A-10 Conference Awards

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

A-10 Conference Awards

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Who do you all have winning the conference awards?

To me it seems a little more difficult than usual to pick the first team all conference players.
I have a feeling there will be no Rhode Island Rams included in the first team.

However, I feel certain that Hass will get defensive player of the year again.
Dowtin will be on the all rookie team.
Paulsen from George Mason seems the most likely choice for coach of the year.

The rest seems difficult to figure.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Re: A-10 Conference Awards

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Hass should be 1st team and DPOY. You cant name a big man in the A10 better than he is.

I think EC and Terrell get a 2nd and 3rd team nod, which gets which can go either way.

Dowtin i can see making the rookie team, but always tough for guards.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I think Hass should be first team but who knows, theres so many guards that can make a case for first team
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Hassan will get DPOY and most likely 2nd team. Aldridge and Cline will most likely be first team for big men.
EC will get 2nd or 3rd team.
Terrell might get 2nd over EC, probably third.
Dowtin should get on the rookie team just for the fact he kept us in contention for an at large bid with Garrett out but I haven't followed too many other freshman in the a10 so I'm not sure how he compares stat wise.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Wouldn't shock me if EC doesn't make any of the all conference teams.

Hassan and Jared should easily make it over EC.
1 x
Go Rhody
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I, too, question if EC will make any of the teams. Too many low-scoring games where he won't get that coach's vote.
I would put KI on the all-defensive team but doubt that will happen.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

No way EC gets anything over Terrell.
EC gets lots of media hype, but Terrell's
had the better year.
If Martin doesn't make 1st team, it's a joke.
4 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rodfromcranston wrote:No way EC gets anything over Terrell.
had the better year.
.....yep, Hassan not on first team, an investigation would be warranted......
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I don't think EC will be on the third team even.
I think Kuran should be on that instead of him.

Hass should get in over Aldridge.
Aldridge can score but Hass can dominate on both ends.
Even though he's been a little inconsistent he belongs in the first team.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Probably forgetting someone but:

1st team: Gibbs, Davidson; Lewis, VCU; Cline, Richmond; Cooke, Dayton; Martin, URI.
2nd team: Aldridge, Davidson; Adams, SB; Moore, GM; Smith, Dayton; Cox, VCU.
3rd team: Tillman, VCU; Cavanaugh, GW; Terrell, URI; Matthews, URI; Mobley, SB.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Iggy1979 wrote:Probably forgetting someone but:

1st team: Gibbs, Davidson; Lewis, VCU; Cline, Richmond; Cooke, Dayton; Martin, URI.
I think Pollard has to fit in there. And Shawndre Jones is overrated but gushed over.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Pollard will no doubt be in the conversation. 17th in scoring, 15th in rebounding. That might get him on 3rd team.
I did overlook Jones.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

section(105) wrote:
had the better year.
Why, because everyone on this board loves Hass and thinks he deserves the top awards? Hass is averaging 12.5 pts, 5.8 rebounds and 2.2 blocks in a10 play. He's also only averaging 24 minutes because he gets himself in foul trouble. If those are the numbers of a first team A10 player then the awards are a joke.

Also for those saying EC may not get any awards, he's the leading scorer on a potential NCAA tournament team!! I realize Terrell is a more important player for us but that's the way these awards tend to go. Guys with the better stats get the better awards.

Edit: Joke's probably the wrong word to use. I'd be happy if Hassan got first team but I certainly won't be surprised if he doesn't.
Last edited by josephski 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

josephski wrote:
section(105) wrote:
had the better year.
Why, because everyone on this board loves Hass and thinks he deserves the top awards? Hass is averaging 12.5 pts, 5.8 rebounds and 2.2 blocks in a10 play. He's also only averaging 24 minutes because he gets himself in foul trouble. If those are the numbers of a first team A10 player then the awards are a joke.

Also for those saying EC may not get any awards, he's the leading scorer on a potential NCAA tournament team!! I realize Terrell is a more important player for us but that's the way these awards tend to go. Guys with the better stats get the better awards.

Edit: Joke's probably the wrong word to use. I'd be happy if Hassan got first team but I certainly won't be surprised if he doesn't.

He is the best "big" in the conference on both ends of the floor. His average is a bit out of whack because he did not play in 5 games and is almost playing on one leg now. Lets let the conference play a game of pick up and lets see who gets picked first.....most , if honest, would say Martin.
1 x
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
josephski
Tom Garrick

Rhodekill wrote:
josephski wrote:
section(105) wrote: .....yep, Hassan not on first team, an investigation would be warranted......

He is the best "big" in the conference on both ends of the floor. His average is a bit out of whack because he did not play in 5 games and is almost playing on one leg now. Lets let the conference play a game of pick up and lets see who gets picked first.....most , if honest, would say Martin.
There's no chance you can consider him the best big on offense. I think that's TJ Cline. If you want to say his overall game should get him on the first team fine, but he's not the best big on offense.

Also he's missed one conference game. His conference stats are almost the exact same as last year when he didn't even make third team. Maybe I'm wrong and he'll make first team but I think a lot of people here are setting themselves up to be pissed off and disappointed when the awards are announced.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Terrell vs. EC......
Terrell .377 - 344 in 3 pt.%
EC 43.5 to 43.0 in FG%
Terrell.746 to .661 FT %
Matthews 118 to 78 rebounds
Terrell 25 to 19 offensive rebounds
Terrell 52 to 42 in assists
Terrell 41 to 54 in turnovers
Terrell 27 to 14 in steals
Matthews has taken 40 more shots than Terrell,
and 44 more 3 point attempts.
Terrell has played 2.3 minutes more per game.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Most of his stats are slightly better in conference this year than last, though his steals and blocks are slightly down. But he's doing it in four fewer minutes per game, so he's been more efficient. I think he'll end up at least on second team and defensive player of the year.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Terrell vs. EC......
EC 43.5 to 43.0 in FG%
Terrell.746 to .661 FT %
Terrell has played 2.3 minutes more per game.
Also looking beyond stats, Terrell is a much better defender then EC. EC has had trouble keeping his man in front of him this year, not surprising for first year back from ACL.
2 x
Clapton is God
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Whose with me in the
KI gets an award over EC camp?
KI's been consistently effective in just about every game.
Averaged just under a double double.
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

josephski wrote:
section(105) wrote:
had the better year.

and the fact that despite playing on 1 leg he is still the most dominating big man in the league, and still the #1 focus of opposing teams and still able to literally change a team's offensive game plan just by being on the floor.

and voters do account for injuries when deciding the awards...its the reason Briante Weber beat out Hass for DPOY 2 years ago despite playing only half the A10 season before blowing out his knee
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote:Whose with me in the
KI gets an award over EC camp?
KI's been consistently effective in just about every game.
Averaged just under a double double.
Reputation plays a big role in awards, which helps EC and hurts KI. But KI had a very good year.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Hassan is best big in the league, its not even close. Numbers are just numbers, has to be about more than just stats.
To that end, if EC gets in over Terrell it's a joke. Anyone with eyes can deduce JT had the more productive season and is more valuable to our team right now.
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote:Probably forgetting someone but:

Iggy,
Important to remember that this is based on A10 Conference Games only - no OOC Games and no A10 Tournament Games.

I think that Jaylen Adams could sneak in there 1st team. He is 3rd in scoring 19.2ppg, leads the league in assists and is 2nd in steals.

Marquis Moore has had a tremendous year 7th in scoring and leads the league in rebounding. He could beat out Cooke for 1st team.

I would not rule out Kuran Iverson. We all know Martin is the heart, soul, leader and best player for URI and hopefully he makes 1st team.
Iverson has 10.3 points per game, is 3rd in the league in rebounding at 8.8 rpg and 3rd in blocked shots with 1.8. Is that good enough to grab a 3rd team spot? Could he beat out Terrell and/or Mathews?
Martin is 12.5ppg, 5.8 rpg, leads the league in blocks with 2.2 bpg. Martin is also 6th in FG% which is a strong performance. They should give him benefit for his injury just as they have for players in the past. And that 17 point 18 rebound performance vs VCU was amazing and clutch.

URI this year is balanced in performance with the starters and with some strong performances from the bench, deepest bench in memory.
Other than the rebounding and blocked shots of Iverson and Martin we don't have anyone among the Top league leaders. Good for a team performance but maybe not so much for All Conference 1st, 2nd or 3rd team accolades.

Most teams have two remaining games to go into the stats.

They also like to take guys from the top teams so Dayton and VCU have an edge there. Pollard likely belongs on the list from Dayton
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Hmm I may reconsider my position on KI and EC.
EC's numbers are a little more impressive, but I think KI has still played better more consistently.
There have been more games where EC's impact was pretty nonexistent. KI has made an impact in just about all his games in conference play.
EC will probably get the nod
If either are selected.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Jaylen Adams is hands-down the best PG in the league. No way Gibbs and Lewis make 1st team over him.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote:Jaylen Adams is hands-down the best PG in the league. No way Gibbs and Lewis make 1st team over him.
agreed
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....regarding Coach of the Year.....Paulson led the obvious surprise A-10 team of the year......can a case be made for anyone else??
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote:.....regarding Coach of the Year.....Paulson led the obvious surprise A-10 team of the year......can a case be made for anyone else??
Richmond was picked 6th preseason and could easily end up 3rd at 13-5
Richmond has UMASS tonight at Springfield then St Louis at home. Would be quite a feat for Chris Mooney.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hass passes the eye test an obvious 1st yteamer

Hopefully Terrell and EC get in there also
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This Tuesday March 7 the A10 will release Conference Awards. Now that the Conference play is over all the data is final for decision making
These are my guesses:
FIRST TEAM
Jack Gibbs Davidson Sr. G 6‐0 - 21.4 ppg (first)
Jaylen Adams St. Bonaventure Jr. G 6‐2 -19.2 ppg (third), 6.5 apg (first), 2.1 steals pg(second)
Marquise Moore George Mason Sr G 6-2 - 16.9 ppg, 10.0 rpg (first)
T.J. Cline Richmond Sr. F 6‐9 - 18.6 ppg (fifth), 8.3 rpg (sixth), 6.3 apg (second)
Tyler Cavanaugh George Washington Sr. F 6‐9 18.7 ppg (fourth), 8.6 rpg (fifth)

SECOND TEAM
Matt Mobley St Bonaventure Jr G 6-3 - 18.7 ppg (fifth), 5.7 rpg, 87.4 FT%(third), 2.0 steals pg third)
Scoochie Smith Dayton Sr. G 6‐1 - 13.6 ppg, 4.8 apg (fourth)
JeQuan Lewis VCU Sr. G 6‐1 - 14.2 ppg, 4.9 apg (third)
Hassan Martin Rhode Island Sr. F 6‐7 - 13.0 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 55.4% FG%, 2.1 blocks pg (first)
Peyton Aldridge Davidson Jr. F 6‐8 - 20.4 ppg (second), 8.9 rpg (third)yg

THIRD TEAM
ShawnDre’ Jones Richmond Sr. G 5‐11 - 17.1 ppg(seventh), 4.3 apg, 86 FT%,
Charles Cooke Dayton Sr G 6-6 14.1 ppg, 3.3 apg, 1.0 block pg, 41.5% 3FG,
Kuran Iverson Rhode Island Sr F 6-9 - 9.3 ppg, 8.8rpg(third), 1.8 blocks pg(third)
Justin Tillman VCU Jr F 6-9 - 14.5 ppg, 9.6 rpg (second)
Kendall Pollard Dayton Sr F 6-6 15.2 ppg, 54.9% FG,

ALL‐DEFENSIVE TEAM
Charles Cooke Dayton Sr. G 6‐7
Joe Chartouny Fordham Soph. G 6-3
Hassan Martin Rhode Island Sr. F 6‐7
Mo Alie‐Cox VCU Sr. F 6‐7
JeQuan Lewis VCU Sr. G 6‐1

All Freshman Team
Jeff Dowtin - Rhode Island G
Mike Lewis II - Duquesne G
DeJon Jarreau - UMASS G
De'Monte Buckingham - Richmond G
Charlie Brown - St Josephs G

3 more items to guess:
Coach of Year: Archie Miller
Player of Year: Jaylen Adams St Bonaventure
Freshman of Year: Mike Lewis II Duquesne
Defensive POY: Hassan Martin
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice predictions let's see how close you come
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

No one from Dayton and VCU on first team? That's not going to happen.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

ramster wrote:
section(105) wrote:.....regarding Coach of the Year.....Paulson led the obvious surprise A-10 team of the year......can a case be made for anyone else??
Richmond was picked 6th preseason and could easily end up 3rd at 13-5
Richmond has UMASS tonight at Springfield then St Louis at home. Would be quite a feat for Chris Mooney.
Miller
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote:No one from Dayton and VCU on first team? That's not going to happen.
Moore and Cavanaugh may not make 1st team but I think they deserve it.
VCU and Dayton may land a player on 1st team, but both teams have a lot of talent spread across their Starters. They are more team talent laden than a Davidson for example that has the Top 2 Scorers in the League.

I am not even sure who from Dayton and VCU I would actually select to be their 1st team player:
Smith, Cooke or Pollard from Dayton???
Mo Alie-Cox, Tillman or Lewis from VCU???

3 of the 5 on the All Defensive Team are from VCU and Dayton: Moe Alie-Cox and Lewis from VCU, Cooke from Dayton. Davis could make all defensive from Dayton.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:No one from Dayton and VCU on first team? That's not going to happen.

Agreed. Something like this would never happen in a league such as the A-10 which blatantly caters to its favored programs (which at this time are UD and VCU).
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

His great game against us notwithstanding, Jack Gibbs shouldn't make 1st team. This year he has been a volume scorer on an average team. His stats are down from career high numbers almost across the board.
I would bump Cooke up to 1st team and move Gibbs down a line.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

RF1, maybe the A10 shouldn't have a bias toward them......but just who makes the dance most often in this league....and thereby makes the league money.......

We haven't earned one dime of NCAA credits for the A10 in 17 years.......

Like the discussions about those 2 schools possibly leaving the a10......our #8 ranking among conferences would take a serious dive......who would step up to replace them? We're trying to.....but how many others would step up their commitments to get better?

They leave, and we become the MVC, or CAA.......1 or 2 bid leagues......and get very few chances to play P5's OOC to enhance the resume.......in other words, like reef says....bye bye A10 bye bye!
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote:His great game against us notwithstanding, Jack Gibbs shouldn't make 1st team. This year he has been a volume scorer on an average team. His stats are down from career high numbers almost across the board.
I would bump Cooke up to 1st team and move Gibbs down a line.
You are probably right BAR.
My judgement was likely clouded by the ridiculously long 3 point shots he was making against us on Saturday.
He also was injured this year and wears that clear, full face mask that likely doesn't help him.
But I'm guessing the A10 puts him 1st team anyway. Cooke was also injured some this year.

There is not much difference between the 5th guy on 1st team and the 1st guy on the 2nd team of course

It will be interesting to see how it all falls out tomorrow morning.
I think everyone could have their own list.

Maybe Obadiah can come up with a contest next year for the 3 teams, defensive and rookie - BEFORE the season starts :D :D :D
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I feel like the EC to Terrell stat comparison favors EC. EC is asked to do more and seeks to do more.

He is also coming off major surgery.

Terrell watches too much while on the floor.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Seriously?
Go back and read my post in this thread on comparing the two.
NO comparison. Terrell, hands down.
EC asked to do more?
Like play the opponents toughest scorer?
Like running the point now and then?
Like throwing his body around and inviting contact.
Funny, the comments in the Fordham thread
talk about EC's continuously seeming uninterested.
The Dayton threat is even nastier.
So, let's knock Terrell, because he's had a off game.
It's all about, "what have you done lately"
In this case, it's "what did you do in your last game".
Whatever.

EC 43.5 to 43.0 in FG%
Terrell.746 to .661 FT %
Terrell has played 2.3 minutes more per game.[/quote]
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I wish for once JT and EC would have big games in the same game

How many times have they each scored 15 in the same game ??
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I'm all for Terrell supplanting EC as the go-to guy and best wing.

He had 20 points and 10 rebounds against VCU. If he can do it there then he can do it anywhere.

Too much coasting to think he is the top guy. Only in double figures for points in 2 out of the last 6 games.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Two different types of players. I think both have blemishes on their resume for All Conference consideration.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

For determining A10 Conference Awards the statistics can only be from Regular Season Conference Play.

The Stats to be considered after 18 Conference Games:
Minutes: Mathews 28.4, Terrell 30.1

Points PG: Mathews 14.2, Terrell 11.7
FG: Mathews 42.6%, Terrell 39.8%
3FG: Mathews 31.0%, Terrell 34.8%
FT: Mathews 64.6%, Terrell 70.2%
Rebounds PG: Mathews 3.7, Terrell 2.9
Assists PG: Mathews 1.6, Terrell 2.0
Turnovers PG: Mathews 1.9, Terrell 1.7
Steals PG: Mathews .4, Terrell .8
Blocks PG: Mathews .4, Terrell .2
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Both guys seem to disappear at times. I just hope they can get it going at the same time
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Richmond Times Dispatch article how Richmond could sweep POY, COY and FOY Awards with Cline, Mooney, and Buckingham

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/ ... 53427.html
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I hope the view of the rest of the league with regards to URI players gives our Rams added incentive in Pittsburgh.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Ive always liked Mooney as a coach but the reason they overachieved this year is because they underachieved last year. Miller should be COY.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Ive always liked Mooney as a coach but the reason they overachieved this year is because they underachieved last year. Miller should be COY.

Paulson at GMU should be COY hands down.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Ive always liked Mooney as a coach but the reason they overachieved this year is because they underachieved last year. Miller should be COY.
You're half right. Mooney shouldn't get coach of the year, and they only overachieved because they underachieved. Should be Paulsen at George Mason or Joseph at George Washington.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines