The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Couple things - I think the actual percentage is 9%, not 15%. Also, that means that the state only covers (theoretically) 9% of his base compensation which is paid by the University. His total compensation is made up of several different pieces, all of which outside the base salary include 0% state contributions. The state's real dollar contribution, in terms of taxpayer spending, to Hurley's compensation is likely under $50,000. In no real sense does it even make sense to call him a "state employee."
TP,
Would the only amount of DH's Salary that is provided by the State be the $300K? In this case only $27K ($300K times 9% of base salary) of his potential $855K salary would be provided by Taxpayers, right? This would represent 3.12% of his Total Potential Salary coming from RI Taxpayers.

RF1,
Would you agree that the rest of the Compensation and bonus potential comes from sources other than the State of Rhode Island? I'm assuming that the bonuses for NIT invite, A10 COY, NCAA Bonuses are not paid by the State, right?

Base Salary: $300,000
Guaranteed $175,000 from home gate receipts escalates by 15k each yr)
Guaranteed $65,000 for an away pay game
Guaranteed $50,000 for radio & tv appearances
Guaranteed $10,000 to participate in other athletic events & URI functions
Guaranteed $12,000 vehicle stipend (paid by FBC)
$5,000 paid by FBC if it raises more than 150K
$25,000 if gross home ticket receipts exceeds 1m
$7,500 for a team 2.5 GPA or $10,000 for a team 2.75 GPA
$8,000 for beach or country club membership (paid for by FBC)
$20,000 for winning A-10 regular season or A-10 Tournament championship
$20,000 for each game played in NCAA Tournament 1st,2nd, and 3rd round
$25,000 for each game played in NCAA Tournament beyond the 3rd round
$5,000 for an NIT invite
$5,000 for A-10 Coach of the Year
$10,000 for NCAA National Coach of the Year
Ignoring the out of date contracts...The athletic department is largely funded by student athletics fees.

The URI foundation, donors, and marketing revenue make up a large majority of the rest.

The RIBGHE controls what is given to the university. The university then controls how that much money is spent.

Since the University operates pretty much as a private institution, they have to charge 30 grand a year to out of state students.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: Zero insider talk. Although this year I spoke to a legit insider and learned more in 20 minutes than I ever learned in 10 years on this board. Lots of negative.
Care to enlighten us at all?
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Insiders?
Spend some time talking to Bob Terino.
He should write the book about URI and URI basketball.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

ramster wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:I just feel like if the money/situation is good at URI for Dan then he doesn't want the headache of going elsewhere.

I get the vibe he doesn't want to put himself in a challenging situation of moving and taking on something else with all the stress involved. Just look at him now versus the past. He must feel like a new man.

Take on any new program and put himself through all the learning and calibrating. Plus move his family a thousand miles?

**Also: this board makes every place not in RI seem like heaven on earth. Which is extremely Rhode Island to do.

Zero insider talk. Although this year I spoke to a legit insider and learned more in 20 minutes than I ever learned in 10 years on this board. Lots of negative.
SWPG,
When you say you learned a lot in 20 minutes talking to a legit insider, then you said "Lots of negative", did you mean lots of negative about this message board being the opinion from this insider? or was it lots of negative about the Basketball Program? or negative about more than just the Basketball Program? Sorry if it wasn't clear to me.
Yeah I intentionally wanted it unclear but Idc I guess I can clear it up. I just met someone that used to be part of the DH program. They had a negative opinion of some people in the program and things like that. I was surprised because I have such a rosy view of URI and Dan. I won't say who it is. haha I guess the real story is who it is and how they feel about Dan. I won't say.

I prefer to live in my Keaney Blue URI is the greatest and all the people associated with the program are wonderful world.

*No not an insider like Bob Terino or people like that
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Did this insider leave on their own or were they shown the door? How people leave organizations shapes their opinions of said organizations.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This was on the HoyaTalk2 site, Possible Coaching Candidates thread page 103. Interesting read.

https://runninrhody.wixsite.com/uri-att ... on-3-31-17
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I just confirmed from an insider he is def staying
3 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Roz wrote:I just confirmed from an insider he is def staying
Out of curiosity, did this insider mention whether or not he was offered the Georgetown job?
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Let me find out
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Was told he has no interest in leaving. I am getting the info through an intermediary. His wife loves it in RI
6 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I love it too. Good choice.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

As I and others have said, I think the key time will be after next season, especially if we make the NCAAT again.

Dan will probably attract more interest. Could depend on 2 big things: URI's ongoing level of commitment going forward....that's most important.

The 2nd thing.... how much success will Dan have in bringing in the talent needed to keep things going in 2018-19? With so many key players leaving after next season, there could be a drop off in performance. Might be more than could, it's more likely than not imo. Team will be very young.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

They probably will be pretty good. Dowtin just scored 23 in the tournament as a freshman. Cyril also made an impact. The other guys are all good.

With the heavy departure next year I bet they look for a high major transfer next year to mix in. Offset the #s.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

We get the right JUCO we blow right by both VCU and the Flyers next year.

St Louis will be strong but we should sit squarely at the top of the league if we can bring in the right big.

Certainly will not be a hard recruiting sell to bring in a stud to join this group.

Pivotal year 17/18, could set us up for a 10 year run.

I am hugely optimistic!

Go Rhody
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

A juco and a transfer who would be eligible for 2018-19 would work, if there is another opening.

If we lose a player [CT?] we should know pretty soon I would think.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I think Langevin replaces say 75% of Hass.

It's Iverson role that will be very difficult to fill.......big multi skill player like that is hard to find. Dan scored huge on that transfer. A huge feather in his coaching cap in my opinion.

I hope he can pull it off again.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We do lose 4 guards next year, but the following year, Dowtin will be a junior, Fatts will be a sophomore and Thompson will be a senior, if he stays. Not a bad start.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Key element in Roz' comments--Andrea Hurley loves it in RI. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the street.
3 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

hrstrat57 wrote:I think Langevin replaces say 75% of Hass.

It's Iverson role that will be very difficult to fill.......big multi skill player like that is hard to find. Dan scored huge on that transfer. A huge feather in his coaching cap in my opinion.

I hope he can pull it off again.
That's very optimistic. Many here said Hass was hands down the best big man in the a10 this past year so even 75% is asking a lot in my opinion.

My biggest concern is foul trouble. Iverson and Hass both had problems staying in the game due to fouls...Akele and Langevine are likely to face the same issues if they're starters. That will leave us with Tertsea, Layssard and Berry coming off the bench. We desperately need another big so hopefully Dan can get one to commit, ideally Juiston but I think even a guy the same level of Earl Watson's senior year could do the job.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Hoosiers - Coach stays!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

As long as Andrea Hurley loves living in RI then we are in really great shape
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

reef wrote:As long as Andrea Hurley loves living in RI then we are in really great shape
I am not sure if that was tongue and cheek, but my father is buds with BT. I think that is a great source.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The latest from Casual Hoya on their search:
What We Know:

- Shaka Smart was the school’s #1 target.

- Shaka Smart indicated to Georgetown at some point that his preference was to remain at Texas.

- There are people at Georgetown that like Tommy Amaker.

- John Thompson, Jr. is one of these people.

- David Falk is Amaker’s agent.

- As of right now, it is up to Tommy Amaker to decide whether he wants to be the next head coach of Georgetown.

- If Amaker says no, it won’t be because of anything having to do with the school.

- As of yesterday, Danny Hurley, Tom Crean, and Jamion Christian had not been contacted about the position.

What We Don’t Know:

- Who else the school has reached out to.

- Where Georgetown will turn if Amaker decides to stay at Harvard.

What We’d Like to Think:

- Tagliabue has reached out to Frank Martin’s agent.

- Tagliabue has reached out to anyone else’s agent.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think the reason he mentions that Falk is Amaker's agent is because the following are also Falk clients: JT2, JT3, Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo, Michael Sweetney, Otto Porter, Victor Page, Jeff Green, Othella Harrington, Greg Monroe, etc. (in other words, Falk maybe has some ties to Georgetown).
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramswin
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ramswin »

Ewing is clearly the right man for the job.............at least from my point of view anyways.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don't think Ewing would be a bad hire. He is a legend there he should be able to get recruits to play for him
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Wow. Not the kind of article you want coming out on Final 4 Weekend. Still don't know exactly who is running the show or calling the shots. The guess is the guy who has been all along but who knows. What a mess.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Wow...yeah...with this description...great ego stroke....
"Whoever gets the job, it will be clear how far it has fallen to them."

What a mess....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think Ewing will take it. Amaker will pass, imo.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

And we thought the John Chuckran-Ted Eddy regime was bad . . .
Last edited by Rhode_Island_Red 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Wouldn't be too sure about Ewing...if he cares about a coaching 'future'...not sure he'd take it either?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

At this point, it REALLY seems like firing JTIII was Step 1, and Georgetown didn't really have a Step 2 lined up.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Thamel called it "ready, fire, aim" and it's hard to disagree. I know everybody has already happily moved on from this story having a URI tie-in, but until they have a coach installed I will be at least a little anxious. If they keep going down the list - if neither Amaker and Ewing are hired - it's a matter of time until they come for your guy, and if they're desperate and are ready to meet demands and throw around crazy money? Idk. It seems like the looming presence of JT2 wouldn't be something Hurley would live with, but is it possible this whole thing makes them rethink his role and they decide to just break all ties and start over?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I doubt that Gtown will ever break ties with the Thompsons....looks like it might not be a bad idea...but can't see it happening...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Nobody saw them firing JT3 for basically the same reason, so you never know.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Doubling down on your own history and legacy is the play.

When there is no hot shot and you are just choosing between narratives. One being going away and the other doubling down. Choose yourself.

Get the recruiters on board. Get Patrick Ewing into any march game/games that matter in the Big East tournament or beyond and they will be the darlings.

The Saban comment could only be duplicated if Georgetown hired billy Donovan for 10 mill a year and quadrupled the staff and spending around the program.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Does anyone think that Dan Hurley has overplayed his hand? I've never thought that he was a strong candidate for the Georgetown job considering the track record of the coach that they just fired. The fact that he has not earned a single coaching victory against PC does not help him either. Thor was hot to sign an extension and it drags on like Dan is in no hurry to finalize. URI does not have unlimited funds to support the program.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am not worried about this in the least bit

It would be one thing if they fired JT3 then contacted DH in the next day or 2 showing huge interest to make him feel like they want him

Now if they contact DH I wouldn't even listen to them as he would be way down their list . If he ever wanted to leave here there will be better jobs and better opportunities down the road not the bungled Gtown search
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

DeanDome88 wrote:Does anyone think that Dan Hurley has overplayed his hand? I've never thought that he was a strong candidate for the Georgetown job considering the track record of the coach that they just fired. The fact that he has not earned a single coaching victory against PC does not help him either. Thor was hot to sign an extension and it drags on like Dan is in no hurry to finalize. URI does not have unlimited funds to support the program.
Or, he just doesn't plan on leaving, in which case, what's the rush on his part? (I think the PC thing is irrelevant for the Gtown deal)...If the wife likes where you live...it can take a lot to get the family moved...a real lot...
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I hope that Ewing wants the job.

I don't think Dan has overplayed anything with Thorr. That is a cooperative, mutually beneficial relationship. They both want the same thing. It's a matter of figuring out what is doable.
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

TruePoint wrote:I hope that Ewing wants the job.

I don't think Dan has overplayed anything with Thorr. That is a cooperative, mutually beneficial relationship. They both want the same thing. It's a matter of figuring out what is doable.
Isn't Thorr in a position to know what is doable? Hence my original question.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Well, like I said, they're on the same side. It isn't like Thorr has the ability to do whatever he wants but is rationing stuff out like he is a parent giving out allowance money. They got together on the Tuesday after the Oregon game and likely mapped out a list of goals, and now he has to go figure out what levers he can pull and what resources he has available to check off the items they agreed to pursue.

I think because fans are sitting around waiting for the announcement, it feels to us like if there is no announcement then there is some sort of snag or stalemate. It seems likely that there is an understanding in place between the AD and the coach, and now the coach will go about his business while the AD works on getting the new items funded. There really isn't any urgency to get pen to paper, like in a new hire situation where the coach can't start working without a contract. The coach already has a contract. And any possibility that the coach could actually end up elsewhere, however remote, isn't a factor because a new contract would not prevent that from happening.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Multiple NCAAT appearances are NOT guaranteed in the next few years.......Dan has a lot of recruiting to do, to get the players needed for that to happen.....Thorr and Dooley know that and are probably not likely to give Dan the keys to the city quite yet.....

Although a larger recruiting budget is a must, other items might have to be doled out in more of a gradual manner.
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

This is where the buyout comes into play too, there is a give and take to this extension. If URI is on the hook to step up the funding of the program, Thorr and Dooley will want assurances that if Dan suddenly steps away that the buyout amount can help cover the increased funding level during the "next" rebuild or re-tooling during which we may not get tournament revenue for at least a few years.
Last edited by rhodyruckus 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah you can not [as an athletic dept] assume that there will always be an extra few hundred thousand a year coming in from the NCAA.....

That's to be considered bonus money...not allocated in the budget at all. What they will get from this tourney appearance will run out down the road, unless we go again, and again.....

Like I said after Dan's visit to the State House, his comment about 2 million more a year for the program wasn't really a joke.....most of that will have to come from donors' pockets, not the school or the state, or even gate receipts.

That 2 mil a year would probably put us on par with Dayton and VCU.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x