The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

As someone else posted, you can't take a job
you were not offered.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Are the interviews they have usually face to face or just over the phone ??
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

TruePoint wrote:I will say this: if it turns out that Dan was offered the Georgetown job and didn't take it, not only would I be absolutely shocked, I couldn't imagine what job he would possibly leave for. I obviously want Dan to stay next year and probably forever, but you just never (or hardly ever) see guys pass up jobs like the Georgetown job to stay at places like URI. That would show character of a kind I don't think anyone could ever reasonably expect. I want everyone to love URI the way I do, but I'm realistic to know not everyone will.
Cuse or Maryland.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

He would leave for seton hall @$2m plus

I don't think he'd go anywhere else....

Really Rhody @ $1m plus is a great gig.....
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

hrstrat57 wrote:He would leave for seton hall @$2m plus

I don't think he'd go anywhere else....

Really Rhody @ $1m plus is a great gig.....
From someone who knew the situation when rutgers was brought up: "2 million in jersey is 1 million in RI. Why up-root the family for no raise?"
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well, today should be the day....extension signed, announcement made....trip to Arizona for the FF.

If not....then never mind......
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Can't turn down a job you haven't been offered.
And there are also about 42 steps between no interest from either side and an official offer of employment, which makes the language on these job talks difficult to parse. The conversations, official and otherwise, that assess mutual interest are part of the candidate search. So, a coach can certainly be part of the candidate field but shut it down before a job is officially offered. The coaching world is small. No need to waste anyone's time or create ill-will that might affect a later opportunity.

Here's the NBCSports interview-

2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ace wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:Can't turn down a job you haven't been offered.
And there are also about 42 steps between no interest from either side and an official offer of employment, which makes the language on these job talks difficult to parse. The conversations, official and otherwise, that assess mutual interest are part of the candidate search. So, a coach can certainly be part of the candidate field but shut it down before a job is officially offered. The coaching world is small. No need to waste anyone's time or create ill-will that might affect a later opportunity.

Here's the NBCSports interview-

Thanks for posting the interview Ace! I'm going to also post it to the DH Radio Interview Thread!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Isn't it strange that channels 10 and 12 are the only ones reporting that Dan will sign the extension (one says today, one says by Monday) and stay? Nothing from the guys close to the program like Koch and Disano. Nothing from McNamara or Reynolds. Nothing from Zags. I'm not saying Dan will leave. Not at all. I'm just wondering where Carpano and Kourakis are getting their information.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I will say Koch isn't really one for speculation. He's great for coverage when something is official, but I get the feeling he doesn't like being ahead of the story in case it ends up not being accurate.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Billyboy78 wrote:Isn't it strange that channels 10 and 12 are the only ones reporting that Dan will sign the extension (one says today, one says by Monday) and stay? Nothing from the guys close to the program like Koch and Disano. Nothing from McNamara or Reynolds. Nothing from Zags. I'm not saying Dan will leave. Not at all. I'm just wondering where Carano and Kourakis are getting their information.
There also could be a bit of calculation in giving bits of information to sources not traditionally associated with URI basketball... I mean, Frank Carpano is referred to as "Friar Frank" ... seeding local news channels with a couple stories to pump into local headlines is certainly an advantage over hearing almost exclusively PC basketball stories out of the RI stations. Just another pawn in Hurley's PR match to help get this program some more notoriety.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

the_one_mike wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Isn't it strange that channels 10 and 12 are the only ones reporting that Dan will sign the extension (one says today, one says by Monday) and stay? Nothing from the guys close to the program like Koch and Disano. Nothing from McNamara or Reynolds. Nothing from Zags. I'm not saying Dan will leave. Not at all. I'm just wondering where Carano and Kourakis are getting their information.
There also could be a bit of calculation in giving bits of information to sources not traditionally associated with URI basketball... I mean, Frank Carpano is referred to as "Friar Frank" ... seeding local news channels with a couple stories to pump into local headlines is certainly an advantage over hearing almost exclusively PC basketball stories out of the RI stations. Just another pawn in Hurley's PR match to help get this program some more notoriety.
Maybe, but none of the people traditionally thought of as "in the know" are picking up on it. I'm not trying to be alarmist or pessimistic here, just want to maintain a healthy dose of cautiousness. There is no law that says you cannot negotiate with two different parties at one time. I know I will not feel like URI is out of the woods until Georgetown announces their next coach. That's just how I feel. I am curious about the negotiations at URI, obviously, because likely they will result in new and improved commitments to the basketball program, but until the Georgetown thing ends with someone other than Hurley as head coach, I will be nervous about that.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Let's just all wait for the Koch/Rothstein/Goodman tweetstorm. When that happens you know it's coming from the school.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Channel 12 and Yianni Kourakis normally cover URI well so I wouldn't be surprised if he has good info and if Carpano was around when Dan was talking to Yianni then he'd have the same info. That said, I'm with TruePoint, I'm not going to feel great until Georgetown's press conference.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

TruePoint wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:
Maybe, but none of the people traditionally thought of as "in the know" are picking up on it. I'm not trying to be alarmist or pessimistic here, just want to maintain a healthy dose of cautiousness. There is no law that says you cannot negotiate with two different parties at one time. I know I will not feel like URI is out of the woods until Georgetown announces their next coach. That's just how I feel. I am curious about the negotiations at URI, obviously, because likely they will result in new and improved commitments to the basketball program, but until the Georgetown thing ends with someone other than Hurley as head coach, I will be nervous about that.
But there is a suggestion to hold off speculating about a new coach on Keaney Blue!
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

There sure is. There will be plenty of time to speculate about who could or should take the job if/when it comes open.
2 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

At this point, my gut is telling me that Dan is staying. There are a few things that stand out to me right now - in no particular order (and, yes, I am aware that I am definitely looking into things way too much).

1.) Announcement that EC is returning to school - Dan has said that the only person that would coach EC in college was him. My thought was that if Dan took the GTown job, then he'd take EC with him. By releasing the statement that specifically states that EC is returning to Kingston, Dan would be opening EC to a ton of criticism if he ultimately left and took EC. It doesn't seem like Dan's M.O. to put something out that could potentially lead to backlash against the player.

2.) Thorr's announcement of contract extension on TV - Based on his relationship with Dan and how things have transpired in the past, I think that the only way that Thorr announces something like this on TV would be if Dan had Ok'd it. If they had a strained relationship, I'd be concerned that he was trying to put pressure on Dan to sign the contract, but that doesn't seem like how they operate or indicative of their relationship whatsoever.

3.) State of Georgetown Program - Reports came out as soon as the GTown job opened up that agents/potential candidates had reached out to ask about the influence of John Thompson II on the program. Knowing Dan's process of getting all of the information possible and making the most informed decision possible, it could be a possibility that this was something asked and didn't care for the answers given.

4.) Report of Contract Being Finalized - Since Carpano and Channel 12 were both around the team yesterday, it would certainly be a possibility that they would have information that Koch/DiSano, etc. would not yet have (since they were not around the team yesterday and nothing is official yet). I'd have to assume that this information came from someone associated with the team that was at the State House yesterday and that theis information was not simply made up.

All of this is obviously just speculation on my part, just where my head is at and the thoughts running through my head. I will say that I won't be totally comfortable until GTown does hire someone and I would be surprised (thrilled, but surprised) if I found out that Dan turned down an offer from GTown to return to URI.
Last edited by Shaolin Swat 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I can't believe Frank Martin lived in Riverside, RI, back around 2000. From the Kmac article. Wow.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I can't believe Frank Martin lived in Riverside, RI, back around 2000. From the Kmac article. Wow.
And used RIPTA.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I just still can't believe anyone on this board doesn't know who the coach of this program is already.

Not his brother. Not a money chaser. Just wants to win.

Dan's character is unlike 95% of the coaches in college basketball. His family is a priority to him - beyond the financial stability. He will not move them any further away from Jersey than they are now. He will not uproot them while he has a kid still in high school.
If Jay Wright retires or Mark Turegon retires? I would think he would end his coaching career there.

Dan Hurley may not be here forever - but the program he leaves for will not be in any semblance of a rebuild mode, or have even the slightest chance to perform worse on the court than his returning team at URI. The program he leaves here for will be an elite level program that doesn't require heavy lifting to get them to a championship level. If a coach just got fired with an underperforming or poor team, he's not taking that job.

But goals and realities change. Dan is king of this school and athletics - and the state, right now. He's getting everything he asks for. He calls the shots. Go to a football school? He's no longer king.

If we become a turn-key, championship level, Gonzaga-type program like he wants us to? 1) he'll have felt like he's done his job here, 2) because of him any coach could come in and win here, and 3) he may not even want to leave.

All of this "woe is us he's going to leave and we suck" type shit is what made us a small time program in the 2000's. If you really want to think big, start thinking and believing what Hurley does. We're a championship level program now. We have a championship level coach. Championship level coaches coach championship level programs.

Stop pretending we're a gross chick invited to prom with the quarterback on a dare. We're a hot chick. We're the damn homecoming queen. We belong at this level. To quote the greatest michael bay film of all time - "losers talk about what they could've done, winners go home and f*%& the prom queen."
10 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Great The Rock reference! Captain John Patrick Mason is a prime bad ass!

I never saw Frank Martin at the Dairy Bee.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:I just still can't believe anyone on this board doesn't know who the coach of this program is already.

Dan's character is unlike 95% of the coaches in college basketball. His family is a priority to him - beyond the financial stability. He will not move them any further away from Jersey than they are now. He will not uproot them while he has a kid still in high school.
If Jay Wright retires or Mark Turegon retires? I would think he would end his coaching career there.

Dan Hurley may not be here forever - but the program he leaves for will not be in any semblance of a rebuild mode, or have even the slightest chance to perform worse on the court than his returning team at URI. The program he leaves here for will be an elite level program that doesn't require heavy lifting to get them to a championship level. If a coach just got fired with an underperforming or poor team, he's not taking that job.

But goals and realities change. Dan is king of this school and athletics - and the state, right now. He's getting everything he asks for. He calls the shots. Go to a football school? He's no longer king.

If we become a turn-key, championship level, Gonzaga-type program like he wants us to? 1) he'll have felt like he's done his job here, 2) because of him any coach could come in and win here, and 3) he may not even want to leave.

All of this "woe is us he's going to leave and we suck" type shit is what made us a small time program in the 2000's. If you really want to think big, start thinking and believing what Hurley does. We're a championship level program now. We have a championship level coach. Championship level coaches coach championship level programs.

Stop pretending we're a gross chick invited to prom with the quarterback on a dare. We're a hot chick. We're the damn homecoming queen. We belong at this level. To quote the greatest michael bay film of all time - "losers talk about what they could've done, winners go home and f*%& the prom queen."
That is all well and good, and if you are right then that is fantastic news for URI.

But it doesn't make any sense to say that entertaining the idea that the coach could accept a job for 2 or 3 times as much money at catholic school in the northeast corridor with no football to compete with that has won a national championship in my lifetime and is located in maybe the best recruiting area of the country is what made us "small time in the 2000s." No, what made us small time is that we had a small time coach.

The reality is that the coaches at the two best programs in our league just left their teams to take bigger jobs (one of them screwed up by doing so, but that's not the point) - and of the 350 D1 head coaches, you can fit the number of coaches that wouldn't leave URI for Georgetown if given the opportunity into a soft top Porsche. If Dan turns out to be one of those guys, hallelujah, I will love the guy even more than I do now. But unless you've heard directly from his mouth that he wouldn't and won't take the Georgetown job (and maybe you have), I think it is probably a mistake to say that you KNOW that for a fact. It just isn't that simple.

Losing your coach to a bigger, richer program doesn't make you small time. Dayton and VCU aren't suddenly small time. What makes you small time is losing your coach and then failing to bring in a quality coach to replace him and tying your cart to that horse for more than a decade. I am coming at this from a place where I do not believe I have any good information about what Georgetown is doing or how Dan is looking at the situation; I'm just using what I know about the world to say that you shouldn't be surprised or hurt if he accepted the Georgetown job if offered. And if he does, we can keep building on what he started here if we handle it right. If he doesn't, that would obviously be awesome and I'll be as excited as anyone here.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
4 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Apparently a press conference has not been scheduled for today by Georgetown which means it ain't happening today. So much for the idea they were hiring a coach by Friday.....
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:I just still can't believe anyone on this board doesn't know who the coach of this program is already.

All this is great, but anytime something like this happens I just end up feeling like a little kid who's parents are in a big fight. I just hope we're all a family when this is sorted out.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Maybe Dan leaked out the potential signing of the extension to the local TV guys in an attempt to get Georgetown to move their ass.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Yes because if he wanted to get a message to G'town he would logically use Frank the fryer Carpano and not Zagoria, Rothstein, Brazilier or Goodman.
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

He doesn't want to use credible sources for fake news......my post wasn't serious, btw.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

My confidence has been growing with each day that he's staying.

Today, I am no longer worried at all.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Also great to see the Friar fans pontificating about our coach and program...they are the epitome of nouveau riche with a dash of delusional.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'd shocked if he left. You could knock me over with a feather if he did I would be so surprised. In Sacramento one would never think that he would consider leaving by the way he acted and communicated. He did what he has done the past 2-3 years. Listens, keeps quiet, leverages the team's results in negotiating for improvements for the Program, the Team, his Assistant Coaches and for himself.
He has a very good thing going here. Family likes it, he likes it. Dan has to be considered the best Coach in the A10 now with Miller and Wade departing for "greener" pastures.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

bigappleram wrote:Also great to see the Friar fans pontificating about our coach and program...they are the epitome of nouveau riche with a dash of delusional.
the walking definition of insecure coattail riders. keep hiding behind the Big East name, ignoring the fact that if it weren't for Gavitt the Big East would've dropped them like a bad habit decades ago. they're that loser that hangs with the cool kids so they end up thinking they're just as cool.

the big irony being the new Big East needed to go to the lowly, unworthy A10 to get 2 of it's 3 marquee anchor teams.
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Typical case of forgetting where you came from, it's comical.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

In all the interviews he talked about how it will take a "heavy commitment, heavy investment" from the state and university to sustain success in the program. Given the chance to be more specific, he wasn't. But there's the list in Koch's story so we can assume that's what he's talking about. He's clearly laying out a challenge to Dooley, Thorr and state leaders. If they don't meet the challenge, that's when Dan walks.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

It is sounding like the agreement in principle was made earlier in the week, but there was significant work left to lock down those terms in writing.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Also great to see the Friar fans pontificating about our coach and program...they are the epitome of nouveau riche with a dash of delusional.
the walking definition of insecure coattail riders. keep hiding behind the Big East name, ignoring the fact that if it weren't for Gavitt the Big East would've dropped them like a bad habit decades ago. they're that loser that hangs with the cool kids so they end up thinking they're just as cool.

the big irony being the new Big East needed to go to the lowly, unworthy A10 to get 2 of it's 3 marquee anchor teams.
I read the Hurley thread and wow, what a bunch of arrogant aholes (with a few exceptions of good posters). The best was the ones that didn't want their taxes to pay for Hurley's salary. Ok, fine, then I want our tax money back for the Dunk "improvements"
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Again, how can he walk if there's no place to walk to?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I'll take the fact that I'm an ahole, and wear it like a badge of honor :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stand by everything I said, 100%.
So take that!!! :D
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I'll take the fact that I'm an ahole, and wear it like a badge of honor :lol: :lol: :lol:
rj, you were among the exceptions
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I'll take the fact that I'm an ahole, and wear it like a badge of honor :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't know what you said, RJ, but I'm guessing he was referring to idiots like little Seanie.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Again, how can he walk if there's no place to walk to?
Nobody really knows whether he is a serious candidate at Georgetown or not. Nothing has leaked from their search, other than Brey and Smart leaking that they aren't considering it. I think if Hurley was offered the job, it would be almost impossible not to take it, but anything beyond that - whether he is even on their actual list and where he is on it - are total mysteries. What I think is definitely happening is that he is working with URI on a new deal. I just don't believe that tells us anything about where the Georgetown thing stands. We may never know what his involvement was with their search, if any, but if they hire someone else it will be interesting to see people speculate about where that person was on their list.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Cross forum board observation is ill permitted.There's also the possibility of obtaining symptoms such as nausea, migraine, loss of hearing, destruction of brain cells and fever from viewing the PC forum.
0 x
GO RAMS
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
I don't know what you said, RJ, but I'm guessing he was referring to idiots like little Seanie.
I took the controversial road that I don't think Dan Hurley would stay at URI because of his promise to certain players that he would not leave. If he stays, it's because he doesn't see enough value in the new job, whether monetary or geographically.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
I took the controversial road that I don't think Dan Hurley would stay at URI because of his promise to certain players that he would not leave. If he stays, it's because he doesn't see enough value in the new job, whether monetary or geographically.
I have rarely read the PC board, but had to take a peak at the Hurley thread. The only thing that really bugged me was the "not wanting their taxes to pay Hurley's salary" and the normal arrogant URI is a crap job garbage.

I don't think it's too controversial that Hurley or anyone would leave URI for what would be considered a bigger job, GT among them. I don't think anything that RJ wrote that I read was controversial. Honestly I didn't really look at actual poster names, but remembered rj's b/c his handle is the same as it is here. I also remembered DunkDynasty b/c he seemed pretty with it. Most of the anti Hurley posts I'm betting would be pro Hurley if he were PC's coach.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Ahh nothing like fans of a private catholic liberal arts college complaining about taxes going to a public research institution.
5 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

rhodysurf wrote:Ahh nothing like fans of a private catholic liberal arts college complaining about taxes going to a public research institution.
People love to throw out that "highest paid state employee" thing, but never mention the fact that the basketball program is {{at least I think}} a net moneymaker for the University.
4 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

skwalk47 wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:Ahh nothing like fans of a private catholic liberal arts college complaining about taxes going to a public research institution.
People love to throw out that "highest paid state employee" thing, but never mention the fact that the basketball program is {{at least I think}} a net moneymaker for the University.
or that he pays more to the state in income tax than the portion of his salary covered by the state.

He is paid by the school, who's budget is <15% covered by state money. Now take that 15% and break it down to academics vs athletics, then within athletics split it to each sport....
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

We got a gorgeous on campus arena. They got the downtown donut shop dump.

It's awesome how they pack that place with students no?
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Couple things - I think the actual percentage is 9%, not 15%. Also, that means that the state only covers (theoretically) 9% of his base compensation which is paid by the University. His total compensation is made up of several different pieces, all of which outside the base salary include 0% state contributions. The state's real dollar contribution, in terms of taxpayer spending, to Hurley's compensation is likely under $50,000. In no real sense does it even make sense to call him a "state employee."
7 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steviep123 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: I don't know what you said, RJ, but I'm guessing he was referring to idiots like little Seanie.
I have rarely read the PC board, but had to take a peak at the Hurley thread. The only thing that really bugged me was the "not wanting their taxes to pay Hurley's salary" and the normal arrogant URI is a crap job garbage.

I don't think it's too controversial that Hurley or anyone would leave URI for what would be considered a bigger job, GT among them. I don't think anything that RJ wrote that I read was controversial. Honestly I didn't really look at actual poster names, but remembered rj's b/c his handle is the same as it is here. I also remembered DunkDynasty b/c he seemed pretty with it. Most of the anti Hurley posts I'm betting would be pro Hurley if he were PC's coach.

Do not let some ignorant PC Friar fans get to you.

RI taxpayers contribute far more (in many millions of dollars) on an annual basis to subsidize the DDC (apart and above the 100M plus up front cost to purchase and renovate the arena) than they do to Hurley's yearly salary. Most of Hurley's compensation is not "salary" and is guaranteed from gate revenues (URI Foundation makes up any promised shortfall) with no connection to RI taxpayers. Taxpayers actually contribute very little toward Hurley's "salary" as the state funds less than 10% of URI's operating budget.

As for the posters on the PC Forum, many of them are a very strange group that exhibit a split personality complex. They are always going on about URI fans obsessing about their program while stating they have no interest in URI other than the annual meeting on the court. They then however start new threads about URI on a weekly basis (there are FIVE different primary subject threads about URI, its coaches, and its players on the first three current pages of their forum). There are probably far more new threads about URI on the PC forum than those about PC on the KeaneyBlue forum. Makes you wonder which group is truly obsessed.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
4 x