Game #30: Davidson Saturday March 4, 6:00PM SENIOR NIGHT ASN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #30: Davidson Saturday March 4, 6:00PM SENIOR NIGHT ASN

Unread post by TruePoint »

rodfromcranston wrote:To put things into perspective.....
a dogfight to OT against a team that we
destroyed on their home court.
We were 7-8 point favorites.
Yes, we won, but it's a game we should have won,
and almost lost.
Any win is good, but this could have been
catastrophic if we lost.
This is all true, but consistency is always an issue in college basketball and especially for this URI team. Add in all of the different stuff around Senior Night plus two guys on the other side that are capable of going off and making it hard on the other team, and it was a recipe for a letdown. I'm encouraged that it didn't seem we played our best game and they got all-conference efforts from their all-conference players and we still gutted it out and found a way to win.

You can't rely on that every time out, but being able to survive some things going against you every once in a while is good.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Remember, Mobley had a really hideous game here,
when the Bonnies were in.
Like Gibbs did in the first Davidson game.
A return to form by Mobley, could make
Bona a more dangerous foe.
Let's not take anything for granted
going forward.
The double bye really helps, though.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I thought the adjustment Hurley made to sit both Garrett and Dowtin down the stretch was pretty interesting. Went without any true PG out there in the most critical parts of the game and it worked.
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Great win for URI given how bad our outside shooting and FT was. This team looks to have turned it around and this new found confidence will give the team a boost in Pittsburgh. We will know for sure on Friday to see if URI can avoid a repeat of last year's quarterfinal ouster by an inferior UMass team.

BTW, the crowd atmosphere for this game was electric, kudos to the students and all parties for contributing. Not even the best game at the Dunk could ever match this kind of environment and it will only get better given our large and boisterous student body and the fact our fan base is not mainly geriatric!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rodfromcranston wrote:To put things into perspective.....
a dogfight to OT against a team that we
destroyed on their home court.
We were 7-8 point favorites.
Yes, we won, but it's a game we should have won,
and almost lost.
Any win is good, but this could have been
catastrophic if we lost.
I agree with all of this...but the key is that our extremely emotional team made mistakes, had some calls go against them in crunch time, and had every reason to collapse as we have seen them do in similar spots.

But like with VCU, they grabbed their nuts and made winning plays. They fought through all of that...which I think means a lot more in this situation than a clean win and covering imo.

Had this been a smooth sailing game from start to finish I think it would be fair to have to wonder how this team would face back-against-the-wall pressure in the tournament games next weekend.

Winning that game in that fashion answered those questions and gIves them the confidence that I think they've lacked in past big games.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Quick story about the game. i was unable to watch or stream the game in south Jersey, so at about 12;15
I convince my wife to get in the car with me and drive 5 hours so we could see the game. I guess i must be a little off.
anyway, of course in the end it was well worth it. managed to get to the RC by 5PM, get tickets and enjoy the
senior night festivities and stand through the whole game in the last row of 304 hoping that somehow they
could pull this game out even though they trailed by 9 with only a few minutes left. Then EC Matthews took
over and made the trip all worth it. One of the most exciting comeback wins I have ever seen against
Davidson and Jack Gibbs who was on fire all night. It made the 5 hour return trip after the game pretty easy.
Yeah we went home right after the game. Maybe it was a trial run for a trip to Pittsburgh ? We will see.
If we do go we won't be returning home the same night i will tell you that .
10 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

luke wrote:Quick story about the game. i was unable to watch or stream the game in south Jersey, so at about 12;15
I convince my wife to get in the car with me and drive 5 hours so we could see the game. I guess i must be a little off.
anyway, of course in the end it was well worth it. managed to get to the RC by 5PM, get tickets and enjoy the
senior night festivities and stand through the whole game in the last row of 304 hoping that somehow they
could pull this game out even though they trailed by 9 with only a few minutes left. Then EC Matthews took
over and made the trip all worth it. One of the most exciting comeback wins I have ever seen against
Davidson and Jack Gibbs who was on fire all night. It made the 5 hour return trip after the game pretty easy.
Yeah we went home right after the game. Maybe it was a trial run for a trip to Pittsburgh ? We will see.

Luke I LOVE this lol
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

luke wrote:Quick story about the game. i was unable to watch or stream the game in south Jersey, so at about 12;15
True fan. We need more Lukes and Mrs. Lukes!
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

Yeah, how many of us just thought "Hmm, would my wife have gone for that plan? Ten hours of driving for a potential choke-job loss?" lol
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramswin wrote:If we get an at-large bid than Robinson's blocked shot at the buzzer will be remembered around here for a long time. I almost had a heart attack when it looked like Davidson was going to hit an easy bank shot for the win.
I thought it was over, I really thought he had the 2 points and the ball had already left his hand. I could not stop thinking about that disastrous 5 second call when Garrett didn't throw the ball and the controversy over whether the 5 second call was too quick by the ref. A horrible loss in regular time when we had the ball with 10 seconds on the clock and the ball in our possession. Best case should be we win. Worst case should be OT.

But nightmare case is we have a turnover or a 5 second call or offensive foul. And here we get the nightmarish 5 second call and Davidson gets it with 10 seconds left.

But Robinson flies in like Superman, like TJ Buchanan on Senior Night, like Michael Jordan, coming out of nowhere and blocking the shot and NOT committing the foul. Amazing play by a guy who I could easily see receiving the 6th man award in the A10. Without that play we are all talking about the 5 second call today and Baron 2.0 is full speed ahead.

Robinson was amazing for that play and also the defensive pressure that he put on a red hot Jack Gibbs.
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

skwalk47 wrote:PS I just found this game on my DVR in Boston, apparently it was on NESN +

The 5 second call with 10 sec left was complete bullshit, I timed it and didnt even get to 4. Refs almost robbed us of this one.
I did the same thing ... 3.5 secs at most. It was a B.S. call.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

URI2006_Andy wrote:Garrett, Martin and EC all looked as healthy as they have all season yesterday. Bodes well for us heading to Pitt.
Agree, but I think when he gets tired, EC's leg still hurts. He was limping at times late in the game. The few days off should help.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Wish I'd known. I would have gladly put you up in our home in Westerly.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Obadiah wrote:Great win for URI given how bad our outside shooting and FT was. This team looks to have turned it around and this new found confidence will give the team a boost in Pittsburgh. We will know for sure on Friday to see if URI can avoid a repeat of last year's quarterfinal ouster by an inferior UMass team.

BTW, the crowd atmosphere for this game was electric, kudos to the students and all parties for contributing. Not even the best game at the Dunk could ever match this kind of environment and it will only get better given our large and boisterous student body and the fact our fan base is not mainly geriatric!
Agree...the atmosphere was phenomenal...I mentioned to the people around us at one point when everyone was standing, screaming, waving towels...that you really only see it like that 3 or 4 times a year at most...but, it's one of the main reasons we get tickets.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Geriatric - funny and so true !

Let's goooooooo !
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Those last 2 home games can hopefully leave a lasting taste in the mouths of the student body...great way to end the home schedule, Ryan Center hasn't been that loud in a long time.
2 x
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

I was in the last row of 304 as well. Had my son next to me in an EC jersey. We had a great view of that last play in regulation. Unbelievable awareness by Stan to get back and make that block.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ramster wrote:Never get tired of watching this. Came at such a critical time, in a must win game, in OT

http://www.thescore.com/news/1246270
Best offensive play of the season. Especially considering when it happened and what was at stake.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Luke you're the man, but hat tip to your wife also. Awesome.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Micheal_Phelps_22 wrote:I was in the last row of 304 as well. Had my son next to me in an EC jersey. We had a great view of that last play in regulation. Unbelievable awareness by Stan to get back and make that block.
Ahhh, I think you were sitting next to me. I had the obstructed view 2 seats to your left.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

bigappleram wrote:Those last 2 home games can hopefully leave a lasting taste in the mouths of the student body...great way to end the home schedule, Ryan Center hasn't been that loud in a long time.

i agree.. couple this with a NCAA bid and then i would agree even more !

let's go RHODY..

one step at a time..

let's get Friday !

been TOO effin long !

FOCUS
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I dont know if it has been mentioned anywhere but when was the last time two of our guys had a double-double in the same game?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RoadyJay wrote:I dont know if it has been mentioned anywhere but when was the last time two of our guys had a double-double in the same game?

I had not seen that mentioned either. But isn't that amazing? Our two big men really stepped up this year. is there a team in the A10 that you would trade our 2 big men for theirs? I can't think of one.

RJ,
Great signs on Saturday.
Did you ever think that anyone would take your sign of Iverson and Martin and walk around the floor after the game holding it high?
You are famous
What did you think when Iverson did that? You must have been proud :D :D :D
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:I dont know if it has been mentioned anywhere but when was the last time two of our guys had a double-double in the same game?

I had not seen that mentioned either. But isn't that amazing? Our two big men really stepped up this year. is there a team in the A10 that you would trade our 2 big men for theirs? I can't think of one.

RJ,
Great signs on Saturday.
Did you ever think that anyone would take your sign of Iverson and Martin and walk around the floor after the game holding it high?
You are famous

It really is amazing. I've got a lot of love for both those guys. I'm going to try and look into it if I have time regarding two of our guys having double-doubles in the same game. Hopefully I don't have to go back too many years. But I can't recall any in recent memory. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened recently I just can't remember. Maybe Hass and Watson? Not sure.

Thanks for the kind words about the signs. I'd be lying if I told you it wasn't a very cool moment for me.

The coolest part for me was realizing that the sign had a dual purpose. I held up the sign during the senior night ceremony to thank KI and Hass for their contributions to Rhody basketball. At the end of the game, KI held it up to say thank you to the fans on behalf of himself and Hass.

Was also cool to see that Hass brought the sign into the post-game presser.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Do you know what they ended up doing with it? Wonder if they still have it somewhere? It was really cool seeing it after the game.
Last edited by adam914 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Oddly enough, it happened in each of the last two home games this season. Hassan Martin (17 points, 18 rebounds) and Jared Terrell (20 points, 10 rebounds) each had a double-double in the 69-59 win over VCU.

Before that you go back to March 5, 2014. Hassan Martin (12 points, 13 rebounds) and TJ Buchanan (14 points, 11 rebounds) each had a double-double in a 77-65 home win over Fordham.
Last edited by Bill Koch 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

adam914 wrote:Do you know what they ended up doing with it? Wonder if they still have it somewhere? It was really cool seeing it after the game.
No idea where it is. All I know is it's theirs now and I have no problem with that.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RoadyJay wrote:
ramster wrote:

RJ,
Great signs on Saturday.
You are famous

It really is amazing. I've got a lot of love for both those guys. I'm going to try and look into it if I have time regarding two of our guys having double-doubles in the same game. Hopefully I don't have to go back too many years. But I can't recall any in recent memory. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened recently I just can't remember. Maybe Hass and Watson? Not sure.

Thanks for the kind words about the signs. I'd be lying if I told you it wasn't a very cool moment for me.

The coolest part for me was realizing that the sign had a dual purpose. I held up the sign during the senior night ceremony to thank KI and Hass for their contributions to Rhody basketball. At the end of the game, KI held it up to say thank you to the fans on behalf of himself and Hass.

Was also cool to see that Hass brought the sign into the post-game presser.
WOW!
Guess this has the makings of a tradition!
Better get working on next year's sign
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RoadyJay wrote:
adam914 wrote:Do you know what they ended up doing with it? Wonder if they still have it somewhere? It was really cool seeing it after the game.
No idea where it is. All I know is it's theirs now and I have no problem with that.
Yeah for sure, that's awesome.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Next year's sign will have to be huge......5 guys.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Next year's sign will have to be huge......5 guys.

Please don't make us think about this team without EC, Jared, Jarvis and Stan... :shock: :shock: :shock:
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody15 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Next year's sign will have to be huge......5 guys.

Please don't make us think about this team without EC, Jared, Jarvis and Stan... :shock: :shock: :shock:
That's why we need a huge haul for the '18 recruiting class.
0 x