton are in the final (if we're not), then I think we are out. We may get screwed even if it's VCU-Dayton. I think this year the expectation has been, to date, two teams from the A-10. I think that's the national perception.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

If URI gets two more wins their floor is first four. The bubble is weak and many of those teams will get bounced early in their conference tourneys. RI Bred where do you think bid stealing will occur and I get that it is a difficult question to answer. I feel Richmond maybe but also feel that is just because I have watched an uneven amount of A10 hoop
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I think, get to the final...in. Steve, on the post-game, was asking "is that enough or does Rhody have to win one more in Pittsburgh?"...which might be the most optimistic thing I've heard since...well....me, last year....
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

to the finals with a win over Dayton is 100% in, that would give us 3 top 25 RPI wins and an RPI around 30 plus we would have 6 top 100 RPI wins
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

KillSteenKill wrote:If URI gets two more wins their floor is first four. The bubble is weak and many of those teams will get bounced early in their conference tourneys. RI Bred where do you think bid stealing will occur and I get that it is a difficult question to answer. I feel Richmond maybe but also feel that is just because I have watched an uneven amount of A10 hoop
Honestly, I have been watching college hoops for years, just like most here. Like 30 years. It's almost impossible to say where the upsets will occur.

I just know that every year there are a few teams they show during the selection show, sitting in some room, that are disappointed when their name doesn't get called.

I feel like URI is a prime candidate for that, if we don't make the A-10 final. Hopefully we'll make it a moot point.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It really depends on the other bubble teams.
Today every single damn bubble team ahead of us won.
I'd say %80 percent chance if we make the finals wig a win over Dayton.
If we don't beat Dayton in the semis I don't think there's any way we are picked.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

If we play Dayton again we need to beat them to earn an at large.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

PeterRamTime wrote:It really depends on the other bubble teams.
If we don't beat Dayton in the semis I don't think there's any way we are picked.
Illinois lost to lowly Rutgers. They were "first four out" with URI earlier today...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

yes, but we must lose to VCU or Dayton in the finals. Anyone else and no chance, this year's A10 isnt getting 4 teams
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

it will have to be VCU, we will be lined up to play Dayton in the semis
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RI_Bred wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:It really depends on the other bubble teams.
Illinois lost to lowly Rutgers. They were "first four out" with URI earlier today...
Yeah well I said every team *ahead* of us won.
They were right on our level or below.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This sounds like a good idea:

Get to the finals, and if it's not VCU we're playing?

Just win the game! Losing it is NOT an option.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

....yes
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

My guess is we would be playing Richmond in that scenario. I think we owe them one.

Dayton will be the tough nut to crack in the semis, especially with Cunningham back although not at full strength.

But it can be done.
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

KillSteenKill wrote:If URI gets two more wins their floor is first four. The bubble is weak and many of those teams will get bounced early in their conference tourneys. RI Bred where do you think bid stealing will occur and I get that it is a difficult question to answer. I feel Richmond maybe but also feel that is just because I have watched an uneven amount of A10 hoop
Granted, almost any A10 team could make a run and win this thing, but I have a feeling that Davidson will come out swinging and take home the conference title. You read it here first
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Will be very hard for a team reliant on 2 guys to win 4 games in a row.
2 x
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Ill put my money on TJ Cline. Regardless it has been a long time since we have been hot at the end of the season and its a nice feeling
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think if we get to the finals and lose it's over 90 % we are in

If we lose to Dayton in the semis I think it's 50-50

If we lose to a Bona maybe 20 %
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If we lose to St Bonaventure it is 0%........not even .00001%.....it will be zero
1 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

0 x
'No Mercy.'
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We have zero shot at an at large if we lose in the semi's, and probably a 50/50 chance if we lose in the finals to VCU.
0 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody15 wrote:We have zero shot at an at large if we lose in the semi's, and probably a 50/50 chance if we lose in the finals to VCU.
I disagree on the second part. Beat Dayton in the semis and we are in no matter what I think.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rambone 78 wrote:My guess is we would be playing Richmond in that scenario. I think we owe them one.

Dayton will be the tough nut to crack in the semis, especially with Cunningham back although not at full strength.

But it can be done.
Cunningham tweaked knee last night hard dive for ball early 2nd half.....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:We have zero shot at an at large if we lose in the semi's, and probably a 50/50 chance if we lose in the finals to VCU.
I disagree on the second part. Beat Dayton in the semis and we are in no matter what I think.

Agree.
1. Win the 1st game is a must
2. Win in the Semi's is a must (likely will be Dayton in Semi's but not guaranteed) and go to Finals
3. Even if lose in Finals should be enough
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

2 x
'No Mercy.'
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

If we lose to Richmond in the finals I don't think we have much of a chance. That would mean the A-10 would have to have 4 bids for us to get in.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote:If we lose to Richmond in the finals I don't think we have much of a chance. That would mean the A-10 would have to have 4 bids for us to get in.
So it means that VCU would have lost to URI, Dayton and Richmond over just 3 weeks. That assumes that VCU would have won their Quarterfinal A10 Game to get to Richmond.

URI would have won their first 2 to now have a 7 game A10 Win Streak with wins over VCU in late February and Dayton in semi finals (assuming wins their Q-Final Game to get to URI.

I'd think that URI's 7 game win streak and VCU's losses PLUS losing to URI head to head would make URI the pick over VCU.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

adam914 wrote:
I don't know about that. If Richmond wins that's one less spot for an at large team. If the tournament committee only wants 3 A10 teams then we probably won't get in over VCU.

I think we're a bubble team no matter what happens assuming we don't win the tournament. Lose in the quarterfinal round and we may get talked about on selection Sunday but it's extremely unlikely we'll be selected, would need to be a situation like Tulsa last year. Win one tournament game and depending on what happens with other teams there's a chance we could get in, still not a great chance. Win two tournament games and there's a very good chance we get in, probably will be included in the last four in so we'd still be a bubble team.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Yes. Been saying this for weeks now. haha. This means they will have beaten Dayton and added another quality win. If they don't make it to the finals, I think it will be very difficult for them to make the NCAA Tournament and would have to rely on other bubble teams to perform very poorly in their own tournaments. I just don't see them getting in the NCAA Tournament unless they make the finals of the A-10 Tournament.
Last edited by The Dude 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

In the scenario we beat Dayton in the semis we have to root hard for VCU to make the finals
Agree ??
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

reef wrote:In the scenario we beat Dayton in the semis we have to root hard for VCU to make the finals
Agree ??
This is the common wisdom about what has to happen, but I say just beat Dayton and whatever happens we can work with. If all that stands between us and the NCAA tournament is one game with an A-10 team other than VCU and Dayton, you have to think that we have as good of a chance of winning that game as we do getting picked as an at-large if we lost to VCU. Let us win and then let Reece Davis or someone ask a committee member whether we'd have been an at-large if we lost, and I'll be interested to hear what he says, but at least it will be academic.

Anyways, it's hard for me to totally get upset about seeing Richmond or someone else in the championship game. I'd be fine with that.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

TruePoint wrote:
reef wrote:In the scenario we beat Dayton in the semis we have to root hard for VCU to make the finals
Agree ??
This is the common wisdom about what has to happen, but I say just beat Dayton and whatever happens we can work with. If all that stands between us and the NCAA tournament is one game with an A-10 team other than VCU and Dayton, you have to think that we have as good of a chance of winning that game as we do getting picked as an at-large if we lost to VCU. Let us win and then let Reece Davis or someone ask a committee member whether we'd have been an at-large if we lost, and I'll be interested to hear what he says, but at least it will be academic.

Anyways, it's hard for me to totally get upset about seeing Richmond or someone else in the championship game. I'd be fine with that.
I would almost be relieved to see someone other than VCU.
I'd really like our chances in a rematch against Richnond and a loss against them wouldn't necessarily hurt our resume that much because it would be against a tournament team with a respectable RPI. Although, they would steal a bid...potentially ours.

Or imagine if we played someone like GW in the final where they'd be playing a 4th game in 4 days.
With our 10 man rotation, that would be a tough one to lose.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

It simple - If it comes down to us and another team(s)... which ever team's fan base 'travels better' will be chosen by the committee.

$$$ is the greatest factor between two teams. *waves at NCAA*
1 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

That's why if we make it to the NIT and our fan base doesn't show up it could play a factor in the future.

Food for thought.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

DanInAZ wrote:It simple - If it comes down to us and another team(s)... which ever team's fan base 'travels better' will be chosen by the committee.

$$$ is the greatest factor between two teams. *waves at NCAA*
Exactly. That's why Syracuse along with this being D-bag Jim's possible swan song will get in even with a shit record.
0 x
'No Mercy.'