Game #30: Davidson Saturday March 4, 6:00PM SENIOR NIGHT ASN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #30: Davidson Saturday March 4, 6:00PM SENIOR NIGHT ASN

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Different team these days for sure...finally walked out of the Ry with a close game, OT big win....
THAT ....was awesome. Real high hopes for Pittsburgh now...can't wait to get there...
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Now that is how you finish! Way to send the big crowd home happy...now they are building a fan base! You win and they come back for more! I am so glad my doom and gloom was wrong!
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

Last game I ever attend as a student (I HOPE) and it was easily the best in my 5 years of school. The team that lost the Dayton game(s) in horrific fashion has disappeared, hopefully forever. That was an NCAA tourney environment/comeback/finish.
4 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Just home. Who was that guy who scored the last 8 points? Wow. Looked like someone who decided to just play and stop thinking. Hopefully EC continues to shine from here on out. What a way to send the seniors out!!!
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Great game! Boy did I have my doubts at the five minute mark. Had a chance to talk with Coach Harrick - very gracious. Don't stick a fork in the Rams, yet!!
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So many memorable plays...the EC dunk, the Jarvis steal, the Robinson block. And the bizarre plays...EC's pass to no one, the 5 second call, Kuran's pass to Davidson when the game could have been wrapped up. Strange that both Jarvis and Dowtin were both on the bench for the last few minutes and overtime, but somehow it worked out. Basically played 7 guys, with our bench forwards only getting 5 minutes apiece and Thompson a DNP. A lot for this old man to handle, but a very happy old man right now. Hass is just a beast right now, 21 and 17. Kuran with 17 and 11. Both played 40 minutes. Ballsy game for both of the seniors. They'll get some needed rest now. Ready for the tourney. Go Rhody!!!
5 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

And of course I was in NY all day and missed this....but followed the 2nd half and OT on my phone.......thought we were toast down 5 with 3+ minutes left......

Whatever it takes......win Friday and we're right on the edge.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I stood in my seat area for many minutes after, to take in the gathering of players at mid court.....wondferful momemts for the seniors, and the coaches......great job all.....just win the next one and then who knows.....maybe enough.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

RIFan wrote:They do not rise to the challenge...they wilt
Read page 3 of this thread for more well thought out statements like this one

Such a great game!! The play where EC broke that kid's ankles and dunked on another was BEAUTIFUL.

My favorite sequence though was when EC threaded two defenders and made an and-1 --- and on the very next play, where Davidson inbounded the ball, Stan absolutely LAID OUT jack gibbs for no reason
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Couple quick notes:

Got to RC early. Matthews was practicing that exact dribble drive power slam. Exact angle of attack he used on the play in OT.....pretty weird. I missed getting a pic of it in both warm ups and the game. Right in front of me!

Saw Harrick walked right by me at half time. Gave the usual smile. Didn't realize it was him until he was past me....

I think I got some good Nikon pics....try to post a few on Instagram in the AM.

Davidson is well coached, a super high IQ team, they run some gorgeous sets in half court O. They attack every single possession with a purpose. Like I already said they have two super elite players....both sneaky good. Gonna be a tough out in Pittsburg.

Go Rhody!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

What a wild game!
Maybe Matthews should ditch the 3 point shot and
just go to the basket?
0-6 from 3, 7-12 from 2.
Most clutch performance of his career, easily.
This was Hassan Martin's night, however.
Tower of strength from beginning to end.
21-17!
Iverson 17-11 was big, early.
They will be greatly missed next year.
Garrett again with great passes, smart play and
high energy. The offense seems to jump a notch when
he's in the game.
Terrell, second straight no show. How this happens with
someone of his talent, is baffling.
Robinson off the bench, big contributions on both
ends of the floor.
Davidson looked 100% better than they did in the first
meeting.
Guess Gibbs was sick the first time.
He abused Dowtin all night, until they switched Robinson
on him.
Aldrich played better, also.
Hurley made all the right moves tonight, and
Davidson had a few awful possessions down
the stretch during regulation and OT.
So, must win game was won.
A close game was closed out.
Number 21.
Now for the big test......
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Best game I've ever witnessed in person, in any sport. The back and forth, the dunk by EC and alley oop to Has, the emotions of the come back the block at the buzzer to force OT, unreal, this team deserves a ticket.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
GO RAMS
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

All I know is this: Rhody beat Davidson and I got a snazzy motherfuckin wooly hat. So in a sense, we're all winners.
1 x
Martyf250
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Martyf250 »

ESPN just had lunardi as uri first team OUT

No days off
0 x
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by KillSteenKill »

Did anybody else enjoy Monica Mcnutts at halftime?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

neil wrote:Great game! Boy did I have my doubts at the five minute mark. Had a chance to talk with Coach Harrick - very gracious. Don't stick a fork in the Rams, yet!!
Was this his first time in the Ryan Center? What does he think of the building he had such a hand in creating?
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Amazing game! I haven't gone to many games this season but I feel pretty fortunate Cincy, VCU and Davidson have been 3 of the 5 I've made it to.

Stan's block at the end of the game might be the play that saved our season. I thought for sure whoever it was on Davidson (Aldridge maybe?) was going to lay it in for a game winner. EC's dunk was also one of the most exciting plays I've seen from him all season. How many times have we seen EC drive like that and dunk, one other time in his career maybe? Overall awesome game and hopefully what will be Hassan's and Iverson's last home game (assuming we don't end up in the NIT).
Last edited by josephski 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

mstyles22 wrote: - EC has made a few shots but given the stakes this is his worst game of the year.
This is why they play 40 minutes in college hoops (sometimes 45).

Where has this Matthews fella been all year? :shock: Glad he showed up tonight.

EPIC WIN!

(And I'm pretty sure they won because I DVR'd the second half so my wife could finish her movie.)
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I really enjoy reading a game thread from the tip off to the end after a game like this. I don't fault anyone for being frustrated during parts of the game, but it is funny remembering how much frustration there was before the elation.

I didn't see anyone mention this, but as much respect as I have for Bob McKillop, Davidson screwed up not fouling URI once we got it over half court on our last possession. Not only was 6 seconds not enough time to leave themselves but with the way we shoot free throws it seemed like a no-brainer to me.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great comeback win !!

EC getting that explosion back we need it bad

Got to beat Bonnie's to get another crack at Dayton
0 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Holy sh*t. That's all I can say about that game. That's as gutsy as it gets. It was feeling all too familiar when we got the 5 second call. Stan f*cking Robinson, thank you. Hass you truly are a beast. Going to dearly miss you. EC, please just let it loose for the rest of this year like you did down the stretch in this one. Special things can happen if you continue that type of play. KI, you amaze me sometimes with your decisions, but I'll be damned if you haven't won me over. A clutch win, so necessary for so many reasons. I don't want this ride to end. This team, us fans, deserve something special to happen. Let's see if this is the year.
2 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

ps. Proclamation has solid beer
1 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

I don't want to start a new thread for this, but what's up with CT? How does he not see any minutes in a game like today?

Hey, it all worked out but if EC, JT and Stan stay out of foul trouble is that it for him? Personally I think he's a great defender and could have helped with Gibbs

I've said this before, he'll probably be buried on the bench next year with our guard heavy roster, but I hope he doesn't transfer because he'll be a projected starter as a senior.
1 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Think he might have been hurt. He bumped knees with someone in the Joe's game and looked a little gimpy afterwards.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:I really enjoy reading a game thread from the tip off to the end after a game like this. I don't fault anyone for being frustrated during parts of the game, but it is funny remembering how much frustration there was before the elation.

I didn't see anyone mention this, but as much respect as I have for Bob McKillop, Davidson screwed up not fouling URI once we got it over half court on our last possession. Not only was 6 seconds not enough time to leave themselves but with the way we shoot free throws it seemed like a no-brainer to me.
Yeah, I always tell myself I'm going to stop posting during games for this exact reason, but then I always fall back into it after awhile. Glad they proved us all wrong.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What a night!
Great crowd, very enthusiastic :!:
The pregame ceremonies were fantastic. Love seeing so many family members and friends attending for the Seniors. Touching moments.
Great to see one of URI's all time greats, Marc Upshaw at the game, visiting from Columbus Georgia
Team never gave up
I watched Gibbs a lot with and without the ball all night. He was red hot, but seemed to take a lot of off balance shots, quite a few of which went in. Twice he was hobbling on what looked like a twisted ankle. There was a lot of switching off on Gibbs, not exactly sure why, but they run a lot of picks for him. Dowtin, Terrell, Garrett all had chances covering Gibbs but anyone who covered him tonight seemed to struggle, of course he is a very good player, but Robinson stood out among everyone in his ability to slow Gibbs down. Thought it was a good move by Hurley to go with Robinson down the stretch along with Iverson, Martin, Mathews and Terrell with Robinson primarily on Gibbs.

I thought we had a great chance to win the game when it was tied and our ball in regulation with 10 seconds to go. I don't know if we had a time out remaining or not but I was surprised Garrett did not take a time out or why the Bench didn't call a time out instead of incurring the 5 second call. Also not sure what Hurley was complaining about but likely it was that the 5 seconds was too fast. I thought he was wanting them to go to the monitor to time the 5 seconds but not sure what the TV announcers would have been saying on this.
Even if we didn't have a time out, Garrett HAS to let that ball go taking a chance that it could get stolen - but just holding it - ouch. I thought Davidson absolutely had the layup at the buzzer and the game was over. I had visions of other painful losses in final seconds. I don't even know where Robinson came from but it was totally unexpected for me, I didn't see it coming. Unbelievable play, good coaching by Hurley to see we needed Robinson on Gibbs and Robinson on the floor in clutch time tonight.

EC's dunk was amazing. So quick, so powerful, so unexpected. He also had a clutch drive he scored on and was fouled. Really took charge. He also had a huge blocked shot with 2 minutes to go.

What can you say more about our big men, Martin and Iverson. The Seniors played like Seniors and like All Conference Big Men.

A game we had to have, almost let it get away, but we came back and took it.

On to Pittsburgh. Great win, great night :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

13-5....best since 13-5 just 2 years ago........and best since Jim Harrick who of course was in the house tonight.
1 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I think we did not have any time outs left.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

For the first time ever it seems an opposing team missed a wide open 3 from the corner in crunch time....as happy as I am, they need to clean that up, when you are playing no threes stop freaking doubling down low and leaving shooters open.

Happy to see them pull that one out - jack Gibbs was awesome last night and we withstood Davidson's best shot. Build on this one.

JUST KEEP WINNING!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

mstyles22 wrote:I don't want to start a new thread for this, but what's up with CT? How does he not see any minutes in a game like today?

Was thinking the same same thing. I think he would have helped in limiting Gibbs.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Anybody DVR this one?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yup. One of the only DVRd games this season I would want to watch again. I just watched second half of game again this morning.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote:For the first time ever it seems an opposing team missed a wide open 3 from the corner in crunch time....as happy as I am, they need to clean that up, when you are playing no threes stop freaking doubling down low and leaving shooters open.

Happy to see them pull that one out - jack Gibbs was awesome last night and we withstood Davidson's best shot. Build on this one.

JUST KEEP WINNING!
I was thinking the same thing when he missed it. But in helping with the streak they did hit the 3 to tie the game in regulation with 10 seconds to go
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Never get tired of watching this. Came at such a critical time, in a must win game, in OT

http://www.thescore.com/news/1246270
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From gorhody.com

Stat of the Game, pt. I
56 - Rhody scored a season-high 56 points in the paint. It is the highest scoring total from the post in over a decade.

Stat of the Game, pt. II
9 & 18 - There were nine ties and 18 lead changes in tonight's game.
1 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Garrett, Martin and EC all looked as healthy as they have all season yesterday. Bodes well for us heading to Pitt.
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

PS I just found this game on my DVR in Boston, apparently it was on NESN +

The 5 second call with 10 sec left was complete bullshit, I timed it and didnt even get to 4. Refs almost robbed us of this one.
1 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Joe wrote:
RIFan wrote:They do not rise to the challenge...they wilt
Read page 3 of this thread for more well thought out statements like this one

Such a great game!! The play where EC broke that kid's ankles and dunked on another was BEAUTIFUL.

My favorite sequence though was when EC threaded two defenders and made an and-1 --- and on the very next play, where Davidson inbounded the ball, Stan absolutely LAID OUT jack gibbs for no reason
Hey, we only had 5 years of history backing that statement up...yesterday was unfortunately or fortunately the exception not the rule. I can guarantee that 90%+ of you all felt the same way at that point. We are all glad they broke the pattern. Hopefully this team has learned to win under pressure and not wilt...it is an intangible this team has been missing but programs like Dayton have...
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I feel like for years I have railed against EC's BBIQ for the sheer fact that his situation awareness with relation to his skillset was lacking.

EC doesn't have an NBA level shot, handle, free throw %, or defense. He's just not consistent in those areas. What EC does have is possibly the most unstoppable left hand finish in the lane and at the rim.

For the first time in his career here, at possibly the biggest moment, he put the team on his back and relied on that skillset. The guy wearing the #0 from OT last night is the player I think we all hoped we had here.

If he commits to playing inside of himself in that style, taking 10-12 shots a night with 85% of those in the lane, he will take this team very far and finally live up to the expectations he's had since he got here.

Still in disbelief. Not used to this in March.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:Anybody DVR this one?
had to i worked last night cant wait to watch it
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:I really enjoy reading a game thread from the tip off to the end after a game like this. I don't fault anyone for being frustrated during parts of the game, but it is funny remembering how much frustration there was before the elation.

If you like that TP, read the Davidson from beginning to end, 11 pages but they read pretty quick.
Interesting similarities from when Davidson is in control, then close, then losing. It's interesting to see how they view our team and players too. Of course FTs and the Davidson coaching staff takes some heat at the end :lol: :lol:

http://davidsoncats.com/viewtopic.php?t ... &start=180
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

I'm gonna give the most overly dramatic/way too in depth analysis... but that EC SLAM included him taking off from beyond the charge circle from his braced knee. We've all seen the hesitance he has played with all season, but him knowing he had that type of bounce off of that knee, in OT, may spur some confidence that could be a game changer.

We're on to St. Bonaventure/UMASS/St. Joes.
3 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

That was one of the most fun games I've been at in awhile. I sat with my brother and his frat brothers in the student section (I looked like an 8th year senior but that's ok) and had a blast. Just a great, great night.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

To put things into perspective.....
a dogfight to OT against a team that we
destroyed on their home court.
We were 7-8 point favorites.
Yes, we won, but it's a game we should have won,
and almost lost.
Any win is good, but this could have been
catastrophic if we lost.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramswin
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ramswin »

If we get an at-large bid than Robinson's blocked shot at the buzzer will be remembered around here for a long time. I almost had a heart attack when it looked like Davidson was going to hit an easy bank shot for the win.
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Got a few pics up on my IG feed from front row s306 last night

#Keaneyblue

Share yours please!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:To put things into perspective.....
a dogfight to OT against a team that we
destroyed on their home court.
We were 7-8 point favorites.
Yes, we won, but it's a game we should have won,
and almost lost.
Any win is good, but this could have been
catastrophic if we lost.
Yep

Teams that go deep into tournaments win these games.

Is this team ready to win?

Go Rhody!

That Widcat forum is a familiar read.....

:)
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

hrstrat57 wrote:Got a few pics up on my IG feed from front row s306 last night

#Keaneyblue

Share yours please!

Nice Pics HR
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Love that Hurley chose Robinson over Terrell in the last minutes. Look at that Robinson block!

Just the game before or the one before that Hurley was running everything through Terrell and EC was on the bench.

Dan has really been letting the hot players play.

Then still subbing Jared in for defense for EC down the stretch. I agree with all that.

I think this year just watching I have felt like EC plays better offense when they sub offense for defense at the end. It seems to calm him and focus. Too bad basketball you have to play both ways. :D

I really hope Thompson can get healthy. I am a big fan of his. I think he is the strongest, most athletic wing we have and he is tough as nails. Hope he can get a chance to contribute and the benefit of post season play.

Healthy Jarvis Garrett picking up where he left off last February.

Jaylen Adams should be tough, but I really hope we get a look at Dayton. Theyre playing good but I think URI is playing at a higher level than them.

Also Dayton bounced URI in Brooklyn 2 years ago. I was there. Felt URI had more of a shot than they showed. Thought it was a maturity issue. 4 point loss.

Interesting that 4 of the top 5 teams that year are back in the top 4. Rich, Dayton, VCU, URI.

!!!!! ON to PITTSBURGH!!!!!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry