The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

At the end of the clip Kourakis says Hurely's extension will be announced as early as Monday - not sure how much weight that carries but he is apparently the second local media member to say such.
1 x
Common sense is not common.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote: Is he going to turn down a job he hasn't been offered?
You can if you have no interest in it.

Almost like a premptive, "I've heard my name associated with Job X, but I have no interest in pursuing that opportunity."

It really doesn't mean anything though ... Ultimately, it could be the listening coach using the offering program for resources, it could be the other program using the listening coach for their own leverage, etc.

Wouldn't get too worried until the knowing twitter folks start leaking potential contract info.
Coaches don't come out and say I have no intetest in pursuing a job that they (or their agent/other behind the sene person) haven't been contacted about. That would alienate a lot of ADs and schools for any future opportunity. Not to mention how arrogant that would be. I can see GTown's response to that being "we were never interested in Dan Hurley. We aren't sure why he would think we were". Should Dan have a press conference to list all the open jobs he isn't interested in? Coaches don't do that. Cooley came out in a rare case because they did contact his people and his respect for his mentor JT2.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Can't turn down a job you haven't been offered.

3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

And what if they DO contact him?

I've heard that they could decide on a new coach by tomorrow, however..... which is an indication that if Dan hasn't been contacted by now, then he won't be.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote:And what if they DO contact him?

I've heard that they could decide on a new coach by tomorrow, however..... which is an indication that if Dan hasn't been contacted by now, then he won't be.
It appears he was contacted. It appears he turned it down.
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

If Hurley gets offered the job my guess is he'll take it.

We'll probabaly see one of two things, either Hurley gets offered the job and takes it or someone else is hired before Georgetown reaches Hurley on their list of potential coaches.

Georgetown is too good of a job for Hurley to pass up. They might not be a blue blood but it's probably one of the top 20 coaching jobs in the country. I'd love to see a tweet come out saying Hurley wasn't interested in Georgetown and wanted to stay at Rhode Island but I don't think that will happen.
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

theblueram wrote:

Where'd you see this?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You are probably right about that blueram.....but he might have waited a bit, to exert some leverage on URI in the meantime.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

josephski wrote:
theblueram wrote:

Where'd you see this?
Channel 10 News. Unless it's fake news because we know how that works.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

According to Carpano, it's happening tomorrow.

Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Right now Dan is holding all the cards....I can see a decent raise for him and his staff, and some substantial enhancements to the program.....and with more to come if he meets certain requirements in the next couple of years.....

URI will deliver in order to keep him from GTown......and now Dan needs to sustain this success....I also think he'll get a larger recruiting budget with charters included for that, plus more away game charters.

What Dayton and VCU have, URI must have to keep him around. If they want to be the big dog...they have to pay to feed it.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Channel 10? Frank Crapano? Seriously?
I can think of dozens of more connected and
reliable sources than a local TV outlet.
If Chris Disano said it, then I'd buy it.
If Goergetown just hired a search firm, they sure as hell
won't close any deal by tomorrow.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Channel 10? Frank Crapano? Seriously?
I can think of dozens of more connected and
reliable sources than a local TV outlet.
If Chris Disano said it, then I'd buy it.
If Goergetown just hired a search firm, they sure as hell
won't close any deal by tomorrow.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Carpano either. We'll see.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Is it fake news?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, Carpano was at the State House today with the team and Dan....my guess he was told there....

Also CasualHoya has said that the search firm could have been on board at the beginning...they just can't confirm that.

These programs are tighter lipped than the FBI is nowadays.....

I will say, why doesn't Koch has this info? And tweeted it.

URI won't confirm it until it's done.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

theblueram wrote:Is it fake news?
It's from Friar Frank so who knows
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm guessing Koch was covering high school sports today.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He wasn't at the State House.....more important stuff to do I guess......

Will should have been there.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

If he's implying a contract extension automatically means Hurley's staying then yes, it's essentially "fake news". If Hurley actually said he plans on staying no matter what jobs are offered to him then that's different.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

You think Friar Frank would not throw the negative of Dan to GU? If he had it? So is this a double negative where he praises Dan knowing he is going to GU? OK.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well he said Dan is staying....he could only say that if Dan told him that....if not that's irresponsible journalism at it's finest.

Even though I'm not a fan of him either I tend to believe it. If it's not true he should be tarred and feathered.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I doubt frank would lie about something this local.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

theblueram wrote:
josephski wrote:
theblueram wrote:
Where'd you see this?
Channel 10 News. Unless it's fake news because we know how that works.

I watched the Channel 10 news. At no point did Carpano give any indication that Hurley was offered the Georgetown job or that he turned it down. He spoke only of the contract extension.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This all makes sense....Dan signs, then goes to the FF with Thorr afterward.....GTown announces tomorrow, and it's not Dan.

Watching those kids today, they looked happy...they didn't look like they were about to lose their coach......if Dan were to bail now that would be a giant kick in the balls to all of them.....just don't see him leaving now.....URI is going to give Dan as much as they can to keep him....not GTown money of course but closer.....if Dan truly wants to become like another Mark Few, then he stays and keeps things moving in a positive direction.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't think Carpano would "lie," I just don't think he's sophisticated enough about sports to really understand the situation. I could see him asking Dan as he walks by "are you going to Georgetown?" and Dan being like "I'm only focused on this school and this team and looking forward to next year" and Carpano missing the fact that's a non-answer. I mean, if he understood the situation better, he'd realize he was first on a national scoop and would have probably reported it differently. Just my sense (having not actually seen his report, FWIW).
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote:I don't think Carpano would "lie," I just don't think he's sophisticated enough about sports to really understand the situation. I could see him asking Dan as he walks by "are you going to Georgetown?" and Dan being like "I'm only focused on this school and this team and looking forward to next year" and Carpano missing the fact that's a non-answer. I mean, if he understood the situation better, he'd realize he was first on a national scoop and would have probably reported it differently. Just my sense (having not actually seen his report, FWIW).

The only mention of Gtown in Carpano's report was that Hurley has been linked to that job. From there he goes on to say that they are wrapping up the details of a contract extension and that Hurley is looking forward to coming back to URI next year. Actually, I believe Hurley said that himself in the interview. There was no mention of him being offered or turning down the Gtwon job.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Well if he stays, it would be nice to have confirmation he turned down GU. Might assist in this annual coaching carousel.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

theblueram wrote:Well if he stays, it would be nice to have confirmation he turned down GU. Might assist in this annual coaching carousel.

you're making the assumption that GU made him an offer.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, so I guess there's enough vagueness there to suggest that this isn't quite over yet...but my feeling is, that it is.

I'm going to stick to what I said in my post above....I will really be shocked if he leaves.

If Dan is getting what he wants...and by signing this extension it seems like that's the case, then it's good enough to keep him here.....for another year anyway.

Other coaches have signed extensions and bolted the next day...but I don't think that's happening here with this guy. If he were to do so, then so long farewell don't let the door hit you on the way out.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

rambone 78 wrote:Yeah, so I guess there's enough vagueness there to suggest that this isn't quite over yet...but my feeling is, that it is.

I'm going to stick to what I said in my post above....I will really be shocked if he leaves.

If Dan is getting what he wants...and by signing this extension it seems like that's the case, then it's good enough to keep him here.....for another year anyway.

Other coaches have signed extensions and bolted the next day...but I don't think that's happening here with this guy. If he were to do so, then so long farewell don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I tend to agree with you Rambone, but I don't think anyone will feel 100% confident until someone else is hired at GU. It was a long time ago, but didn't Harrick go back and forth on the GA job? First he was gone....Then he was staying...Then gone again. Contracts and extensions mean nothing....
1 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I feel a lot better about him staying now. I'm convinced Dan's heart is now and will be in RI for the foreseeable future. He has an outstanding relationship with Thorr and Dooley. Having your president an athletic directors full support and trust is huge. They are accommodating him across the board. Our team will be loaded next year and the pressure is off a bit. Why go to GTown and rebuild for 2+ years and struggle in the Big EAst. He has this program positioned for long term success and will be paid very well. The grass is not always greener on the other side. God forbid he couldn't turn GTown around he would be out of a job in 3 years. Dan hates losing more than anything and unfortunately Gtown is not positioned for success for at least 2 years. Rhody is on the rise why Gtowns stock is falling. Go Rhody! I wish next year would start already.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Rambone, I'm really curious where you're getting this
"Georgetown must hire by Friday" scenario?
Nothing I've read on their sites say anything is
remotely imminent.
As for being offered the job, nobody knows.
What I do know is, everyone said he was offered the
St.John's job, when in fact, it never happened.
Lots of erroneous assumptions around the coaching
merry-go-round.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I will say this: if it turns out that Dan was offered the Georgetown job and didn't take it, not only would I be absolutely shocked, I couldn't imagine what job he would possibly leave for. I obviously want Dan to stay next year and probably forever, but you just never (or hardly ever) see guys pass up jobs like the Georgetown job to stay at places like URI. That would show character of a kind I don't think anyone could ever reasonably expect. I want everyone to love URI the way I do, but I'm realistic to know not everyone will.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I think there was a report that G'Town "would like to get it done by the Final Four". But there's a lot of vagary in that statement. Plus, it was just something someone tweeted and not an official word from the school. They'd never publicly tie themselves to a timeline.
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

They haven't really publicly done anything. This thing is by far the most leak-free thing happening in D.C.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Why doesn't Trump tweet some news about the Georgetown job?
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

He probably doesn't know what a basketball is.
It is orange, so there's that......
1 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

If Dan stays and it turns out he did indeed turn down GTown, I think the only job he would leave for in the near-term would be Seton Hall. So let's keep our fingers crossed that Willard stays there for a long time and that program keeps progressing as well.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Georgetown is 5000X better job than Seton Hall. If he turned down Georgetown (which, again, I would be shocked by), you're talking about probably Syracuse, Villanova, UConn ??? I'm trying to think of jobs that are in the northeast that are better jobs than Georgetown, and there are not a lot of them.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:He probably doesn't know what a basketball is.
It is orange, so there's that......
If he finds a basketball and he concludes they are related (not far fetched), we could have a basketball on the National Security Council.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And Syracuse is a long way from Jersey City.
0 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Being a Jersey guy and growing up 10 minutes from Seton Hall, perhaps I'm overvaluing the whole "Jersey" thing. But I do know that Dan is very proud of his home state and reveres his father. So I don't discount the location.

Aside from being his alma mater, that is also THE NJ basketball job, not the school he's already turned down a pair of times.

Yes, there are probably 50 more high profile gigs, but Seton Hall can keep Dan well paid and it's hard to argue it being a perfect fit for him.

Dan turned St. Ben's into a national powerhouse (and mutually refused to play against his father) during his time there. His roots in the state couldn't run any deeper for hoops.

My point about Seton Hall versus the GTown job was based on his actions to date, Dan seems to be moved more by "fit" and quality of life than cash and if he indeed turns down GTown, prestige.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Not being from Jersey, maybe I just don't get it. But from a New England perspective I've never really thought of Seton Hall as particularly prestigious. I know they have good history that was mostly before my time, but not I guess not totally before Dan's time. IDK, maybe you're right.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Dan's been busy...

Dan Schwartzman‏ @TheSchwartzNBC · 6m6 minutes ago

 chatting with @RhodyMBB Head Coach @dhurley15 right now on @GoingDeepNBC @NBCSportsRadio
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Dan also has some not so great memories from Seton Hall, right?
0 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

On the heels of a championship game screw job, 1-point OT loss to Michigan in '89, Seton Hall recruited 2 of the top 3 players from the consensus #1 High School team in the country (St Anthony's coached by Bob Hurley Sr.) for the incoming class: Terry Dehere and Jerry Walker. The 3rd player named Bobby Hurly Jr wound up choosing Duke haha. As sophomores in 1991, that team won the Big East tournament before losing to UNLV in the Elite 8.

A few years later Dan chose Seton Hall and famously guarded his older brother as a freshman in a 1992 Sweet 16 loss.

PJ Carlesimo left for the NBA a few years later, got choked by Sprewell and the Seton Hall program never could get back to that level.

Dan wound up leaving school and playing out his eligibility for George Blaney. I remember Seton Hall upsetting St Johns his senior year and Dan talking tons of shit and taking a bow to the MSG crowd.

Tommy Amaker looked like the answer for a hot minute with a Sweet 16 run followed by a #1 recruiting class. But that class did nothing of note (including losing to Rhody in the '03 NIT).

Only recently has Willard put the program back on the map. And if Whitehead had stayed for a 2nd year like he should have, they would have been a top 10 team all year. Such is the new normal in college hoops.

(End Seton Hall history rant haha)
Last edited by mstyles22 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

TruePoint wrote:I don't think Carpano would "lie," I just don't think he's sophisticated enough about sports to really understand the situation. I could see him asking Dan as he walks by "are you going to Georgetown?" and Dan being like "I'm only focused on this school and this team and looking forward to next year" and Carpano missing the fact that's a non-answer. I mean, if he understood the situation better, he'd realize he was first on a national scoop and would have probably reported it differently. Just my sense (having not actually seen his report, FWIW).
:lol: That is a whole lot of speculation on a conversation that you dreamed up and a report that you did not see! I'm starting to think you just don't like your local sportscaster.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Dan will be staying in RI.
Source: my psychic ability. :P
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey