The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
URIRecruitingInfo
Kenny Green
Posts: 208
Joined: 1 year ago
x 76

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby URIRecruitingInfo » 10 months ago

0 x

rambone 78
Frank Keaney
Posts: 10595
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1270

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby rambone 78 » 10 months ago

The rumor mill keeps on turning........who are these people who are saying Dan has spoken to GT?

Again, the ONLY way Dan would have any interest is if he can't get what he wants at URI.......

I'm sure Thorr and Dooley want the same thing....but can they afford it?
1 x

EGram
Lamar Odom
Posts: 289
Joined: 3 years ago
x 136

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby EGram » 10 months ago

The writer looks like he just did a lousy job sourcing. Sadly this is pretty normal nowadays and sports journalism is probably a few cuts above political/social journalism for instance.

No published reports Dan has talked to Georgetown whatsoever.
1 x

rambone 78
Frank Keaney
Posts: 10595
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1270

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby rambone 78 » 10 months ago

silive is usually a good source....but have to question this one.
0 x

Shaolin Swat
Jimmy Baron
Posts: 399
Joined: 2 years ago
x 87

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby Shaolin Swat » 10 months ago

Woj is generally pretty tuned in to the NBA scene. If Ewing has been identifying assistant coaches to bring to Georgetown, I'd guess that there will be a formal offer made to him sometime later today or tomorrow.



0 x

rambone 78
Frank Keaney
Posts: 10595
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1270

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby rambone 78 » 10 months ago

Hopefully Cox with his DC connections isn't on Ewing's radar....they could offer multiple times what David makes here.
1 x

Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8943
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1404

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby Billyboy78 » 10 months ago

URIRecruitingInfo wrote:https://twitter.com/SI_CormacGordon/status/848873338063777792

Rooke couldn't wait to retreat this. What an ass.
1 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9415
Joined: 5 years ago
x 2887

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby TruePoint » 10 months ago

rambone 78 wrote:
Again, the ONLY way Dan would have any interest is if he can't get what he wants at URI.......



I don't know why you would assume this.

EGram wrote:No published reports Dan has talked to Georgetown whatsoever.


This is a published report.




As I said yesterday, I hope Ewing wants the job. That he's been looking for a staff is encouraging, but I guess it depends on how that search is going and what he hears from the Georgetown people today.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011

rambone 78
Frank Keaney
Posts: 10595
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1270

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby rambone 78 » 10 months ago

TP, true, I can't assume that.
0 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9415
Joined: 5 years ago
x 2887

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby TruePoint » 10 months ago

rambone 78 wrote:Multiple NCAAT appearances are NOT guaranteed in the next few years.......Dan has a lot of recruiting to do, to get the players needed for that to happen.....Thorr and Dooley know that and are probably not likely to give Dan the keys to the city quite yet.....

Although a larger recruiting budget is a must, other items might have to be doled out in more of a gradual manner.


It is true that nothing is guaranteed, but you're wrong to suggest that URI is holding anything back. They may not be able to do everything this year, but the reasons for that are financial. Maybe you'd like them to take a "show-me" approach, but the administration is sold on the coach and they were even before the NCAA appearance. That just validated their opinion. Further, the things that Dan asks for as part of these "extensions" are viewed as investments in the program, not rewards for performance. The athletic department will fight and beg for every penny they can to get as many of the items done as possible.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011

giovanni
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1227
Joined: 5 years ago
x 393

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby giovanni » 10 months ago

1 x

rambone 78
Frank Keaney
Posts: 10595
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1270

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby rambone 78 » 10 months ago

They are going to do what they can for sure, TP.

Everybody has doubts.....mine is hopefully Dan gets what he needs on the recruiting trail.

Starting this week and especially this fall.
1 x

User avatar
SGreenwell
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 1850
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Narragansett, RI
x 75
Contact:

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby SGreenwell » 10 months ago

Shaolin Swat wrote:Woj is generally pretty tuned in to the NBA scene. If Ewing has been identifying assistant coaches to bring to Georgetown, I'd guess that there will be a formal offer made to him sometime later today or tomorrow.

My impression throughout this has been that Ewing will take the job if they offer it to him. He's been vocal about wanting an NBA head coaching opportunity for years, but it hasn't come to be, so it's not hard to imagine that a premier college job would entice him. I don't think Georgetown had the same initial interest in him, judging from the rumors that leaked out about Smart, etc.
0 x

EGram
Lamar Odom
Posts: 289
Joined: 3 years ago
x 136

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby EGram » 10 months ago

TruePoint wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:
Again, the ONLY way Dan would have any interest is if he can't get what he wants at URI.......



I don't know why you would assume this.

EGram wrote:No published reports Dan has talked to Georgetown whatsoever.


This is a published report.




.


Sounds to me like he is saying published reports have previously said Dan was in contact with Gtown.

Would be pretty weird to cite the article your just now writing as "published reports" in that same piece.
0 x

User avatar
adam914
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 6102
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: San Diego, CA
x 1531

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby adam914 » 10 months ago

It's starting to feel like maybe Georgetown always knew (or at least assumed) they could go to Ewing if it came down to it but took shots at much higher profile college coaches first (Smart, Brey, etc.).
3 x
"This is who we are now. Seniors will graduate and the next guys are going to step up." - Dan Hurley - March 12, 2017

User avatar
RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams
Posts: 4338
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1346

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby RhowdyRam02 » 10 months ago

Their whole process has been weird. Why wait two weeks to fire Thompson and then why wait this long to seemingly have your first in person interview with any candidate?
0 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

ramster
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 7916
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1481

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby ramster » 10 months ago

adam914 wrote:It's starting to feel like maybe Georgetown always knew (or at least assumed) they could go to Ewing if it came down to it but took shots at much higher profile college coaches first (Smart, Brey, etc.).



What you say might make sense, but it looks like you might be giving Georgetown too much credit for actually having a plan in the first place.
0 x

reef
Sly Williams
Posts: 3904
Joined: 5 years ago
x 692

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby reef » 10 months ago

What a boob this guy is for mentioning DH

Come on Ewing just take the job already
0 x

Iggy1979
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3179
Joined: 5 years ago
x 534

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby Iggy1979 » 10 months ago

Would be surprised if Cox isn't interviewed for an assistant's job at GW.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9415
Joined: 5 years ago
x 2887

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby TruePoint » 10 months ago

At GW?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011

User avatar
steviep123
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1224
Joined: 5 years ago
x 352

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby steviep123 » 10 months ago

Iggy1979 wrote:Would be surprised if Cox isn't interviewed for an assistant's job at GW.


Do you mean GT? GW is a lateral move at best.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

User avatar
STC
Art Stephenson
Posts: 956
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Quahog
x 89

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby STC » 10 months ago

giovanni wrote:https://twitter.com/officialmutombo/status/848895078110244864


There's only one thing I want to know...

Who wants to sex Mutombo?!?!
0 x

giovanni
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1227
Joined: 5 years ago
x 393

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby giovanni » 10 months ago

reef wrote:What a boob this guy is for mentioning DH

Come on Ewing just take the job already

I
Ewing has to be offered the job first. Yes, hopefully he will be and accept and have enough success to hang on for a few years if not more. Even though there were/are many in Gtown fanbase that may have wanted JT III gone, they are having a tough time of it. In reality, JT Jr is a HOF coach, but despite incredible salary, would anyone want him looking over their shoulder?
0 x

reef
Sly Williams
Posts: 3904
Joined: 5 years ago
x 692

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby reef » 10 months ago

Just hate the fact the article said DH talked to the GT search committee
0 x

User avatar
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney
Posts: 13068
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1506

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby rodfromcranston » 10 months ago

I honestly believe that this "Hurley to Georgetown" story,
is just something in the imagination of some media types.
I was also reading where some media will put a coaching buddy's name
in circulation, just to help them out.
In this case, it was about a writer tweeting about Tom Crean.
Crean has been hoping his phone would ring, but
that doesn't seem to be the case, so far.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.

Iggy1979
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3179
Joined: 5 years ago
x 534

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby Iggy1979 » 10 months ago

steviep123 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Would be surprised if Cox isn't interviewed for an assistant's job at GW.


Do you mean GT? GW is a lateral move at best.

Sorry about the typo. GT
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."

User avatar
bigappleram
Sly Williams
Posts: 4058
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1404

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby bigappleram » 10 months ago

Losing assistant coaches is part of the deal, but it would be a big loss to lose Cox.
0 x

URIRecruitingInfo
Kenny Green
Posts: 208
Joined: 1 year ago
x 76

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby URIRecruitingInfo » 10 months ago

0 x

RhodyRam2011
Abdul Fox
Posts: 27
Joined: 5 years ago
x 5

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby RhodyRam2011 » 10 months ago

3 x

User avatar
Rhodymob05
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2527
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
x 613

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby Rhodymob05 » 10 months ago

hallelujah!
1 x
RHODE ISLAND’S TEAM

User avatar
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney
Posts: 13068
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1506

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby rodfromcranston » 10 months ago

Our long national nightmare is over.
Much ado about nothing.
6 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.

Shaolin Swat
Jimmy Baron
Posts: 399
Joined: 2 years ago
x 87

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby Shaolin Swat » 10 months ago

We'll probably never know, but I'd love to know the inner workings on the search process. Seems like a lot of money was spent on a search that could have been conducted by the school with the same result.

Regardless, I'm glad to see that this search is finally over.
3 x

RhodyRam2011
Abdul Fox
Posts: 27
Joined: 5 years ago
x 5

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby RhodyRam2011 » 10 months ago

2 x

User avatar
Mongo
Jimmy Baron
Posts: 383
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Everywhere
x 147

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby Mongo » 10 months ago

Yes yes yes!!! Can now officially get excited for next season.
2 x

RI_Bred
Lamar Odom
Posts: 335
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Saunderstown
x 109

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby RI_Bred » 10 months ago

Phew.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9415
Joined: 5 years ago
x 2887

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby TruePoint » 10 months ago

I'm glad Ewing wanted the job.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011

User avatar
RF1
Sly Williams
Posts: 4499
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1061

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby RF1 » 10 months ago

Georgetown went the same route as St John's (2015) in an attempt to recapture past glory. It is however risky to hire people with no college coaching experience regardless of whether they are former college and NBA stars. If GU follows a similar path to SJU, it may take a few years to get back on track. St John's has gone 8-24 and 14-19 in Mullin's first two seasons. He has recruited well and they are expected to improve. Mullin however had to both rebuild the program and learn to be a head college coach at the same time. The Hoyas may be looking at a comparable prospect.
0 x

User avatar
bigappleram
Sly Williams
Posts: 4058
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1404

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby bigappleram » 10 months ago

Our annual ride on the carousel is now officially over. I hope you enjoyed your ride, please come back again next year.
3 x

User avatar
adam914
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 6102
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: San Diego, CA
x 1531

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby adam914 » 10 months ago

RF1 wrote:Georgetown went the same route as St John's (2015) in an attempt to recapture past glory. It is however risky to hire people with no college coaching experience regardless of whether they are former college and NBA stars. If GU follows a similar path to SJU, it may take a few years to get back on track. St John's has gone 8-24 and 14-19 in Mullin's first two seasons. He has recruited well and they are expected to improve. Mullin however had to both rebuild the program and learn to be a head college coach at the same time. The Hoyas may be looking at a comparable prospect.


I think the major difference here though is Ewing has been an assistant for some very good coaches for quite a while now. Still might be some learning curve at the college level, but in terms of pure coaching he should be ahead of Mullin at this point.
1 x
"This is who we are now. Seniors will graduate and the next guys are going to step up." - Dan Hurley - March 12, 2017

PeterRamTime
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2269
Joined: 3 years ago
x 448

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby PeterRamTime » 10 months ago

Could they have gotten anybody better than Ewing for the job? Makes the most sense. More sense than Dan Hurley at least.
Georgetowns best player ever, been coaching for a while now, and his relationship with John Thompson is less likely to be a hindrance like it could be with a coach coming in from the outside.
0 x

User avatar
Rhode_Island_Red
Art Stephenson
Posts: 854
Joined: 5 years ago
x 319

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby Rhode_Island_Red » 10 months ago

adam914 wrote:
RF1 wrote:Georgetown went the same route as St John's (2015) in an attempt to recapture past glory. It is however risky to hire people with no college coaching experience regardless of whether they are former college and NBA stars. If GU follows a similar path to SJU, it may take a few years to get back on track. St John's has gone 8-24 and 14-19 in Mullin's first two seasons. He has recruited well and they are expected to improve. Mullin however had to both rebuild the program and learn to be a head college coach at the same time. The Hoyas may be looking at a comparable prospect.


I think the major difference here though is Ewing has been an assistant for some very good coaches for quite a while now. Still might be some learning curve at the college level, but in terms of pure coaching he should be ahead of Mullin at this point.


Give him a couple of veteran college assistants and he'll be fine.
1 x

User avatar
RF1
Sly Williams
Posts: 4499
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1061

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby RF1 » 10 months ago

bigappleram wrote:Our annual ride on the carousel is now officially over. I hope you enjoyed your ride, please come back again next year.



Not exactly. The coaching carousel never stops. It just slows down from time to time.
1 x

User avatar
Rhodymob05
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2527
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
x 613

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby Rhodymob05 » 10 months ago

Just a joke but, Blueman was right...
0 x
RHODE ISLAND’S TEAM

User avatar
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney
Posts: 13068
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1506

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby rodfromcranston » 10 months ago

Again, you can't leave for a job you were never offered.
So, nobody is right or wrong, since it's a non-starter.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.

Iggy1979
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3179
Joined: 5 years ago
x 534

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby Iggy1979 » 10 months ago

Now URI will announce the extension.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9415
Joined: 5 years ago
x 2887

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby TruePoint » 10 months ago

There is no way to ever know, and I'm glad we didn't have to find out, but I will just say again that I'm happy Ewing wanted the job. If people want to pat themselves on the back for "knowing" that Hurley would never leave or for "knowing" that Hurley was of no interest to Georgetown, I say have at it. I'm glad we did not get the opportunity to find out whether you were right or not.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011

EGram
Lamar Odom
Posts: 289
Joined: 3 years ago
x 136

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby EGram » 10 months ago

Offered or not Offered. Doesn't really matter either way!

It likely helps us that Hurley gets press for being considered for these jobs at least. Informs potential recruits and BB fans that URI is rising program!
3 x

Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8943
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1404

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby Billyboy78 » 10 months ago

EGram wrote:Offered or not Offered. Doesn't really matter either way!

It likely helps us that Hurley gets press for being considered for these jobs at least. Informs potential recruits and BB fans that URI is rising program!

It also could scare them away since his name seems to be out there every year. They have to figure that eventually he's going to take one of those jobs. I'll bet that's what coaches of other teams who are recruiting against us tell the recruits.
1 x

reef
Sly Williams
Posts: 3904
Joined: 5 years ago
x 692

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby reef » 10 months ago

Ewing got 15 years of NBA assistant coaches experience. If he can get the players he should be ok
0 x

hrstrat57
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 2020
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: South County
x 438

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Postby hrstrat57 » 10 months ago

Billyboy78 wrote:It also could scare them away since his name seems to be out there every year. They have to figure that eventually he's going to take one of those jobs. I'll bet that's what coaches of other teams who are recruiting against us tell the recruits.


Completely agree / I expect Dan will address it soon
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry! **A10 Champs**


Return to “NCAAs or Bust!”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DelroyIsMyHero, Google [Bot], mrhodesnyy, R.Kelly150, ramster, Ramulous, RhodyKyle, Rhodyram, rhodyrudder, Shinze88, urirams33 and 30 guests