How students are funding the Ryan Center

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

How students are funding the Ryan Center

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Here's an article from The Good Five Cent Cigar that discusses how the students have been paying for the Ryan Center since 2002 and will be until 2031. I wonder if we would have voted yes on this back in 2002 if we knew how much the fee would have increased and known that the athletic department would have kicked students out of the seats behind the bench, a position that was bargained for as part of accepting the fee.

http://rhodycigar.com/2017/03/02/buildi ... e-in-2018/
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
urirx
ARD

Re: How students are funding the Ryan Center

Unread post by urirx »

As one of the students who watched them build the Ryan Center, and had seats in the second row of 105 for the first 3 years of the buildings existence, this is something I have strongly said the student senate should fight to get back. I asked president Dooley this question directly 3-4 years ago at alumni event here in Maine and was politely told (paraphrased) "not my problem ask the (some name not AD)" When I asked the person, the response was simple but true at the time, they make money off selling the good seats instead of giving them away( they already had the students money, not considered income for basketball), and students can't be counted on showing up and at least the old guys who could afford those seats would fill them.
I know others on this board were more involved in the discussions when the actual approval went through the senate, but every time I see the student sections in the endzones not having fun conversations with coaches of the opposing teams and their families, I feel a little sad. I will say it is some of those conversations (particularly the 2004 end of season home game) that made my life long hatred of all things st. joe's a firm stance.
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

yup, the fact that they keep pushing the students more and more into the shadows with seating while taking more of their money is a joke.

pretty sure the original plan was for the 100 bowl to be students, endzones and sidelines a la Duke
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

How many seats are there in the 100 sections?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:yup, the fact that they keep pushing the students more and more into the shadows with seating while taking more of their money is a joke.

pretty sure the original plan was for the 100 bowl to be students, endzones and sidelines a la Duke
Both endzones and the sideline behind the bench was always the plan, with one sideline for regular season.

The rumor I heard is that they made a "deal" with the head of the student fan group. You agree to move behind the baskets and we'll give you an internship in the athletic department.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What do most teams do? Seems to me that most games I watch have the students behind the baskets doing all the crazy things to try to make the FT Shooters miss. I hate seeing empty prime seats along the sides of the court with nobody in them knowing that they are season ticket holders not showing up - looks bad on TV, on sports highlight footage, pictures, etc
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:yup, the fact that they keep pushing the students more and more into the shadows with seating while taking more of their money is a joke.

Both endzones and the sideline behind the bench was always the plan, with one sideline for regular season.

The rumor I heard is that they made a "deal" with the head of the student fan group. You agree to move behind the baskets and we'll give you an internship in the athletic department.
i know blueman and twisted have more first hand experience with it, but specific people in the athletic department for a while had a major disdain for the students. Actively telling them to be quiet, not allowing them to do things to get the crowd fired up (such as Blueman running laps around the court)...basically a lot was done to limit and break up The Mob and really soured the student fans.
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
---
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Well, Dan knows the value of having the students there in big numbers. I'm sure he wouldn't mind having it changed.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I dealt with that back in 2001. There was no official student seating at Meade, so students always just stood around the band. When UMaine came in, their fans congregated in that area and were yelling at the students to sit down, eventually getting an usher to make us sit. I found a female athletics administrator and complained, but nothing was done. She saw me at a few other athletics events, and eventually approached me, and at one point in the conversation said something along the lines of, "I didn't take your criticism that day seriously because I figured you were only showing up because football was doing well, I didn't know you attended all sporting events."
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

When I was in the fan group it was called "The Mob" hence my name. We at that time we sat right behind the away bench cozied up against the away fans which was perfect. Great way to a get right into the away teams head, but limited in space.
0 x
GO RAMS
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Most games I see on TV, show
students behind the opposing team's bench,
sometimes stretching under the basket.
When Tom Penders was here, he made a "Section 8",
behind the opponent's bench.
They used to make such a racket that the other
team took their timeouts in the middle of the floor.
Most of the lower bowl at Keaney was for students,
and the swells sat in the upper arena.
Then they remodeled it and banished the students to that
stage area behind one basket.
It was never the same atmosphere after that.
URI is being foolish for relinquishing the advantage of noisy
students being put where they could have the
maximum impact.
Moving some swells isn't going to hurt the program
as much as not developing a student involvement
in the program.
Being treated as second class citizens is just wrong.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Most games I see on TV, show
students behind the opposing team's bench,
sometimes stretching under the basket.
When Tom Penders was here, he made a "Section 8",
behind the opponent's bench.
They used to make such a racket that the other
team took their timeouts in the middle of the floor.
Most of the lower bowl at Keaney was for students,
and the swells sat in the upper arena.
Then they remodeled it and banished the students to that
stage area behind one basket.
It was never the same atmosphere after that.
URI is being foolish for relinquishing the advantage of noisy
students being put where they could have the
maximum impact.
Moving some swells isn't going to hurt the program
as much as not developing a student involvement
in the program.
Being treated as second class citizens is just wrong.
all of this....and add on top of it theyre doing this to the people paying for the building
1 x
---
---
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Behind the opponent bench should be student only seating. Students should be in the 100 level north corner too.

This is just so obvious.

Putting a bunch of old guys like me behind the visiting coach is stupid.

Fix it!

Let's have a firm top to bottom commitment to winning. It is college basketball-students first!!

Stuff like this makes me nuts!

Obnoxious students help the home team win in college basketball. Win and fill the building!!

Win!

Fix it and fix it now!!!!!
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

And these seats behind the bench will be filled by WHO over holiday breaks?

This coming from someone who was standing in Sec 104 for virtually every game from the opening of the building through to 2007 when I got my own season tix.

If we get to the point where we're making semi regular NCAA trips and students prove that they're engaged throughout the season, maybe the program can take the risk of pushing their highest contributing fans out of their seats.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Moving the students would most likely create more interest from the students and give us a bigger home court advantage. Perhaps that would result in more post-season tournaments, resulting in much more revenue. Keaney was a great atmosphere when I was there. We were right on top of the action. The entire lower sections were filled with students. It looks to me like there are about 1250 seats in the 100 sections. I don't know how the current season ticket holders in those sections (the ones who actually show up) would feel about it, but I think it would be great for the program.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The students have been our most consistent and engaged section of the fanbase this season.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:And these seats behind the bench will be filled by WHO over holiday breaks?

This coming from someone who was standing in Sec 104 for virtually every game from the opening of the building through to 2007 when I got my own season tix.

If we get to the point where we're making semi regular NCAA trips and students prove that they're engaged throughout the season, maybe the program can take the risk of pushing their highest contributing fans out of their seats.
I'm sure they could estimate how many students would be there during break and sell the rest. If I estimate correctly, there are about 1250 seats in the 100s. Save 500 for the students and sell 750, or whatever numbers their research would show.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

ATPTourFan wrote:And these seats behind the bench will be filled by WHO over holiday breaks?

its not rocket science. during breaks you open them up for purchase instead

odd timing on your engagement crack too considering the student turnout this year has been very strong and they have been quite active...and thats despite being treated like 2nd class citizens by the athletic department.

hate to break it to you, each student "contributes" more financially than 90% of the season ticket holders to the athletic department
2 x
---
---
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It must be nice for all those out of state PC students (just 10 percent of enrollment from RI) to get such a break from RI taxpayers who footed the purchase and ever increasing renovations cost for the DDC.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

All I know is that its preposterous students are made to sit in the 300s instead of the opposite endzone
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Students have been very good this year, but we're not in a position where students are coming to ALL the games each year. The schools referenced earlier in this thread where wrap around student sections exist are able to use high demand for student seats to ensure they're filled for every home game.

We're not there yet. I'm happy that students are coming very consistently outside of the winter break.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

The argument that changing one section behind the bench will
somehow destroy the finances of the program is
just absurd.
URI needs to do the right thing by the main contributors
of Ryan Center funding. THE STUDENTS!
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Very poor short sighted vision by the athletic department to sacrifice atmosphere for a few ticket sales. The better the atmosphere the more enjoyable the experience is for paying ticket holders making it more likely for them to frequently show up. In addition, there is the obvious additional benefit of it being a better home court advantage and making the experience greater for the students in return making it more likely for their continued support in numbers.

at the very least students should have both behind basket endzones in 100/200 levels.

I honestly wonder if there is any other school in nation that puts students in 3rd tier of stadium ?
1 x
Clapton is God
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

They have the numbers of how many students have been showing up over the last several breaks. They can lower the student allotment during break and sell the remainder as upgrades to season ticket holders. Send out an email that for an extra however many dollars you can upgrade for a game. Or they can do away with the student seating altogether in the 300's and use the number of students that tend to show up on break and have that number of seats for students every game near the visiting bench.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote:They have the numbers of how many students have been showing up over the last several breaks. They can lower the student allotment during break and sell the remainder as upgrades to season ticket holders. Send out an email that for an extra however many dollars you can upgrade for a game. Or they can do away with the student seating altogether in the 300's and use the number of students that tend to show up on break and have that number of seats for students every game near the visiting bench.

not only that, they had no problem figuring out how to sell the 100s and 200s endzone seats during break this year. Even ran special promotions about it.
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
---
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote:All I know is that its preposterous students are made to sit in the 300s instead of the opposite endzone
Right. So the students in the south end zone are kind of alone and aren't able to generate enough noise/excitement. The students on that end seem to be a weird afterthought.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:They have the numbers of how many students have been showing up over the last several breaks. They can lower the student allotment during break and sell the remainder as upgrades to season ticket holders. Send out an email that for an extra however many dollars you can upgrade for a game. Or they can do away with the student seating altogether in the 300's and use the number of students that tend to show up on break and have that number of seats for students every game near the visiting bench.

not only that, they had no problem figuring out how to sell the 100s and 200s endzone seats during break this year. Even ran special promotions about it.
And there were plenty of people that had seats elsewhere and saw the chance to upgrade. I'm sure seats by the court wouldn't go open if there are fans in the building.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

For perspective, last year I had Billy Currington tickets at the Ryan Center in the 300's. The show didn't sell nearly as much as they thought it would, so as people with 300 level seats were coming in, they would have us stand to the side and upgrade our seats to the 200 level. The Ryan Center has already done something similar to what we're talking about as a solution to the holiday break issue, they can certainly do it again.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, if there are approximately 1250 seats in the 100s, I'm sure you could still please both sides. Save about 250 seats in one of the sections across from the benches for the big donors. Give the other 1000 to the students. Then keep the middle section behind the basket (201?) for students, and you still have about 1500 for students. For the break, save whatever the research shows approximating student attendance for the students and sell the rest.
Last edited by Billyboy78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....as a many year season ticket holder in 105; behind our bench; here is my two cents; to Billyboy's guestion; I think any season ticket holders in 104, behind the visitors bench, could be moved to 105/106, as there seem to always be empty seats, especially 106 on many games. Many seats directly behind the Rhody bench seem to be for players will call? Other gifted seats for the athletic department guests, families etc....This leaving the 104 for 100% student section. About the visiting team followers in section 104, put them in upper sections or south end zone. Don't care much about them honestly.....If push came to shove, I would take a relocation to the 200's , but not endzones to accommodate an improved arrangement for students in 104....I did not always feel this way.....I do not know how many season ticket holders there currently in 104, but my guess is they all could be moved into 105/6......no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Exactly! Why the hell should fans of other teams get section 104? I've never understood that. Let them sit in the 300s.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I believe it's mandated that a certain amount of visiting seats must be provided behind their own bench.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I believe it's mandated that a certain amount of visiting seats must be provided behind their own bench.
Well, that's fairly recent then. It never used to be like that, even as recent as the early years of the RC.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......mandated by whom?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

There was always visitor seating right behind the visitor bench at the RC
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote:There was always visitor seating right behind the visitor bench at the RC
OK, mandated and always been are not the same; if past practice and being good host policy, give them the first 1-2 rows, they don't need that many.....no?
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

one of the main issues with the Ryan Center which I'm not sure is true is that the floor is supposedly backwards. The Bench are suppose to be on the near side so that the families of both team can be behind the benches and the students could be along the other side (think Cameron Indoor).

EDIT: what i mean is the solid sideline of the 100 should be near side and the broken up part should be on the team side

as far as students being moved I was always told it was a $$ thing plus there were complaints from opposing team's families and the teams that were in front of the mob (i know it's weird, you would think they want a tough environment for other teams to play in)
Last edited by twisted3829 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......floor being "backwards"......caving in to visitors "complaints".....Think Big- We Do.....hardly....,
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

from past conversations, I believe the NCAA mandates 40 seats (2 rows of 20), and has as long as I remember at the Ran Center. their is a natural break in the bleachers that marked the line where they sat and the student section was. I know the early mob had some of the more... level headed.. student fans stood at those spots to help make sure nothing but insults was traded.

Personally, I think it was a verbal contract publically reported between the student government of URI- a separate corporate entity, and the university that students would guarantee funding for the Convocation Center in exchange for the best seats in the house. (3 sides of the floor). While I understand the optics, the ticket income and other issues that go along with an empty student section (which is what ultimately made it feasible to make the change) the contract stands and every student government since the change was made has not done its duty for the students they purport to represent. (disclaimer: did my year on senate, and was as much an ass then)
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, in other words, they listened to, and acted upon, complaints from fans of other teams and other teams themselves, but did not listen to our own students.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....I ask cause I am trying to understand....does the NCAA or anyone else A-10, mandate that those 40 seats be in the section behind the visitors bench OR can they be placed anywhere in the building?...anyone?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

NCAA mandate
1 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

section(105) wrote:.....I ask cause I am trying to understand....does the NCAA or anyone else A-10, mandate that those 40 seats be in the section behind the visitors bench OR can they be placed anywhere in the building?...anyone?
Visiting team always has seats in the first couple of rows behind the bench. Everywhere. Call any program. They will tell you...
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

...OK, do we know where in the building those 40 seats are to be ?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

section(105) wrote:...OK, do we know where in the building those 40 seats are to be ?
Right behind the bench!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Thx twisted and rudder; then for me, give the visitors those 40 seats in only the first two rows in section 104; then students behind them......oh well, if they complain......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938