The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by Blue Man »

11:22

"is dan hurley interested in jobs like the georgetown job?"
"no."

If we don't trust me, can we just trust Dan?
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

BlueMan, I don't want too argue the point too much because I think at this point it is obviously more likely he is back than it is that he goes just based on the probabilities. But the thing I am cautioning about is that literally hundreds of fan bases have gone down this road before. It's hard to make this case without sounding like I am calling Dan a shifty untrustworthy weasel, but I'm honestly not doing that. This is the game, and that is how it is played.

Until that Georgetown job has someone else's name on it, I think it would be foolish to assume there is no chance your coach could get tapped for it. That is regardless of anything he has said in public or private, short of telling the Georgetown people to lose his number.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote:

11:22

"is dan hurley interested in jobs like the georgetown job?"
"no."

If we don't trust me, can we just trust Dan?
Not until the parents say we're going to Disney!
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Depending on the timing of this, I wonder if this had any impact on the UMass/Kelsey situation
Last edited by Shaolin Swat 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Shaolin Swat wrote:

Depending on the timing of this, I wonder if this had any impact on the UMass/Kelsey situation

That would mean they reached out to two of the coaches of the other nine schools in their conference (Mack and Cooley). So much for new Big East solidarity.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
O(+>
Jim Eitner

Unread post by O(+> »

Providence should be scared. Georgetown's throwing that conference unity thing out the window. They'll take your girl.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Updated Georgetown Coaching Search Targets as of 03/31/17:

Jay Wright
Greg McDermott
Chris Mullin
Kevin Willard
Chris Holtmann
Steve Wojciechowski
Dave Leitao

Previously Eliminated:
Chris Mack
Ed Cooley
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:Updated Georgetown Coaching Search Targets as of 03/31/17:

Jay Wright
Greg McDermott
Chris Mullin
Kevin Willard
Chris Holtmann
Steve Wojciechowski
Dave Leitao

Previously Eliminated:
Chris Mack
Ed Cooley
lol
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He wouldn't schedule this if he was going anywhere, would he? Would this be the last or 2nd last nail in the coffin of the speculation?
Friday Night Show.png
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Weekdays at 7:30 on myRITV, Midnight on FOX Providence

Link to watch online (likely not available until it airs first):
http://foxprovidence.com/category/local ... e-of-mind/
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Or "An Evening With Dan Hurley" events in April in Boston, NY, & Providence
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The other end of the spectrum here - how bad/desperate does Georgetown look right now?

For a program that sees themselves as elite - to get publicly turned down by some big name coaches with a $4 mil/year figure flying around, no matter what programs they may be in charge of, that's a bad look.

How do you fire a legend at your school like that without an immediate succession plan in place? Makes it look personal/spiteful and not basketball related. Might be a factor in why so many are staying away.

Job security is a big factor in this industry. Firing the coach of the year in your league from 4 years ago, 3x conference regular season champ, 1x tourney champ, 2 years removed from an NCAA tournament birth and win... 2 sweet 16's, 1 final four, 5 2nd round appearances - 8 total appearances in 13 years, postseason playin 11 of them. 9 NCAA wins. Winning NCAA record. Idk man...if I'm happy at my school why would I go somewhere with potentially higher expectations and the same or less resources with academics to consider while recruiting?

This may not be the plum job everyone is making it out to be. Maybe after the next coach takes some bullets it will be, but certainly doesn't seem plum this go around.
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:He wouldn't schedule this if he was going anywhere, would he? Would this be the last or 2nd last nail in the coffin of the speculation?

Friday Night Show.png
At this point I feel like I have to respond to this type of thing, but I just want to make clear I am not predicting the coach will leave, and I am definitely not hoping the coach will leave. I just feel like this is a situation where people have convinced themselves there is a 100% chance of something that there is only a 75% chance of (just making up numbers here, then percentages are illustrative). Three out of four times you will be right and congratulate yourself about "knowing it all along" and one time out of four you will get a stunning kick to the gut.

To answer your question, unless he KNOWS he is leaving, he would keep doing his job the same as he normally would until he submits his resignation. I actually went through this myself right around the start of the basketball season. I didn't start not showing up to things or blowing clients off at my old firm; I sold work for the firm and helped out my coworkers right up until the last day I was on the job. In college basketball, it's probably even more important. If you stop doing your job right now because you could possibly maybe take a different job, you leave potential opportunities on the board that you could improve your situation in the event that you end up staying put.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Blue Man wrote:The other end of the spectrum here - how bad/desperate does Georgetown look right now?

For a program that sees themselves as elite - to get publicly turned down by some big name coaches with a $4 mil/year figure flying around, no matter what programs they may be in charge of, that's a bad look.

How do you fire a legend at your school like that without an immediate succession plan in place? Makes it look personal/spiteful and not basketball related. Might be a factor in why so many are staying away.

Job security is a big factor in this industry. Firing the coach of the year in your league from 4 years ago, 3x conference regular season champ, 1x tourney champ, 2 years removed from an NCAA tournament birth and win... 2 sweet 16's, 1 final four, 5 2nd round appearances - 8 total appearances in 13 years, postseason playin 11 of them. 9 NCAA wins. Winning NCAA record. Idk man...if I'm happy at my school why would I go somewhere with potentially higher expectations and the same or less resources with academics to consider while recruiting?

This may not be the plum job everyone is making it out to be. Maybe after the next coach takes some bullets it will be, but certainly doesn't seem plum this go around.

The Georgetown job also comes with a full-time basketball consultant (JT2) that will be at every practice and game to impart advice and instruction. What more could a new coach want?
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Georgetown played their last game on March 8th. Thompson wasn't let go until March 23rd. Going 8 days (and counting) without hiring a coach isn't awful; but, with the way that initial timeline falls, did they make informal overtures and think they had someone who ended up not working out? I know firing a Thompson at Georgetown is a big deal, but that's a lot of lag time.

I'm all for Ewing, just like I was all for Mullin at St. John's. Entertaining, if nothing else.

These are the jobs that are currently still open. I definitely think they're going to get someone good, but they really stick out on this list.

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Wow, UCONN is a mess. Kids transferring, assistant coach getting fired and now prized recruit Ashton-Langford decomitting. I wonder how long before that job opens up?
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Georgetown is still shooting high. Using the big money to try and get a top level coach that has a winning program. So far they are 0 for 3. I do think this could eventually work. This is not the catergory Dan is in. Dan is the next level below - up and coming coach at a mid major. They will not need to pay thst level coach $3-4 million.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

ace wrote:Georgetown played their last game on March 8th. Thompson wasn't let go until March 23rd. Going 8 days (and counting) without hiring a coach isn't awful; but, with the way that initial timeline falls, did they make informal overtures and think they had someone who ended up not working out? I know firing a Thompson at Georgetown is a big deal, but that's a lot of lag time.

I'm all for Ewing, just like I was all for Mullin at St. John's. Entertaining, if nothing else.
For what it's worth, Tom Crean was just on PTI... and I can't help but feel like the "next job" and coaching questions they just asked him were underhands for him to get on the soap box of why he's valuable. When asked about the G'town opening he specifically just said he doesn't want to be a coach of a team he has to "campaign" to get a job at... but at the same time was talking about how willing he is to learn and be "guided" in his next opportunity.

Can't help but feel like that was him saying, "I don't care of JT2 is up my ass, I'll still take that job."

I know Crean hasn't been a favorable name in the race for a coach over there but the list of suitors is shrinking... I wonder if they're circling back around toward him given the situation quoted. Time is becoming a factor. If all else fails, I could easily see them offering Crean a short-term contract and see how it works out.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Not sure how you can say they are shooting for top level coaches right now if you are including Cooley and not Dan, Dan has won as many NCAA games as Cooley and has a better winning percentage in the tourney :D
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Tom Crean will probably either coach next year at Georgetown or at the school where the next Georgetown coach comes from (assuming it isn't Patrick Ewing). At least if he wants to coach next year. The rest of the open jobs on the list posted above isn't super inspiring.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

GT can hire whomever they want unless it's our guy
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I still say they get Cooley if they pop $4m annual....

Cannot say no.
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Well, if they're going after Mack at 4 million a year,
they're aiming high.
Not to say Mack will take it, but he's clearly far ahead
of Hurley in the resume category.
My guess is this is like St. John's redux.
Much about him leaving for a job, that was never offered
to him.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

And Cooley is still ahead of Dan there too...he's been to 4 NCAAT's in a row.....Dan has some catching up to do.

57, Cooley has taken his name out of the running....and Dan isn't even on their list...he may have been, but not anymore.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

the_one_mike wrote:
ace wrote:Georgetown played their last game on March 8th. Thompson wasn't let go until March 23rd. Going 8 days (and counting) without hiring a coach isn't awful; but, with the way that initial timeline falls, did they make informal overtures and think they had someone who ended up not working out? I know firing a Thompson at Georgetown is a big deal, but that's a lot of lag time.

For what it's worth, Tom Crean was just on PTI... and I can't help but feel like the "next job" and coaching questions they just asked him were underhands for him to get on the soap box of why he's valuable. When asked about the G'town opening he specifically just said he doesn't want to be a coach of a team he has to "campaign" to get a job at... but at the same time was talking about how willing he is to learn and be "guided" in his next opportunity.

Can't help but feel like that was him saying, "I don't care of JT2 is up my ass, I'll still take that job."

I know Crean hasn't been a favorable name in the race for a coach over there but the list of suitors is shrinking... I wonder if they're circling back around toward him given the situation quoted. Time is becoming a factor. If all else fails, I could easily see them offering Crean a short-term contract and see how it works out.
I'm not sure any fired coach has ever gotten as much positive press as Crean has. There's a lot of articles like this out there now, which good for him, I guess. He does seem like a decent enough guy. I thought it was a nice gesture for him to go to the IU women's basketball game at Assembly Hall after he was fired. Crean just did a podcast episode with Seth Davis that was a good listen, too.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/co ... /99863548/
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rod you keep bringing up the fact that he wasn't officially offered the St Johns job like it was all a media construction and he was never a factor there. They targeted Mullin and Hurley, and they chose Mullin. If Mullin had said no, Hurley very well may have ended up there (or maybe not, who's to say?). It's the same situation here, only the first three people they've targeted have all apparently said no. How far down the list do they have to go before they get to Hurley?

Also, you keep saying that you can't say no to a job that you haven't been offered, but that's not true:

Team: would you be interested in interviewing for our job?

Coach: No.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

With each interview and appearance, Dan makes it more unlikely that he will soon be leaving. He would come off as a complete hypocrite if he were to go given his recent words. It is not an iron clad statement but it does give off an unmistakable implication (staying). I think Dan is genuine and not a slickster like a Pitino that talks through both side of his mouth. I therefore am inclined to take his comments at face value.

Many here are assuming that Dan has had contact with Georgetown and has walked away from any interest in the job. Given that Georgetown has aimed very high reportedly reaching out with big money to well established coaches (Brey at ND, Smart at UT, and Mack at X) at extremely successful programs, could it be that the situation is the reverse? Is it possible that it was made known to Dan that the Hoyas were not interested in him? If that were the case, it might help explain why he has not made a statement denying interest in the GU job (which might not be the case) and why he seems to have felt free to speak as he has been. Just throwing it out there as another possible scenario.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think Dan was contacted, either directly or indirectly, to gauge his potential interest.

He may have told them then that he wasn't interested, or he could have sat on it for a while, in order to increase his leverage in talks with URI over an extension and program improvements.

The only issue I can see, is if Dan and URI for some reason continue to drag their talks out trying to come to an agreement.

I think the two sides must be very close by now....or I sure hope so.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And I'm 99.9% sure that Dan was one of them.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

TP, why are you assuming that he was offered
either St. John's or Georgetown?
Plenty of reports said that he was never offered by St. John's.
Zero evidence that Georgetown offered, either.
If they were trying to pry Smart, Mack,Marshall, Cooley,
and others, where does Hurley fit in resume wise
with those coaches?
Rambone, you're 99% sure he was offered?
Based on WHAT?
This board is getting like X Files.
Just imagine anything, conversations, scenarios, and say it's true.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yes. Very likely Dan's agent and media allies float his name. Not that he wasn't a credible candidate, but floating his name has no negative effect.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, I didn't mean he was offered...just that he was likely contacted. And said no.

Same as Cooley. Sorry for the mixup.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I was half asleep, but I believe Dan indicated on channel 10 news that he was staying here.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:TP, why are you assuming that he was offered
either St. John's or Georgetown?
Plenty of reports said that he was never offered by St. John's.
Zero evidence that Georgetown offered, either.
If they were trying to pry Smart, Mack,Marshall, Cooley,
and others, where does Hurley fit in resume wise
with those coaches?
Rambone, you're 99% sure he was offered?
Based on WHAT?
This board is getting like X Files.
Just imagine anything, conversations, scenarios, and say it's true.
I don't know where you are getting the idea that I said he was offered the head coaching job at St Johns or Georgetown. My whole point on this thread is that we don't know anything. Especially with respect to Georgetown, we have no idea who they have or haven't reached out to (which is not the same as offering the job), other than the three guys we know turned them down.

Obviously those guys would be ahead of Hurley on a school's wish list, but it's also clear that the job isn't appealing to guys of that pedigree, so they're going to have to work down their list. Who else is on that list, and what the order is, and how far down it they will need to go in order to find someone that wants the job are all unknowns at this point.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So, Rambone, he said "no" without knowing anything about what
they were paying or perks?
Oh, OK...
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This isn't over yet?
1 x
GO RAMS
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Again, no evidence that it ever had begun,
except in the imaginations of some.
I'd like to believe that Dan's upcoming extension, was not
in any way connected to this non starter.
On Dan Yorke's show, Dan looked and sounded more
relaxed than I've ever seen him.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I just feel like if the money/situation is good at URI for Dan then he doesn't want the headache of going elsewhere.

I get the vibe he doesn't want to put himself in a challenging situation of moving and taking on something else with all the stress involved. Just look at him now versus the past. He must feel like a new man.

Take on any new program and put himself through all the learning and calibrating. Plus move his family a thousand miles?

**Also: this board makes every place not in RI seem like heaven on earth. Which is extremely Rhode Island to do.

Zero insider talk. Although this year I spoke to a legit insider and learned more in 20 minutes than I ever learned in 10 years on this board. Lots of negative.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Most of us are just fans and are not insiders. Some know more than others. Some think they know more than others.

That's the case on most if not all message boards.

The ones that know important inside info also usually don't share that info with others on message boards. In pm's sometimes, but not in general.

As for me speculating about whether or nor Dan was contacted, if he was he probably at least listened to the job details before saying anything....again just an opinion not based on any real knowledge of the situation.

As far as I can tell no one on this board really knows anything about what went down with the GTown job...we're all just making guesses as people on message boards do most of the time.

We're throwing darts blindfolded. Most of them will miss.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, agreed about Dan's demeanor. Makes sense that he's planning to coach longer now.

A lot of pressure got lifted off his shoulders. But there will always be more. His job here isn't finished here, not by a long shot, but at least he's got the biggest monkey off his back.

The way he coached in the NCAAT was telling....I think the crazy man sideline routine has mostly run it's course.

Dan knew he had to tone it down last season, and he did that also..... or he would have ended up in the nut house with most of us.......

Dan is known on the A10 board as the Pageant Mom.....they need to put that to bed.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: Dan is known on the A10 board as the Pageant Mom.....they need to put that to bed.
Pay no attention to the A-10 board. It is a cesspool full of buffoons that are detached from reality and know very little. They only see what they want and ignore all else. They have hated Hurley since day one and they have personally attacked him for years in a very nasty way just because they did not care for his intensity on the sideline. I for one think their poor judgement, behavior, and animosity have been more troubling than Dan's actions. The irony of course is that there was an out of control coach in the league for many recent years. A-10 board posters however were very oblivious to his bad behavior and never raised concerns. That behavior ended up being so bad that his own players eventually turned on him and his university ultimately was forced to fire him for abusive and unbecoming conduct. That coach was Mike Lonergan at GW. The A-10 board idiots over the last few years passed quick judgement on Dan based on a small part of the complete picture. They have shown that they really don't have a good full measure of things. While Dan is demonstrative on the sideline, it is because he is passionate and protective of his guys. The only opinion about Dan that really matters is that of his players and they seem to love him.
8 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I just feel like if the money/situation is good at URI for Dan then he doesn't want the headache of going elsewhere.

I get the vibe he doesn't want to put himself in a challenging situation of moving and taking on something else with all the stress involved. Just look at him now versus the past. He must feel like a new man.

Take on any new program and put himself through all the learning and calibrating. Plus move his family a thousand miles?

**Also: this board makes every place not in RI seem like heaven on earth. Which is extremely Rhode Island to do.

Zero insider talk. Although this year I spoke to a legit insider and learned more in 20 minutes than I ever learned in 10 years on this board. Lots of negative.
SWPG,
When you say you learned a lot in 20 minutes talking to a legit insider, then you said "Lots of negative", did you mean lots of negative about this message board being the opinion from this insider? or was it lots of negative about the Basketball Program? or negative about more than just the Basketball Program? Sorry if it wasn't clear to me.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:Couple things - I think the actual percentage is 9%, not 15%. Also, that means that the state only covers (theoretically) 9% of his base compensation which is paid by the University. His total compensation is made up of several different pieces, all of which outside the base salary include 0% state contributions. The state's real dollar contribution, in terms of taxpayer spending, to Hurley's compensation is likely under $50,000. In no real sense does it even make sense to call him a "state employee."
TP,
Would the only amount of DH's Salary that is provided by the State be the $300K? In this case only $27K ($300K times 9% of base salary) of his potential $855K salary would be provided by Taxpayers, right? This would represent 3.12% of his Total Potential Salary coming from RI Taxpayers.

RF1,
Would you agree that the rest of the Compensation and bonus potential comes from sources other than the State of Rhode Island? I'm assuming that the bonuses for NIT invite, A10 COY, NCAA Bonuses are not paid by the State, right?

Base Salary: $300,000
Guaranteed $175,000 from home gate receipts escalates by 15k each yr)
Guaranteed $65,000 for an away pay game
Guaranteed $50,000 for radio & tv appearances
Guaranteed $10,000 to participate in other athletic events & URI functions
Guaranteed $12,000 vehicle stipend (paid by FBC)
$5,000 paid by FBC if it raises more than 150K
$25,000 if gross home ticket receipts exceeds 1m
$7,500 for a team 2.5 GPA or $10,000 for a team 2.75 GPA
$8,000 for beach or country club membership (paid for by FBC)
$20,000 for winning A-10 regular season or A-10 Tournament championship
$20,000 for each game played in NCAA Tournament 1st,2nd, and 3rd round
$25,000 for each game played in NCAA Tournament beyond the 3rd round
$5,000 for an NIT invite
$5,000 for A-10 Coach of the Year
$10,000 for NCAA National Coach of the Year
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: RF1,
Would you agree that the rest of the Compensation and bonus potential comes from sources other than the State of Rhode Island? I'm assuming that the bonuses for NIT invite, A10 COY, NCAA Bonuses are not paid by the State, right?

$5,000 for an NIT invite

I think your numbers are out of date. The last contract extension signed in 2016 had:
  • Contract currently runs through 2021-22 season
    Guaranteed Portion of Hurley Contract:
    Gate Receipts Bonus: $590,000 in 2016-17 / $640,000 from the 2017-18 to 2021-22 seasons

Non Guaranteed:
    Buy Game: up to $65,000
    Radio/TV Appearances: $25,000
    Performance Bonuses:
    $5,000/NIT Game
    $20,000/NCAA Game (25k per game beyond round of 32)
    Adidas shoe & apparel Income (paid by Adidas direct to D Hurley)

Buyout if he left URI for another job: 2016-17 one-time payment of $1 million / one-time payment of $1.2 million between the 2017-18 and 2019-20 seasons

Other-Program commitments
    Funding four charter flights per season, providing a salary pool of $400,000 for assistant coaches and basketball staff and arranging for on-site meals after practices and games at the Ryan Center. $25,000 bonus pool to allocate to his assistant coaches and basketball staff as he sees fit.

Source: http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... -extension

Much of the Hurley salary comes from specific sources (gate receipts/buy game/radio-tv, apparel and sneaker) that I would think do not relate at all to taxpayers. I would assume that basically only his annual base salary of 300k comes from university general funds. If the state of RI funds URI at about 10% (I have seen lower percent estimates), taxpayers would contribute approximately 30k per year toward his compensation.

State taxpayers should really not have an issue with this amount given there are far bigger ticket items such as their taxes fully funding a multi million dollar annual subsidy for the Dunkin Donuts Center (above and beyond the initial 100M cost to purchase and renovate the arena).
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I guess New Mexico is looking for a coach now.

Charlie Scott Sports‏ @charliescott523 · 6h6 hours ago
Time for #UNM Basketball to stop the Bs. if they really want 2 build a Winning Program, Offer & pay $$$$ to @RhodeIsland Coach Danny Hurley
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Hahaha, Fordham will win a national championship before DH coaches in New Mexico.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I know. I enjoyed it too. Won't have to worry about this one.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:
ramster wrote: RF1,

$5,000 for an NIT invite

I think your numbers are out of date. The last contract extension signed in 2016 had:
  • Contract currently runs through 2021-22 season
    Guaranteed Portion of Hurley Contract:
    Gate Receipts Bonus: $590,000 in 2016-17 / $640,000 from the 2017-18 to 2021-22 seasons

Non Guaranteed:
    Buy Game: up to $65,000
    Radio/TV Appearances: $25,000
    Performance Bonuses:
    $5,000/NIT Game
    $20,000/NCAA Game (25k per game beyond round of 32)
    Adidas shoe & apparel Income (paid by Adidas direct to D Hurley)

Buyout if he left URI for another job: 2016-17 one-time payment of $1 million / one-time payment of $1.2 million between the 2017-18 and 2019-20 seasons

Other-Program commitments
    Funding four charter flights per season, providing a salary pool of $400,000 for assistant coaches and basketball staff and arranging for on-site meals after practices and games at the Ryan Center. $25,000 bonus pool to allocate to his assistant coaches and basketball staff as he sees fit.

Source: http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... -extension

Much of the Hurley salary comes from specific sources (gate receipts/buy game/radio-tv, apparel and sneaker) that I would think do not relate at all to taxpayers. I would assume that basically only his annual base salary of 300k comes from university general funds. If the state of RI funds URI at about 10% (I have seen lower percent estimates), taxpayers would contribute approximately 30k per year toward his compensation.

State taxpayers should really not have an issue with this amount given there are far bigger ticket items such as their taxes fully funding a multi million dollar annual subsidy for the Dunkin Donuts Center (above and beyond the initial 100M cost to purchase and renovate the arena).

RF1,
You are right. I had done a search and found that breakdown of the Salary, but then looked back and it was from 3 years ago in a "Why is this news" thread. It was posted by you, but again, I did not check the date. So maybe now the $300K is higher as the base?
But bottom line is that if the State only gives URI 9%, which is a number that has been quoted here frequently), then the $27k or whatever the number is, is not much that the RI Taxpayer puts up.
I also think what DH was half kidding about at the State House was probably more for Structural Enhancements at URI than it was for higher pay levels. Maybe wants the State to pay for a Basketball Practice Facility - can't hurt to spread the dreams everywhere he goes, right? Always fundraising.
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

9% is pathetic. I guarantee if we continue winning that can be leveraged to increase that percent. In the meantime alumni need to step up
0 x