Retired Jerseys

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Retired Jerseys

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This may have been asked in the past on here ,but why doesn't URI pay respects to those players that deserve their numbers retired and Jerseys hung from the rafters? Ie. Sly, Odom, Cutino etc? I think it's a great way to show history and pride towards former players. I also always wonder why Frank Keaney isn't anywhere at the Ryan.
4 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Retired Jerseys

Unread post by theblueram »

Just to the left of the RC is a place called Keaney Gym. No better remembrance than that.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

theblueram wrote:Just to the left of the RC is a place called Keaney Gym. No better remembrance than that.
Yes to students and Alum.
1 x
GO RAMS
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Take down Carothers.

Carothers is not our Mothers.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Or a ring of honor or something ???
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I agree...good question to bring to Thorr. I know this had come up in the past but I don't remember what the reasons were.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Ha! HA!
Only Ernie Calverley's number 3 is retired for MBB.
Back after Sly declared he was going pro,
they decided to retire his number.
I went to the ceremony, so I can attest to this.
Well, someone at URI decided to be sanctimonious
and unretired Sly's number 35.
Why? Because he didn't graduate.
So, Mergin Sina, and Luther Clay, among others,
have since worn Sly's old number.
Only URI could muck up retiring a number.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I believe it was Jim Norman.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I brought it up after watching college ball tonight including a famous Orange named Carmelo Anthony who never graduated but his number 15 flies high at he done, same at PC.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Got me to thinking. Who would be on your Mount Rushmore for URI basketball? Mine would be Sly, Silk, Tyson and Kenny Green. I never saw Calverly, so I couldn't put him in there. Jiggy is my all time favorite, but couldn't crack that top 4. Several others were close.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

You'd need to go by eras.
For instance, how do you leave two national scoring
champion, All-Americans off any URI list?
Meet Stan Stutz and Chet Jaworski, who played for Rhode Island
and Frank Keaney.
Guys like the double-double machine and high scorer,NE POY,John Fultz?
Steve Rowell, just a tremendous, John Havelchek type player?
Art Stephanson, probably the most unique player ever to wear a
Ram uniform.
Steve Chubin, the human cannoball.
Dennis McGovern, and amazing shooter, who Bob Hurley still
talks about.
Because you never saw them or maybe never heard of them,
doesn't mean they weren't great players.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I would let Rod and Neil work out the Mount Rushmore for us.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....didn't Melo fund the Cuse practice facility......maybe that helps his number retire....?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Billyboy78 wrote:Got me to thinking. Who would be on your Mount Rushmore for URI basketball? Mine would be Sly, Silk, Tyson and Kenny Green. I never saw Calverly, so I couldn't put him in there. Jiggy is my all time favorite, but couldn't crack that top 4. Several others were close.

Keaney-Caverly-Sly-Mobley
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I can't judge players that I never saw. I'm only going by the ones that I saw play. I kind of remember Fultz, Stephenson and Rowell, but I would still put the other 4 ahead of them. I didn't see guys like Calverly, Stutz and Jaworski.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......we did, a few years ago, a 50 greatest players type recognition, not sure how they were displayed in the RC......anyone know?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

Kenny Green carried his team on one leg...
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I think it's a good idea, but the selection process would be extremely difficult. A committee would have to be formed with representation from all eras. Somehow, I think some great players by their omission would be unfairly slighted. Maybe ring of honor would make some sense. It would certainly challenge Baron 2.0 for comments. Michael Brown and Pappy would have my votes
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Kenny Green is top 10 all time in scoring with over 1700 points, 1st in career blocks and 4th in career rebounding. If he didn't have to play limited minutes because of his knee, he would definitely be 1st in two categories and maybe all three.
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

neil wrote:I think it's a good idea, but the selection process would be extremely difficult. A committee would have to be formed with representation from all eras. Somehow, I think some great players by their omission would be unfairly slighted. Maybe ring of honor would make some sense. It would certainly challenge Baron 2.0 for comments. Michael Brown and Pappy would have my votes
Let's be honest, would any players being slighted have a negative affect on our fanbase? URI needs something to start building a rich tradition (which obviously begins with making the NCAA tournament). I see only good coming from this.

Also, the comment saying Keaney gym is already there to represent FK is actually a complete slap in the face since the only sporting event there is Volleyball. His name not being somewhere in the RC is a disgrace.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

HASwatTeam wrote:
neil wrote:I think it's a good idea, but the selection process would be extremely difficult. A committee would have to be formed with representation from all eras. Somehow, I think some great players by their omission would be unfairly slighted. Maybe ring of honor would make some sense. It would certainly challenge Baron 2.0 for comments. Michael Brown and Pappy would have my votes
Let's be honest, would any players being slighted have a negative affect on our fanbase? URI needs something to start building a rich tradition (which obviously begins with making the NCAA tournament). I see only good coming from this.

Also, the comment saying Keaney gym is already there to represent FK is actually a complete slap in the face since the only sporting event there is Volleyball. His name not being somewhere in the RC is a disgrace.
Which brings up another point about Keaney gym. We have the trophies and remnants of games played there on display as you walk in, yet like HaSwat mentioned, the only people that walk in there are Volleyball fans. The Ryan needs a display case to really enhance the history of URI basketball, theres more representation at the Basketball hall of Fame then there is at the actual university. Something that should be mentioned to Thor. Imagine walking in and seeing past success and glory as you enter the Ryan.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
GO RAMS
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree 100% with comments on Frank Keaney, and the basketball
memorabilia in the lobby of Keaney Gym.
Now, as far as players from Keaney's era, I doubt anyone is
around who ever saw them play, let alone judge their merits.
Same is true of Babe Ruth and Joe Louis.
It doesn't stop people in baseball and boxing from touting
their greatness.
However, Stutz was the Pete Maravich of his era, as was
Jaworski before him.
These players were all time college career scoring kings, as well
as All-Americns.

Stan Modzeleski was a three‐time Helms Foundation basketball All‐America at Rhode Island State College. After graduation, with his name shortened to Stan Stutz, he joined the New York Americans of the Americans Basketball League. The following year he was traded to the Baltimore Bullets where he played for two seasons. During the 1945-46 season, Stutz led the league in scoring and the Bullets to the ABL championship. For the 1946-47 season, Stutz joined the New York Knicks in the newly established Basketball Association of America. He set a Knicks’ scoring record for playoff games that was not broken until 1969 by Willis Reed. After retiring as an active player, he served as one of the National Basketball Association’s top referees for many years. In later life, Stutz was an executive with the Technical Tape Corporation of New Rochelle, NewYork. He coached “Tuck-Tape” sponsored teams in the National Industrial Basketball League and the American Basketball League. Stutz was elected to the Helms Foundation Basketball Hall of Fame.

Chester S. "Chet" Jaworski (November 8, 1916 – October 16, 2003) was the University of Rhode Island (URI)'s first All-American selection in men's basketball. As a senior in 1938–39, he led the nation in scoring at 22.9 points per game and was named the Helms Foundation College Basketball Player of the Year as well as a Consensus NCAA First Team All-American. He scored a career-high 44 points in December 1938. Jaworski played the forward position in basketball, but he also earned three varsity letters for the school's baseball team and one letter for the football team. For his achievements, Jaworski was enshrined into both the URI and New England Basketball Halls of Fame.
How could their greatness be denied, because nobody is alive who saw them play?
Look at their numbers in relationship to their era.
Two guys who were National POY! Imagine if we had players on this level, today?
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Mike Moten's #54...this discussion should be shut down if Moten's name doesn't come up. Shame on all of you.
Last edited by PlayMikeMotenMore 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Agree 100% with comments on Frank Keaney, and the basketball
memorabilia in the lobby of Keaney Gym.
Now, as far as players from Keaney's era, I doubt anyone is
around who ever saw them play, let alone judge their merits.
Same is true of Babe Ruth and Joe Louis.
It doesn't stop people in baseball and boxing from touting
their greatness.
However, Stutz was the Pete Maravich of his era, as was
Jaworski before him.
These players were all time college career scoring kings, as well
as All-Americns.

Stan Modzeleski was a three‐time Helms Foundation basketball All‐America at Rhode Island State College. After graduation, with his name shortened to Stan Stutz, he joined the New York Americans of the Americans Basketball League. The following year he was traded to the Baltimore Bullets where he played for two seasons. During the 1945-46 season, Stutz led the league in scoring and the Bullets to the ABL championship. For the 1946-47 season, Stutz joined the New York Knicks in the newly established Basketball Association of America. He set a Knicks’ scoring record for playoff games that was not broken until 1969 by Willis Reed. After retiring as an active player, he served as one of the National Basketball Association’s top referees for many years. In later life, Stutz was an executive with the Technical Tape Corporation of New Rochelle, NewYork. He coached “Tuck-Tape” sponsored teams in the National Industrial Basketball League and the American Basketball League. Stutz was elected to the Helms Foundation Basketball Hall of Fame.

Chester S. "Chet" Jaworski (November 8, 1916 – October 16, 2003) was the University of Rhode Island (URI)'s first All-American selection in men's basketball. As a senior in 1938–39, he led the nation in scoring at 22.9 points per game and was named the Helms Foundation College Basketball Player of the Year as well as a Consensus NCAA First Team All-American. He scored a career-high 44 points in December 1938. Jaworski played the forward position in basketball, but he also earned three varsity letters for the school's baseball team and one letter for the football team. For his achievements, Jaworski was enshrined into both the URI and New England Basketball Halls of Fame.
How could their greatness be denied, because nobody is alive who saw them play?
Look at their numbers in relationship to their era.
Two guys who were National POY! Imagine if we had players on this level, today?
I'd prefer a more selective amount of numbers retired, think Red Sox rather than Celtics. Being an all American seems like a good qualification to getting your number retired.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Definitely a shame that there's nothing in the RC paying respects to Frank Keaney.
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

PeterRamTime wrote:Definitely a shame that there's nothing in the RC paying respects to Frank Keaney.
And if there is, and I have missed it all of these years despite attending nearly every home game because its so hidden or small, that is almost worse!
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Hard to retire numbers in basketball because there are relatively few -- 36 to be exact. That said, which players are in the URI Athletic Hall of Fame?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

There should be an area for this. And, it shouldn't be tucked away somewhere. Right in the lobby would be best.
Of course, URI has never been a leader in the marketing of a product like sports.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

HASwatTeam wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:Definitely a shame that there's nothing in the RC paying respects to Frank Keaney.
And if there is, and I have missed it all of these years despite attending nearly every home game because its so hidden or small, that is almost worse!
I think there's a picture of him somewhere in there.
But I mean he revolutionized basketball at URI. He's in the half of fame, one of the most important figures in basketball history.
How could there be nothing???
''Tis crazy
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Should be easy enough to rename the alumni lounge the Keaney Club and if the basketball hall of fame has plaques like the baseball hall then put up a replica on the outside of the doorway. Who's upset if it's not called the alumni lounge anymore? I mean that's a pretty easy and basic change.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Sly was a first team All-American. Along with the guys Rod wrote about, we could start there. I have not mentioned Lamar. Obviously he was a great player here. It just seems he wasn't here long enough to be mentioned with some of those other guys.
1 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

I have Sly's #35 (road Kaney blue) jersey hanging over my bar. As far as I'm concerned it's retired.
4 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

His junior year was when someone stole the team's home
uniforms and they had to wear the road uniforms for
the rest of the season.
Only URI wouldn't pay for new uniforms.
They were nationally ranked during that season, until
their year end collapse because we didn't have a
point guard.
Everyone pressed us to death and overplayed Sly
to his left hand.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Good thread
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rodfromcranston wrote:His junior year was when someone stole the team's home
uniforms and they had to wear the road uniforms for
the rest of the season.
Only URI wouldn't pay for new uniforms.
They were nationally ranked during that season, until
their year end collapse because we didn't have a
point guard.
Everyone pressed us to death and overplayed Sly
to his left hand.
Wow, wouldn't buy new home jerseys... sounds like something a middle school would do.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

HASwatTeam wrote:

Maybe it's the curse of Keaney himself why we have had futility since leaving his gym?!?!
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....I do recall some photo of a Keaney offspring James?.....in process carrying some ceremony ball from a Keaney into the RC....of course with Coach Baron in the parade.....where is that.....?

If it is true that none of the trophies etc from the hoop program history have been brought forward to the RC the in some high end design display is missing and disappointing, never really thought about it before this thread.....I fondly remember going to a Keaney in my youth to see Rhody games and/or high school state tourneys games and viewing the history in glass classes.....come on Athletics we can do better than this.....maybe someone thought the RC would give birth to a new and improved era of Rhody hoops that would create its own class case.....we await.....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like Rods point about eras

Should be pre 1970 then after 1970

That make it a lot easier
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I vote Keaney era. Keaney Gym era,
and Ryan Center era.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote:......we did, a few years ago, a 50 greatest players type recognition, not sure how they were displayed in the RC......anyone know?
.....or did I just dream this.....?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:
section(105) wrote:......we did, a few years ago, a 50 greatest players type recognition, not sure how they were displayed in the RC......anyone know?
.....or did I just dream this.....?
I know the NBA did that a few years ago. I don't remember us doing it.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

....OK got it now, back in 2006 there was named a URI men's basketball 100th anniversary team, and honored at a game......they were; Jaworski, Stutz, Calverly, Chubin, Stephenson, Sly, Pappy, Garrick, Silk, Green, Mobley, Wheeler, Keaney.....
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:....OK got it now, back in 2006 there was named a URI men's basketball 100th anniversary team, and honored at a game......they were; Jaworski, Stutz, Calverly, Chubin, Stephenson, Sly, Pappy, Garrick, Silk, Green, Mobley, Wheeler, Keaney.....
That looks like an excellent list, pretty much the names that have been mentioned in this thread.
1 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Rammgr wrote:I have Sly's #35 (road Kaney blue) jersey hanging over my bar. As far as I'm concerned it's retired.
You wouldn't happen to have all our white jerseys from that year, too, would you?
If yes, then we know where they all went....lol
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bumping this since we're having the same conversation today. Interesting to see the comments from a few years ago, including Rod.
0 x