The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by ramster »

and here we go

The other job currently open is South Florida (3), which fired Orlando Antigua earlier this year after a staggering combination of on-court ineptitude and off-court academic issues. This American Athletic Conference underachiever program continues to intrigue coaches, and could draw interest from some successful guys – if the academic fraud allegations don’t become part of potentially major NCAA sanctions. It wouldn’t be a shock to see Kevin Willard of Seton Hall take a run at USF after seven seasons with the Pirates. That in turn would give the Hall the chance to try and lure Rhode Island’s Danny Hurley back home to north New Jersey

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/forde ... 33469.html
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Question...will this year's carousel talk bring more:
A). Anticipation
B). Hand-wringing
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

While this is posted, it will be interesting to see if Archie stays at Dayton.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Hurley, Wade and Miller all bail would be a very different A10 next season!

Would those current strong programs be able to reload or would the other Rams, Bonnie's and others have their chance to move up?

Seton Hall would be a great landing pad for DH.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Putting Hurley in the same "hot" coach category with Archie Miller and Will Wade might be a thing of the past. Until he actually accomplishes something of note. Cooley is mentioned for these prestigious jobs and should be. Even Bobby Hurley, if he can turn his program at ASU into a winner as he did in Buffalo. I think the luster has come off Dan's last name and the " up and coming tag" nationally. At least for the time being, until he can do something to change that.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... twitter_si
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The luster has come off of Hurley's name on this board. It is probably more or less the same as it ever was elsewhere, especially in the NY/NJ metro where there is a ton of brand equity built up. Honestly, someone outside of Rhode Island would look at this year and say its the best year we've had in almost two decades and, while I'd debate that, you can certainly see how they'd make that case.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Imagine if they could put together a package with his father is an assistant coach?

I think if Dan can scratch out 20 wins he's back in business
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

hrstrat57 wrote:Imagine if they could put together a package with his father is an assistant coach?

Just asking, who be "they"?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

hrstrat57 wrote:Imagine if they could put together a package with his father is an assistant coach?

section(105) wrote:

Just asking, who be "they"?
Sorry 105 was using Siri to type never good.

They is Pirates.....also just read a post here indicating that St Anthony HS is going under which would make Bob SR "avail"
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote:The luster has come off of Hurley's name on this board. It is probably more or less the same as it ever was elsewhere, especially in the NY/NJ metro where there is a ton of brand equity built up. Honestly, someone outside of Rhode Island would look at this year and say its the best year we've had in almost two decades and, while I'd debate that, you can certainly see how they'd make that case.

Is that right where? St Johns? Mullin is recruiting very well and in his early stages. Rutgers? I think if you talk to anyone there, they are very happy thus far with Pikeill. Seton Hall? OK, believe that if you will. Fordham? They just beat us. Manhattan? Or maybe he's going to Syracuse when it comes open?

Could he get a job elsewhere? Of course. Is he going big time at this stage? No period. Coaches don't go into power 5 jobs by getting to NIT and finishing 4th in the A 10. A very weak A 10 at that. If he makes a run in the final few games, wins A 10 tourney, makes NCAAs, then things may change again. WIns a game in the tourney, sure. But until that happens, don't lose sleep at night over Danny going to the ACC. This team was projected in top 25. This team was projected to win A 10 or at the very least be right there with Dayton and VCU. Hasn't happened. Despite all the raves from guys like Rothstein, Zagoria and Dan's boys here, this season is viewed as a disappointment. Even those guys who have ultimate respect for his legendary father and brother, are not raving as they did 3 years ago or they did in the beginning of the season. Let him go on a run and do something this year and that all may or will change everything. But until then, Dan , let's just say is off the national stage. I would love to see him make that run , make this a great season and and have to read posts here in April about rumors of him going elsewhere because of his great season. But until that happens, sleep tight tonight.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

1. Seton Hall to USF seems like a massive downgrade
2. What has Dan done to warrant Seton Hall wanting him?
3. What has Dan done to make us dissapointed if he does leave?
0 x
Go Rhody
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

The outside of RI media reminds me of whenever we'd
be on TV during CFL's tenure.
The announcers would gush throughout the broadcast, what a wonderful
coach he was, and rattle off all his COY awards.
Many who saw his work here, felt otherwise.
Dan has his media cheerleaders, who see things at a distance.
To say this is our best year in two decades is absurd.
It's pretty similar than at least a handful of others.
If there's a "Dan might be leaving for _____" after this season,
there won't be the same reaction as other times.
I hope the administration doesn't cave in, too.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

giovanni wrote:
TruePoint wrote:The luster has come off of Hurley's name on this board. It is probably more or less the same as it ever was elsewhere, especially in the NY/NJ metro where there is a ton of brand equity built up. Honestly, someone outside of Rhode Island would look at this year and say its the best year we've had in almost two decades and, while I'd debate that, you can certainly see how they'd make that case.

Is that right where? St Johns? Mullin is recruiting very well and in his early stages. Rutgers? I think if you talk to anyone there, they are very happy thus far with Pikeill. Seton Hall? OK, believe that if you will. Fordham? They just beat us. Manhattan? Or maybe he's going to Syracuse when it comes open?

Could he get a job elsewhere? Of course. Is he going big time at this stage? No period. Coaches don't go into power 5 jobs by getting to NIT and finishing 4th in the A 10. A very weak A 10 at that. If he makes a run in the final few games, wins A 10 tourney, makes NCAAs, then things may change again. WIns a game in the tourney, sure. But until that happens, don't lose sleep at night over Danny going to the ACC. This team was projected in top 25. This team was projected to win A 10 or at the very least be right there with Dayton and VCU. Hasn't happened. Despite all the raves from guys like Rothstein, Zagoria and Dan's boys here, this season is viewed as a disappointment. Even those guys who have ultimate respect for his legendary father and brother, are not raving as they did 3 years ago or they did in the beginning of the season. Let him go on a run and do something this year and that all may or will change everything. But until then, Dan , let's just say is off the national stage. I would love to see him make that run , make this a great season and and have to read posts here in April about rumors of him going elsewhere because of his great season. But until that happens, sleep tight tonight.
Dan was never going to be a candidate for any job other than the Johns, Rutgers and Seton Hall jobs before this year, and all I'm saying is that if any of those jobs were to open after this year he would be just as much of a factor for them as he was before this year. I'm not predicting any of them will open, I'm not predicting he would ultimately be offered the job if one of them did open, and I'm not saying it would be worth losing sleep over if one of the jobs did open, they offered him, and he took it.

All I am saying is that this year has not done anything that would really change the likelihood of him getting another job offer for better or for worse. He'd still be an easy sell to a specific set of teams and fan bases within a certain geographic area and a much harder sell to other teams and fan bases.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If he can get a better job elsewhere, good luck to him. After this season in Kingston, I no longer feel highly confident that he is the person to get us to the NCAA level.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rodfromcranston wrote:The outside of RI media reminds me of whenever we'd
Is it absurd? What year since 1999 did we spend this much time ranked and beat a top 25 team? We've underachieved, but this is the most accomplished team since 1999.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

Seton Hall AD is originally from RI. Has immediate family that live in SK who go to URI games. Not sure if he's ever kept tabs on what Dan has done here and no way of knowing he/Seton Hall would be interested in Dan at this time but there is a round about connection. Unfortunately, without our athletic endowment going way up or this State suddenly wanting to give more money to URI , Rhody will remain marginal in sports as a whole at best. Of course there will always be the occasional flashes of success in soccer, baseball and Track & Field but basketball & obviously football will always make us want to pull our hair out.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Is it absurd? What year since 1999 did we spend this much time ranked and beat a top 25 team? We've underachieved, but this is the most accomplished team since 1999.
In 2008 we were ranked just as long.
Didn't beat any ranked teams though.
The 08 and 10 teams beat a lot of power 5 schools and in 2010 we made the final four of the NIT.
As far as publicity early on it's been the most successful.
But since the first four games this year, we've been very medicocre compared to the the entirety of the 07/08 and 09/10 seasons.
In those years we thought we were good for over half the year as opposed to just a few weeks.
This years results aren't all that much more different than 2 years ago.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Please god let some AD be dumb enough to get URI out from under this albatross of a contract.
Last edited by STC 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

In 2008, we were ranked IN SEASON, based on the accomplishments of
the team.
This year, we were ranked pre-season and a few week after, based
mainly on pre-season hype.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

All I said is that someone could say it and I don't think it is obviously wrong. I may not agree - I think the 08-09 team would beat this team if they played each other. But you could make a plausible argument the other way.
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

GansettRam74 wrote:Seton Hall AD is originally from RI. Has immediate family that live in SK who go to URI games. Not sure if he's ever kept tabs on what Dan has done here and no way of knowing he/Seton Hall would be interested in Dan at this time but there is a round about connection. Unfortunately, without our athletic endowment going way up or this State suddenly wanting to give more money to URI , Rhody will remain marginal in sports as a whole at best. Of course there will always be the occasional flashes of success in soccer, baseball and Track & Field but basketball & obviously football will always make us want to pull our hair out.
Dan , being an alumni at SH and his legendary name in NJ is a natural connection. Sometimes you see these types of connections come to fruition, but overall, you actually have to achieve something much better to move on up. Also obviously depends on who shows interest in a position when it opens up. Most schools have illusions of grandeur when they are looking for a coach, only to be let down by the people actually interested in a particular job. More and more, you are seeing coaches not very interested in certain jobs, regardless of money. I definitely question Dan's "resume" for a a job at a higher level, but I do no underestimate his name power or connections. Or his fathers connections. Dan is not as beloved as many here believe. A lot of what is NOT said is in respect to his father and brother. Dan has raised other concerns within the coaching community believe it or not. Not people that read this board, where many seem to believe he can walk on water. With that being said, Calipari and Pitino are not liked by many and that has not interfered with their success.

If somehow Dan did land in NY/NJ area, I would really like to see how he handles the media and fans in the metropolitan area. If he struggles with supposedly reading this board and anyone questioning anything he does, in NY he wouldn't be having coffee with the coach on WHJJ and have hard nosed guys like Kevie Mac, Bill Reynolds and Stevie McDonald questioning him. In the NY/NJ area, you typically don't get the love fest from many like here in Kingston. They actually have great expectations there and when that don't happen, people tend to speak up and not let it go unnoticed.

BTW, did Kevin Willard quit or something?
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Is this serious? Ranked? For as long? What an enjoyable run that was. Move over Kentucky. Beat a top 25 team, yeah. A pretty good one at that. ONE win. But you act like we beat Duke or Kentucky. Does that erase losses at home to LaSalle and Fordham? Boy, it sounds with some that this Cincinnati win is going to live forever and carry Dan right to Springfield. Don't forget the espn instant classic win vs Nebraska. Not to mention, when we beat Cincinnati, we were ranked also. We were basically a pick em in Vegas, if not favored. So that was something incredible I guess, instead of something most of us and many others expected.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

giovanni wrote: Is this serious? Ranked? For as long? What an enjoyable run that was. Move over Kentucky. Beat a top 25 team, yeah. A pretty good one at that. ONE win. But you act like we beat Duke or Kentucky. Does that erase losses at home to LaSalle and Fordham? Boy, it sounds with some that this Cincinnati win is going to live forever and carry Dan right to Springfield. Don't forget the espn instant classic win vs Nebraska. Not to mention, when we beat Cincinnati, we were ranked also. We were basically a pick em in Vegas, if not favored. So that was something incredible I guess, instead of something most of us and many others expected.
This is why it's hard to have good discussions. What is the point of coming with this indignant, offended, flaming hot take in which you completely mischaracterize what the other person is saying.

He didn't say move over Kentucky. He didn't say Dan was going to the hall of fame. He said hey this team may possibly be marginally better than the 18 other teams that disappointed and infuriated us while also not accomplishing anything of significance. That isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

The original point that I made is some NY basketball writer could look at our record and computer numbers this year, jump on the old google machine and pull up our record and computer numbers since Harrick left and determine this was our best team. It isn't even like I am endorsing that view, and it definitely isn't like I'm forgetting about the lovable Ram team during that span of years that overachieved and gutted out tough wins when everything was on the line and gave us a thrilling ride to the Sweet 16. That team doesn't exist. So don't act like saying this underachieving and forgettable team is better than some other underachieving and forgettable teams is some kind of sacrelige.
6 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint pretty much nailed it. I even said this team underachieved. But we're not comparing them to Kentucky, we're comparing them to teams that didn't make the tournament, teams that never beat a top 25 team, and had worse losses then the ones we had this year. You know, all the stuff you guys have been complaining about for years that all of a sudden isn't an issue seeing as you want to have a witch hunt against Dan. There's enough to complain about, let's be accurate in our complaints instead of making stuff up.

People have brought up the 2008 team. They lost 8 of their last 10. They lost 80% of their games down the stretch when it mattered. Yeah, they started the year by beating average to crap teams and used that gaudy start to get a ranking. Then they shit themselves down the stretch. Their accomplishments were no better than this year's team.
5 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote:TruePoint pretty much nailed it. I even said this team underachieved. But we're not comparing them to Kentucky, we're comparing them to teams that didn't make the tournament, teams that never beat a top 25 team, and had worse losses then the ones we had this year. You know, all the stuff you guys have been complaining about for years that all of a sudden isn't an issue seeing as you want to have a witch hunt against Dan. There's enough to complain about, let's be accurate in our complaints instead of making stuff up.

People have brought up the 2008 team. They lost 8 of their last 10. They lost 80% of their games down the stretch when it mattered. Yeah, they started the year by beating average to crap teams and used that gaudy start to get a ranking. Then they shit themselves down the stretch. Their accomplishments were no better than this year's team.
Nope worse, IMO way worse......

That team quit on their coach.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
This made me want to throw up for many different reasons. A few weeks in the AP top 25 mean absolutely nothing. Beating one in November means absolutely nothing. He'll be mentioned until the end of time if one of the tri-state schools open up. No other school will try to pry him away until he does something worth of note. Take a team to the dance, etc. He's 0-6 on the verge of 0-7 as a coach. Especially now that the bloom is off his recruiting rose, so to speak. He never has established the NJ pipeline like we all hoped and the years since Pres and Bobby left have been gross to mediocre, recruiting wise depending on what you value.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

07-10 URI was very good. Like really good on the court despite the behind the scenes problems. Then just before '07 Dawan Robinson was better than anyone we have right now.

Also, prestigious jobs? Seton Hall and South Florida? Not even close.

Just think at this present moment URI can't go wrong letting Dan leave for greener pastures or if he stays. He has shown some good stuff this year in terms of growth. He's also not perfect. Im still hopeful for this year's results.

Too many people for my liking have jumped off the hopeful ship. All of a sudden URI faithful are only positive when we are front running? Cheering for a URI team like we have right now is just par for the course this century.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
giovanni
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote:
giovanni wrote: Is this serious? Ranked? For as long? What an enjoyable run that was. Move over Kentucky. Beat a top 25 team, yeah. A pretty good one at that. ONE win. But you act like we beat Duke or Kentucky. Does that erase losses at home to LaSalle and Fordham? Boy, it sounds with some that this Cincinnati win is going to live forever and carry Dan right to Springfield. Don't forget the espn instant classic win vs Nebraska. Not to mention, when we beat Cincinnati, we were ranked also. We were basically a pick em in Vegas, if not favored. So that was something incredible I guess, instead of something most of us and many others expected.
This is why it's hard to have good discussions. What is the point of coming with this indignant, offended, flaming hot take in which you completely mischaracterize what the other person is saying.

He didn't say move over Kentucky. He didn't say Dan was going to the hall of fame. He said hey this team may possibly be marginally better than the 18 other teams that disappointed and infuriated us while also not accomplishing anything of significance. That isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

The original point that I made is some NY basketball writer could look at our record and computer numbers this year, jump on the old google machine and pull up our record and computer numbers since Harrick left and determine this was our best team. It isn't even like I am endorsing that view, and it definitely isn't like I'm forgetting about the lovable Ram team during that span of years that overachieved and gutted out tough wins when everything was on the line and gave us a thrilling ride to the Sweet 16. That team doesn't exist. So don't act like saying this underachieving and forgettable team is better than some other underachieving and forgettable teams is some kind of sacrelige.

Its hard to have good discussions with anyone who fails to have an iota of reality or perception of the game. There is no offense or indigence, simply a more realistic perspective. That's actually comical from "everything is the greatest crew". No, clearly there was no KY or Springfield reference by anyone. This is called exaggeration/sarcasm to attempt to get a point across. I understand it's unfortunate for many to have only seen the Baron/ Hurley eras and A 10 as the end all and the standard for all judgement on anything basketball. I suggest turning on a tv or reading something. George Mason, Richmond and even Dayton is not everything in basketball. And URI with Baron is not the only URI programs there has ever been in RI or Kingston. No one has given any concrete evidence that this team , or any Hurley teams being better than Baron's best teams. All I read is, I know, because I know a booster, I make copies in a low level D 1 athletic office, I was in the band, I played in intramurals , I talked to Danny , he told me so.
It basically comes down to expectations. Let's use KY in theis sense. Yes we all would love to be that type of program, but that is not realistic. But that does not mean that we can take the perspective of , " we are doing great or we could be worse". Honestly. No one achieves great things by acceptance of mediocrity. Is that mean or offensive to the players, coach and athletic office? Sorry
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint started this idea by saying that you could make an argument this is the best year we've had in almost two decades. I would argue that literally only URI teams since 1999-2000 are relevant to this conversation. Only the Baron/Hurley eras (we can ignore Jerry D on this one) are relevant for this side discussion. What other schools are doing and what URI did previously is irrelevant to a discussion about which season since 1999-2000 is the best URI season.

Also I pointed out we've done something this year we never did under Baron, which is beat a ranked team. This is an objective fact, or concrete evidence if you will. We've also been ranked as long or longer than any Baron's teams. Those are two measurements that show this year is in fact better than anything we've had since 1999-2000.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Gio, honestly man. I like you but I have no earthly idea what you're talking about. What I could even follow of your last post seems to be constructing a strawman argument wherein someone is confused about how good URI basketball is now and has been for the last two decades compared to what URI basketball was before the Jerry D era or compared to what other programs in other conferences are. (FWIW, I don't know how young you think I am but to give you an idea, I attended far more URI games prior to 1999 than since 1999, including multiple NCAA tournament games.)

Neither myself nor RR02 has said anything to indicate any confusion about where these URI teams fit historically. The whole point we are making is how depressingly bad the program has been for so many years that this year could be our best year in that span. You're just making up your own argument so you can yell at people.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Im yelling... YELLING... LETS GO RHODY

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(URI losses this game I will be right back here ripping 3/4s of the team and program. :? )
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think that if the SH job opens up that DH would be in the mix

I think after the year he had here with us underachieving he should look at the step up to the power 5

If that happens and he leaves we need to nail that next hire
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: Wade "he's got plays for days"
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great article about all the potential openings

Looks like Will Wade could move to a P5
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Kellogg Out at UMass

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Just heard it on EEI.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: Kellogg just got fired

A10 talk tweeted it. WOW.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, now he can spend time with his beautiful wife,
and collect on his contract.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Some good young players there. Do any of them transfer?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Someone suggested Skinner as his replacement.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....does he have to get his own transportation home....?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That was quick.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Someone suggested Skinner as his replacement.

That would really sting
1 x
Clapton is God
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Some really great players. A pretty good job opening....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:That was quick.
Life comes at you fast
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Sophomore center Rashaan Holloway on Twitter, "this is some fucking bullshit."
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well he had 9 years.......made one NCAA tourney a while ago......I think if UMass can make a good hire they will bounce back pretty quickly as long as all of their young players don't leave.

I think the school only owed him about $550K.......2 years of base pay according to the UMass board.....
0 x