The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by Blue Man »

RF1 wrote:
scine20 wrote:I obviously have no knowledge but just a feeling that Hurley will end up in Indiana. It's a great job with a rich history and he won't have to rebuild.
Given Dan Hurley's fiery sideline behavior and Indiana's past experience with a coach also known for this, I highly doubt Hurley will be the next coach in Bloomington.
I hate to start this before tip of our first game...but good god, can't we just enjoy the now?

Dan certainly wants a "blue blood" type job like an Indiana, or at least he had, every coach thinks about that and wants that.

However, he is a different type of person and coach than everyone is used to. His family is important to him. Their well-being is important to him. One son is going to Seton Hall in the fall, another just started high school. EC is important to him. EC from what I can tell doesn't want to leave here as a grad transfer. Money isn't important to him.

You know what's important to him? Coaching and winning. He will go to or stay wherever makes those 2 things easiest. He left Wagner because he won 25 games and couldn't get into the tournament. He is here because he figured that winning that many games will get him in. If we are smart, we will take the bonuses from this NCAA run, however long it goes, and continue to invest it into basketball, to make Dan's life easy. Every flight should be a charter. His pool for assistant coaches should continue to grow. Games should be 85% full. There should be a genuine effort to try and break ground on a basketball only facility.

If this program is supported well and Dan sees that he can win here without having to relocate his family, without having to do the heavy lifting he's had to throughout this rebuilding process, he will weigh all of that and if he believes that he can make us into the "Gonzaga of the East" as he's said in the past, he will stay.

A power in the A10 is much easier to maintain and go to NCAA's than trying to catch up to the elites in a power 5 conference. Ignoring their now distant history of national championships, they are not the "elite" of the B1G.

Look at Shaka...was the hottest name in coaching, a god, perennial conference champ and NCAA 2nd weekend regular. Had everything he wanted at VCU. Total control. You think he loves it in Texas getting bounced in the first round to UNI and then having an 11 win season? Dan wants to run shit and create a dynasty. I don't think people understand how much he hates losing.

Dan just wants to win. He doesn't want another losing season. He wants to be at the top of a legitimate conference and coach in the NCAA's. Much easier to keep a good thing going here than build a good thing again.

As for Indiana, despite that history, there is a huge dissent between the fans and administration now from everything the guys at Assembly Call have been writing. Bob Knight famously has hated the administration from his time, and maybe those issues are a problem for any potential suitor?

If we make it to next weekend Dan's name will pop up very high on a lot of big program's lists. Unless it is a retirement with a program in great shape so that there's no rebuilding, and that program is very close to north Jersey, he will want to keep winning here. Unless we go Ron Petro in this bitch and mess that up (Thorr won't).
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

It's Indiana, don't think you have to worry about this one. Maybe Dayton and Miller have to worry. I have heard Brad Stevens even mentioned on this one. They are certainly going to to big and more than likely a guy with some type of Indiana or at least midwest roots. Unless a guy like Greg Marshall , who has already had overwhelming success were to have interest. Steve Alford would be an obvious guy to at least look at. Chris Holtmann and Chris Mack too.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Wasn't Tom Crean in the mix for a job here before Harrick emerged to replace Al? When he was still an Izzo assistant?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Yes, Gio. His name was mentioned, as was
some coach at Hofstra named Jay Wright,
and an Iona coach named Tim Welsh.
Don't know if they even got interviewed.
As for loving RI, nobody loved Rhody Island more
than Tom Penders.
Didn't stop him from taking a boatload of money and
perks from Texas.
In a competitive family, Bobby got the big paying P5 job
before Dan, as well as the NCAAs in his second year at
Buffalo.
Think about it.
If he leaves, he leaves. He'll have done his job.
As I said when he was hired, nobody leaves without
either winning or getting fired for not winning.
Just, please, no more extensions, based on rumors.
3 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Notre Dame football is not similar in terms of not having patience. They have had 3 coaches in 20+ years since Holtz left. With Weis they may have had too much patience.

ummm, they've had six total, 4 if you count non interim and non application lying coaches. They never should've booted Willingham out the door, he was building something. Ironically Charlie only won games early on when he had Ty's players

Bob Davie for 5
George O'Leary for 0
Ty Willingham for 3
Kent Baer as interim
Weis for 5
Kelly for 7
O'Leary obviously does not count. And they did not boot Willingham too early, he wasn't building anything, he retired from recruiting without telling anyone. That is made more obvious by looking at his record at Washington, where he continued the practice he started at ND of collecting a check for not doing anything and fielding terrible teams.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

rodfromcranston wrote:The curse of Bob Knight.
Indiana has gone to a couple of Sweet 16s.
Great by any standard, but after Knight's 24
NCAAs and 3 National Championships, and five
Final Fours, it's weak.
Fanbases at Indiana and UCLA still feel entitled
to be a top program and reclaim their glory days.
Anything less is unacceptable.
This regardless of reality.
Sounds like a fan base near us.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Bobby had different short term goals and motivations and did very well with his decision to go to Buffalo and cash in at Arizona State.

Bobby and Dan are not the same. Shocker!!!
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

No way Hurley is considered for the Indiana job not worried about that one , others will come open that will be more concerning

Wonder where Crean ends up ??
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

reef wrote:No way Hurley is considered for the Indiana job not worried about that one , others will come open that will be more concerning

Wonder where Crean ends up ??

Crean is a good coach wonder if Illinois would have interest.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Can't see Illinois taking Indiana's reject.
Sleeping giant in sports.
Except for their making the NCAA finals a few
years ago, it's never happened.
John Groce was supposed to be "The hot young coach".
He just got fired.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Will Indiana go for Ucla Steve Alford ??
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

Crean to umass? The a10 has always been a recovery place for reputations as long as you avoid the 4 at the bottom
Last edited by urirx 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Going to UMass didn't do much for Steve Lappas,
who was 50-65 there.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Doubt it Crean will get better than UMass

There are decent jobs open now and more will open soon as the Carousal is just getting started
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Doubt Crean to UMass too. Maybe Groce. I have read where Illinois may have interest in Crean, but that may be just a reporter's opinion. As Rod says unlikely a guy would jump to rival Big 10 school after getting fired. They got burned by Kelvin Sampson going away from an Indiana guy, with no ties to anything mid west. From what I continue to hear they want someone with Indiana or at least mid west routes. Maybe Bryce Drew if bigger targets fail.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:The curse of Bob Knight.
Indiana has gone to a couple of Sweet 16s.
Great by any standard, but after Knight's 24
NCAAs and 3 National Championships, and five
Final Fours, it's weak.
Fanbases at Indiana and UCLA still feel entitled
to be a top program and reclaim their glory days.
Anything less is unacceptable.
This regardless of reality.
Sounds like a fan base near us.
Indiana did make the Nat'l Championship in 2002 under Mike Davis, but mainly with Knight's players.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Bloomington is 950 miles from Kingston and 750 miles from Jersey City. His wife would kill him...
There are very few jobs that are relatively close to New Jersey. If Hurley ever wants to go to a bigger program he's going to likely have to move far.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

scine20 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Bloomington is 950 miles from Kingston and 750 miles from Jersey City. His wife would kill him...
There are very few jobs that are relatively close to New Jersey. If Hurley ever wants to go to a bigger program he's going to likely have to move far.
Philly, DC, NY, CT.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
scine20 wrote:
Philly, DC, NY, CT.
There are a total of 4 power 5 school in or near those states or cities. And they're nowhere close to Jersey City.

Is he going to leave URI to go to the Big East or AAC? While Villanova is great now can they sustain it? If I was a coach at a program like URI and in-demand like it appears that Hurley is I'd ONLY leave if it was a power 5 school.

I would say the most likely place he'd go is Maryland if Turgeon ever leaves.
Last edited by scine20 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

As has been said before, Hurley feels he has "one more BIG job left in him", assuming he does leave Rhode Island if it doesn't fulfill his need to consistently win on a national level.

He would be highly selective.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Kevin Keatts from UNC-Wilmington is being named the new head coach at NC State

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... atts-coach
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Good move for him. I have to wonder if I knew this in Tuesday if I'd have taken his UNCW team to go to Sweet 16.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow I never heard his name before. He did well at Uncw and parlays that into an ACC job good for him
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He is a former asst under Pitino at Louisville sounds like a nice hire
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Brad Underwood, after spending just one year at Oklahoma State, is hired at Illinois. That's some serious job-hopping. He had been at SFA for just three years after being a long-time assistant elsewhere. He was said to be relatively underpaid at Oklahoma State (making about a million), so maybe that had something to do with it.
Last edited by ace 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ace wrote:Brad Underwood, after spending just one year at Oklahoma State, is hired at Illinois. That's some serious job-hopping. He had been at SFA for just three years after being a long-time assistant elsewhere. He was said to be relatively underpaid at Oklahoma State (making about a million), so maybe that had something to do with it.
I mean living in Stillwater is a tough draw...
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow must have been the $$$$$

Who is on Okla State short list ???
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Jesus I hear TP on the tourney selections. I had UNCW and Oklahoma St winning at least one game. Seems like you need to be an agent for these coaches to correctly pick the bracket.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Florida Gulf Coast coach Joe Dooley could be emerging as leading UMass basketball coaching candidate

http://www.gazettenet.com/Coahcing-Sear ... ow-8757376
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

There goes Boeheim replacement. Would think Danny and Cooley may be mentioned with this job. Though they certainly have resources to go real big time.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

RF1 wrote:Florida Gulf Coast coach Joe Dooley could be emerging as leading UMass basketball coaching candidate

http://www.gazettenet.com/Coahcing-Sear ... ow-8757376
That would be a fun type of ball to watch, though I am unsure how successful it would be in the a10
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....I thought Hopkins was going to replace Jim, thought it was done deal...,no?
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I don't see Dan moving his family to Syracuse

Dump

Cooley is perfect right where he is. 4 straight bids.

Don't lose sleep over that one
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am surprised by Hopkins to Washington
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote:I am surprised by Hopkins to Washington

Some see this as a sign that Boeheim won't soon step down despite what has been previously reported.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RF1 wrote:

Some see this as a sign that Boeheim won't soon step down despite what has been previously reported.
Skip Prosser was the anointed successor to Howdy Doody Gillen at Xavier, but he took a year to be head coach at Loyola-Baltimore first. Could be the same idea.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1 wrote:

Hopkins move now makes some sense.

Syracuse extends Jim Boeheim beyond 2017-18 season

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... im-2017-18
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ok so I will be that guy

Is anybody going to be coming after our coach now ????
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Of course they are reef - the question is is he going to listen. I am not so worried about this year, I think we have a strong enough team coming back to keep him here. Could see him going if the 18' recruiting year doesn't go as well as he wants (i.e. He keeps missing out on top 50 / 75 recruits). Frustration may kick in then.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If Dan's goal is to compete for a national title, then he'll move on at some point. As we see, it's really hard to advance in the NCAAT if you're a mid major. VCU has made 7 straight, with 1 Final Four....and Dayton 4 straight, with 1 Elite 8......

Or he stays and gets Rhody to the level of those programs......consistently good but not quite great.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Maybe some people on here will get their wish. An article on ZagsBlog (Someone who is close to Hurley) had this to say

"Dan Hurley is going to have his coaching options this offseason. There are a few interesting vacancies in the coaching market and given his pedigree, he will be a valued commodity. "

http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/03/20/rhod ... -bid-line/
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

He may be on team's radars, but i dont see him leaving. He's comfortable, his family is settled, the school has room to increase his salary.

On top of all that, he finally has what he wanted to build here. He has the program established, has it at a consistent NCAA level and can truly build something long term. I get the impression he is a lot like his dad, who also could've easily jumped to college and instead stayed at the same HS
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Bos8 wrote:Maybe some people on here will get their wish. An article on ZagsBlog (Someone who is close to Hurley) had this to say

"Dan Hurley is going to have his coaching options this offseason. There are a few interesting vacancies in the coaching market and given his pedigree, he will be a valued commodity. "

There are some interesting schools, but I'd be surprised if he left the Northeast, and there's really nothing good up here. Hopefully this is just the setup for the inevitable contract restructuring.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Bos8 wrote:Maybe some people on here will get their wish. An article on ZagsBlog (Someone who is close to Hurley) had this to say

There are some interesting schools, but I'd be surprised if he left the Northeast, and there's really nothing good up here. Hopefully this is just the setup for the inevitable contract restructuring.

So what would be a big gig in the Northeast? BC is not an elite job. Is UConn the job it use to be? He has already turned down Rutgers and St. Johns. Does this mean Seton Hall (and maybe Syracuse) is the only gig he would jump on??
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Do we STILL not understand Dan Hurley? Really? Yawn.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I don't see Dan leaving now.

Maybe next season, after another NCAA bid.......by then we'll know who would be coming in that 2018-19 recruiting class.

As we've said, that class will be huge in keeping things going.

This run should hopefully convince a few studs to commit to us by the fall......
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Why would it be a shock to anyone if he left? Even he admitted he was really close to leaving last year. There will be better offers this year than Rutgers.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He might leave if he feels he's not going to be able to recruit the level of player he thinks he needs to keep things on a upward trajectory.

I think Fatts is that kind of player, but he needs more, as in 3's, 4's, and 5's.....especially the 4's and 5's which other than Cyril, he hasn't gotten since Hassan.....
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

and If he does we are in a much better place than last year, two years ago or five years ago. We would thank him for making us relevant again and continue to root for Keaney blue because that's what we do year in and year out. Obviously some years are tougher than others. It will be about the next hire. As we have seen you can make a good hire, AKA Al Skinner after Penders or you can make a bad hire AKA Jerry Duh after Harrick. I think Thorr would take his time and find the right guy.

But after saying all this I am hopeful he stays.
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano