Senior night - 2017

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
neil
Art Stephenson

Senior night - 2017

Unread post by neil »

This will be my 49th consecutive Senior Night. I actually made a mistake last year saying that was my 49th. However, I did enroll at URI in the fall of 1967 making 1968 my first night with the Seniors. Will have to wait one more year for 50. It has always been my favorite game because of who we are. We're Rhode Island. Very few players leave early to go to the NBA. Many more stay and get their degrees. It is an honor to stand and applaud these athletes.
KI
For the first months of the season, I was thinking about this paragraph. What would I say - missed free throws, inaccurate passes, inappropriate shots. The I in KI would probably stand for "inconsistency". Well, things have changed. Yes, I still get anxious when he dribbles down the court at full speed, and yes the same when he takes a deep three from the corner. KI has grown up. He rebounds the ball against some stronger opponents. He is staying out of foul trouble and he appears to be so much more comfortable on the court. We do not lead the league in blocked shots just because of Hassan. KI does the little things on defense and offense that sometimes go unnoticed. I truly believe we have a couple of positive moments left from him. The very best of luck in whatever road you take. Thanks!
l.
Hassan
Before the P.A. announcer introduces Hassan on Saturday, he will probably go through a number of accomplishments, field goal%, blocked shots, rebounds, 1000 point club, conference accolades. However, all of us know that doesn't tell the story. To put it simply, Hassan is the heart and soul of the Rams. He is a true warrior. It will be nice to see ARD, who is being included in the RI Hall of Fame this weekend, be on the same floor with Hassan. Two warriors who cared far more about the success of their team than individual accomplishments. "74" said it a couple of days ago describing Hass taking a charge from Cox and banging his fists on his chest (TJ like) while lying on the ground. The warrior!!! Hass plays hard and also played hurt. He never gave up on himself and we never gave up on him. If one had to look up the definition of "student athlete", it might say "see Hassan Martin"- whether it was academics or working in the community, Hass excelled.
The applause for him on Saturday should be loud and long. EZ should tell the PA announcer not to talk until the applause stops. Students, keep the cheers coming. Trust me, I've seen alot of Ram players, but many do not compare to our power forward. He truly deserves a long ovation.
Hass, a big thank you for your four years. One would think that wherever your future takes you, you will be successful. Go Rhody!
Please feel free to add more "stuff" about our Seniors! Go Rhody!
16 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Senior night - 2017

Unread post by adam914 »

Love it, good stuff!
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Love both these guys. Wish they weren't leaving. Saturday is going to be tough. I literally well up thinking about it.

I'm so proud of KI. He's matured so much as a basketball player and more importantly as a man. Much of the blame is on him for his departure from Memphis, but he took his second chance at Rhode Island and made the best of it. He bought in. Credit to the coaching staff too for creating a culture where KI could grow on and off the court. We haven't heard the last from KI, both this year and in years to come. He's going to have a nice, long, productive professional career.

And Hass. A cornerstone of the Hurley era. Definitely a warrior! Tough to think about Rhody basketball without this guy. Irreplaceable. Thanks for battling for us for four years! Must be hundreds of times that I've jumped out of my chair in reaction to a thunderous dunk or a rejection from Hassan Martin. He's got a few more battles to fight for us. Hopefully a few more very meaningful battles well into March.

Both of these guys deserve an A10 championship and an invitation to the Big Dance. I hope they get to experience both before they leave Rhody.
7 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I hope you are right and the ovation is not interrupted.

GET THERE EARLY, Everyone!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

As I said in the game thread, I'm not ready for this to be Hassan's last game. The "core four" moniker wasn't just about the four best players, it was about the four guys that committed to us when they had more to offer us then we had to offer to them. They had more successful schools chasing them and they chose us. Saturday we celebrate the first of the four. I'll miss Hassan in a Rhody uniform, and I'm sure people on this board will be tired of me bringing him up in 30 years if we're lucky enough to have another player like him.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Love this post each year. Neil, if my math is correct, and if your 1st one was '68, this IS your 50th! So awesome.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Billyboy78 wrote:Love this post each year. Neil, if my math is correct, and if your 1st one was '68, this IS your 50th! So awesome.
Yes, your math is correct. Graduating in '71, never missing...this is #50
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:As I said in the game thread, I'm not ready for this to be Hassan's last game. The "core four" moniker wasn't just about the four best players, it was about the four guys that committed to us when they had more to offer us then we had to offer to them. They had more successful schools chasing them and they chose us. Saturday we celebrate the first of the four. I'll miss Hassan in a Rhody uniform, and I'm sure people on this board will be tired of me bringing him up in 30 years if we're lucky enough to have another player like him.
RR2,
I totally agree.
And, let me add, If I'm able to hear anything in 30 years, I'll be thrilled...lol
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

I have a photo of hass dunking in a kid's face...easily the best basketball photo I've ever seen...he's the man!!!

And KI...I waited a long time to leave after the Fordham loss...very depressing obviously...finally got my coat on and left, I think it was just me Koussa and some family members by that time.
Anyway, KI was walking out and instead of me picking him up, it was actually kind of the opposite...he said, 'We're gonna get the next one.' What else could either of us say? Anyway, I thought it showed great maturity on his part. I have been very critical of the team and the coach over the last year, but he has certainly brought a great group of young men to the campus, and KI is a prime example! Hopefully they keep the good times going, and as KI so thoughtfully put it, go out and just get the next one.
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

IMG_0294.JPG
5 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Agree with everything.

I've always felt transfers were suspect because if they were good enough, their coaches would have figured out a way to keep them. This season, KI has made me think twice about that -- especially since the conference schedule started, he's done whatever needed to be done to win, including sacrificing his wing-type body to play the post. And, by all accounts, he's been a model citizen.

Hats off to both KI and Hassan.
Last edited by Rhode_Island_Red 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Does anyone think EC walks out?

If he does, he's as good as gone.

If he doesn't, there's still a chance he could leave, but obviously is a lot less likely than if he does walk out.
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody15 wrote:Does anyone think EC walks out?

If he does, he's as good as gone.

If he doesn't, there's still a chance he could leave, but obviously is a lot less likely than if he does walk out.
I don't think so.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Congrats to the seniors I hope you guys get to play in the big dance

EC needs to come back he needs major improvements
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I would not be surprised if he grad transferred to a P5 conference to try it for a year. He could play a complimentary role on a good team. And he may want to measure himself at that level
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

KI became my son's favorite player the day we went to the open practice last season & Ki unprovoked came up to my son & started talking to him & asked if he wanted a picture. It meant a lot to the both of us. Thanks KI.

9 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Love Neil's post.
This is one I'll be missing.
Always enjoyed senior night.
Hassan is one who'll always be in our minds,
years from now.
Iverson? I honestly think when he gets to play
where fouls aren't called by breathing on someone,
he'll be successful.
I spoke to him a little after he arrived on campus.
I was happy to see none of the so called attitude
from him.
He was gracious, articulate, and sincere about what
he wanted to accomplish here.
He's definitely been a positive for the program.
As for transfers,yes, we've had some busts, but I think of Jimmy Cymbala,Nate Adger,
Abu Bakr, Claude English, Abdul Fox, Mike Brown, and Scott Hazelton,
among those who made the URI program, proud.
3 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Look forward to Neil's post every year. KI has become one of my favorite players. He has developed into a very good defensive player. Just shut down Tillman. And he's earned Hurley's trust to the point where he plays 30+ minutes a lot. Wasn't sure that day would come.
Agree with everything said about Hassan. A man. A warrior. The 18 rebounds says to me he's finally healthy. Good timing.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodyram74
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by rhodyram74 »

Thank you Neil for your thoughtful words. I always look forward to your Senior Night post.It's always a moving, emotional night, one I wouldn't miss. We have to always remind ourselves that they are kids, playing a game they love and giving it everything they have. You can't tell me the rest of the team won't be playing their hearts out for KI and Hass. Looking forward to Saturday and a big win. Go Rhody!
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

just to make sure this doesn't get buried
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I will have to retire my avatar shortly...copped it a few days after seeing him play his final high school game before enrolling at URI.
Definitely an all-time great Ram. Will be sad to say goodbye to Hassan.

KI has been a vital cog for this year's team, and probably 1 of the few who has exceeded preseason expectations.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

EC doesn't have to transfer to P5 to play P5 and good teams. He just has to actually play good against them.

URI schedule offers several opportunities to make it.

Look at Bembry and look at EC. Hope next year EC dominates like Bembry did.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

EC should be a lot better next year if he keeps working hard
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

rhodyrudder wrote:IMG_0294.JPG
Hey my avatar! So sad to see Hass go. I can't even believe it's already been 4 years. Classy guy and hard worker. Thanks for the memories.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Unless EC graduates this semester, where's he going
to go that he wouldn't have to sit out a year?
Or is Koch ruminating about EC going pro?
Not a good idea.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

VCU Game: If we make the long awaited NCAA Tournament I will think of this absolutely dominating performance by HM and KI vs VCU. VCU came in just outside the AP Top 25 ranked 26th. An absolute must game for URI. to be considered for an NCAA at large birth. The season on the brink. VCU with a solid, proven front line of Mo Alie-Cox and Justin Tillman.

Martin 23 minutes, career high 18 rebounds, 17 points, 2 blocks, 1 TO, 4 fouls
Iverson 36 minutes, 8 rebounds, 5 points, 3 blocks, 1 TO, 1 steal, 2 fouls
versus
Tillman 17 minutes, 1 rebound, 5 points, 0 blocks, 0 TO, 2 fouls
Alie-Cox 19 minutes, 2 rebounds, 4 points, 1 block, 1 steal, 1 TO, 4 fouls

Combined Martin/Iverson versus Alie-Cox/Tillman:
- Rebounds: 26-3
- Blocks: 5-1

Will Wade put Tillman on the bench because he was getting dominated, much to the chagrin and criticism of VCU posters on their message board, Wade saw the domination that was taking place and sat out Tillman. 2 Stud Big Men for VCU were pummeled by Martin and Iverson. 26 rebounds to 3 rebounds - think about that :!: :!:

Career high 18 rebounds for Martin in a huge game vs 26th ranked team and traditional A10 power VCU

Cincinnati Game: Biggest win of Hurley's URI Career to date
Martin 18 minutes, 5-6 FG, 4-4 FTs, 3 rebounds, 2 blocks, 14 points, 4 fouls
Iverson 33 minutes, 5-10 FG, 5-6 FTs, 10 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 block, 15 points - a double-double :!:

Look forward to Senior Night tonight, always special.

What an amazing career for Hassan Martin - so fortunate for us that he chose the University of Rhode Island to further his education and his basketball career. Makes me so proud to think of Hassan Martin as a fellow Alum.

So happy Kuran Iverson chose the University of Rhode Island upon leaving Memphis. He has represented himself well here at URI as a student, a person and a basketball player. I'm proud to think of Kuran Iverson as a fellow Alum.

Thank you to both. As your lives go on I know that your pride in URI will continue to grow just as pride for our school has continued to grow for all of us. You made a great choice to come to URI and we could not be more proud of you both :!: :!: :!: :!:
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Do doors open earlier today? I know it's always an hour before game time, but I thought it might be earlier because of the ceremonies.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

ramster wrote:VCU Game: If we make the long awaited NCAA Tournament I will think of this absolutely dominating performance by HM and KI vs VCU. VCU came in just outside the AP Top 25 ranked 26th. An absolute must game for URI. to be considered for an NCAA at large birth. The season on the brink. VCU with a solid, proven front line of Mo Alie-Cox and Justin Tillman.

Martin 23 minutes, career high 18 rebounds, 17 points, 2 blocks, 1 TO, 4 fouls
Iverson 36 minutes, 8 rebounds, 5 points, 3 blocks, 1 TO, 1 steal, 2 fouls
versus
Tillman 17 minutes, 1 rebound, 5 points, 0 blocks, 0 TO, 2 fouls
Alie-Cox 19 minutes, 2 rebounds, 4 points, 1 block, 1 steal, 1 TO, 4 fouls

Combined Martin/Iverson versus Alie-Cox/Tillman:
- Rebounds: 26-3
- Blocks: 5-1

Will Wade put Tillman on the bench because he was getting dominated, much to the chagrin and criticism of VCU posters on their message board, Wade saw the domination that was taking place and sat out Tillman. 2 Stud Big Men for VCU were pummeled by Martin and Iverson. 26 rebounds to 3 rebounds - think about that :!: :!:

Career high 18 rebounds for Martin in a huge game vs 26th ranked team and traditional A10 power VCU

Cincinnati Game: Biggest win of Hurley's URI Career to date
Martin 18 minutes, 5-6 FG, 4-4 FTs, 3 rebounds, 2 blocks, 14 points, 4 fouls
Iverson 33 minutes, 5-10 FG, 5-6 FTs, 10 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 block, 15 points - a double-double :!:

Look forward to Senior Night tonight, always special.

What an amazing career for Hassan Martin - so fortunate for us that he chose the University of Rhode Island to further his education and his basketball career. Makes me so proud to think of Hassan Martin as a fellow Alum.

So happy Kuran Iverson chose the University of Rhode Island upon leaving Memphis. He has represented himself well here at URI as a student, a person and a basketball player. I'm proud to think of Kuran Iverson as a fellow Alum.

Thank you to both. As your lives go on I know that your pride in URI will continue to grow just as pride for our school has continued to grow for all of us. You made a great choice to come to URI and we could not be more proud of you both :!: :!: :!: :!:

Extremely impressive.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Kinda ironic...if we lose tonight, we likely pick up a top 100 win
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Kinda ironic...if we lose tonight, we likely pick up a top 100 win
You know, I hadn't thought about that, but you appear to be right.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Love this guy. I'm getting emotional thinking about. I can't imagine how he feels.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Much thanks to both Hass and KI for all they have giving to this program and its fans. Even though there have been so low moments, there were many more high moment
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Because graduations make me all sentimental and want to reminisce.

One of my favorite articles from this season about Hassan-

http://nypost.com/2017/03/15/hassan-mar ... rley-said/

And this, from the Senior Night win-

Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Kuran's turn...

Iverson Big Part Of URI's Run To First NCAA Tournament Appearance Since 1999
http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-kuran- ... story.html

And with the sign on Senior Night-
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ace, can you imagine what next year's senior night will be like?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice to see Hass and KI really appreciate their time at URI
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:Ace, can you imagine what next year's senior night will be like?
It will be so good, but I think the literal answer is "long" :)

This past one was emotional, too. Dan couldn't even watch Hassan's highlight video. Hassan's his first 4 year college guy, from recruitment to graduation. We wanted that game to be his last at The Ryan Center, but it wasn't assured that it was going to be.

Since the season ended, I've watched the senior night game again. It was good the first time; it's even better when you know how the season turns out after that.
2 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Next year will have plenty of graduates. I guess I'll have to pull an all nighter for Seniors.
2 x