The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by ramster »

Ron Hunter was born and raised in West Dayton. His Mother and Father still live there. Coached at IUPUI prior to Georgia State.

Jeff Goodman‏ @GoodmanESPN
Another candidate in mix at Dayton, sources told ESPN: Georgia State's Ron Hunter.
3:23 PM · Mar 29, 2017
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Just wanted to confirm this....Dan and Thorr going to the FF tomorrow?

If they do, that kind of clinches that he's staying.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The Final 4 is a little over 48 hours away. Georgetown has to do something soon, right?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:The Final 4 is a little over 48 hours away. Georgetown has to do something soon, right?
I would think so, but it's not an absolute necessity.

The FF is the place for coaches and AD's to see their peers and do some networking.

Not sure if Dan went last year.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Anthony Grant, a Dayton alumnus, was an assistant to Donovan at Florida, head coach at VCU, head coach at Alabama, and is an NBA assistant to Donovan at Oklahoma City.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Seems like a good hire he has been with Donovan a long time
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RF1 wrote:Anthony Grant, a Dayton alumnus, was an assistant to Donovan at Florida, head coach at VCU, head coach at Alabama, and is an NBA assistant to Donovan at Oklahoma City.
wow, thats a damn good hire for them. If they dont have any recruits back out they ought to be a lock top 3 again
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

New coach isn't going to just magically make freshmen play like seasoned vets. Returning Dayton players scored 2 points vs witchita state they are gonna be in for a down year one way or another.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

EGram wrote:New coach isn't going to just magically make freshmen play like seasoned vets. Returning Dayton players scored 2 points vs witchita state they are gonna be in for a down year one way or another.
Freshmen that talented with a coach as good as Grant...yeah thats scary.
0 x
---
---
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

With Davis, Williams, and Cunningham, they should be compete for a top 4 spot.
0 x
Go Rhody
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
EGram wrote:New coach isn't going to just magically make freshmen play like seasoned vets. Returning Dayton players scored 2 points vs witchita state they are gonna be in for a down year one way or another.
Freshmen that talented with a coach as good as Grant...yeah thats scary.
How good is Grant though? He had success at VCU then was unsuccessful at Alabama. Reading the Dayton board it doesn't seem like many of their fans are overly excited about the hire and I can't blame them.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

More from Casual Hoya on the search firm:

that they allow for communication between schools and coaches, while allowing deniability:

Example #1: "I have had no discussion with Georgetown or any other school about their open coaching position."

Example #2: "We have not contacted any currently employed coach about the position."

Example #3: "The only AD and President I have spoken to are my own."
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rodfromcranston wrote:More from Casual Hoya on the search firm:

that they allow for communication between schools and coaches, while allowing deniability:

Example #1: "I have had no discussion with Georgetown or any other school about their open coaching position."

Example #2: "We have not contacted any currently employed coach about the position."

Example #3: "The only AD and President I have spoken to are my own."
Search firms definitely do give you that plausible deniability. I think Hurley's comment about only having spoken to the URI AD and President could be read that way; it can also obviously be read as a face value comment that he either hasn't been contacted about or isn't pursuing another job. Basically, given the context that it could be a deliberately misleading but ultimately truthful statement, it is not much more informative than saying nothing at all - which is maybe the point.

Honestly, I think the casual hoya guys latching onto that statement as evidence that something is obviously in the works with Hurley is a bit of a stretch. That read on it is Georgetown spin, but that is their wont and their right. I certainly wouldn't dismiss the idea that Hurley has spoken to Tagliabue and/or the search firm - it doesn't contradict his comments to CBS radio. It is also not the most plain or obvious reading of his comments, either.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

It's more than a bit of a stretch . It's absurd to use it as evidence that something is up imo.

If you wanna say it doesn't totally remove the possibility that Hurley has not talked with the Gtown search firm that's fine. But its much more likely the meaning was plain Hurley did not mean for people to be reading into every little thing unsaid.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The suspense is killing me!
0 x
GO RAMS
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

It seems like the search firm also provides cover for G'Town, if a candidate turns them down they won't lose face. "The University never offered the job to Coach X" I guess that is close to bullet #2.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The reason folks should be concerned is because there has been no real explicit deniability. If he weren't offered or even remotely considering it, he would've come out and said that he is without a doubt staying here, sort of the same way the Brey and Smart camps did. I believe there is something going on, and the sides are going over particulars since this is a higher profile gig. It makes too much "cents". It easy to say it's not about money if one is only taking a couple hundred thousand when your making a cool mil, but G'town could be potentially be prepared to double or triple his salary....Georgetown is a legacy defining school, that can contend for a national chip again....URI, not so much, and that's just being frank with not only myself, but our collective selves.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote:The reason folks should be concerned is because there has been no real explicit deniability. If he weren't offered or even remotely considering it, he would've come out and said that he is without a doubt staying here, sort of the same way the Brey and Smart camps did. I believe there is something going on, and the sides are going over particulars since this is a higher profile gig. It makes too much "cents". It easy to say it's not about money if one is only taking a couple hundred thousand when your making a cool mil, but G'town could be potentially be prepared to double or triple his salary....Georgetown is a legacy defining school, that can contend for a national chip again....URI, not so much, and that's just being frank with not only myself, but our collective selves.
:roll:

he has explicitly said he has only talked to Dooley and Thorr..."i havent been offered" doesnt get any more clear than that! There is no chance in hell an offer gets made to ANY coach without it coming from the Georgetown president and/or AD

and it is known they are working on another extension....one in which he clearly is negotiating for more $$ for program improvements.
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
---
---
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Oh man, naivety at its finest.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

DC_Rams wrote:The reason folks should be concerned is because there has been no real explicit deniability. If he weren't offered or even remotely considering it, he would've come out and said that he is without a doubt staying here, sort of the same way the Brey and Smart camps did. I believe there is something going on, and the sides are going over particulars since this is a higher profile gig. It makes too much "cents". It easy to say it's not about money if one is only taking a couple hundred thousand when your making a cool mil, but G'town could be potentially be prepared to double or triple his salary....Georgetown is a legacy defining school, that can contend for a national chip again....URI, not so much, and that's just being frank with not only myself, but our collective selves.
Screw you.....URI can and will be a nationally recognized program as long as the school stays committed to the program which at this point they clearly are.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

We know how Dan and his agent handles these advances from other schools. He always listens to gauge his market value and to advance his situation at URI -- or one day he will choose to move to a great situation.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Is he going to turn down a job he hasn't been offered? Cooley did and that's fine but I'm not going to blame Hurley for not doing that.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Honestly, this isn't an unreasonable take overall. But where you're wrong is in your opening assumption that because he hasn't directly addressed and denied it, something must be up. This is the same approach he has taken in previous instances where he was courted by another school. In each of those cases, he took advantage of the leverage to secure a better deal for himself and better investments in the basketball program at URI. That doesn't make the rest of what you said flat wrong, but it does provide important context for understanding what could be happening right now. I say "could be" because none of us are privy to the conversations that Dan is having with people at URI or anywhere else, so truthfully we don't have any idea what is actually happening.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Iggy1979 wrote: Is he going to turn down a job he hasn't been offered?
You can if you have no interest in it.

Almost like a premptive, "I've heard my name associated with Job X, but I have no interest in pursuing that opportunity."

It really doesn't mean anything though ... Ultimately, it could be the listening coach using the offering program for resources, it could be the other program using the listening coach for their own leverage, etc.

Wouldn't get too worried until the knowing twitter folks start leaking potential contract info.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

giovanni wrote:
So going back to last Thursday now been 8 days, a long time to fill a spot.

Does Georgetown announce today? Friday? During the Final 4? After the Final 4?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Guys, remember all these times Jim Baron was in the national spotlight after a great season with all those major programs and fanbases publicly clamoring for him? All the national press junkets he was doing?

I remember Baron's "offer" from Virginia Tech (literally no evidence of this anywhere) that he used to make sure the athletic department and school would commit more investments to the basketball program....or was that just an albatross of a contract that lined his pockets and hamstrung us for a decade? I can never remember.

Just a happy reminder of how far we've come. Give me this kind of talk over "the process" any day.
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I just doubt this is the right year for Dan to come out. If he didn't leave Hass how could he leave his favorite EC?
Not too mention the other seniors.
It's not like this will be the last time a big time school will be offering big time money to him. So long as he continues leading this program on the upswing.

He has team coming back next year that can compete for a final four, especially if we add a good big.
Some may think that's crazy, but uh we were just a bucket away from beating a final four team in the second round a a couple weeks ago. Look at South Carolina n VCU before them.

There should be minimal concern he leaves now.
Last edited by PeterRamTime 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That was a long hamstrung injury :cry:
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Tom98 wrote:
Screw you.....URI can and will be a nationally recognized program as long as the school stays committed to the program which at this point they clearly are.
Screw me for thinking the chances of winning a chip is very, very, VERY LOW?! Ok, well screw me. I would love it, but I will revel in continued progress and success of the program. Danny knows his name is being strongly linked to the GU opening, there is also a reason behind his calculated/political responses. Albeit, this is all my OPINION, btw....
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Again, there will never be a time when any coach leaving,
won't be leaving behind players he recruited.
That's not a reason for them to stay.
April 1st 1999 was when Harrick finally left.
April 7th 1988 was when Penders left.
Both after the Final Four in those years.
1 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Perhaps Dan hasn't talked to anyone but Thor and Dooley because his agent has been doing the talking...?
1 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

I'd be concerned if I fired a coach who took the team to a final 4 and replaced him with Tommy Amaker.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote:That was a long hamstrung injury :cry:
Terry Glenn thinks it was excessive
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I doubt Carpano has any new information, but I'll check it out to see what he says.

Frank Carpano‏ @NBC10_FrankCarp · 7m7 minutes ago
The latest on rumors of @GeorgetownHoyas interest in @RhodyMBB coach Dan Hurley. Watch @nbc10 at 6:20pm @dhurley15 @universityofri
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I dont really cheer for URI in the context of whether or not they win or can win a National title.

But this year they were 1/32 with a shot at it. 3 points away from being 1/16 with a legit shot. Not to mention 3 points away from being only 3 games away from the national championship game. Thats pretty close.

I won't be surprised if Georgetown wins a title in the rest of my lifetime or if they dont. It is a coaches sport except when its a players game. You bet on the coaches not the programs to win titles until an impressive group of players come along.

Brad Stevens took Butler there from the Horizon. If you can coach then you can do it from anywhere. If you can't coach then you are better off taking the big check and recruiting the Myck Kabongos of the world and hoping they dont end up having the career that Kabongo had. Of course coaching isn't an all or nothing thing.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Carpamo just said Hurley will be back next year.
1 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

So where are the tweets?
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
Brad Stevens took Butler there from the Horizon. If you can coach then you can do it from anywhere. If you can't coach then you are better off taking the big check and recruiting the Myck Kabongos of the world and hoping they dont end up having the career that Kabongo had. Of course coaching isn't an all or nothing thing.
Dang, why are you taking shots at Myck on a board of a team coached by Dan Hurley? That's his guy.
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Heresy!
SPG must be drawn and quartered, for saying something
negative about a former Hurley high school player!
Also, well, if Frank Crapano said it, wowie!
Must be true.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote:Heresy!
Also, well, is Frank Crapano said it, wowie!
Must be true.
I know you don't like me, but that was pretty clearly a joke. My goodness, sir.
Last edited by ace 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Still waiting to hear from someone other than Carpano......if he said this on the air then I would assume it to be true, I hope.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Just saying nothing is a slam dunk. Presumably you would take a job where you can recruit those players from programs like DH's high school team and find success. But those things aren't absolute.

Also I know plenty of guys that played elite level college sports and pro sports. Personally I don't get bothered when people point out their shortcomings.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ace wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Heresy!
Also, well, is Frank Crapano said it, wowie!
Must be true.
I know you don't like me, but that was pretty clearly a joke. My goodness, sir.
Don't forget the power of the smiley face @ace

:)
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Just saying nothing is a slam dunk. Presumably you would take a job where you can recruit those players from programs like DH's high school team and find success. But those things aren't absolute.

Also I know plenty of guys that played elite level college sports and pro sports. Personally I don't get bothered when people point out their shortcomings.
Does anyone? Results speak for themselves. Myck in particular listened to the wrong people at the most wrong times and never really got over that suspension at Texas.

Please allow him to redeem himself with these old tweets (I'm still joking and not really taking this serious, FWIW)-

Last edited by ace 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

so is Dan staying? Is this opinion or fact?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"I know you don't like me, but that was pretty clearly a joke. My goodness, sir."

So was my response.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

ace wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Just saying nothing is a slam dunk. Presumably you would take a job where you can recruit those players from programs like DH's high school team and find success. But those things aren't absolute.

Does anyone? Results speak for themselves. Myck in particular listened to the wrong people at the most wrong times and never really got over that suspension at Texas.
I'm sorry, I thought you were. nbd, I agree about the results, on a much higher level its like criticizing Charles Barkley. Its rare-air that people will criticize a person for not leading a team to an NBA championship.

I follow one other school and I have seen Kabongo's name thrown out there in describing what recruits look like on film. Thats a high comparison.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I renewed my season tickets yesterday morning and my daughter got her acceptance letter to URI that afternoon. Has to be a sign. No?
11 x