Conference Tournaments

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Conference Tournaments

Unread post by Obadiah »

This is chronological list of the championship games to be played over the next eight days in all 32 conferences. The first automatic bid to the NCAA will be awarded when the Ohio Valley champion is crowned later this evening. As the tournament action unfolds, I will update this list right to the last automatic bid awarded which is the AAC champion.

This thread replaces the weekly games of interest thread and will be the place to discuss all conference tournament action with the exception of the A-10 tournament which deserves its own thread.
.   Championship - Date/Time	           Conference	         Champion        Record    RPI

March 4, Saturday, 8 PM, ESPN2	           Ohio Valley	      Jacksonville St.   20-14     152

March 5, Sunday, 1 PM, ESPN	           Big South	      Winthrop           26-6       71
March 5, Sunday, 2 PM, CBS	           Missouri Valley    #21 Wichita St.    30-4       37 	
March 5, Sunday, 3 PM, ESPN	           Atlantic Sun	      FL Gulf Coast      26-7       88

March 6, Monday, 7 PM, CBSSN	           Colonial	      UNC-Wilmington     29-5       31	
March 6, Monday, 7 PM, ESPN	           Southern	      E. Tenn. St.       27-7       60	
March 6, Monday, 9 PM, ESPN2	           Metro Atlantic     Iona               22-12     100		

March 7, Tuesday, 7 PM, ESPN               Horizon League     Northern Kentucky  24-10      91
March 7, Tuesday, 7 PM, ESPN2    	   Northeast          Mt. St. Mary's     19-15     157
March 7, Tuesday, 9 PM, ESPN2	           Summit League      South Dakota St.   18-16     161
March 7, Tuesday, 9 PM, ESPN	           West Coast         Gonzaga            32-1       10					
March 8, Wednesday, 7:30 PM, CBSSN         Patriot League     Bucknell           26-8       69

March 11, Saturday, 11 AM, ESPN2	   America East	      Vermont            29-5       49	
March 11, Saturday, 1 PM, ESPN2	           Mid-Eastern        NC Central         25-8      209
March 11, Saturday, 5:30 PM, Fox	   Big East	      Villanova          30-3        1
March 11, Saturday, 6 PM, ESPN	           Big 12             Iowa State         23-11      24
March 11, Saturday, 6 PM, CBS	           Mountain West      Nevada             28-6       30
March 11, Saturday, 6:15 PM, ESPNU	   Southwestern	      Texas Southern     23-11     116
March 11, Saturday, 7:30 PM, ESPN2	   Mid-American	      Kent State         22-13     153
March 11, Saturday, 8:30 PM, ESPNU	   Big Sky	      North Dakota       22-9      151
March 11, Saturday, 8:30 PM, CBSSN	   Conference USA     Middle Tennessee   30-4       35
March 11, Saturday, 9 PM, ESPN	           Atlantic Coast     Duke               27-8       10
March 11, Saturday, 9:30 PM, ESPN2	   Southland          New Orleans        20-11     151
March 11, Saturday, 11 PM, ESPN	           Pac-12             Arizona            31-4        2       
March 11, Saturday, 11 PM, ESPNU	   Western            New Mexico St      29-5       59
March 11, Saturday, 11:30 PM, ESPN2 	   Big West	      UC Davis           22-12     166

March 12, Sunday, 12 PM, ESPN2	           Ivy League         Yale (18-10) vs. Princeton (22-6)
March 12, Sunday, 12:30 PM, CBS	           Atlantic-10	      Rhode Island (23-9) vs. VCU (26-7)
March 12, Sunday, 1 PM, ESPN	           Southeast	      Arkansas (25-8) vs. Kentucky (28-5)
March 12, Sunday, 2 PM, ESPN2	           Sun Belt           Troy (21-14) vs. Texas State (20-12)	
March 12, Sunday, 3 PM, CBS	           Big 10             Michigan (23-11) vs. Wisconsin (25-8)
March 12, Sunday, 3:15 PM, ESPN	           American           Cincinnati (29-4) vs. SMU (29-4)
Last edited by Obadiah 7 years ago, edited 28 times in total.
3 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Re: Conference Tournaments

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Thank you for creating this thread. Your posts, and now RR2's, really add a lot to this board.
Great job, guys.
Last edited by ramfan85 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

And his self funded contests.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Just popped in on the Ohio Valley Championship.

Matt Butler fouled on a 3 point shot.

He is on UT Martin and they are down 9 with 5 to go.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The first automatic bid to the Big Dance is awarded as Jacksonville State upsets UT-Martin, 66-55. Jacksonville State, formerly a D2 school, led most of the game. Matt Butler had 17 points in losing cause for UT-Martin. This is Jacksonville's first ever invite to the NCAA .
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Interesting the final in Missouri valley does the loser get a bid ??
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The Missouri Valley title game pits the two teams that finished 17-1 in the conference race. In getting to the championship game Illinois State beat Southern Illinois, 63-50, and Wichita State beat Missouri State, 78-73. reef raised a key question - will the MVC get two bids to the Dance??

Say what you will about the MVC which at #12 in RPI ranks below the A-10 at #8, but their semifinal doubleheader at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis drew 12,124 which is more than the A-10 drew at Barclay's. Let's see how the A-10 does in Pittsburgh.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

If the MVC wants a chance at 2 I think Illinois St has to win. Wichita has a little more juice and might be able to hang on.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah I think Wichita State has a case for an at-large, not so much for Illinois State.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Illinois states best win is home versus Wichita state. They have no top 100 wins outside of that with an sos near 200. Zero shot they are an at large if they lose today.

Let's hope that happens because Wichita state has some juice and could be an at large even with a loss.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

reef wrote:Interesting the final in Missouri valley does the loser get a bid ??
No according to Jerry Palm

Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

At the half of Big South championship game, Winthrop on its home court leads Campbell, 41-34.

FWIW, Winthrop is a public school located in South Carolina, about 25 miles south of Charlotte, NC. The Eagles last made the NCAA in 2010.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Be nice if Wichita wins comfortably. May knock Illinois State out of contention for an at-large. If there's only so many "mid major" spots available, better us than them.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Obadiah wrote:At the half of Big South championship game, Winthrop on its home court leads Campbell, 41-34.

FWIW, Winthrop is a public school located in South Carolina, about 25 miles south of Charlotte, NC. The Eagles last made the NCAA in 2010.

Gregg Marshall's school. where he made his name
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The second automatic NCAA bid goes to Winthrop as they beat Campbell, 76-59, for the Big South Championship.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Wichita State leads Illinois State at the half, 33-25.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Again, you can't tell me that if Wich St played in BE or Big 10, they wouldn't have several wins,considered quality wins, due to the fact the opportunities would be there. I guess I am too old, I actually watch these teams play and don't go by total numbers or metrics. What a teams's RPI is or what Ken Pom says is gospel to many. URI is in same conversation. Let them have 10 or 15 opportunities vs these other bubble teams to get so called quality wins. If you believe PC, X or SH are that much better than Wich St, I doubt you have seen all 3 or 4. Actually laughable. Goes for Big 10 and SEC too. To say teams like Xavier, SH, MD, Iowa , Tenn,are great or that much better than high level mid majors is ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. Guys making selections look at all the numbers and selections that a Joe Lunardi is listing Thats a problem. Why don't we go by Steve McDonalds #'S and picks? Gottleib and Dan Dakich both said it and I totally agree, the biggest pompous, wannabe know it alls never played a day of basketball in their lives. Unless it was intramural.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wichita State will be 30-4 after today.
They have done well in their NCAA appearances.
They should be in, regardless of winning their
conference tournament.
Imagine, this was supposed to be a rebuilding year for them!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Wichita State will be 30-4 after today.
They have done well in their NCAA appearances.
They should be in, regardless of winning their
conference tournament.
Imagine, this was supposed to be a rebuilding year for them!

Best non conference win at #70 Colorado state Yikes !!

Won't matter anyway looks like they are going to get the automatic bid
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let's all say goodnight to the Illinois State Redbirds
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

giovanni wrote:Again, you can't tell me that if Wich St played in BE or Big 10, they wouldn't have several wins,considered quality wins, due to the fact the opportunities would be there. I guess I am too old, I actually watch these teams play and don't go by total numbers or metrics. What a teams's RPI is or what Ken Pom says is gospel to many. URI is in same conversation. Let them have 10 or 15 opportunities vs these other bubble teams to get so called quality wins. If you believe PC, X or SH are that much better than Wich St, I doubt you have seen all 3 or 4. Actually laughable. Goes for Big 10 and SEC too. To say teams like Xavier, SH, MD, Iowa , Tenn,are great or that much better than high level mid majors is ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. Guys making selections look at all the numbers and selections that a Joe Lunardi is listing Thats a problem. Why don't we go by Steve McDonalds #'S and picks? Gottleib and Dan Dakich both said it and I totally agree, the biggest pompous, wannabe know it alls never played a day of basketball in their lives. Unless it was intramural.

They had chances against Oklahoma st, Michigan state, and Louisville in the non conference did not win any of them.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

They had their chances? 3 games before Jan 1st. Let them play 15 games vs powerhouses like PC in Jan and Feb and see if they could possibly win a few. Moronic comment.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

giovanni wrote:They had their chances? 3 games before Jan 1st. Let them play 15 games vs powerhouses like PC in Jan and Feb and see if they could possibly win a few. Moronic comment.
You could say that about just about any team if they are well coached. Every team should be better in March then in November . You have to win your important non conference games in Nov and December is what it comes down to.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

You have to if you are a mid major and have 3 chances. If you are in a so called power conference or even the BE, you have supposed good win opportunities at least 10 times in Jan and Feb when it counts. If you have any merit at all, you will undoubtedly win a few. Gregg Marshall is a pretty good coach if you think not. If you are in one of these conferences, you can lose 4 out of 5 and then upset a nationally ranked team (probably only ranked because of conference and name recognition) then the 4 losses are forgotten. Miraculously. It's so slanted it's not funny. I think PC has had a wonderful year and surprised basically everyone, but let's not pretend they are a great team and have beaten great teams.
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Ok well Butler has beaten Arizona, Cincinnati, Villanova twice Northwestern and Vandy I would say that is pretty great and they beat them.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ok now play that scenario for Marquette...they have 1 OOC win that is decent, those world beaters Georgia. But they beat Nova. Marquette is perfect example of the paradigm Gio is talking about.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

I am not saying PC is a great team. In fact I think you can probably count the number of great teams there in the country on one hand. Marquette won at Georgia and also beat Vandy and rpi 82 Fresno. Nothing great but not terrible by any means also.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

So 2 bubble teams and an NIT/CBI team. Decent, as i said, but without that Nova win they are toast. Having 6-8 shots at that resume defining win in conference will prove to be a huge advantage to their chances.
Last edited by bigappleram 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:So 2 bubble teams and an NIT/CBI team. Decent, as i said, but without that Nova win they are toast. Having 6-8 shots at that resume defining win in conference will prove to be a huge advantage to their chances.
Very good point. And regardless of how many games they have lost, these so called experts have never put them on bubble. Never. If that is not bias they get rid of the word.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

woodennickel1 wrote:I am not saying PC is a great team. In fact I think you can probably count the number of great teams there in the country on one hand. Marquette won at Georgia and also beat Vandy and rpi 82 Fresno. Nothing great but not terrible by any means also.

I don't believe anyone quoted you as saying PC was a great team. Nor do I think anyone with a brain or eyes would say that either. But, you certainly have a view that the Friars are well above and superior to other bubble teams. Especially from mid majors. That is absolutely foolish. Texted Zags and Gottlieb , supposed experts, and they had absolutely no idea X played without Summner and Bluett vs PC or SH played without Sanago. Creighton they did know, played without Watson, but also failed to recognized Blue Jays won handily in Prov with Watson. Injuries that decimate a team would definitely be utilized against a mid major. How many times do we talk about URI injuries? From Kevie Mac I heard more about Cartwright having a bad ankle for a few days and how it effected his team than anything about Hass, EC, Jarvis, CT. . Its a joke, you have to attempt to be serious.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

giovanni wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:I am not saying PC is a great team. In fact I think you can probably count the number of great teams there in the country on one hand. Marquette won at Georgia and also beat Vandy and rpi 82 Fresno. Nothing great but not terrible by any means also.

I don't believe anyone quoted you as saying PC was a great team. Nor do I think anyone with a brain or eyes would say that either. But, you certainly have a view that the Friars are well above and superior to other bubble teams. Especially from mid majors. That is absolutely foolish. Texted Zags and Gottlieb , supposed experts, and they had absolutely no idea X played without Summner and Bluett vs PC or SH played without Sanago. Creighton they did know, played without Watson, but also failed to recognized Blue Jays won handily in Prov with Watson. Injuries that decimate a team would definitely be utilized against a mid major. How many times do we talk about URI injuries? From Kevie Mac I heard more about Cartwright having a bad ankle for a few days and how it effected his team than anything about Hass, EC, Jarvis, CT. . Its a joke, you have to attempt to be serious.
I don't have a view they are well above other bubble teams but I do think they have enough to get in with 10 top 100 wins and 5 top 50 wins possible six or eight if Vermont and Marquette win their next games. Believe me I am very concerned about getting screwed I have seen it happen before. I do however think they are ahead of URI. Injuries are part of the game and Sunogo played in the game PC won he did not play in the one they lost. Also Lindsey did not play in the Depaul loss but that is never mentioned.
Last edited by woodennickel1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

If any of those nbe bubble teams lose 1st game in conference tourney they should be worried and X has to prove they are lately capable of beating a team that is not DePaul.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Vermont and Marquette are tremendous win. as Georgetown was at the time. PC will never get screwed as long as Tranghese is alive, thats a fact. II am sure you know, but to some of your PC politicos is you doubt. Depaul? Are you serious? No, just a joke, sorry I didn' t catch that. Sorry, they lost to a short handed, mediocre team. I stand corrected. Yes, URI lost to Fordham, you probably cant go much lower than that. But if you give me 2 games a years vs PC, SH, Marquette, Gtown, i like my chances to win at least 6
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

giovanni wrote:
giovanni wrote:
giovanni wrote:Vermont and Marquette are tremendous wins? Just as Georgetown was at the time. right. Depends on the day. Vt is no different than Belmont or ODU. PC will never get screwed as long as Tranghese is alive, thats a fact. I am sure your PC buddies will confirm that. if you have any doubt. Depaul? Are you serious? No, just a joke, sorry I didn' t catch that. Sorry, they lost to a short handed, mediocre team. SH. I stand corrected. Yes, URI lost to Fordham, you probably cant go much lower than that. But if you give me 2 games a years vs PC, SH, Marquette, Gtown, i like my chances to win at least 9
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

giovanni wrote:Vermont and Marquette are tremendous win. as Georgetown was at the time. PC will never get screwed as long as Tranghese is alive, thats a fact. II am sure you know, but to some of your PC politicos is you doubt. Depaul? Are you serious? No, just a joke, sorry I didn' t catch that. Sorry, they lost to a short handed, mediocre team. I stand corrected. Yes, URI lost to Fordham, you probably cant go much lower than that. But if you give me 2 games a years vs PC, SH, Marquette, Gtown, i like my chances to win at least 6

Well the year they won the Big East they were not getting an at large and that would have been a screw job in my opinion. They also did not do them any favors making them play Dayton in Ohio. Tranghese has nothing to do with that anymore he has been off the committee for some time.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

brady1 wrote:If any of those nbe bubble teams lose 1st game in conference tourney they should be worried and X has to prove they are lately capable of beating a team that is not DePaul.

REVERSE THE CURSE!

GO RHODY!
I don't think so maybe Marquette but I think PC and Seton Hall are in good shape.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Who the hell cares about PC?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:Who the hell cares about PC?
yup
some people forgot where they live
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Returning to the relevant topic of this thread.

Two more teams got their dance tickets punched. Wichita State easily beat Illinois State, 71-51 to win the MVC bid and Florida Gulf Coast in a win over North Florida, 77-61 for the Atlantic Sun bid. This brings to four the number of automatic bids awarded.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Remember that the first post in this thread is continually updated to show the winner of each conference's automatic bid as well as identifing the schools in upcoming championship games.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Monday evening, two conferences begin the opening rounds of their tournaments - MEAC and MAC. Also in tonight's schedule are the semifinal games in the West Coast, Horizon, America East and Summit conferences.

Three conferences will show case their Championship game tonight

Colonial Final in Charleston, SC: UNC-Wilmington (28-5) vs. Charleston (25-8). 7 PM. On CBSSN

Southern Conference Final in Asheville, NC: E. Tenn. St. (26-7) vs. UNC-Greensboro (25-8) 7 PM. On ESPN.

Metro Atlantic Final in Albany, NY: Siena (17-16) vs. Iona (21-12). 9 PM. ESPN2.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

While I love the conference tournaments, I do see some head scratching situations and some real injustices. For example the Horizon League situation is a real dumpster fire with the two top teams with identical 24-8 records having been eliminated in the quarters - Valpo and Oakland. That means that in tonight's doubleheader semifinal action in Detroit, three of the four teams sport losing records having finished in the bottom half of that league

Northern Kentucky 22-10 (92 RPI) faces Youngstown State 13-20 (252 RPI)

Milwaukee 10-23 (262 RPI) versus UIC 15-17 (243 RPI).

We can only hope that NKU prevails out of this mess.

Also, the Metro Atlantic tourney saw the top seed Monmouth eliminated and the final pits Siena (17-16) versus Ion (21-12) and with the game in Albany, Siena has the home court advantage. In the regular season, Monmouth beat Siena twice including a 20 point margin win on the Saints' home court, but Monmouth was edged by the Saints in their third meeting.

On Selection Sunday, when you see a bubble team with a RPI of 40 not being invited, think of these situations.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Bummer...St Al(ph)onso's Pancake Breakfast couldn't lift Uncle G to the NCAAs...
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Two more automatic bids awarded:

UNC-Wilmington takes the Colonial crown by beating Charleston, 78-69.

E. Tennessee State beats UNC-Greensboro to win the Southern conference championship, 79-74.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

UNCW was a good result for us
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Despite being badly beaten on the boards, Iona overcame Siena with some great FT shooting in the closing moments in OT, 87-86, to win the Metro Atlantic crown and NCAA bid.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wilmington is a decent squad may win a game in the dance
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote:Despite being badly beaten on the boards, Iona overcame Siena with some great FT shooting in the closing moments in OT, 87-86, to win the Metro Atlantic crown and NCAA bid.
And Jon Severe punches his ticket to the NCAA's
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In late results from the West Coast semis, Gonzaga got by pesky Santa Clara, 77-68 and St. Mary's routed BYU, 80-51. This sets up the title match between St. Mary's (28-3) and Gonzaga (31-1) tonight at the Orleans arena in Las Vegas. Game time is 9 PM, on ESPN. Gonzaga easily won both regular season games with St. Mary's.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Today sees the opening rounds of the ACC tournament at Barclay's with the first game at 12 PM pitting NC State vs. Clemson. On ESPN2. This is the first time ever for the ACC in NYC and according to Jay Bilas, the tournament should make its permanent home at Madison Square Garden.
0 x