The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

reef wrote:Plus Murph spent almost half of his life in RI so he may want to get his first head job in this state
How many of us got our first h... I can't go through with it.
4 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

As they did in Lacrosse, Baseball and Football, Bryant will upgrade basketball facility and make a major commitment. I believe the upgrades are the final phase of the capital improvements. O'Shea was a class act and right out of the mold of the old time coaches. He has paved the way. The next coach will be a young coach with upside. Regarding the Brown situation Martin has been below average and I believe he is not on as long of a leash as one might think. And Sorrentine has done nothing to distinguish himself.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Lol Red I meant first head coaching job !!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

This article is a week old, but pretty relevant.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... heir-jobs/

(sorry if it was already posted).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Bryant......Jim Carr.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Check out this week's podcast. Tom Moore talks about the Bryant job.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Tim O'Shea coached his last game at Bryant yesterday losing at Fairleigh Dickinson Univ 87-83. His team failed to qualify for the NEC Tournament (just top 8 seeds in 10 member league) and finished 3-28 with an RPI as of today at #339.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Tim got hurt by having two of his best players from last year transfer up to bigger programs....they could have won enough games to get in the top 6 of that conference.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have heard that O'Shea is very well liked at Bryant by the administration. That is part of the reason he was allowed to announce his retirement and was not unceremoniously dumped. Do not be surprised if Bryant found him another role as that might have been part of the exit negotiation.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/rothst ... -the-room/

Rothstein says Hurley is in a position to be selective for his next job. While on the one hand, that's good that Rothstein thinks Hurley can hold out for the best job and not just go for the money and a s-show of a rebuild, I do wish these media people would stop trying to pimp coaches to higher programs. Let's just hope that this program is Hurley's next job for several years to come. He can really have a tremendous legacy here if he keeps it rolling!
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

steviep123 wrote:https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/rothst ... -the-room/

Rothstein says Hurley is in a position to be selective for his next job. While on the one hand, that's good that Rothstein thinks Hurley can hold out for the best job and not just go for the money and a s-show of a rebuild, I do wish these media people would stop trying to pimp coaches to higher programs. Let's just hope that this program is Hurley's next job for several years to come. He can really have a tremendous legacy here if he keeps it rolling!
that stuff worries me less and less.

Dan has spent his entire life trying to escape other people's legacies...whether his dad in NJ, or being in Bobby's shadow as a player. The last thing I could see him doing is going somewhere else to go and coach in the shadow of yet another legacy. He's spent his basketball life trying to build his own legacy, I dont see that changing now.

He also has to see how other programs arent a family, but are a business.

- UConn is running a former player out of town only 3 years after winning a national championship because he's gonna miss the tourney with a team of freshmen and sophomores.

- the natives are restless in Indiana with Archie and his 1st season isnt even done yet

- The pitchforks are being sharpened in Texas with Shaka and its only been 2 seasons.
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Smart caught fire with that Final Four appearance. He inherited the scorers on that team. Never recruited more of those types.

Didn't they come from the play-in game?

The key is and always will be scoring. You score. The other team has to keep up. Puts pressure on them. Suddenly your defense looks a lot tougher.

More often than not these glimpses of national success don't lead to more. Just hype. The coaches get caught up in their own star. They take on programs that want A+ success and maybe they never really had it.

Texas wants top basketball because they have lots of $$$, a big state, and expect that to take care of everything. It almost never saves their perennially under achieving football program and wont lead to any unprecedented success with its basketball program.

Even getting Durant there. I think with what people know about KD now, its more obvious that he would choose to go to Texas from the DMV. Considering he jumped ship to Golden State and is in love with trendy tech culture. He ignored loyalty in going to Texas and did it again in the NBA.

All this to say that his time there isn't ever going to become a trend in top talent. Not like Michael Jordan and UNC (in that kids have been going to UNC because MJ went there for the past 30 years).
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

with Maryland's loss it begins...

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Next season, Dan’s going to be coaching at Maryland, Connecticut, Rhode Island, maybe Georgia, Seton Hall...

He’s going to be exhausted.
9 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:Next season, Dan’s going to be coaching at Maryland, Connecticut, Rhode Island, maybe Georgia, Seton Hall...

He’s going to be exhausted.
Maybe PC too?
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Don't forget Pittsburgh! I hope Maryland pays for the charters to get him back to Rhody for game day
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Oh, yeah. Definitely Pitt, too. Can’t believe I forgot them.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Krzyzewski's $8.98M tops list of highest-paid coaches in college hoops

https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1495432 Krzyzewski's $8.98M tops list of highest-paid coaches in college hoops
Last edited by KevanBoyles 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Terps hoops.....

meh
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If Dan takes an ACC job....then Bobby doesn't end up at Duke.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So Creighton only pays McDermott $1.3 million? Isn't Dan at about $1.2 million now?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Not all the salaries, like Creighton’s, have bonuses listed, but I think McDermott’s pay is relatively lower than the other good BE coaches.

I think I’m also missing why the list is called 2018 NCAAB Tournament Coaches’ Pay.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan's base is only 350K.....with bonuses and other compensation it's about 1.1 million.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Chris Holtmann Ohio state 7.14 M per season !!!!
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Paul Lusk done at Missouri State. Larry Hunter resigns from Western Carolina. Dave Simmons out at McNeese State.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

thatRamBand wrote:
Maine is really tough job for anyone to succeed at. Dr Giannini is the only coach that I can think of that left there for a better job.

Goes to show you that you need to use care when accepting a coaching job. it is probably not a wise move to take a position at a school that is perennially bad. They are usually bad for many reasons beyond just the coach.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......Bryant......Bob Walsh......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

section(105) wrote:.......Bryant......Bob Walsh......

Walsh had a worse record at Maine than O'Shea at Bryant. Can't see Bryant going there. Walsh is going to need a few seasons as an assistant at a higher profile school to get the stink off from his time in Orono. Probably not in line for a head job for several years.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Marist coach Mike Maker is out.

Not a bad job for a lower profile school. Nice campus in a beautiful spot on the Hudson. Decent little 3,200 seat gym. Not far from NYC for recruiting.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote:Marist coach Mike Maker is out.

Not a bad job for a lower profile school. Nice campus in a beautiful spot on the Hudson. Decent little 3,200 seat gym. Not far from NYC for recruiting.
........Well.....I would not exactly refer to the City of Poughkeepsie, surrounding the nice campus as a beautiful spot.....the northern Hyde Park area sure......yes, gym decent......although they have recently dropped off, the women’s program usually would draw more fans and was the higher profile program under their local successful current coach......men’s program is a revolving door of failed coaches since the termination of former coach Dave Magarity whom was let go to bring the program to the next level.....the Dunken Dutchmean is not walking through the door.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

section(105) wrote:
RF1 wrote:Marist coach Mike Maker is out.

........Well.....I would not exactly refer to the City of Poughkeepsie, surrounding the nice campus as a beautiful spot.....the northern Hyde Park area sure......yes, gym decent......although they have recently dropped off, the women’s program usually would draw more fans and was the higher profile program under their local successful current coach......men’s program is a revolving door of failed coaches since the termination of former coach Dave Magarity whom was let go to bring the program to the next level.....the Dunken Dutchmean is not walking through the door.......
Actually they missed out on Smitts 7'1 son Derrick went to VALPARAISO.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hang Time's very own Reggie Theus gets let go at CAL State-Northridge after compiling a 53-105 record in five seasons as head coach.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Man it seems like there are a lot of HC openings already.....more than usual?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote:Hang Time's very own Reggie Theus gets let go at CAL State-Northridge after compiling a 53-105 record in five seasons as head coach.
Reggie Theus....what a blast from the past name...we were living in FL at the time they started, he was one of the original Orlando Magic...Nick Anderson...Scott Skiles....not a lot of W's, but fun to watch....coached by St Joe's own Matt Guokas...
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ACC money is all well and good, but who's gonna want to walk into that dumpster fire?

(Also, if you wanted to know what an 0-19 coach's face should look like, that pic sums it up nicely.)
3 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Stallings was a godawful hire. It wasn't just second-guessed by everybody, it was first-guessed by everybody. Maybe Duquesne led by Dambrot can step up and run that city!
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

LaSalle on the clock?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

sf2010 wrote:Stallings was a godawful hire. It wasn't just second-guessed by everybody, it was first-guessed by everybody. Maybe Duquesne led by Dambrot can step up and run that city!

https://deadspin.com/who-killed-pitt-ba ... 1823270654
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:LaSalle on the clock?
doubt it with the overall financial situation the school is facing
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

LaSalle may or may not be on the clock, but their entire BB program may be headed to the MAAC.

That coach and players are in limbo land......recruiting there could be tough right now. Even tougher than usual I mean.

If they go take Fordham with them....or in Fordham's case, to the Patriot League where they belong.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......Pitt.....David Cox......no HC experience at D-1?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Pitt will want a name coach imo.......nothing against David......
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:LaSalle on the clock?
Have not followed the situation at Lasalle but think they would be making a big mistake if they are thinking of firing Giannini. Lasalle is a brutally tough job no fan support . The guy took them to a sweet sixteen for crying out loud.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What coach would want to take that job with the possibility of moving down to a lower conference?

He stays until they decide imo. If they do move down then Giannini will move on.....
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......where does a Jim Carr fit, if anywhere, in this carousel?......where is he now, high school coach.....out of the biz ?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

^ sad...but a good article...if for no other reason than to get another chance to see "SEND IT IN, JEROME!" I can't say I remember it like it was yesterday, but it sure doesn't seem like it was 30 years ago....
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Amazing how such a terrible job Stallings did at Pitt. He was respectable at Vandy but fell on his face at Pitt

Is his careeer done after this ??
0 x