The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The rumor mill keeps on turning........who are these people who are saying Dan has spoken to GT?

Again, the ONLY way Dan would have any interest is if he can't get what he wants at URI.......

I'm sure Thorr and Dooley want the same thing....but can they afford it?
1 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

The writer looks like he just did a lousy job sourcing. Sadly this is pretty normal nowadays and sports journalism is probably a few cuts above political/social journalism for instance.

No published reports Dan has talked to Georgetown whatsoever.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

silive is usually a good source....but have to question this one.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Woj is generally pretty tuned in to the NBA scene. If Ewing has been identifying assistant coaches to bring to Georgetown, I'd guess that there will be a formal offer made to him sometime later today or tomorrow.

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hopefully Cox with his DC connections isn't on Ewing's radar....they could offer multiple times what David makes here.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
Rooke couldn't wait to retreat this. What an ass.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote:
Again, the ONLY way Dan would have any interest is if he can't get what he wants at URI.......
I don't know why you would assume this.
EGram wrote: No published reports Dan has talked to Georgetown whatsoever.
This is a published report.

As I said yesterday, I hope Ewing wants the job. That he's been looking for a staff is encouraging, but I guess it depends on how that search is going and what he hears from the Georgetown people today.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, true, I can't assume that.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Multiple NCAAT appearances are NOT guaranteed in the next few years.......Dan has a lot of recruiting to do, to get the players needed for that to happen.....Thorr and Dooley know that and are probably not likely to give Dan the keys to the city quite yet.....

Although a larger recruiting budget is a must, other items might have to be doled out in more of a gradual manner.
It is true that nothing is guaranteed, but you're wrong to suggest that URI is holding anything back. They may not be able to do everything this year, but the reasons for that are financial. Maybe you'd like them to take a "show-me" approach, but the administration is sold on the coach and they were even before the NCAA appearance. That just validated their opinion. Further, the things that Dan asks for as part of these "extensions" are viewed as investments in the program, not rewards for performance. The athletic department will fight and beg for every penny they can to get as many of the items done as possible.
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They are going to do what they can for sure, TP.

Everybody has doubts.....mine is hopefully Dan gets what he needs on the recruiting trail.

Starting this week and especially this fall.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Shaolin Swat wrote:Woj is generally pretty tuned in to the NBA scene. If Ewing has been identifying assistant coaches to bring to Georgetown, I'd guess that there will be a formal offer made to him sometime later today or tomorrow.
My impression throughout this has been that Ewing will take the job if they offer it to him. He's been vocal about wanting an NBA head coaching opportunity for years, but it hasn't come to be, so it's not hard to imagine that a premier college job would entice him. I don't think Georgetown had the same initial interest in him, judging from the rumors that leaked out about Smart, etc.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

TruePoint wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:
I don't know why you would assume this.
EGram wrote: No published reports Dan has talked to Georgetown whatsoever.
This is a published report.

Sounds to me like he is saying published reports have previously said Dan was in contact with Gtown.

Would be pretty weird to cite the article your just now writing as "published reports" in that same piece.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

It's starting to feel like maybe Georgetown always knew (or at least assumed) they could go to Ewing if it came down to it but took shots at much higher profile college coaches first (Smart, Brey, etc.).
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Their whole process has been weird. Why wait two weeks to fire Thompson and then why wait this long to seemingly have your first in person interview with any candidate?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:It's starting to feel like maybe Georgetown always knew (or at least assumed) they could go to Ewing if it came down to it but took shots at much higher profile college coaches first (Smart, Brey, etc.).

What you say might make sense, but it looks like you might be giving Georgetown too much credit for actually having a plan in the first place.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What a boob this guy is for mentioning DH

Come on Ewing just take the job already
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Would be surprised if Cox isn't interviewed for an assistant's job at GW.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

At GW?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Would be surprised if Cox isn't interviewed for an assistant's job at GW.
Do you mean GT? GW is a lateral move at best.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

giovanni wrote:
There's only one thing I want to know...

Who wants to sex Mutombo?!?!
Last edited by STC 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

reef wrote:What a boob this guy is for mentioning DH

Come on Ewing just take the job already
I
Ewing has to be offered the job first. Yes, hopefully he will be and accept and have enough success to hang on for a few years if not more. Even though there were/are many in Gtown fanbase that may have wanted JT III gone, they are having a tough time of it. In reality, JT Jr is a HOF coach, but despite incredible salary, would anyone want him looking over their shoulder?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just hate the fact the article said DH talked to the GT search committee
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I honestly believe that this "Hurley to Georgetown" story,
is just something in the imagination of some media types.
I was also reading where some media will put a coaching buddy's name
in circulation, just to help them out.
In this case, it was about a writer tweeting about Tom Crean.
Crean has been hoping his phone would ring, but
that doesn't seem to be the case, so far.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Would be surprised if Cox isn't interviewed for an assistant's job at GW.
Do you mean GT? GW is a lateral move at best.
Sorry about the typo. GT
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Losing assistant coaches is part of the deal, but it would be a big loss to lose Cox.
0 x
RhodyRam2011
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyRam2011 »

3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

hallelujah!
1 x
GO RAMS
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Our long national nightmare is over.
Much ado about nothing.
6 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

We'll probably never know, but I'd love to know the inner workings on the search process. Seems like a lot of money was spent on a search that could have been conducted by the school with the same result.

Regardless, I'm glad to see that this search is finally over.
3 x
RhodyRam2011
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyRam2011 »

2 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Yes yes yes!!! Can now officially get excited for next season.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Phew.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm glad Ewing wanted the job.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Georgetown went the same route as St John's (2015) in an attempt to recapture past glory. It is however risky to hire people with no college coaching experience regardless of whether they are former college and NBA stars. If GU follows a similar path to SJU, it may take a few years to get back on track. St John's has gone 8-24 and 14-19 in Mullin's first two seasons. He has recruited well and they are expected to improve. Mullin however had to both rebuild the program and learn to be a head college coach at the same time. The Hoyas may be looking at a comparable prospect.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Our annual ride on the carousel is now officially over. I hope you enjoyed your ride, please come back again next year.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote:Georgetown went the same route as St John's (2015) in an attempt to recapture past glory. It is however risky to hire people with no college coaching experience regardless of whether they are former college and NBA stars. If GU follows a similar path to SJU, it may take a few years to get back on track. St John's has gone 8-24 and 14-19 in Mullin's first two seasons. He has recruited well and they are expected to improve. Mullin however had to both rebuild the program and learn to be a head college coach at the same time. The Hoyas may be looking at a comparable prospect.
I think the major difference here though is Ewing has been an assistant for some very good coaches for quite a while now. Still might be some learning curve at the college level, but in terms of pure coaching he should be ahead of Mullin at this point.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Could they have gotten anybody better than Ewing for the job? Makes the most sense. More sense than Dan Hurley at least.
Georgetowns best player ever, been coaching for a while now, and his relationship with John Thompson is less likely to be a hindrance like it could be with a coach coming in from the outside.
Last edited by PeterRamTime 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

adam914 wrote:
RF1 wrote:Georgetown went the same route as St John's (2015) in an attempt to recapture past glory. It is however risky to hire people with no college coaching experience regardless of whether they are former college and NBA stars. If GU follows a similar path to SJU, it may take a few years to get back on track. St John's has gone 8-24 and 14-19 in Mullin's first two seasons. He has recruited well and they are expected to improve. Mullin however had to both rebuild the program and learn to be a head college coach at the same time. The Hoyas may be looking at a comparable prospect.
I think the major difference here though is Ewing has been an assistant for some very good coaches for quite a while now. Still might be some learning curve at the college level, but in terms of pure coaching he should be ahead of Mullin at this point.
Give him a couple of veteran college assistants and he'll be fine.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote:Our annual ride on the carousel is now officially over. I hope you enjoyed your ride, please come back again next year.

Not exactly. The coaching carousel never stops. It just slows down from time to time.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Just a joke but, Blueman was right...
0 x
GO RAMS
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Again, you can't leave for a job you were never offered.
So, nobody is right or wrong, since it's a non-starter.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Now URI will announce the extension.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

There is no way to ever know, and I'm glad we didn't have to find out, but I will just say again that I'm happy Ewing wanted the job. If people want to pat themselves on the back for "knowing" that Hurley would never leave or for "knowing" that Hurley was of no interest to Georgetown, I say have at it. I'm glad we did not get the opportunity to find out whether you were right or not.
4 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Offered or not Offered. Doesn't really matter either way!

It likely helps us that Hurley gets press for being considered for these jobs at least. Informs potential recruits and BB fans that URI is rising program!
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

EGram wrote:Offered or not Offered. Doesn't really matter either way!

It likely helps us that Hurley gets press for being considered for these jobs at least. Informs potential recruits and BB fans that URI is rising program!
It also could scare them away since his name seems to be out there every year. They have to figure that eventually he's going to take one of those jobs. I'll bet that's what coaches of other teams who are recruiting against us tell the recruits.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ewing got 15 years of NBA assistant coaches experience. If he can get the players he should be ok
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Billyboy78 wrote: It also could scare them away since his name seems to be out there every year. They have to figure that eventually he's going to take one of those jobs. I'll bet that's what coaches of other teams who are recruiting against us tell the recruits.
Completely agree / I expect Dan will address it soon
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!