The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by reef »

Bye bye Thad bye bye
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote:Bye bye Thad bye bye

Actually it is GOODBYE COLUMBUS.

(Movie name reference for those that are confused)
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Archie Miller's dream job was Ohio State. If he had only stayed put for a couple of more months...............
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He could still go there, but it would likely be a mess contract wise......contracts nowadays are made to be broken.

He won't, though.

If he had stayed at Dayton and this happened, he would have probably jumped and left Dayton in a big rebuild......
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am sure he will be ok at Indiana
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

eli#10 wrote:Archie Miller's dream job was Ohio State. If he had only stayed put for a couple of more months...............
If it seems it is open knowledge on KB then it is likely open knowledge to those at OSU who make choices. If they wanted Miller then this could be to do it or it could be they didn't want Miller.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

They could go back to Xavier and look at Chris Mack
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes I think Mack will be a top candidate
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Chris Mack is one of my random favorite coaches to root for. This tweet is funny-

If he ever wants to leave, though, that Xavier hc position is a great one.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:Chris Mack is one of my random favorite coaches to root for. This tweet is funny-

If he ever wants to leave, though, that Xavier hc position is a great one.
Once again, does Dan like Ohio?
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If they target anyone from the Big East, Holtmann's a better option.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Greg McDermott has reportedly been offered the job at Ohio State. If he takes it, we'll all fondly remember his last game as a Big East coach. Wonder what that would mean for Preston? June's a tough month to be job hunting in college basketball.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hopefully PM will go with him to Ohio State, but of course there's a chance that he gets the Creighton HC position.....if so, then there's almost no chance he will end up here as our HC someday......
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

best bit of comedy from this is a Friars fan saying why would Cooley leave PC for a mediocre program like OSU....

The same OSU that since 2010 has 6 appearances...2 Sweet 16s...1 Elite 8...1 Final 4...never change friuhz, never change
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

For the love of God can someone tell me why Preston is the destined successor for the head coaching position here? For everyone that loves the "think big" punchline, I feel like people have a relationship with/a knowledge of his existence - and that means he should be our coach.

Don't even bother with a committee, or focus on the coach we have right now, we got our next guy because he played here 20 years ago! I wonder what Jon Clark or Marcel Momplasier are doing? What about David Arigababu? Is Mauricio Gay interested? Mike Anderson is coaching high school - maybe he'll be good? THERE IS A WORLD OF BASKETBALL THAT EXISTS OUTSIDE OF KINGSTON AND NEW ENGLAND WHERE OTHER COACHES AND PLAYERS ARE.

Everyone is like an abused animal. We have a great coach right now. Doesn't look like he's going anywhere for at least another 2 years. In that 2 years the entire landscape of college basketball could change again. He could haul off another phenomenal recruiting class, and decide to stay and continue to win.

Seriously every god damn thread the second someone talks about anything coaching related Preston to URI comes up. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP.

I hate the offseason. Back to hibernation.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Love everything but the last line
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Blue Man wrote:For the love of God can someone tell me why Preston is the destined successor for the head coaching position here? For everyone that loves the "think big" punchline, I feel like people have a relationship with/a knowledge of his existence - and that means he should be our coach.

Don't even bother with a committee, or focus on the coach we have right now, we got our next guy because he played here 20 years ago! I wonder what Jon Clark or Marcel Momplasier are doing? What about David Arigababu? Is Mauricio Gay interested? Mike Anderson is coaching high school - maybe he'll be good? THERE IS A WORLD OF BASKETBALL THAT EXISTS OUTSIDE OF KINGSTON AND NEW ENGLAND WHERE OTHER COACHES AND PLAYERS ARE.

Everyone is like an abused animal. We have a great coach right now. Doesn't look like he's going anywhere for at least another 2 years. In that 2 years the entire landscape of college basketball could change again. He could haul off another phenomenal recruiting class, and decide to stay and continue to win.

Seriously every god damn thread the second someone talks about anything coaching related Preston to URI comes up. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP.

C'mon, man. If I can be here, you can be here :)
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote:For the love of God can someone tell me why Preston is the destined successor for the head coaching position here? For everyone that loves the "think big" punchline, I feel like people have a relationship with/a knowledge of his existence - and that means he should be our coach.

wait, so bringing URI up in convos about one of the hottest assistant coaches and one of the top 'future head coach' prospects in college ball is not thinking big?

What happens to Preston if McD jumps to OSU is a legit conversation point. In fact, I wouldnt hesitate to dump ANY of our current assistants to get Preston back here. Sorry, but he's better than our current assistant coaches lineup.

edit: also drop the facetious straw man arguments by bringing up guys like Momplaisir and Clark.

Last time I checked neither were key pieces to the greatest run in school history. The 98 team was driven by the 3 headed guard monster of Mobley, Wheeler and Murphy.

FYI...Preston had 1,218 career points, Marcel and Clark combined had 739.

Additionally, there is no speculation about what he could do here...EC, Hass, Terrell and Garrett coming here was Preston's recruiting.

He is a proven commodity, its not just "oh, he played here lets get him" like you want to paint it as.
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
---
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I have no idea if Preston will ever be a good head coach. Comparing him to Jon Clark and Marcel Momplasier? First of all, Preston was a very good player here. Those other guys? Does that mean he'll be a good head coach? Absolutely not. But he is a good assistant coach and a good recruiter. I think we do know that. I'm not sure where Mauricio Gay's coaching career stands at the moment. I think we have to say that Preston could be considered to be a future head coach...somewhere. I think he'd have to be hired at a lower level first. Then we'd have a better idea of what kind of coach he is. But to totally dismiss the possibility that he could be here someday is wrong. To compare his career to Clark, Momplasier, Gay, etc., is wrong.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I like Preston. I like ARD. I feel like the front court has had a night and day difference since hiring ARD. Which is why I am confident someone will step up outside of Cyril and Cyril will become a star for us.

Great time to be a URI basketball fan. ALSO a great time to be the head coach at URI.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Creighton has a top 20 recruiting class coming in, so I'd think McDermott would be happy to take Preston with him. I think Creighton would want someone with head coaching experience. Maybe Crean.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

McDermott staying at Creighton

The tweet below this is interesting. He retweeted something about Swider. I didn't think coaches were allowed to do something like that when it comes to recruiting
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Love the sniping at Preston Murphy.
For anyone putting him down, I say, FUCK YOU.
Comparing him to bench players shows a total lack of knowledge.
Preston played in 3 NCAAs, and learned under some pretty good coaches.
He is a proven commodity when it comes to recruiting.
I know for a fact, that Thorr and others have a much higher
opinion of Preston than some clowns on this board.

Also, in what universe is Chris Holtmann a better choice for a coach than Chris Mack?
Holtmann, 4 years, 3 NCAAs, one Sweet 16.
Chris Mack,8 years, 7 NCAAs, 2 Sweet 16's and an Elite 8.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote:
Also, in what universe is Chris Holtmann a better choice for a coach than Chris Mack?
Holtmann, 4 years, 3 NCAAs, one Sweet 16.
Chris Mack,8 years, 7 NCAAs, 2 Sweet 16's and an Elite 8.
If you're referring to my comment, not in my universe.

My comment was comparing Cooley to Holtmann, which came after Mack said he wasn't interested or leaving.

Regardless, McDermott said no thanks. How are you going to fire a coach in June and not have a solid back-up plan?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If coach Cox were to leave any time soon, if I were URI I would jump at the chance to bring back Preston as Associate HC......and pay the man.

Having said that, I think Cox is a very good coach who has been attracting interest....but recruiting would be raised to another level with PM.....

Anybody who says our recruiting hasn't been hurt at least somewhat since he left are fooling themselves big time.

Especially if we don't get what we need for 2018-19.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The Akele/Thompson class looks awful at this time.
1 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

15, they are role players....we need impact players....a repeat of that type of class for 2018-19, and things aren't looking so hot in a couple of years.

Imo Dan and staff's recruiting skills will ultimately be judged by this class.....
1 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Rhody15 wrote:The Akele/Thompson class looks awful at this time.
I disagree....both have been victims of just having better players ahead of them. Both are talented and I expect continued improvement. With the limited minutes it's hard to judge them overall yet.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I don't know about anyone else, but I've seen enough of Akele for the rest of my life. Not athletic, not strong, can't really rebound or dribble or score, or even catch a pass (his drop at the top of the key against Oregon still pisses me off.)
I will agree on Thompson though, he's talented, just has better players in front of him.
Last edited by Rhody15 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Agree. Akele is not a physical player, and other than shooting
wide open shots. really shows little.
Thompson is talented and likely could play elsewhere, but
chose to stay.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Back to the Coaching Carousel 2017 Subject,

Now Butler will be looking for a new Head Coach - and here we go again :lol: :lol:

Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Thompson is good.

Akele kills me.

Both players have played good minutes though. As much as many of us malign Akele, he has been on the floor for a team winning games.

So the class isn't that bad.

I still think Thompson is a great basketball player and glue/leader type you need. I put him among our best defenders. He does do something better than each of our top 3 wings. He jumps/rebounds better than Terrell. He plays defense better than EC. He shoots the ball better than Stan.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Thompson is good.

Akele kills me.

Both players have played good minutes though. As much as many of us malign Akele, he has been on the floor for a team winning games.

So the class isn't that bad.

I still think Thompson is a great basketball player and glue/leader type you need. I put him among our best defenders. He does do something better than each of our top 3 wings. He jumps/rebounds better than Terrell. He plays defense better than EC. He shoots the ball better than Stan.
for me, Thompson is the new TJ Buchanan (mean this as a compliment).

tough, hard nosed, dirty work type of player that every team needs. Does the little things, contributes in all aspects, brings toughness and hustle.

I really think he steps into the leadership role that Hassan held. Be the heart and glue guy
1 x
---
---
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Some of the candidates for huge now vacant Butler He'd Coach position.
Crazy to have such high profile jobs changing this time of year as the Coaching Carousel continues.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... at-butler/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Even the mighty Big East is subject to poaching when it comes to coaches......other than possibly Villanova, they are all steppingstone jobs just like in the A10.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

It's only mighty on this message board.
Last edited by Seawrightspostgame 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:It's only mighty on this message board.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

As for P Murph I absolutely think he could be the head coach here someday maybe 5 to 7 years down the road

I would like to her him get a head job first at a different school to get some experience and prove himself
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:It's only mighty on this message board.
The BE averages over 5 tournament teams per season and is statistically in the top 3 or 4 conferences in the country. This message board did that? My god, with that kind of power, why are we wasting it on basketball? Other than not liking it, I'm not sure one can argue that the BE is not a really good basketball conference right now. There are also some traditional power 5 jobs that coaches would leave to take another one.

Butler's in an interesting spot right now. They're only a few years removed from being in the Horizon but have managed three straight tournament appearances. Holtmann did well after the Brandon Miller mess, but the uncertainty of their big recruiting class is key.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Mighty is a word reserved for Notre Dame football. SEC football is mighty. I would say the ACC is what is mighty in college basketball. B10 if that is your flavor. The mighty Kansas Jayhawks would work. Things like that.

Big East? Please. It's a weird league still finding itself buoyed by Villanova and big dollars.

Just because we are URI and in a poor man's big east(as presently constituted) doesn't mean we have to act like the Big East is the ACC.

The league is only 4 years old. Not enough tape to know what the Big East actually is in terms of a basketball league.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Now that Hopkins left Syracuse, McDermott is the new coach in waiting. It can be a top 10 job again. ACC, tremendous facilities and major renovation coming to the dome.
Butler is hardly a stepping stone job.
If Butler decides to hire externally, Dan Hurley will be on their short list. This is not a shot at URI, but a compliment to Dan.
I don't understand the happiness over Matta being fired. Health problems played a major role.
Rod, not that you need my support, but your comments regarding Preston are 100% spot on.
Last edited by Cameron_Dollar 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I have no worries about DH leaving here for Butler
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Butler is s good job.

It is D1 in Indiana and has battled for the national title recently.

I think DH would want more tho but who knows?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

I didn't say he would take it but he will be someone to which they will request permission to speak.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote:I have no worries about DH leaving here for Butler

One of the reasons that the Butler coach left is they don't pay well. I have seen reports that the Bulldogs coach was being paid a couple of 100k more than Hurley. You don't gamble things for that. Furthermore, at this pint with all the change in the college sports landscape, i think a coach like Hurley may want to leapfrog the new Big East and go directly to a P5 school with football that has many resources and a longterm big revenue forecast.
2 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

RF1 wrote:
reef wrote:I have no worries about DH leaving here for Butler

One of the reasons that the Butler coach left is they don't pay well. I have seen reports that the Bulldogs coach was being paid a couple of 100k more than Hurley. You don't gamble things for that. Furthermore, at this pint with all the change in the college sports landscape, i think a coach like Hurley may want to leapfrog the new Big East and go directly to a P5 school with football that has many resources and a longterm big revenue forecast.

The new contract Holtman signed averaged out to $2 million per year for eight years. Regardless, I don't think Hurley is in a hurry to leave, and if he does, I suspect he's would stay on the East coast, which limits this options. I wouldn't be surprised if he's at Rhode Island five years from now, as long as the school continues its commitment to the program.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

There are a few jobs when they come up worry me like Cuse Seton Hall UConn to name a few not Butler
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Hes not an insider for UConn/Cuse. I think Seton Hall might be a hurdle, but if he sticks a few more years all of the programs from DC to Maine will have had the job on the market. Except for maybe Maryland/UVA. But those schools are seemingly set for years to come.

Maybe DH makes a Final Four and takes over the Knicks.
0 x