The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, how about this for a plan. The top player in '20 is Jabri Abdur-Rahim. He plays for Seton Hall Prep and is from West Orange, New Jersey. Bob Hurley, Sr. goes there for his next coaching job. So, in consecutive classes from '19-'21 we get Carey, Abdur-Rahim and Clarke. What a plan!
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

It's all coming together!
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Carey has deep ties to Coral Gables
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Are you guys on serious?
You think a guy run out of town for lying
to Thorr, is going to somehow deliver the
number on player to URI?
Same guy who couldn't even get a juco target to visit?
Just preposterous.
Also, how many players did Bob Sr. send to URI from
St. Anthony's? ZERO.
So, he somehow going to deliver a top talent from
a job that he doesn't even have?
Pass the bong.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Are you guys on serious?
number on player to URI?
Just preposterous.
St. Anthony's? ZERO.
Pass the bong.
Rod - i don't think any of the comments above were serious
5 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah, not even close to being serious. Just trying to have some fun.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Are you guys on serious?
number on player to URI?
Just preposterous.
St. Anthony's? ZERO.
Pass the bong.
No, I wasn't serious. Although I would like to get in on Terrance Clarke of Expressions, possibly the best high school freshman in the country. But, I was definitely kidding about Carr and Bob Sr.
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sorry guys.
Someday the internet will come out with a sarcasm font
and a joking font.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Sorry guys.
Someday the internet will come out with a sarcasm font
and a joking font.
Ha yeah, no worries. There is enough crazy shit posted around here to make it hard to tell sometimes anyway!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

New guy on the staff.
https://twitter.com/Tripp_Doherty
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:New guy on the staff.
https://twitter.com/Tripp_Doherty
Andover, MA native. Was on Harvard staff for 3 yrs. Last position there as video coordinator. Alumnus of Fairfield.

http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mbkb/co ... p?view=bio
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Odd career move by Simon.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

That move seems to be beyond desperate. Orono is in the middle of nowhere with brutal winters.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Speaking of U.Maine,
I saw a billboard here, that said,
"Attend U Maine for URI in-state costs".
Interesting.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

It is my understanding that since the 70s the University of Maine has offered Rhode Island residents that deal for certain programs that URI does not offer.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

KevanBoyles wrote:It is my understanding that since the 70s the University of Maine has offered Rhode Island residents that deal for certain programs that URI does not offer.
It was reciprocal among New England land grant colleges. I dated a dental hygiene student from NH who paid instate tuition because UNH didn't offer it.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Speaking of U.Maine,
I saw a billboard here, that said,
"Attend U Maine for URI in-state costs".
Interesting.
UMaine is quite desperate for applications, seeing declining enrollment mostly due to their lack of a desireable location and a lot of young people leaving the northeast in general. In response to this problem, they are now offering to match in-state tuition for residents of all New England states, and also a couple other outliers that send a lot of students to the northeast like California and Illinois.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I disagree that people are leaving the northeast, BOSTON is exploding.
1 x
GO RAMS
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Rhody74 wrote:
KevanBoyles wrote:It is my understanding that since the 70s the University of Maine has offered Rhode Island residents that deal for certain programs that URI does not offer.
It was reciprocal among New England land grant colleges. I dated a dental hygiene student from NH who paid instate tuition because UNH didn't offer it.
Yeah I was Ocean Engineering and all the kids from Mass, Connecticut, etc were paying in state tuition becasue its not offered in their states
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:I disagree that people are leaving the northeast, BOSTON is exploding.
That may be true with regards to Boston, but speaking in terms of raw numbers of students graduating from high school (which is the number that concerns those involved in higher education admission), New England has been producing fewer HS grads from year to year over the past 5-10 years and that trend is anticipated to continue.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Looks like the carousel could be getting very active in the coming days and weeks.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Billyboy78 wrote:Looks like the carousel could be getting very active in the coming days and weeks.
I think we're going to wind up seeing a lot of interim coaches this year. At this point, I doubt we see any head coaches switch jobs
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Especially anyone going to Louisville without knowing the penalties and also whether they are hit with the NCAA "death penalty" which is really warranted. The fans can remember Ricky P as they try to recover from the "death penalty" which will take a while.

Whatever is required to get Pinto thrown out of the Hall of Fame should be started immediately!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Shaolin Swat wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Looks like the carousel could be getting very active in the coming days and weeks.
I think we're going to wind up seeing a lot of interim coaches this year. At this point, I doubt we see any head coaches switch jobs
I agree we'll see interim coaches, but who do you go with if you're Louisville? Normally you'd elevate an assistant, but you can't do that because which one, if any, is clean?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Shaolin Swat wrote:
I agree we'll see interim coaches, but who do you go with if you're Louisville? Normally you'd elevate an assistant, but you can't do that because which one, if any, is clean?
I'm sure Louisville at least internally knows which assistants were directly implicated in the allegations, even if the names have not officially come out yet. If there are any assistants still clean (I believe from reading the details that at least two were involved in this specific case) then I'd have to imagine that the last man standing would be elevated to interim HC.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Shaolin Swat wrote:
That’s a good question and I don’t have the slightest clue what they’d do. If they completely clean house, which they should do, I thought about maybe a currently unemployed coach (like a Tom Crean or Thad Matta). But I’ve got to believe that guys like that are not interested in a job that could get absolutely hammered with sanctions and would rather take the year off and take a different job next year.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I think this is the second time I've heard Matta mentioned, is he healthy enough to coach? They'd probably be best off hiring a well respected older coach that could shepherd the program through the next three to five years before they can resume normal function. The problem is what person would be ok with that job that the fans would accept. Plus the coach would have to be squeaky clean.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Which coaches around the country are clean.....imagine Louisville hiring someone only to find out down the road that he was implicated in this wide reaching investigation....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'll do it for 650K.......
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Food for thought.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... aches-rise Level up: College basketball coaches on the rise
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Where's Cooley?
You gotta think that Baron at URI killed Schmidt's chances of moving on.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

KevanBoyles wrote:Food for thought.

https://www.thescore.com/s/2367699 Level up: College basketball coaches on the rise
As long as Hurley is successful at URI, his name will be brought up. We need to get used to it.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The only way be become Gonzaga of the East is to pay a coach who is successful Power 5 money. Like McDermott.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah but can we do that ??
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

KevanBoyles wrote:Food for thought.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... aches-rise Level up: College basketball coaches on the rise

We have one of the coaches and play five of the other 14 coaches listed.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

ESPN Coaches On The Rise

Unread post by The Dude »

Saw this article that simply gives a opinion as to the top up and coming coaches in college basketball. The article is nothing special, but mentions Dan, so figured I'd post it. If this has already been shared and I'm once again late to the party on this one, feel free to remove the post/topic mods.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... aches-rise
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

https://www.thescore.com/news/1416026

Huggins contract extension.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Did t know where to put this but it sounds like an interesting show and interview with Bobby Knight

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bob-knight ... 23464.html
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Charlotte's harebrained decision to invest in BCS football has been even worse for them than UMass's harebrained decision to invest in BCS football, which was even worse than UConn's harebrained decision to invest in BCS football. At least in UMass's case, the decision didn't completely cost them their basketball program. Villanova is looking brilliant right now for resisting the temptation and continuing to be a good program at the FCS level rather than investing a ton of money to become an at-best-mediocre program at the BCS level while jeopardizing the stability of their basketball program.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody74 wrote:Wow, that's a quick hook:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports ... 35574.html

Price's son Hudson was on the team and has immediately requested his release. Price's daughter is also employed by the Charlotte Athletic Dept as an assistant coach of a women's sport. Messy situation all around.
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

TruePoint wrote:Charlotte's harebrained decision to invest in BCS football has been even worse for them than UMass's harebrained decision to invest in BCS football, which was even worse than UConn's harebrained decision to invest in BCS football. At least in UMass's case, the decision didn't completely cost them their basketball program. Villanova is looking brilliant right now for resisting the temptation and continuing to be a good program at the FCS level rather than investing a ton of money to become an at-best-mediocre program at the BCS level while jeopardizing the stability of their basketball program.
In a moment of christmas spirit, I will say Uconn going to BCS football made total sense at the time it was made. they had an auto accept into a BCS conference with an autobid to a major bowl (which they took advantage of one year).

What UConn did that was harebrained was piss off VaTech, Miami and particuarly BC as they were leaving the Big East for the ACC. That was enough to cost them from ever going to the ACC, which they would of been a more natural expansion target for.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Not exactly true, UConn's fatal mistake was to let the State's Attorney General at the time, Richard Blumenthal, sue the ACC when BC exited the Big East to join that conference.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Charlottes a program that's really fallen off the cliff
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I think Charlotte will be back....
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I think Charlotte will be back....

Not for as long as they are a member of the current CUSA.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Where have you gone Bobby Lutz ??
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

reef wrote:Where have you gone Bobby Lutz ??
The answer to that question is: The Windy City Bulls of the NBDL, where he is an assistant coach. Ouch.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bryant loses to St Francis at home to go to (1-14). 416 fans witnessed the game.
Tim O'Shea is in his 10th season at Bryant - is the seat getting warm?
2 of his best players transferred to Nevada at the end of last season.
1 x