The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by steviep123 »

Whenever i see tweets like those, I simply respond with, "Let's just leave Dan Hurley at Rhode Island where he belongs. Thanks."
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Let's not forget that the NCAA takes forever to conduct their investigations and issue any penalties. Then the penalized school can appeal any penalties so it should be a long time before the UCONN situation is resolved. In the meantime there is a very dark cloud and uncertainty hanging over the program which makes coaching there far from an appealing job.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah this situation doesn't worry me in the slightest. UConn is a mess right now and not an attractive job at the moment, definitely not a threat to steal our beloved coach
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Bobby just got a nice 5 year extension at Az. State.
3 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Probably has an out for him if the Duke job opens ??
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basket ... ruce-pearl

Nothing to do with the Carousel but didn't see another appropriate landing spot for this. I certainly don't think DH will end up near the top of this list, but he's more than deserving of his spot on it!
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Coach info, kind of...

0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Arizona State, Hurley agree to 1-year contract extension
The Associated PressJan 31 2018, 7:10 PM

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) Arizona State and basketball coach Bobby Hurley have agreed to a one-year contract extension that increases his compensation and runs through 2023.

The Arizona Board of Regents must approve the contract.

Hurley will receive a raise of $700,000 to $2.1 million this July and a signing bonus of $700,000 within 45 days of the contract's approval. He will receive raises of $100,000 in 2019 and 2020, $200,000 in 2021.

Hurley also will get a $1 million retention bonus on Jan. 1, 2022.

Arizona State reached No. 3 in the AP Top 25 this season, matching the program's highest ranking, after going 12-0 in nonconference. The Sun Devils (16-5) have stumbled a bit in Pac-12 play at 4-5, but are in position for their first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2014.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Ollie will be evaluated after this season, according to the UConn AD......not looking good in Husky Land.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote:Ollie will be evaluated after this season, according to the UConn AD......not looking good in Husky Land.
I think I saw a fork sticking out of his back through his jacket at the last game....
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Could there be a Coaching change at Bryant?
Tim O'Shea's team is now 2-24 (1-12) with a 9 game losing streak after last night's 20 point loss at Wagner
Not many years ago some posters wanted URI to play Bryant
How things have changed
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Right now if I were Dan, I wouldn't pay 10 cents to play them.....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I never would have, ever, played them
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:Could there be a Coaching change at Bryant?
Tim O'Shea's team is now 2-24 (1-12) with a 9 game losing streak after last night's 20 point loss at Wagner
Not many years ago some posters wanted URI to play Bryant
How things have changed

O'Shea, at Bryant since 2008, signed a contract extension in 2013 which has him locked up through 2020. My guess is the Bryant contract is heavily weighted on guaranteed salary with some incentives. Bryant would have to eat two years of the contract were it to fire him now. My guess is that this would amount to upwards of 500k. Not sure about the resources of Bryant to absorb this cost.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

On the other side, Bashir Mason is really getting it done at Wagner. I’d love for them to make the tournament, which is so hard in a one bid conference. He had a rough season in his 3rd year when he lost a lot of the guys that Dan had recruited, but he’s really found his footing as a coach. He’s in his 6th year as a head coach and still really young- almost 34. Plus, he only had the two years as Dan’s assistant before getting his former job.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

... before he gets fired. He’s only in his mid50s.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote:... before he gets fired. He’s only in his mid50s.
Exactly. Good move by Bryant to get the job opening out there early on.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

My guess is that it is mutual decision with some buyout by Bryant. O'Shea (aged 55) had a few more years on his contract.

How long will it be before there is a Hurley to Bryant post on the PC forum?
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Definitely a buyout negotiation to get this done now rather than end of term.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Yup. He brought in good talent at the start but couldn't follow up after the 1st wave graduated
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Wonder what O'Shea will do now. He is still young at 55. Lives in an historic house in downtown Newport with his URI alum wife. Has probably made some decent money at Ohio U and Bryant head gigs but it is not likely enough to completely retire at his age.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RF1 wrote:My guess is that it is mutual decision with some buyout by Bryant. O'Shea (aged 55) had a few more years on his contract.

How long will it be before there is a Hurley to Bryant post on the PC forum?
They aren’t THAT stupid are they?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

This looks like a great opportunity for Preston Murphy if they choose to go with a major D1 assistant. He looks to be ready for a low major job.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would think O Shea with all his experience would be a nice Assistant coach somewhere if that's what he wants ???
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:This looks like a great opportunity for Preston Murphy if they choose to go with a major D1 assistant. He looks to be ready for a low major job.
Would Tom Moore be a candidate or would he want a bigger opportunity?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Bryant will be an interesting watch......but let’s not schedule them.......would like to see them hire the coach looking to go up rather than the coach failed at higher program......reference LIU with Kellogg......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Moore is set to make another 500K next season...he isn't going anywhere.....but after that he might leave especially if URI doesn't bump up his regular salary....which I think they will do, but nowhere near 500K of course....

I think the assistants' pool has to jump big time to keep Cox and Moore around much longer.....imo Cox should be making at least 300K and Moore at least 200.....what's the pool now? Around 450K? Needs to go to at least 600-650.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody74 wrote:
Cameron_Dollar wrote:This looks like a great opportunity for Preston Murphy if they choose to go with a major D1 assistant. He looks to be ready for a low major job.
Taking the Bryant job would be the same as going back to Quinnipiac.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

They should look at TJ Sorrentine, Brown assistant, former local star. For a school like Bryant I would always go with young and hungry candidates.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote:They should look at TJ Sorrentine, Brown assistant, former local star. For a school like Bryant I would always go with young and hungry candidates.

He is exactly who I was thinking about as well. Pawtucket native and current resident, SRA grad, and former UVM star (I was at the Centrum to see him hit that center court three which helped beat Syracuse). Has been an assistant at Brown since 2008. Current associate head coach. Approximately 34 years old. Seems to fit the bill for a job like Bryant.
2 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

just saying the name TJ Sorrentine brings up a lot of good memories. those UVM teams were fun!
1 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:
Bryant is about three levels below Quinnipiac.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bigsnoop wrote:
Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
Rhody74 wrote: Would Tom Moore be a candidate or would he want a bigger opportunity?

RPIs Today out of 351 Total Teams. Bryant and Maine are in a battle

279 Quinnipiac (9-17)
337 Bryant (3-24)
338 Maine (4-21)
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:
Bigsnoop wrote:
Rhode_Island_Red wrote:

RPIs Today out of 351 Total Teams. Bryant and Maine are in a battle

279 Quinnipiac (9-17)
337 Bryant (3-24)
338 Maine (4-21)

That is why I don't think current Maine and former RIC head coach Bob Walsh will get much consideration for Bryant.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Preston's recruiting success and experience in real D1 basketball makes him a far better candidate for Bryant than Sorrentine. Bryant may fool everybody and reach even higher. They are all about winning there, have the best facilities in the conference and a President who is totally on board with the athletic department. Their short term goal is gaining acceptance to The MAAC Conference. Based on what they have done with Lacrosse, Baseball and Football, I would not sell them short. Besides, the Brown Staff could be in trouble.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I have to believe Preston is waiting for something better.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody74 wrote:I have to believe Preston is waiting for something better.
But if he could go there, get a couple of Michigan recruits, get a couple of New England recruits and turn that program around, that would set him up nicely for his next head coaching job. Kind of the same thinking with what Dan did at Wagner.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody74 wrote:I have to believe Preston is waiting for something better.

I would agree. The Bryant head coaching job may not even offer more pay than he currently gets as an assistant at Creighton. Furthermore, the COL is much lower in Omaha. The Bryant job is tough. Might not be worth the risk for a higher profile school assistant.
1 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Both Murph and TJ Sorrentine make good sense from a Bryant perspective
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

I'm pretty sure Murphy makes more than O'Shea. If he thinks he can win there, the experience would be worth it, though
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

In the immortal words of Mo Vaughn. It's not about the money. But in actuality he would make more. Sneaker money, camps, coaches show and incentives can put him at 250k. Probably close to what he is making now. Bryant is a thriving university with a lot of potential and can surely pay above the average NEC pay grade. Sometimes one needs to show that he or she can do more than recruit. This job would give him that opportunity. He has been at URI< BC and Creighton. That is a very strong resume. I would say Sorrentine makes about 75k and his resume is nowhere near Preston's. For what it's worth when a certain job opens up in Kingston, Preston will have a lot of alumni and donor support. That you can take to the bank.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

They probably can't get anyone better. Sounds like another situation similar to Pitt, even though Jamie Dixon's success was MUCH higher.
URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Murphy left URI to become an assistant at BC for a reported 250K per year back in 2014. My guess is that Creighton offered him an even higher salary to leave BC. He likely makes above 300k these days out in Omaha, a city with a low cost of living relative to the northeast.

I would be very surprised if Bryant paid O'Shea more than about 250K for a total compensation package including incentives. Can't envision them going a lot higher given their revenue constraints.

http://www.independentri.com/independen ... 7d4c1.html
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Plus Murph spent almost half of his life in RI so he may want to get his first head job in this state
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

PM would be great get for Bryant.

Maybe we’d finally give D1 Bryant a game....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......Playing Bryant.......uuuuummmm no......we need to keep scheduling up.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:Preston's recruiting success and experience in real D1 basketball makes him a far better candidate for Bryant than Sorrentine. Bryant may fool everybody and reach even higher. They are all about winning there, have the best facilities in the conference and a President who is totally on board with the athletic department. Their short term goal is gaining acceptance to The MAAC Conference. Based on what they have done with Lacrosse, Baseball and Football, I would not sell them short. Besides, the Brown Staff could be in trouble.
A few questionable conclusions drawn in this post, but the above sentence in bold is just patently false. Brown could reach the Ivy League playoff this year and will be among the favorites to do so next season. Desmond Cambridge is as good as any player in the conference, and most of Brown's talent returns. Mike Martin is an alum who has a longer leash than most, and he's turning the corner.

As far as Bryant having the best facilities in the NEC, that might be true for baseball and football. It's not true for basketball. Chace Center is in need of renovations -- like basic chairback seats.
3 x